Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#341 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

I was never a fan of upscaling as opposed to re-rendering. Obviously a re-render would look significantly better. Then again, if upscaling is the best we can get, so be it: it'll still look better than 640x480 (besides, I'm unfamiliar with OpenGL upscaling algorithms, so they might as well be awesome) :)

#342 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

I want to know why this is (1) news and (2) good news.

If all you're doing is porting an app to a platform it was never designed for at resolutions it was never intended for, wouldn't making it comparably viewable be an absolute minimum expectation? It's not an improvement at all, it's just a translation. Christonhisthrone, reading some of the reactions would make one think he was sending along life-size love dolls for romance simulation purposes.

It's not like they triumphed in their first attempt at raping a game's legacy for profit reviving a beloved franchise, garnering such praise as:

"Overall, it feels like a nice paint job on a car that hasn't been maintained,"

"I don't want to describe it as sloppy, but there is a certain unevenness to MDK2's revivification," and

"I did find performance to be a bit spotty in areas as well, which is odd considering the review system is above and beyond the required specs."

Edited by phordicus, 12 April 2012 - 01:50 AM.

Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#343 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

A higher resolution than 640x480 will inevitably look better, especially if re-rendered (as is the case with BG:EE's UI, which is being rewritten from scratch). Upscaling the rest of the graphics is both necessary and welcome. I doubt it would look worse than the original, but it has to be kept in mind that it's an older game so it can't look too polished (especially without the source art assets to work with in the first place). The same applies to MDK2 - being an older game, there was only so much they could do, I guess.

#344 Stabwound

Stabwound
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

If "upscaling" could make things look better, why hasn't it been done by a modder already? If they only have access to the final versions everyone else has, what's stopping Bill the Amateur Modder from doing the same batch thing they're talking about?

Of course, I'll bet that it's really just an excuse and they don't want to put the time/money into redrawing everything. Just do the minimum amount of work possible and sell existing mods. :shifty:

#345 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

If "upscaling" could make things look better, why hasn't it been done by a modder already?

Because it takes porting all the graphics to OpenGL (which in turn requires working with the source code).

#346 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Of course, I'll bet that it's really just an excuse and they don't want to put the time/money into redrawing everything. Just do the minimum amount of work possible and sell existing mods. :shifty:

I think it's a fine solution. While I'm not an expert in OpenGL, I'd imagine it's analogous to converting a bitmap to vector, upscaling it, and converting it back to bitmap.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#347 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Upscaling doesn't automatically equal good-looking. The scaling algorithm has a lot to do with, and even then, if this you were concerned about reputation, you'd still have people go in and make final adjustments and corrections by hand. The algo has to take, say, 10 pieces of hue/saturation/brightness information and then extropolate that into 1000 pieces based on context. It's not like blowing up a photo in PS and running a few filters on it.

I think the GUI changes may be the first genuine improvement.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#348 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Upscaling can be done via enlarging low-res images and then editing sprites manually. But in case of infinity engine sprites which have 64+ frames of animation per character it would be extremely expensive and I highly doubt that developers will choose this way.

Or they can use 3d models which were initially used to render animations for characters. It can be automated and done almost for free, provided they still have those 3d models and they are not going to modify them, which would cost additional money.

I actually don't give a damn about graphics of BGEE, since I like it the way it is, I just would love to see the whole community migrating to new engine: more portable, stable and with additional features. And more fancy engine means more newcomers will come to play/donate/mod.

Edited by Suslik, 12 April 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#349 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

A higher resolution than 640x480 will inevitably look better, especially if unless all graphics are re-rendered

Bold text added :).

Upscaling graphics pretty much never works, at least not over a fairly negligible factor of perhaps 25% or so (if that). The graphics look fuzzy and pixelated at anything beyond that, even using fairly sophisticated algorithms. I've tested different resolutions and I think the game might actually look best at 640x480 (or perhaps 800x600) - at least you can see the characters at that resolution. Higher resolutions allow you to see more terrain for what that's worth (and it isn't worth much since you can't target anyone beyond 30' or so) but at the cost of reducing graphic size.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#350 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Beamdog interested in Icewind Dale, pending Baldur's Gate success @ Joystik
Beamdog Wants to Resurrect Icewind Dale @ Gameranx

I still can't really shake the feeling that TobEx has upstaged BGEE, and IWD-in-BG2 does the same for IWD... Too little, too late?

#351 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

I've tested different resolutions and I think the game might actually look best at 640x480 (or perhaps 800x600) - at least you can see the characters at that resolution. Higher resolutions allow you to see more terrain for what that's worth (and it isn't worth much since you can't target anyone beyond 30' or so) but at the cost of reducing graphic size.

They have a zoom in/zoom out feature implemented in BG:EE :)

#352 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Beamdog interested in Icewind Dale, pending Baldur's Gate success @ Joystik
Beamdog Wants to Resurrect Icewind Dale @ Gameranx

I still can't really shake the feeling that TobEx has upstaged BGEE, and IWD-in-BG2 does the same for IWD... Too little, too late?

As someone who's not into the technicalities of modding (so basically your average Baldur's Gate fan) ... I really don't understand what TobEx has done which actually matters to the average gamer in terms of upgrading the game into something more modern.

Regardless, I'd expect the "mod support" Trent Oster's been talking about on Twitter to be something which enables a modded install from fresh to be done in a reasonable time, instead of the hours of effort it takes right now. That'd be worth the money in and itself, for me.

Edited by Miraz, 13 April 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#353 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Asc64 is currently in the BG:EE subreddit suggesting fixes to the developers, for those wondering ;)

#354 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Asc64 is currently in the BG:EE subreddit suggesting fixes to the developers, for those wondering ;)

So am I. In fact, I've been there for longer than A64...
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#355 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

So am I.

I know, dear friend. In fact, I've given a vote up to most of your proposals so far :)

#356 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

As I see it, TobEx is just a backend. So I agree that for the player who knows nothing but to double click the executable, TobEx is an esoteric obfuscation.

What I see would sell for BG:EE are:
1) new content (always the big drawcard!)
2) ease-of-use with improved UI
2) modernisation to work on more platforms (GemRB already partially achieves this)
3) bug-fixing (TobEx partially achieve this, but only on Windows, Linux, and somewhat Mac-Wine systems)

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#357 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

What I see would sell for BG:EE are:
1) new content (always the big drawcard!)

Personally, I am more interested in things that can only be done via working with the source code than in new content. Of course it would make no sense on Beamdong's part to re-release the game without any new content, so that was kinda mandatory, but it's still something that mods can (and do) already add to the game. I'm a lot more interested in the overcoming of current engine limitations (like 22.5Khz sound; low resultion graphics; absence of a zoom-in feature for higher resolutions achieved through the widescreen mod; lots of hard-coded stuff that can't be easily modded; bugs, slowdowns and crappy multiplayer support, not being able to equip sword-and-shield, bow and dual-weapons simultaneously and swap among them quickly without having to resort to inventory management in the middle of the battle; etc.).

#358 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

I wonder if deathmatch mode will make it back.

#359 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

That reminds me. I'd love to see D&D 3.0-style double weapons in BGEE. I think they existed under AD&D rules...

#360 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

ME: Hi Cam! Is there going to be any less hard-coded stuff in BG:EE? Less hard-coded stuff = more flexibility for modders

Cameron Tofer: I just did a ton of un-hard coding stuff in the interface. there's going to be lots of new stuff modders can do