Photo

[Removed] Sandrah NPC

• Please log in to reply
1192 replies to this topic

#261 miker17

miker17
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

I have question.... about That bandit quest in waterdeep. Can you please tell me where is Sewer ?

#262 Evani

Evani
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hello,

I have recently installed an exhaustive BWS setup and restarting BGT with Sandrah. The combination adds a lot of content and given how many times I've played vanilla BGT, I'm likely to speed run through a lot of things till TOB and miss out stuff, especially when I usually don't switch party members very often.

Apart from the hints and the not-a-walkthrough( which covers the story), could you tell me which characters Sandrah needs to interact with in order to gain her abilities(and what they do) and upgrades?

Thanks!

Edited by Evani, 05 July 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#263 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

Yeah, that's what the google search answer for the "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 834" -line says too.
@Samriel: The fun thing is, you failed to properly make a clone of your game install, and so you should do that properly first... aka, remove the game you have modified, uninstall the primary game, remove that game folder and reinstall the game there again, and then copy the game directory, and properly change the [Alias] -lines in it, start that game and then install the megamod on top of that. So:
Good that I did not install it in the original copy as I would need to reinstall it all with mods and stuff all over again.

Actually no, not at all.

Is it theoretically possible to have two working installations of the game at the same time?

Let us assume that I had installed the game and so did an install wit plenty of mods which seems to work quite well. However, I decided to add one more mod but I fear installing it in the folder where I installed everything before since I fear that it might screw up what was working well before.

So could I do a BWS install in a WORKING clean copy of my BG2 install or would the install from before get in my way/cause potential malfunctions even if I changed the path of my copy version in  baldur.ini?

Or would I have to uninstall EVERYTHING then and do a BWS install after installing the game again?

The thing with Sandrah is that it needs to be installed the last so I kinda fear adding new mods to my already existing installation and uninstalling and reinstalling everything takes TONS of time...

Is there no was to keep a "safe" game backup(with installed mods) while trying to experiment by adding new stuff on a copy?

Or should I try my chances by simply installing the one extra mod I want in the working game folder MANUALLY and hope that it somehow will be installed before the Sandrah mod?

Edited by Samriel, 06 July 2015 - 12:26 AM.

#264 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5155 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

Is it theoretically possible to have two working installations of the game at the same time?
It's not just a theory. But you have to do it correctly from the start.

Let us assume that I had installed the game and so did an install wit plenty of mods which seems to work quite well.
So could I do a BWS install in a WORKING clean copy of my BG2 install or would the install from before get in my way/cause potential malfunctions even if I changed the path of my copy version in baldur.ini?
I would advice you to run the Setup BiG World Setup.vbs file and run the restore a clean back up from it, yes, the program has that function if you made it available for you(it takes a bit of space, but it's very small), and in the case you didn't, just use the Windows Control Panel to remove the game, and then reinstall it. After that, you can exit from the BWS and make a copy of the game folder, as it's now a clean game folder.
PS: But read on... 

However, I decided to add one more mod but I fear installing it in the folder where I installed everything before since I fear that it might screw up what was working well before.
Well, in this case you don't need the BWS, just a lots of space in your hard drive as you need to copy the modified game to as separated folder, edit the baldur.ini to lead to this folder, and then just install the mod there, manually.

...or would the install from before get in my way/cause potential malfunctions even if I changed the path of my copy version in baldur.ini?
If you did it correctly it won't have any effects on the original install, but if you did it wrong, you are pretty screwed, as you have to start from the beginning, to have a clean install.
Now you can use this same trick in to a megamoded game, but the BWS won't be able to adjust to it, but you can then use the manual method to install mods.

The thing with Sandrah is that it needs to be installed the last so I kinda fear adding new mods to my already existing installation and uninstalling and reinstalling everything takes TONS of time...
Yeah, and which mod didn't ? You have to understand that the mod author is always just looking after their own hides when saying things like that. You can place any mod that "requires" this after the aTweaks mod and you'll likely be in the correct spot as the Generalized Biffing and Widescreen mods are still after that.

Or should I try my chances by simply installing the one extra mod I want in the working game folder MANUALLY and hope that it somehow will be installed before the Sandrah mod?
After the BWS has made it's install, you can go copy the whole megamoded game folder and then redirect the [Alias]*es, you can then go and manually uninstall mods, but you have to do it one at a time, and manually, as the BWS can't handle the manually changed folder.

Edited by The Imp, 06 July 2015 - 01:27 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#265 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:34 AM

Hmmm, got some new questions.

Spoiler

Spoiler

2. Any plans to add maybe some flirts-initiated by the PC- to Sandrah? By that I do not mean just the love talks but ones that depend on how the relationship between her and the PC stands and/or reflects the most current events? Maybe even Sandrah offering some extra advice on what to do? She is already my party counselor so...^^
Her PID options are constantly evolving during the game, depending on your treatment and the quests you do. It is worth checking her from time to time, you should find new things after each new significant event.

3. Is Sandrah compatible and/or features content for mods that restore content like Unfinished Business or Almateria Restoration mod? I quite enjoy playing BG/BG2 with all kinds of restored content. :)
Which type of compatibility do you mean? I can see no issue why she is not compatible with these mods, even though the Sandrah mod finishes or elaborates some *unfinished* issues from the game herself. There was no overlap with the current version of UB, Sandrah recognises UB and BG1UB. I never tried Almateria, but my assumption is there will as well be no issues. From what I have read that mod restores things that were never in the game before, which means there will be no reaction/comment or such from Sandrah to those new things.

Btw I did a reinstall with biffing and the game is no longer slow. Thanks for the help guys!!

Edited by Roxanne, 06 July 2015 - 02:21 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#266 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:38 AM

I have question.... about That bandit quest in waterdeep. Can you please tell me where is Sewer ?

Spoiler

The Sandrah Saga

#267 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:47 AM

Hello,

I have recently installed an exhaustive BWS setup and restarting BGT with Sandrah. The combination adds a lot of content and given how many times I've played vanilla BGT, I'm likely to speed run through a lot of things till TOB and miss out stuff, especially when I usually don't switch party members very often.

Apart from the hints and the not-a-walkthrough( which covers the story), could you tell me which characters Sandrah needs to interact with in order to gain her abilities(and what they do) and upgrades?

Thanks!

The answer may be frustrating for your plan to rush through the game, but most likely Sandrah is not for you.

The story runs along the main plot of the PC including the major mods of BG1 (Dark Side, Northern Tales, Drizzt etc, etc.). There are also some longer diversions (e.g. to her hometown Waterdeep, that are required for her quest) Many issues are found in addition in those areas that had little content in the original game.

Regarding her upgrades and abilities - those depend very much on which party members you choose and which quests you do. Depending on which experience she makes in your company she will develop in different ways (and gain different abilities that way.)

The Sandrah Saga

#268 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

It's not just a theory. But you have to do it correctly from the start.

Let us assume that I had installed the game and so did an install wit plenty of mods which seems to work quite well.
So could I do a BWS install in a WORKING clean copy of my BG2 install or would the install from before get in my way/cause potential malfunctions even if I changed the path of my copy version in baldur.ini?

I would advice you to run the Setup BiG World Setup.vbs file and run the restore a clean back up from it, yes, the program has that function if you made it available for you(it takes a bit of space, but it's very small), and in the case you didn't, just use the Windows Control Panel to remove the game, and then reinstall it. After that, you can exit from the BWS and make a copy of the game folder, as it's now a clean game folder.
PS: But read on... 

However, I decided to add one more mod but I fear installing it in the folder where I installed everything before since I fear that it might screw up what was working well before.
Well, in this case you don't need the BWS, just a lots of space in your hard drive as you need to copy the modified game to as separated folder, edit the baldur.ini to lead to this folder, and then just install the mod there, manually.

...or would the install from before get in my way/cause potential malfunctions even if I changed the path of my copy version in baldur.ini?
If you did it correctly it won't have any effects on the original install, but if you did it wrong, you are pretty screwed, as you have to start from the beginning, to have a clean install.
Now you can use this same trick in to a megamoded game, but the BWS won't be able to adjust to it, but you can then use the manual method to install mods.

Yeah, and which mod didn't ? You have to understand that the mod author is always just looking after their own hides when saying things like that. You can place any mod that "requires" this after the aTweaks mod and you'll likely be in the correct spot as the Generalized Biffing and Widescreen mods are still after that.

Considering contents, Sandrah can be installed just after Aurora and Haiass, as those are the last mods in the BWP/BWS sequence it adds contents to, which otherwise will be lost.
However, I currently test the mod once again with a VERY LARGE all-you can have installation and start to find issues (I will avoid them in a next version but it may take some while until this can be accomplished) with some item/spell/tweak/strategy mods that now are installed after them. Those issues are that normal creatures and items are tweaked, relocated and overwritten by some mods, item locations are changed, creatures do not carry an expected item, etc. So until I found all these issues and found a solution for each, it is safe to install her as late as possible. (remember the mod is still under test)

After the BWS has made it's install, you can go copy the whole megamoded game folder and then redirect the [Alias]*es, you can then go and manually uninstall mods, but you have to do it one at a time, and manually, as the BWS can't handle the manually changed folder.

Looks like my comments got somehow misplaced above.

Edited by Roxanne, 06 July 2015 - 02:33 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#269 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5155 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:03 AM

Looks like my comments got somehow misplaced above.
That's the forum software... I wouldn't try to fix that, but color them with a blood:
 [color=#ff0000]-text-[/color] 

Also you might wish to toggle the BBCode Mode tag off-and-on... and remove a few of the lines you are not directly responding to so the post is not just a pyramid of earlier posts.

Edited by The Imp, 06 July 2015 - 03:19 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#270 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:19 AM

More questions ^^

Spoiler

Spoiler

3. Are there any points where stats like Charisma/Intelligence/Wisdom do play a role in quests or affect how characters react to you and/or provide new/different conversations? If not then are you considering perhaps implementing said feature?

4. Is it better -or obligatory- to choose Candlekeep Chores or a normal start of the SoA part?

Edited by Samriel, 06 July 2015 - 03:52 AM.

#271 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:53 AM

More questions ^^

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

It looks like you missed this quest. The Imoen/Henning relationship must have started before you go to the Bandit Camp. 

3. Are there any points where stats like Charisma/Intelligence/Wisdom do play a role in quests or affect how characters react to you? If not then are you considering perhaps implementing said feature?

There are some situations/conversations that take wisdom/charisma into account, however not in the relationship between Sandrah and the PC but in respect to outside people (e.g. with high enough WIS or CHA a dialogue option is given to the PC, otherwise Sandrah will compensate and help you out...)

4. Is it better -or obligatory- to choose Candlekeep Chores or a normal start of the SoA part?

The mod requires CtB only for the transition from BG1 to BG2. It does not matter at all which option you choose, the choice is only provided for players who do not want the interuption (even the FastForward option) during the transition.

Better is what you choose for yourself.

The Sandrah Saga

#272 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:45 AM

Very interesting, its a bit of a shame that Sandrah does not have reactions to those stats herself though. Like maybe being impressed by an insight that only a player with high wisdom got or finding a more charismatic PC to be more irresistible... :) Maybe even finding herself flabbergasted by dialogue options of a PC with a veeeeery low INT :shifty: :shifty:

Also one thing: I recall that Sandrah is not recruitable for evil PCs but the readme said that an evil PC can turn her into his/her enemy. Does it mean that if I created a PC with an evil alignment then Sandrah would appear in the game but not as a recruitable party member but as an enemy? Or does it apply only to when I get my reputation really low?

Also......what if I make evil decisions in hell by the end of SoA-Hell trials- and it changes my alignment to evil? Would Sandrah react to that somehow? I think it is an interesting option to consider^^

Edited by Samriel, 06 July 2015 - 04:55 AM.

#273 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:00 AM

Very interesting, its a bit of a shame that Sandrah does not have reactions to those stats herself though. Like maybe being impressed by an insight that only a player with high wisdom got or finding a more charismatic PC to be more irresistible... :) Maybe even finding herself flabbergasted by dialogue options of a PC with a veeeeery low INT :shifty: :shifty:

The way most mods deal with that is to have some eligibility checks for this at the beginning, e.g you have to have minimum INT or CHA to interest him/her. For the current test version I have not introduced these checks in order to receive as much feedback as possible. For a later version I will probably introduce some requirements, I cannot see her follow a dwarf fighter of low intelligence or a chaotic halfling sorcerer without charisma.

Also one thing: I recall that Sandrah is not recruitable for evil PCs but the readme said that an evil PC can turn her into his/her enemy. Does it mean that if I created a PC with an evil alignment then Sandrah would appear in the game but not as a recruitable party member but as an enemy? Or does it apply only to when I get my reputation really low?

She will not show up if you are evil from the beginning (This may be changed - see above - upon introduction of some more sophisticated checks). The reason I did that for the test version was fairplay for those willing to try the mod. .

Spoiler

She will react if you change during the game. There will also be reactions to low reputation (depending on what causes it).

Also......what if I make evil decisions in hell by the end of SoA and it changes my alignment to evil? Would Sandrah react to that somehow? I think it is an interesting option to consider^^

There are reactions - the outcome will depend on a number of other issues that may have accumulated by that time, e.g. your personal relationship at that time, the way you have dealt with her own quests and how far they have evolved (She may decide to stay with you if it is helpful and there is still a chance to change things until ToB end)

Edited by Roxanne, 06 July 2015 - 05:13 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#274 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

It would really be nice if Sandrah would not disappear if CHARNAME is evil ala Saerileth and Kova & Kiyone.

#275 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

It would really be nice if Sandrah would not disappear if CHARNAME is evil ala Saerileth and Kova & Kiyone.

After further consideration

I think for future versions I should allow an Evil PC as well, provided that some other Stats are acceptable. There are many options throughout the game to change, read tomes to improve stats, etc.

The best way would be to introduce (in addition to already existing) some checks during the game to see if PC and Sandrah are still compatible or drifting too far apart.

The real point of decision should not be at the beginning of BG1 but after the crucial Sandrah quest in the second half of ToB. At that point it will become clear if the PC is suitable for his/her role in RtF.

The downside of this would be that an NPC who went almost through the whole game with you could become your worst enemy in the end - but that would be fully in line with Sandrah's story and character (and it would probably not come as an unforeseeable surprise, you should have received enough indications/warnings before).

The Sandrah Saga

#276 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

Whoops triple post. How can one delete posts here?

Damn my internet connection...

Edited by Samriel, 06 July 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#277 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

I think that an evil PC trying to show that he/she can "self redeem" himself/herself through actions despite starting with an evil alignment-which can be due to the taint- and having to put a bit more of an effort. After all Bhaal's taint seems to make the "victim" more evil or at least affects the target by strengthening the evil within a person like it did with Sarevok.

Hmmm also...have you considered maybe an "evil path" where a PC through clever conversations and by gaining a very high love and trust score could possibly corrupt her and make it possible for an "unholy matrimony" or "Villainous friendship" with both being willing to get their hands really dirty? Maybe resulting in a change to Sandrah's alignment from NG to NE? I think such an optional route would be really interesting  ;)

As for stats how about at least letting those affect conversations between PC and Sandrah during special/crucial moments which affect the PC's most important choices that are tied to Sandrah? And yeah, though she seems really open minded I do not see her falling for an ugly dwarf or halfling :P

#278 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

Some new options for how one could complete quests would be cool too. :)

Edited by Samriel, 06 July 2015 - 05:55 AM.

#279 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

Dp.

Edited by Bill Bisco, 06 July 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#280 Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

After further consideration
I think for future versions I should allow an Evil PC as well, provided that some other Stats are acceptable. There are many options throughout the game to change, read tomes to improve stats, etc.
The best way would be to introduce (in addition to already existing) some checks during the game to see if PC and Sandrah are still compatible or drifting too far apart.
The real point of decision should not be at the beginning of BG1 but after the crucial Sandrah quest in the second half of ToB. At that point it will become clear if the PC is suitable for his/her role in RtF.
The downside of this would be that an NPC who went almost through the whole game with you could become your worst enemy in the end - but that would be fully in line with Sandrah's story and character (and it would probably not come as an unforeseeable surprise, you should have received enough indications/warnings before).

That sounds awesome and would be both thematic and appropriate!