Photo

BiG World Project: Mac/Linux versions?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GammaLeak

GammaLeak
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

First of all, I'm just plain awed at the amount of work that went into BWP, so thank you very much to Leonardo and everyone else who helped out.

I just tried to work with it a bit on my Mac.

Here's my situation:
  • I've got BG1 and BG2 installed inside a Wineskin app (Wineskin is a Wine bottler for Mac).
  • Next, I open up a command line shell within the Wineskin app
  • I try to run the BiG World Project batch files and...
  • They fail...
I think the problem might be with Wine, actually. I'm not sure it properly parses batch file language. In particular, it doesn't seem to resolve empty parameters such as %1 if no value was actually passed to %1. Instead, it will resolve an empty %1 as the string "%1". Lame.

So here's my question: are there Mac/Linux shell scripts of the BiG World Project batch files? If not, I might spend some time next weekend trying to replicate them...
Posted Image

#2 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Use the search. There's a batch to bash / shell converter.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#3 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

As a part of my BiG World Setup-Reloaded, I'm planning to bring the BWP to Mac and Linux. It's not ready yet, but I will make it ready soon.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#4 GammaLeak

GammaLeak
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

As a part of my BiG World Setup-Reloaded, I'm planning to bring the BWP to Mac and Linux. It's not ready yet, but I will make it ready soon.

Great! Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help testing it!
Posted Image

#5 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

You can be a tester. If you have Java coding experience, you can help me with coding this thing. I have a Git repo for it:

https://github.com/W...d-Setup-revival

Nothing's really there, just a blank slate for implementation. I will update the repo with my ideas for implemetation, and a todo list for implemeting stuff. I'm happy to give you access to the repo if you are good at Java programming, as that's what the program will be written in.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#6 GammaLeak

GammaLeak
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I can do Java. It's not my forte (haven't used it since college), but I'm proficient in C++, C#, and a bunch of other stuff. Send me a PM if you want to get my email and talk about it some more.
Posted Image

#7 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Sure. I will PM you about this later. If you want, you can be a beta tester for the Mac with Wine emulated Baldur's Gate.

#8 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Use the search. There's a batch to bash / shell converter.

Will not work for BiG World Project batch files.
Neither bash to shell converter does work for every batch files inside mods.
Sometimes mod's author is too creative about batch file content.

#9 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

I'm especially interested in how do you plan to handle batch files since i installed 177 modules in linux from which 42 requires manual patches even with
automatic batch to shell convertion and related tp2 changes.
I'm also interested in how do you plan to implenent dependency resolution. I ended up writing dsl for that http://www.shsforums...post__p__535402

#10 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Take a look on this: http://www.shsforums...cs/page__st__20
Steve made a great converter tool for Mac OS X which worked pretty well with BWP v9.4. It converted Installpack, Fixpack and Textpack and also unpacked the choosen mods. Unfortunately it is no longer supported and thus not compatible with the current BWP v11. I suppose it needs only small changes to fit with the current BWP version.

#11 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Steve made a great converter tool for Mac OS X which worked pretty well with BWP v9.4. It converted Installpack, Fixpack and Textpack and also unpacked the choosen mods. Unfortunately it is no longer supported and thus not compatible with the current BWP v11. I suppose it needs only small changes to fit with the current BWP version.

Looking at code it will probaply fail for mods which create batch file on the fly (except inline), and for some mods (not all) which already linux or mac aware but not both.
Will borrow some nice regexpes like variable convertion, 'for' loop convertion, some rare dos command variants for my stateless converter.

#12 neird

neird
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Does not work for BWP v11. How these commands with unbalanced quotes from BiG World Install.bat should be parsed?

cat BiG\ World\ Install.bat | grep -E '"' | grep -vE '^([^"]*"[^"]*")+([^"]*)$'

SET CD5=%IF% %BGM%MovieCD5.bif"
SET CD6=%IF% %BGM%MovieCD6.bif"
SET NCD5=%IFN% %BGM%MovieCD5.bif"
SET NCD6=%IFN% %BGM%MovieCD6.bif"
%GOG% %IFF% %IF% %BG1%SETUP-CORRECFR.DEBUG" GOTO :BG1CHCK2
%GOG% %IFG% %IF% %BG1%SETUP-BG1TP.DEBUG" GOTO :BG1CHCK2
%GOG% %IFH% %IF% %BG1%SETUP-ABRA.DEBUG" GOTO :BG1CHCK2
%NGOG% %IF% %BG1%readme_patch.txt" GOTO :BG1CHCK2
%GOG% %IFN% %BG1%readme_patch.txt" GOTO :BG1CHCK2
%NGOG% %IFN% %BG1%readme_patch.txt" %TXT%@12
%IFF% %IFN% %BG1%SETUP-CORRECFR.DEBUG" %TXT%@13