Photo

Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#141 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

They're bringing Baldur's Gate to a new generation of players. This can only be a good thing for the modding community.

My 1st experience with DRM is playing Skyrim and having to install/validate it through STEAM. I feel this as a restriction, but what can i do? Money is generated and they have to protect it, i understand that. With my limitied understanding i wonder how will DRM affect the community? I read http://www.shamusyou...dedtale/?p=1680 and i am worried for the modding community...

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#142 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Well, they did the best they could after the original Baldur's Gate artist Daniel Walker passed away in 1999. It wasn't easy for BioWare to replace him.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Daniel Walker was great, yes, but BioWare didn't really do the best they could after his departure. There was no reason to create all new animations and paperdolls for BG2 when they already had perfectly good ones that could have been made to dual-wield with some modifications. It's stuff mods could do, so I don't see any reason why BioWare couldn't. The guys at Black Isle stuffed the new paperdolls and animations in TotLM and they didn't even need dual-wielding compliance! Imho, there really is no justification for a 2012 release to use mirrored, low-resolution sprites and fat or dumb-looking paperdolls. They can be easily replaced with Daniel Walker's work, which is much superior.

#143 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

:Tasty: BALDUR'S GATE THREE CONFIRMED IF BGEE AND BG2EE SELL WELL :Tasty:

"Trent Oster of Beamdog has confirmed via Twitter that if BGEE and BG2EE sell well, Beamdog is ready, willing, and almost certainly able to make BG3."

GET EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO BUY THIS. I AM BUYING THIS. I SERVE DAH FLAMAN FIST. YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH. YOU HAVE BEEN WAYLAID BY ENEMIES AND MUST DEFEND YOURSELF. FOR THE GLORY OF AMN!

SO EVERYONE WHO IS WHINING ABOUT "OH NOES THE IPAD A BLOO HOO MY PRECIOUS GAME" SHOULD PROBABLY STFU AND BE HAPPY BECAUSE WE HAVE GAME SIGN.

Yes, they are doing this for the money. Obviously they are. They have realized there's a market. Atari has realized that there MIGHT be a market, but they don't want to shell out cash or sign off on anything being made with the licence they own if it's NOT GOING TO MAKE THEM MONEY. BECAUSE THEY'RE A COMPANY. THAT TRIES TO MAKE LOTS OF MONEY. BECAUSE CAPITALISM.

Also, who gives a crap about it being confirmed for iOS, seriously. That's a ton more people who can play the game, who are going to be buying the game, and MORE PEOPLE BUYING THE GAME = BALDUR'S GATE 3. I really, really don't give a flying Boo butt about "OHNOES MY GAME PURITY :crying:" if it means that we get the game we have been waiting a decade for.

Edited by Isilven, 23 March 2012 - 07:47 AM.

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#144 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

BG3 doesn't excite me. The series ended pretty well where and when it did.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#145 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Could a BG3 be a BG1.5? That is, take place between saying "Cheerio!" to Duke Beltan and waking up in the dungeons?

Oh. I just realised that would totally skew the partylevels in BG2...

#146 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Exactly. No more Bhaalspawn, but there's so much stuff that can be done with that license and setting it in Forgotten Realms. Shoot, even if they DO want to include the old characters, why not change it up? CHARNAME goes to Sigil! CHARNAME travels the planes in a Spelljammer ship!

Who would NOT want to play a game that involves a Bhaalspawn (and Minsc and Boo obviously because you can't have a BG game without them) rocketing through space-time in an intergalactic wooden schooner?

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#147 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

Who would NOT want to play a game that involves a Bhaalspawn (and Minsc and Boo obviously because you can't have a BG game without them) rocketing through space-time in an intergalactic wooden schooner?

I'd have to get back to you on that :D

#148 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I'd be happy for a new game set in the Forgotten Realms, but not with the Baldur's Gate tag. Though I'd be far happier still if a 3.5E Eberron game was made.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#149 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

I don't understand the point of a BGIII. Are you going to be godly overpowered to the point where everything becomes completely ridiculous? Are you playing as a god? Is it a new protagonist entirely (in which case, why keep the same name)? Having it set as a prequel could be really interesting, but otherwise... I really don't see it.

I don't think I've ever kept Minsc in my party. :D

#150 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Regardless of what happens I am buying all 2 (or 3) games when they come out. I have faith that they will be quite good or (gasp) even better then the originals...And if they are not..? So what? It's not like buying 3 games is going to break anyone's bank...And if it would then perhaps he or she should get a cheaper hobby if that's the case...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#151 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'm with Tempest, here. I'd love for a new game in the Forgotten Realms setting, but not a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#152 Daxs

Daxs
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

BG3 a depowering Deus Ex Machina event?

You don't remember what happened. All of your memories beyond defeating Melisan have been fuzzy at best with permanent irrecoverability. Find old friends and new allies and quest for... something?

One could easily do an XP reset for a sequel. What? I can't transfer! Oh no!

I'm hoping for more races. I can be half-orc, why not full orc?

#153 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

if it means that we get the game we have been waiting a decade for.

I honestly don't understand what to wait here for? Some stupid polygonal graphics 3d game with lame console-friendly interface and that stinking 3rd or 4th or whatever it's now DnD rules edition slapped on top of it? Meh, couldn't care less even if they came for me begging to play that for free <_<

Edited by Creepin, 23 March 2012 - 01:10 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#154 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

BG3 as the end goal has been known for a while.

I hope it's worth playing, maybe even worth purchasing. I just have no reason to think they're going to be the ones to finally restore faith in cRPGs considering what established, formerly-good devs have been shitting out the last 4+ years.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#155 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

I feel like BG3 should be a separate campaign - I mean, the Bhaalspawn saga was wrapped up neat and tidily - but that doesn't mean the new campaign can't reference it. Maybe having a Time Skip to the 3rd edition time - or, hell, even to after the Spellplague era if they really want to.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#156 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm with Tempest and ChooChoo on this one. The Bhaalspawn saga is over and done with, let th BG games end where they did. I'm all for a new game in the FR setting, though. Just don't call it BG3, start fresh.

Edited by Eleima, 23 March 2012 - 11:17 PM.
Premature posting

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#157 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

CHARNAME travels the planes in a Spelljammer ship!

A Freelancer-style Spelljammer game would be the best. So of course it'll never be :(

EA/Oster: Hey, don't mind us! We just wanna leech hard working modders so you can play an old game on your iHipsterDouchebag toy.

Oh god
Anyway, I hope the eventual BG3 will be available on iPad too.

@JonIrenicus3 The UI for #bgee will change for all platforms. We have a lot of resolutions/ aspect ratios to support.

#158 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

I'll side with those of you who think the Bhaalspawn saga has been concluded neatly and with no voids left to fill. There is no need to add further post-ToB chapters to it. A prequel, if done with all due care to avoid inconsistencies with the original games, could be interesting so long as it was based on the IE with 2e AD&D rules. There is, imho, no other way to tie a game to the BG saga seamlessly. If it's not a prequel and - God forbid - hopefully not a reboot, then it should bear a different name for a different storyline with new characters. I wouldn't mind another IE AD&D game with new characters; I've always dreamt of visiting Waterdeep, for instance :)

#159 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

I am being the devil's advocate here by saying this, but there is - i think - a way for BG3, post TOB. In FR there are several examples of deposed gods, Bhaal being one of them. Cyrus the mad another. Mystra sacrificed herself and was later reborn. I am just saying there are possibilities. Having said that, any game in BG style would be equally welcome for me.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#160 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Unless you don't take the divinity ending. In which case, according to Elminster himself in ToB, there are very, very few people in the world inclined to tangle with you.