Photo

BWP install crashing after Imoen's conversation/start of ToB

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

You get a compressed file in your BG2 folder after the installation finished and you used the BWS for install. It's called BiG World Debug.7z.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#22 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Well, sadly, as of now the game crashes soon after it auto-saves at the beginning (post Imoen-conversation), so there must be some major bug there :<

Attached is the file from the main catalogue. Upload debug.

From other "fun" stuff, the back-up couldn't be restored using BWS.

~~ after that I also uninstalled Widescreen mod because lower resolution was buggy and on the native to my screen I'd have to stick my face into the dialogue box to see sup. But I don't suppose that will be of any consequence here...

I've found somewhere a mention about a baldur.err file and I've checked it as well - it's empty. Logging option is turned on in baldur.ini

Also lol, I just noticed Lollarian, you edited some posts adding different things xD So, answering, I don't know which mods are outdated, they were all downloaded by the BWS. If I knew which ones cause issues, I could, possibly, live without them. But it's impossible for me to tell :<

Attached Files

Edited by Echo, 13 September 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#23 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks! :cheers: All of the IDS errors shouldn't matter when the BWPFixpack gets updated next :P

About the outdated stuff, I'd reckon dabus (or whoever's maintaining the BWS' links) would need to correct them first :D The failure to restore the backup seems problematic though :unsure:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#24 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

So let's say I'm a super impatient gal (sadly, true), would you suggest I don't install it via BWS and do it some other way or how do people make it work these days? :P BWS is so yummy... But I want to make this thing work :o

As for the backup, I just manhandled it. Don't need programs to copy a few files back and forth :P

Right now I've let BWS try the installation again, I removed some rendundant mods fighting my compulsion to HAVE IT AAAALLL (c'mon, I'll NEVER play with Korgan, don't need his redemption) and I'm hoping that something just bugged a lil and won't do it again. But my hopes aren't all that high :P

EDIT: I've managed to solve the Improved Asylum issue with a file from there, if you guys were interested: http://forums.rpgdun...hp?topic=2421.0

EDIT2: Whatever I did, be it adding that file or... I don't know really, I just picked some different mods I guess, cause I didn't remember my first selection, it seems to have installed Improved Illasera and Yaga-shura and I take that as a sign of possible improvement. I'm attaching a midway debug just in case someone came by and wanted to take a look if the errors are indeed gone.

Attached Files

Edited by Echo, 13 September 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#25 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Actually Improved Asylum was updated this morning (or yesterday night :P) to fix exactly that ^_^

Also, filtering your modlist is an EXTREMELY wise decision! :cheers:

Edited by Lollorian, 13 September 2012 - 09:00 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#26 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I've updateded ImpAsylum's link but I don't really get what else I should do in this case.
The links for cliffette are dead because G3 produces php errors when clicking download.
Volcanic Armoury is on mediafire, so you
From reading the debug, I'd say that the extraction somehow did not work as expected (because it uses these extended ascii characters that use to go boom unless you have the correct codepage), but then again, its setup would want to do a reboot if that was the case... a well, just a thought, since Mhoram also complained.

Edited by dabus, 13 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#27 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Okay, I have NO idea what's wrong with this installation this time. I'm out of ideas about mistakes I could've made. Everything seemed to have installed flawlessly, no issues with Improved Asylum (the new version), no issues with BP. Nothing.

The game starts, character creation is flawless, scene with Irenicus plays flawlessly as well - there are spell animations, Imoen comes in a rogue avatar (armorless), the dialogue ensues and goes alright, the game lets me take one step, takes away 3333 experience for some reason (don't care, let it take bloody experience away, just let me plaaaay ;<), auto-saves and then it crashes. I have a window-default cursor in addition to the BG one on the screen, but I have to close the game with task manager. It crashes when I load the auto-save, it crashes when I load a save from the clean version. It crashes relentlessly.

Same thing happens in ToB. I've had a save from the clean install there and it crashes when normally there started to be some text.

baldur.err is empty, again, just starts logging session.

I chose to install Tactical version, unchecked the red mod, unchecked all class kits and all of the 1-day NPCs. Unchecked majority of NPCs and a few NPC-related things. Changed compnents from BG2Tweaks just a little. Didn't touch any corrections, patches, tactical mods, spell mods, nothing of the sort, didn't check anything that had a note saying that a different component is preferred over it.

Is there any way in which I could find out what is going wrong? Because as it is now, I can't even get an error message to follow...

@ Dabus

I don't need Mhoram, the key mod or the Volcano armory, I removed them from the installation when it asked. I have enough other mods as it is :) So that's not my worry. I cared about IA but that seems to be in. Just this fishy instant-crash, I have no idea what could possibly be causing it.

It let me take a step and character moved before crash, so animations seem to be in place. Dialogue works, cutscene works, it's almost like there was some 1-2 seconds timer after a pause is lifted [conversation or cutscene induced] before the game crashes. Most weird for me.

>>> I highly appreciate all of your guys' help, just want you to know that :)

Attached Files

Edited by Echo, 13 September 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#28 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

You could try to create some more debugging-output by TobEX. Just have a look at it's ini and set some options in the [Debug]-Section to 1 (enabled).

#29 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Okay I managed to pause the game as it was loading and it indeed does not crash when it's paused. Maybe that's some indicator. I can do whatever I want on pause it seems, browse through screens, click on people, set spells.

I enabled every debugging option in TobEx but I do not know where could I find its log? nvm I'm dumb. Attached.

I feel like I'm one bug away from a well-modded, working game, everything seemed so non-problematic... I'm beginning to wonder if it could be something I'd need to change in Windows moreso than BG itself since both SoA and ToB seem afflicted by the same bug so it sure isn't dependent on a location...

Attached Files

Edited by Echo, 13 September 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#30 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

You may want to follow the advice from point 3.2 in the FAQ for the Megamod depending on your language. I think you're crashing because of missing animations
Spoiler

when the creatures start spawning from scripts after all the cutscenes/dialog/auto-save

Edited by Beleg33, 13 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.

Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#31 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Looking into it... Language-wise, the problem I might have is that my SoA is English while my ToB is installed from a Polish CD, because my English one is broken. I assumed that it would suffice if I find and English dialog.tlk and replace mine with that (which I did and it worked without mods) and the only thing I'd have to bear would be Polish sounds... Didn't occur to me that may be an issue. Followed the steps now, do I need to redo the entire installation again with this setting? Or should I find a pirate ToB (no idea where, I'm a good girl, never pirated my beloved game :D) because this language mix-up will come back to haunt me?

Also your signature... I loled.

EDIT: Okay, NOW this game is outright MOCKING me. Look at this! : http://desmond.image...jpg&res=landing

I'm going to sleep, bugs and bams have won this round, but I R NOT FINISH. Will reinstall tomorrow, by that time maybe someone will tell me how do I stand on the bi-language game version and if I could have missed some other important hint about installation (turned out all of the administrative pesky tools and I'm installing on drive F not C so those I remembered).

Edited by Echo, 13 September 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#32 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Try the codepage change and re-install
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#33 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

You could just do the codepage thing and restart the game (since your weidu.log lists infinityanimation as installed, those files with extended ascii in their names should have been installed and be accessable if you use ACP 1252 (?) Western Latin1 / English as your language for NON-Unicode-applications while playing the game).

Have a look at the Infinityanimation\Content-folder and try to look up the files with those pesky names (could include ¢ £ µ Æ Ø æ ø) in your game (weidu --changelog or nearinfinity).
If they were installed and do exist and the game, it's the codepage.

Edited by dabus, 13 September 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#34 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Doing that without reinstalling the hole game gave me the :).BAM actually, so that option won't work. I do have files there starting with at least two of these signs.

I have no idea what the difference is between non-unicode and unicode applications or what ACP 1252 is :o

My Winnie-the-Pooh brain has understood changing of the windows locale and I suppose it can grasp the need to reinstall. I'll try doing that since restarting the game alone didn't help.

#35 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Also, I have tried to simply uninstall Infinity Animations to see if that would work, but it didn't. Is that any indicator or does uninstalling still leaves some issues the mod made before?

Bye the way, I LOVE BWS, I just wish there was an option to save my own configuration (maybe there is and I'm blind? in such case double-facepalm). I mean without editing the text file and checking what numbers which components have and all that. Each installation I'm making is different because I keep forgetting to change this or that :<

EDIT: well, not working so far.

Infinity Animations installed without an issue now, the ending list of failed mods has been entirely reduced to only those mods that are BG1-oriented.

Buuuuut.... Throne of Bhaal seems to work. At least it doesn't crash upon letting go of the pause.

EDIT 2: I have found and ancient save game on my drive that is done in the dungeon but after getting Misc and Jaheira and weapons (as I see). THAT GAME DOESN'T CRASH.

What is going on here? Did I find some special error? :D

- Fresh-install save from SoA crashes
- Fresh-install save from ToB does not crash
- Ancient SoA save from a differently modded game does not crash
- Fresh game on this install: checking now... OH MY GODS I THINK IT WORKS :o The clean-install SoA save must be borked in some way... But I don't give a crap about that one so if either my ancient save or new one works that would be enough. I'm expecting a crash any second though so I am not celebrating yet... But I think any bug that comes later on will be easier to fix, riiiight? *-*

Damn this reminds me how I managed to find an error in Maya that even our teacher who works in the program for YEARS haven't been able to understand or know the origins of...

ToBEx log is empty. Just those logging lines.

EDIT: Well so far everything works, I've managed to die a few times, Imoen managed to escape a few times, golem has opened the door, spells are castable, I can't see any game-breaking bugs so far. There's just one thing out of place, sometimes it tells me characters cannt cast multiple instances of same contigency on themselves while they have none. But nothing happens so if that's not a sign of something bad, I don't care.

Attached Files

Edited by Echo, 14 September 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#36 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Good that I put a help text on the right side of the screen. (which seems to be ignored anyway :whistling: )

Options:
In the options-menu, there are several useful functions.

Reload selection: You can load a secured selection again and continue with the installation. You can also do that after a (broken off) installation to repair the last selection. Nevertheless, the export is the safer option.

Save selection: If want to take a break, you can secure your current selection. Close the application and reload them later.

Import selection from file: Load a selection from a selected file.

Export selection to file: Share your selection with other players. The selection is written in a chosen file, which you can e.g. give to your friends.

Import selection from WeiDU.log: Load a selection from a selected WeiDU.log.

If you load a saved selection (not just from a WeiDU.log), all components that are not found are marked as new afterwards. Since WeiDU does not log which mods or components you skipped, those skipped ones are also marked as new ones.

So you can just reload your setting or import the installed stuff from your weidu.log.

Edited by dabus, 14 September 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#37 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

You're always supposed to start a new game after the BWP :P The older saves dont have omgawesomebbqsauce mod data in them and makes BGII cry :crying:

#38 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

Aw. But I was trying to start new game each time my install failed, so that wasn't an issue :D I just never expected it to actually work if the old save didn't so when it did work, I was surprised :P

#39 -Tode-

-Tode-

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Helllo,I have this same new soa game crash problem but only when rot is installed,I would luv to know why

#40 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

A bit more info would be nice :unsure:

A WeiDU.log, baldur.err and maybe some pointers on how the crash happens - does it happen after something happens?