Comments on Dragon Age news

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#121 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

About Dragon Age...  I disagree Vicen, the thing about the love interests is that they were so much more complexe that what they appeared to be.  Anders wasn't just "emo", Isabella wasn't just "the hot one".  They had flaws, a history, and were fully fleshed out.  They were so much more than the stereotypes we are accustomed to.  And that was really, really great.

Oh by all means the romances cultivated into more then what they look like on paper.  Obviously Isabella isn't just a "hot chick", she has a story arc just as much as  "emo" Anders.  I was simply stating they covered all their bases by including all sort of romance options for the player to delve into (rather then just 1 or 2 set in stone romance options, for example as in NWN2 OC campaign...if the romances with Casavir and Elanee can even be called a romance..but I digress).  Hopefully DA3 will continue this trend and give us at least the same amount of romantic choices..if not more!

Edited by Vicen, 04 June 2013 - 04:48 AM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#122 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

I suspect that they're going to give us a Cullen romance, after all. I'm not sure I like the idea - I prefer him the way he was in DA2 - handsome, driven and unavailable.

Cassandra romance, too, probably(meh about that). But, yeah, wait and see. I do resent the fact that they're not showing us anything. At least some concept art and some dialogue samples would be nice.

#123 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

Jarno, I understand that may not have been your intent but when you quote me directly, I cannot do anything else than assume that you're addressing me directly.  I understand what you're saying, thoug, and there's merit in craving more, expecting more of video games, but that doesn't mean that we cannot appreciate what has already been accomplished.  The road is long, but we've already made substantial progress, I need only look back on the last 25 years I've been gaming to see that.

Gotcha, Vicen, on that count, you're definitely correct, they were trying to appeal to a large number of people by offering a diverse cast.  I say that's a good thing though.  :D  And I kinda count Casavir as a romance.  An atypical one, to be sure, but still there is some emotional attachment there.

On the Cullen romance option...  I have to admit, Kulyok, I'm very conflicted.  On the one hand, the fangirl in me wants a Cullen romance.  Very much so.  On the other hand, I'm afraid it'll "ruin" something, irrevocably alter the image that I myself have constructed of the character from what has been projected up til now...  Wait and see, I guess, it's their character, they can do what they will.

There has been some concept art of DA3, but so little that it could be any fantasy game's concept art...  I still get the feeling that they learned the lesson of excessive marketing with DA2.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#124 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Dragon Age III: Inquisition Trailer

In the Fall of 2014.

Interesting... ok, they can make trailers. Can they make DA: Origins 2.0?

#125 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Dragon Age III: Inquisition Trailer

In the Fall of 2014.

Interesting... ok, they can make trailers. Can they make DA: Origins 2.0?

With all the time they have spent on this one...I sure as hell hope so!  I'll take even better then DA:O as a possibility as well too :P

If its less then an 8.5 out of 10 score on this game...I am going to be severely disappointed...especially since we know now that it won't be out till Fall 2014 (And I doubt it will be in the early part of Fall as well...)

Edited by Vicen, 10 June 2013 - 07:31 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#126 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'm not thrilled with the quality of the trailer. Actual game footage - yes, but even DAO/DA2 youtube videos have better textures/look. 

So... I'm interpreting stuff as it comes, but:

- it was Morrigan, right? How dares she speak to anyone but my DAO protagonist? Betrayer! Cheater! Grrrr! And I gave her a shiny mirror and followed her into another mirror, too! I think it was a great move to give the trailer her voice.

- the man on the battlefield looked like Varric, and It looked like Varric was mourning someone... Hawke?

- a girl with short hair who was dressed like a Seeker - probably Cassandra. She looks beautiful, although I hope to God they changed her voice - it really wasn't loveable in DA2 to me. And they're attacking and sacking the city, while mages are not shown doing the same. (If it needs to be said, I'm strongly pro-mage, naturally).

- green rips in the Fade, and a dragon comes out. Looks like it's just a dragon, not an Archdemon - thank the ancestors. Does it have to do with Alistair's foolish behavior in the comics, dragon blood and all? Then I'm happy I executed him.

- there's a horned Qunari warrior looking at the sea, then at the map. I left Sten in his cage to die, so I wonder who that is.

- Yay, no Leliana in the trailer! Heheheh, because everyone loves Morrigan.

#127 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for posting, guys, E3 started too late in my time zone for me to keep up.  There's little to go on, at this point, and it's still a long way ahead (fall 2014?  aww :( ).  But I'm glad they're taking their time.  Maybe this time they won't focus exclusively on story and romances but design more than one dungeon, eh? ;)

And no, sorry Kulyok, not everyone loves Morrigan.  (wish she could just go die in a fire, I hate her guts :D )

Edited by Eleima, 10 June 2013 - 10:10 PM.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#128 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Heheheh. Well, David Gaider said there will be heartache and betrayal, so maybe she'll tragically die? (I wrote "everybody loves Morrigan" in the vein of Diablo 3's "Everybody loves Shen" joke, so I wasn't serious).

The thing is, Chris Priestly said they will reveal more news later, but they won't reveal all the stuff right away. And there's an entire extra year to wait! Oh gods. A YEAR! It's practically forever!

#129 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

See, that sheds no light on your earlier statement, because I have no idea who Shen is, having never played Diablo 3.  :D  I know you were joking, though, there are no absolutes.  But yeah, here's hoping, maybe I'll even get to kill her myself.  :devil:

But yeah, no wonder they're tight lipped, there's still a long wait ahead of us.

Thank goodness there's the pile to keep me busy til then. :whistling:

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#130 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

Undoubtedly Varric, undoubtedly Cassandra. 2014? Lots to play till then! Witcher 3, anyone?

-Y-

#131 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm not thrilled with the quality of the trailer. Actual game footage - yes, but even DAO/DA2 youtube videos have better textures/look. 

So... I'm interpreting stuff as it comes, but:

- it was Morrigan, right? How dares she speak to anyone but my DAO protagonist? Betrayer! Cheater! Grrrr! And I gave her a shiny mirror and followed her into another mirror, too! I think it was a great move to give the trailer her voice.

- the man on the battlefield looked like Varric, and It looked like Varric was mourning someone... Hawke?

- a girl with short hair who was dressed like a Seeker - probably Cassandra. She looks beautiful, although I hope to God they changed her voice - it really wasn't loveable in DA2 to me. And they're attacking and sacking the city, while mages are not shown doing the same. (If it needs to be said, I'm strongly pro-mage, naturally).

- green rips in the Fade, and a dragon comes out. Looks like it's just a dragon, not an Archdemon - thank the ancestors. Does it have to do with Alistair's foolish behavior in the comics, dragon blood and all? Then I'm happy I executed him.

- there's a horned Qunari warrior looking at the sea, then at the map. I left Sten in his cage to die, so I wonder who that is.

- Yay, no Leliana in the trailer! Heheheh, because everyone loves Morrigan.

While I still have all of my saves archived from the previous games, I've got to throw this question out there: will BioWare let us utilize our old save games to determine certain variables in DA3? Or will we just fill in a questionnaire? (Please no interactive comic book method.)

Undoubtedly Varric, undoubtedly Cassandra. 2014? Lots to play till then! Witcher 3, anyone?

-Y-

How about Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity? Both are slated to be released before DA3.

#132 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

They've been talking about doing better for imports(avoiding bugs, that is) and developing a new method of tracking variables, which, I suspect, comes back to reading saved games. I wouldn't mind an alternate questionnaire, because I understand they are still unable to load romance flags from DAA properly.

#133 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Agreed, a questionnaire of sorts would probably avoid bugs and ensure that the info in there is as the player intended.  Never tried the comic book method, so can't say how that feels.

But yeah, Yovaneth, you're totally right, plenty to play until then (still haven't played The Witcher 2 :ph34r: ).

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#134 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5152 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

Never tried the comic book method, so can't say how that feels.
Well, time to go at it...massive ME1 spoilers!!! Hihihihi. It's not perfect... but it's a good way to go at it.
Now, I wouldn't mind a questionnaire either, as long as it's coded well and you actually see the results in your answers. ... and that they actually change things. The comic is extra work and it as a DLC is not a bad choice...

As for the backlog ... we all have them, but one game here or there is nothing in the pile.
As for the time, in my opinion it's a good thing they don't rush this... and they might be able to avoid the ME3 ending fiasco they had this way.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#135 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

Well, I didn't need the comic book method, because I'd played ME1.

As for the backlog, I think you underestimate my ratio of games-to-play to free-time.  Sure, when you get older, you have more money to buy games (and even then, that's not always true when you have a family to support and mortgage to pay), but less free time (full-time job, husband and toddler).

But yeah, it's great that they aren't rushing.  I'm convinced they rushed DA2 and look what happened.  :(  The ME3 ending was a bit more complex than rushing the game out the door, I believe, they had a whole different ending written by Drew Karpyshyn, the original writer of the first two games, and it made a lot more sense.  He left mid-project and they scrambled to scrap some ending together.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#136 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5152 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

Well, I didn't need the comic book method, because I'd played ME1.

The 12-64 times it need to make the goodParagon and badRenegade choices & the mixes for both genders... now that's a lot of play time, perhaps a little waste-d too.
Hmm, yeah there might have been another ending the Drew could have came up with... but the final ending was clearly more satisfying.

Have you been thinking the clear difference of the PS4 and XBOX one's approach ? Cause it probably will make an impact to the games production.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#137 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Heh...what someone thinks is bad...another can think of as good!  Personally, the only two from that list the irk me would be the health regen issue and the no backgrounds.  All the rest seems fine (or at least I am OK with) to me.  But then again I am a male... so a female mage is better then a male one for me at least (provided she's not some old windbag like Wyne or whatever) :P

#138 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

- a female mage named Vivienne joins you(where are hot male mages for us girls?!)

Someone's been reading 'Morte d'Artur' by Sir Thomas Mallory. 'Vivienne' is a p!ss-poor translation of 'Nemue' but then what can you expect of a poor sixteenth-century knight trying to curry favour with his queen?

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 07 August 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#139 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Are races really back? Has Gaider gotten over his insane dwarf racism?

Edited by Almateria, 20 August 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#140 Apocrypha

Apocrypha
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

I think they are, yes. Mike had quite a funny comment about us dwarf players--something about how we'd go to war for our dwarves (hey, my dwarven princess is totally worth going to war for).

I like the new look of the elves, too. Their models don't look as ugly as the DA2 ones, nor as human as the DAO ones. Very...elvish.