Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#161 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've always dreamt of visiting Waterdeep, for instance :)

Forget about Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep indeed! I'd love something in Sembia too. Or Calimshan. Or anything in the Shining South -- have those places ever been represented?

#162 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Forget about Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep indeed! I'd love something in Sembia too. Or Calimshan. Or anything in the Shining South -- have those places ever been represented?

I don't think so. That's a brilliant idea...

#163 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

I don't know why Forgotten Realms always equals Sword Coast. Give me Halarahh, dammit! Flying ships and all!

#164 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'd love another visit to Rasheman, myself.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#165 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Mm, I need to get my hands on that game at some point. I love Thay and Rashemen. And Aglarond. And the Old Kingdoms would be pretty cool too.

#166 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Heck, I think a case could be made for an RPG or even a strategy game about the colonization of Maztica.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#167 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Heh, I guess that's the closest we get to the Baldur's Gate tag being relevant, what with the colonizer being Amn. Baldur's Gate III: The Council of Six sends you far, far away.

#168 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

BG3: Contrary to the previous endings, the Council of Six and Cowled Wizards got tired of Keldorn, Anomen, Valygar, Nalia, Cernd, and Mazzy (the native Amnish characters) making waves, and booted them all across the sea.

#169 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Heck, I think a case could be made for an RPG or even a strategy game about the colonization of Maztica.

It would feel kind of pointless, since MexicoMaztica gets booted to Abeir after 17 years anyway.

#170 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

The entire Bhaalspawn saga is pointless if you accept that 4E happened. Feel free to ignore its existence. I do.

#171 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

The entire Bhaalspawn saga is pointless if you accept that 4E happened. Feel free to ignore its existence. I do.

What do you mean by pointless? :blink:

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#172 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Everything you do gets wiped out by the "insert new setting in place of old, but share some of the names" button.

But I'm digressing. They said BG+ would be in 2E.

Edited by Tempest, 24 March 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#173 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

But they didn't say that about BG3, I can still keep my hopes up :)

#174 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I don't think so. That's a brilliant idea...

Waterdeep is in NWN HotU.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#175 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'd love something in Sembia too.

Baldur's Gate III (aka "The Black Hound") took place in the Dalelands and Sembia. Since the game was allegedly about 80% done before cancellation, maybe it is this they will be porting for BG3. However, it used a derivative of the NWN Aurora engine, and thus would not be easy to backport to a derivative of the Infinity Engine. Then again, the main difference is just the interface; maybe they've got some homegrown converters that would make it fairly easy. If you read the "future" section of that article, it seems Atari did acquire the license, and perhaps the developed content as well.

Edit: It shares no apparent continuity with the other BG games though, so I don't know why they're even bothering to call it BG3 except to capitalise on the success of the series.

Edited by Miloch, 24 March 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#176 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Your link leads to the Norse god, by the way. I assume that wasn't intentional? :D

Very interesting. Makes me a little bit skeptical of them needing to re-release the first two again for economic reasons if they don't actually have to build the third from scratch, but I'll happily take the Dales and Sembia. Well, Sembia, at least.

#177 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Try the link now. New forum software apparently thinks it's funny to strip out apostrophes etc. in links.

I'm guessing they're re-releasing the first two games for practice in updating the IE engine, preferably without having to use the likes of the NWN/DA engine, which is fine for first-person shooter games but not roleplaying games. Oh and probably for cash too, though DRM is a phenomenally bad idea. It would take a lot to entice me to buy DRMware when I already own the non-DRM game - one which modern mods and conversions can update for free, perhaps even in better and unforeseen ways than the development team will do. The quote from Jeff Vogel in the Beamdog post above is relevant:

Whenever you find yourself starting a sentence with, "I don't want people to pirate my game, so I am going to ..." you are very close to making a big mistake.

Usually folks rerelease games to *remove* the copy-protection, because it's such a hassle. I have to scratch my head at a move to make it worse than it was originally (just having to have the original disk or a mounted image of it).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#178 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

What do you mean by pointless? :blink:

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#179 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Try the link now. New forum software apparently thinks it's funny to strip out apostrophes etc. in links.

I'm guessing they're re-releasing the first two games for practice in updating the IE engine, preferably without having to use the likes of the NWN/DA engine, which is fine for first-person shooter games but not roleplaying games. Oh and probably for cash too, though DRM is a phenomenally bad idea. It would take a lot to entice me to buy DRMware when I already own the non-DRM game - one which modern mods and conversions can update for free, perhaps even in better and unforeseen ways than the development team will do. The quote from Jeff Vogel in the Beamdog post above is relevant:

Whenever you find yourself starting a sentence with, "I don't want people to pirate my game, so I am going to ..." you are very close to making a big mistake.

Usually folks rerelease games to *remove* the copy-protection, because it's such a hassle. I have to scratch my head at a move to make it worse than it was originally (just having to have the original disk or a mounted image of it).

Yup, working now. Oh damn, I kind of hope they do this. Everything I like. <3

Yeah, I'm not touching anything with DRM. Well, I don't care for the concept of repurchasing something I already have in any case, but I thought these companies realized how bad DRM was a while ago. =/

#180 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm guessing they're re-releasing the first two games for practice in updating the IE engine, preferably without having to use the likes of the NWN/DA engine, which is fine for first-person shooter games but not roleplaying games. Oh and probably for cash too, though DRM is a phenomenally bad idea. It would take a lot to entice me to buy DRMware when I already own the non-DRM game - one which modern mods and conversions can update for free, perhaps even in better and unforeseen ways than the development team will do.

Yes, the proposed DRM enhancement :shifty: has dwindled my enthusiasm for the new editions.

Edited by KIrving, 24 March 2012 - 01:46 PM.

"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard