Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#921 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

While she goes in to do her thing, Yeslick and Jaheira strike up a conversation.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes... though I remember very little of them. I was very young... and the family I know have always been the druids of Tethyr, for as long as I can remember.

Posted Image But ye never feel grief 'bout that, nor even regret? Things could'a been very diff'rent...

Posted Image I do... wonder sometimes, in my more thoughtful moments. But I pay it no heed. I could not have changed it, and I still cannot, no matter how hard I could try. What has happened has happened, and I must make the best of things, regardless. If... this is a destiny, then I also accept that I am on the right path. Some things happen for a reason, after all.

Posted Image Have you never thought that the same may be true for you, Yeslick?

Posted Image I... huh. Me clan's end was... sudden, an' without meaning'. If this be destiny, then destiny don't seem ta care much fer the bystanders.

Posted Image That is a lesson I fear we'll all learn in times to come. Until then, master dwarf, the world moves on... enjoy what's left.

Meanwhile, inside, Imoen runs into her first obstacle.

Posted Image

Mostly an obstacle in physical girth. She just downs a potion of Invisibility and attacks the first bookshelf. There is only a book.

Posted Image

She finds a couple scrolls in a second bookshelf. But an insanely observant servant sees her!

Posted Image

She leaves the room only to see Flaming Fist enforcers coming from the second floor. Tricksy!

Posted Image

Invisibility potions are the order of the day. She slips past the enforcers and goes to the second floor. She finds Oberon in his room.

Posted Image

Quickly she loots all the bookshelves on this floor, finding more magic scrolls and books. She doesn't examine what she finds.

Posted Image

On the third floor she finds Oberon's daughters. Alatos mentioned them as possible holders of the skyship parts.

Posted Image

There is a servant standing next to a small desk. Patiently, Imoen waits for him to leave, and then opens the drawer. Looks promising!

Posted Image

She takes a closer look...

Posted Image

Boom!

Posted Image

Shaka!

Posted Image

Laka!

Imoen has everything. But she isn't anything if not thorough. There are still shelves to loot. She is running low on invisibility potions, so she casts Invisibility on herself this time, takes all the books off the shelves, and then tries her hand at pickpocketing the Oberon's daughters.

Posted Image

Posted Image [Intelligence] - I resent those baseless accusations. I was nowhere near you when the event occurred and I can summon several witnesses who will gladly confirm that.

Posted Image Hmm... I will let you off with a warning, this time.

Posted Image However, know that you will be watched much more carefully from now on!

Imoen nods her head and ducks back behind the wall to down more potions. Then she tries just talking to one of the sisters.

Posted Image

Posted Image This is me leaving! I'll not return to bother you!

Posted Image You are no servant! You're spies or worse. If you thought to take me by surprise you're sorely mistaken.

Uh oh! Time to go!

Posted Image

She tries to pickpocket Oberon also on the way out, but he doesn't fall for it. She shouts something intelligent over her shoulder as she runs off.

By the time she gets out, it's raining. She screamgiggles "RUN!" and we all take off through the downpour.

Posted Image

We don't stop until we are standing outside the Hall of Wonders. Once again Imoen tells us to wait for her and don't look conspicuous. She goes in and casts Invisibility.

Posted Image

She is able to steal the telescope easily.

Posted Image

She turns to leave, but as she's leaving she hears a whispered greeting.

Posted Image

Posted Image Holy Kitty Cacophony, you scared the bejeebbers outta me! Sure it's yer job to catch us thieves, but ye need not give me a heart attack too! Hey... you're not the guard! Yeesh! Getting me all in a tizzy when you're here for the same thing as me. Well, since you're here, howz about we work together? Just for this one heist, I mean. You keep watch while I show the stash. I know a secret here and there, but we get equal shares, OK?

Posted Image A good plan. Do what you must and I'll keep watch.

Posted Image Double good and done! Oh, it'll be great fun having someone around to talk to! I don't meet many nice people in this trade. Just because we steal doesn't mean we have to be bad. Mostly I'm just curious what people have. Here, I'll point out a few things and then we can get to sneakin'. He he, such fun!

Imoen loots the rest of the display cases, then speaks with the perky halfling once again.

Posted Image

Posted Image A splendid idea! Welcome aboard.

Posted Image Friends we are, and nice ones too! One for all and things like that! Fun for all of us, I just *know* it!

Back outside, I'm just finishing up a conversation with Edwin.

Posted Image

Posted Image We should separate for now. I'll look you up next time I'm in the Gate - meet me in the Elfsong Tavern.

Posted Image Very well, I accept under the terms of our agreement. (Best to humour them, they're not bright enough to understand the arguments against the idea.)

Hey, we just have to make room for Imoen's new buddy.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: That's a lot of xp! And she's a pure thief for now. We'll have to change her later. Or not? No matter what, though, she'll always carry her lucky rabbit's foot!

Posted Image

Imoen excitedly shows me the telescope she got, and I examine it in detail. Nice!

Posted Image

Since the new girl is so new, we just give her some decent armor and a sling to throw stones with. Yeslick never uses his anyway.

Posted Image

Then we move on to our third stop of the night - Ragefast's house! Since this is more of a rescue than a thiefly pursuit, I suggest we all go in.

Edited by Usurper, 25 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#922 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Imoen reluctantly agrees. She unlocks the front door, and we enter.

Posted Image

What we find is... disturbing.

Posted Image

Posted Image Destiny or no, I am not long for this place.

Posted Image What!? What bandit dares enter the home of Ragefast?! Identify your purpose here, that I might know what to put on they tombstone.

Posted Image Dare you speak of me as bandit, when you commit such crimes as you do?!

Posted Image What nonsense is this?! Explain yourself before I dispense with you!

Posted Image You hold this beauteous creature captive, and still claim the moral high ground? It's a contradiction!

Posted Image No! This wondrous being is my love and life! I would be hers as well, but it takes time! She will grow to care for me, as I her!

Posted Image I came here expecting to find one of those vile mages who would dissect this beautiful creature looking for spell components. Instead, we find a foolish man with his mind clouded by passion and desire. And while he deserves to be admonished for keeping this nymph here against her will, I suppose it can be understood... we would do well to resolve this without bloodshed, Syvishtar.

Posted Image One does not cage those he cares for! You may break her spirit and she will serve you, but this is not love! Listen to her!

Posted Image She will learn to be happy here! We shall grow old together.

Posted Image Look unto me, Ragefast. My beauty fades even now.

Posted Image Abela, thy beauty is as brilliant now as the day I found you. Say not such things.

Posted Image 'Tis flattering, but you are blinded by your passion. Truly see what is become of me. I should not age, but my spirit fades in this ugly place. Yours does as well, but from obsession over me.

Posted Image But we were meant for each other! Thy very words had said so!

Posted Image In my glade, amidst the stars and moon. 'Twas beauty in that, but I cannot be confined with thee. I am not human, and this is not my home.

Posted Image But this is MY home...

Posted Image This Abela will die with you. Free her if you truly feel as you do.

Posted Image I... it is so. Forgive me Abela, I have been a fool. I release you from my enchantments, and you are free to leave. Please do not think too harshly of me. I am but a foolish old man.

Posted Image I am not without fault, but 'tis my nature to breed obsession in people. A hazard of just being who and what I am. As for my impromptu saviors, my gratitude is boundless! Please, take a lock of hair to remember me by. I doubt I shall seekthe company of man for some time. Goodbye.

Then she teleports away, as nymphs can usually do.

Posted Image

Imoen is pretty disappointed with the whole experience. She was hoping for loot, but the poor man's shelves are totally empty.

Posted Image

We leave, and even though Imoen has the skyship parts, even though she has the telescope, she still seems crestfallen. We walk back through town and she brightens up when we get to the center. She turns her eyes to me and I know I'm going to say yes to whatever she asks. She asks if we can ask the Diviner for the location of the richest man in Baldur's Gate. I laugh, and agree. How can I say no? I like money too!

Posted Image

Posted Image Here's the money seer, but you better be for real.

Posted Image I am for real. Now what is it that you wish to know? I must tell you, I only have the strength to answer a single question in a day, so be careful in what you ask.

Posted Image Who is the richest man in Baldur's Gate, and where does he keep all of his money?

Posted Image Entar Silvershield is the wealthiest man in the city. He keeps his hoard in his bedroom at his estate.

Posted Image I cannot answer any more questions, you must leave now.

I have never seen Imoen smile so broadly as she is doing now. Oh my god, Entar Silvershield's estate? The man's bedroom? Can she really...? She reads my face and nods. Well, okay! She says with her sidekick there is no way for her to fail.

[Posted Image

We are going to get in so much trouble.

As soon as we get inside, both Imoen and Alora rush off to the west. They see big chests and they want to check them out.

Posted Image

Together they sign to each other 1... 2.... 3! Then they both open the chests at the same time. But at the last moment, Imoen gets interrupted!

Posted Image

She thinks fast.

Posted Image We bring news for Lord and Lady Silvershield. We believe that we have found news of their son. Any chance this pin is one of yours?

Posted Image I see that you have the household Sigil. Please go to meet Lady Silvershield directly. You can find her upstairs.

Imoen smiles and nods. Then Alora gets her lock open, and both girls dart their quick hands in and out, snatch and grab.

Posted Image

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!!!!! Just as guards pile into the front room we make it out of the front door.

Posted Image

RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN!!!

Imoen and Alora are on top of the world!

Posted Image

Posted Image Great idea! Can we, Syvishtar, please? PLEASE?

Posted Image What d'ya say? Pleease... let's have a party!

Posted Image Sure, why not?

Posted Image Great! We really need to cheer up some of those miserable guts you've got following us around!

I think back to the other members of the Golden Company at the Elfsong. Their angst, their backstories, their... intensity.

Posted Image Yeah, I know what you mean.

Posted Image Hey everyone, Syvishtar says we're gonna have a party!

Hey, if we can get back to the Elfsong in one piece, we'll have a million freakin' parties!

We run, we dash, we streak, we duck and juke, but most importantly we do not stop until the entire city is between us and Entar Silvershield's estate. Finally we make it back to the Elfsong tavern, and we all stumble into the common room, out of breath, laughing and talking all in a jumble, almost falling over from exertion. I've never had so much fun in my life!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Ok, I need to stop here or we'll never stop. We have decisions to make! Lots of hefty hefty decisions! Soon Imoen will be done with all of her thiefly quests and Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce will return to the party. But we've got two thieves now! So what should we do with Imoen's best sidekick forever, Alora?

What should her class be?
1. Pure Thief - We don't have any pure thieves in this game yet, just keep her as she is.
2. Burglar - We encountered her when she was burgling the Hall of Wonders at the same time we were. She's a burglar and no mistake.
3. Planewalker Thief - Her giggle belies her true nature, which is to giggle on all the planes of existence. No place is safe from her cheer!
4. Expert - She's an expert at stealing, but she'll never backstab you or anyone else for that matter. She's not mean!
5. Adventurer - Since Bardo Furfoot won't travel with us anymore, we could use another Adventurer. And she's it!
6. Burglar - No, silly, she's not a Burglar, she's a Burglar. TOTALLY different.

And where should be put the little halfling?
A. Elfsong her - She's a cutie alright, but there are tons of cuties in our ranks. She can wait until the next party vote to get in.
B. Line her - She can be next in line to replace someone else, right after Quayle.
C. Replace Indira - Girl needs some rest, even though she's been kicking ass, taking names, and making very astute observations.
D. Replace Edwin - You made the right call, kicking Edwin out. Let's keep it that way.
E. Replace Yeslick - He's been strangely silent recently. He's probably bored.
F. Replace Jaheira - The various repressed psychoses in this supposedly "true neutral" half-elf is seriously creeping me out.
G. Replace Wonderbounce - Edwin comes back in, Imoen goes out, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce stays upstairs where she belongs.

And finally, we have one more question to answer. We killed a ton of evil priestesses for it, so we had better use it.
Who should get the Tome of Understanding, aka the Book of Wisdom, +1 WIS?
Any character in all the Golden Company is possible, so name your favored choice.

Edited by Usurper, 25 November 2012 - 12:22 PM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#923 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

2, A,Syvishtar
LotN

#924 SapphireIce101

SapphireIce101
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

2, G, Syvishtar.

#925 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yay, you finally have Alora! I think that's everyone, right?

F
Syv

#926 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Well, there's Skie, but without Eldoth we can't get her. So yeah I think that's everyone.

#927 Fred The Archer

Fred The Archer
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

2, B, Yeslick

#928 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

4, G, Syv :) Really enjoyed the last update, btw.

#929 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'll go with 2, G, Syvishtar.

#930 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

4, G, Syv :) Really enjoyed the last update, btw.

Heh, thanks!

Hey guys, I just had an idea. I want to make a banner for the Golden Company. Something like the Flaming Fist banner:

Posted Image

I will see what I can make, but my graphics skills are limited at best. If anybody else has the time or inclination to make a sigil for the Golden Company as well, go right ahead! If there are any other submissions I'll put them all in a vote on the thread and we can choose the best one. Something that incorporates magic, and uncertainty or randomness, and gold, and ass-kicking.

Edited by Usurper, 27 November 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#931 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Okay, here are the final votes:
What should her class be?
1. Pure Thief ..
2. Burglar ...........
3. Planeswalker .......
4. Expert ........
5. Adventurer 
6. Burglar ......

And where should be put the little halfling?
A. Elfsong her ...
B. Line her ...
C. Replace Indira 
D. Replace Edwin .........
E. Replace Yeslick .
F. Replace Jaheira ............
G. Replace Wonderbounce ....

Tome of Understanding?

not Syvishtar ...
Syvishtar ................
Yeslick ........
Tiax .
Jaheira .
highest level cleric .

So it looks like Alora will be a neutral-aligned Burglar, she will replace Jaheira, and Syvishtar will get the Tome of Understanding. He will definitely make good use of it, I can assure you.

Finally, I changed what I had as an idea of a banner. Check this out!

Posted Image

Edited by Usurper, 05 December 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#932 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Kewl.

Very much... on point... regarding the whole Syvishtar-experience, that is.

Edited by Lurker of the north, 06 December 2012 - 04:40 AM.

LotN

#933 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Posted Image

25 Mirtul, 1370

We party all night long. At some point, we end up in a conga line.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: It might be hard to see but everybody's drunk! Woo!

Alora gets especially funny when she's drunk.

Posted Image

She bets Edwin that she can put him to sleep in two seconds flat. Of course he takes her up on the offer.

Posted Image

She looks really disappointed when her hit on the head doesn't seem to faze the drunk mage. She promises a rematch and then passes out.

Her party buddy temporarily unavailable, Imoen shouts across the room to Brevlik that we got what he wanted. I think she actually shouts out "wink wink!" Ha! Brevlik is overjoyed, of course.

Posted Image

Imoen loudly proclaims that she's going to add it to the Trophy Stash. Then she throws it up into the air and cheers. The whole crowd cheers with us, waking up Alora. Then the two thiefgirls decide to put on a performance. They sit everyone down and do a Show and Tell.

Posted Image

Turns out that what we end up with is a Wand of Lightning, a Bowl of Water Elemental Control, a Lock of Nymph's Hair, a Tome of Understanding, Delorna's Spellbook, Helshara's Artifact Fragment, Ithmeera's Statue, a Potion of Magic Blocking, a Potion of Invulnerability, a Zios Gem Studded Necklace, a Gold Necklace, a Moonbar Gem, a Star Diopsize Gem, a Water Opal, and a Bandfire Opal. We also have thousands and thousands more gold coins now than we had before. There is cheering and clapping after each and every item is presented. Then, with great fanfare and serious ado, Imoen presents me with the Tome of Understanding. She says I should read it. She says I could use some wisdom. Her eyes twinkle the barest bit above her somber countenance. Dubiously, I open and read it just to humor her.

Posted Image

Funny, I don't feel that different. Must be sucky wisdom. I get clapped and cheered anyways. The whole tavern drinks to my health. I suddenly feel a little embarrassed, and sit down next to my bear. We hug for a while, and I watch Indira strike up a conversation with Uguth.

Posted Image

Posted Image I am so frightened, it's a shame! What monsters did I fight, what hard work did I do to earn money for my journey here? And now that I am so near to my beloved, I am losing to my own fears and don't dare approach her.

Indira is quite drunk.

Posted Image You look very attractive, talking as humbly about yourself as you do now. Did you know that?

Posted Image What... that was sweet. If I get such compliments from a stranger, there could be a great chance my fiance will think so too.

Posted Image I will go to her now. You have convinced me! My fears are conquered and I am eager to meet her. But maybe... after a good wash first...

Posted Image Thank you, my friend. Farewell.

I smile at the easy resolution. Sometimes women have the words that men lack. I know that better than anyone. The Weave has taught me much. Maybe I do have some wisdom? Heh.

I catch Imoen going out the door. She says she wants to go drink with the other thievesess down in the thievesess' clubhouse. I think it is a marvelous idea! We all go, conga style.

Posted Image

We go in, party for a while, talk to everyone, and eventually I greet the leader of the thieves' guild again, Alatos.

Posted Image

Posted Image Alatos was most assuring in his description of your abilities. Right he was, and it is unfortunate I must close all loose ends. This includes potential loose tongues, and though talented, you are also expendable. I offer my sorrows, but you must die!

Whaa? haa? whooa! Resar throws magic around himself and disappears.

Posted Image

Posted Image Wha... GURK!

Posted Image Narlen! What, by all the gods, are you doing?!

Posted Image To ye I put the same query, ye traitorous fool! Ye set up one o' yer own!

Posted Image Explain yourself, lest you take an earth bath by next morn!

Posted Image Ye hired them to do yer dirty deed 'cause they be expendable, but they be as good a sneak as any we be! A brethren in burglary, who should die 'cause they no in the guild? Nay say I, and many more! They stump down our halls, they work the work, and they flee the flee. They with US, and you set US up!

Posted Image Seems ye made quite the impression on the guild, ye did. It would also seem that I erred aligning with Resar. Blasted politics addles the brains, and time and again I should stay out! Still, we've his coin, and the story of his demise is ours to construct. Never a total loss to be had! Ye have earned a place in the guild, a tie that never breaks.

Posted Image 'Eres the respect ye ran from the guard for! A round-the-world way to get it, to be sure, but worth it none the less! The doors here will always be open, excepting when pickably locked.

Imoen makes sure to loot Resar's body.

Posted Image

We get some gold and a scroll of Fire Shield (Blue) out of it.

Posted Image

That's going to see Firebead's hand soon! I give a sad sigh when I look at Resar's body. Too bad, really. I wanted to go to Halruaa. Why do my fellow mages all have to be suicidal? Come to think of it, Halruaa may be a post-apocalyptic wasteland constantly littered with dead bodies of magelings who threw fireballs at those above their station. Maybe I wouldn't want to go there after all...

Gameplay note: A better bit of thieving we have not yet seen than that shown by the good gentleman Narlen Darkwalk. Not only did he completely see through all of Resar's illusions in order to tell where he was, he backstabbed the fuck out of him, killing him in one round. But more importantly, he was true to his thieves' guild, putting brothers before others. More than any other class in the game, the thief is very dependent on a network of others of his class to match the toe-to-toe power of a pure fighter or the sheer reality-bending awesomeness of a mage. A thief without a guild just can't compete, so loyalty is essential. Narlen taught us Imoen and Alora a very valuable lesson tonight.

Getting attacked by yet another mage kinda puts a cap the night for us, and we go back to the Elfsong to get some much-needed sleep.

Posted Image

The next morning... err, afternoon, we all awake groggy and hung over. Such is the life of the successful thief! I think for a while and then say that with all the thieving done for now, Imoen should probably take a break again and spend some time at the thieves' guild. I tell her that we need to keep an ambassador in there to stay on their good side for the duration of our time in Baldur's Gate. She seems disappointed, but not much. She's going to love hanging out down there, I can tell.

Posted Image Your ego is positively elven. Drop it a notch, lest I do it for you.

Posted Image They continue under the delusion that I care at all.

Then we go upstairs to the second floor of the Elfsong to pick up Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Back to the party, I need your help.

We re-equip her in the manner she is accustomed.

Posted Image

While we are in the Armory we get Alora up to speed on the magical equipment too.

Posted Image

Now, it is time to see what this city looks like during the daytime! There's one place that we haven't really been to yet, the north central side of Baldur's Gate. Let's go check it out!

Posted Image

When we arrive we are approached by a little girl named Petrine.

Posted Image

That's... not much information. Where is her uncle's house? Where is the cat? Where is the ring? I do not know the answers to any of these questions. I sigh and hope I stumble upon something soon.

Unless...

Posted Image

Oh, of course! She's standing right outside her mean uncle's house, afraid to go in. Why didn't she just point at it or something?

Posted Image

Alora sneaks upstairs and even sees the cat, right there plain as day.

Posted Image

We also find a pretty good explanation for Bheren's meanness in the elf maiden sleeping on his bed.

Posted Image

He probably doesn't want his orphan niece hanging around and getting in the way while he's trying to get his game on with the elf chick. I decide to have a bit of a talk with him downstairs.

Posted Image

Posted Image Oh! Some people are just awful! Tell me you didn't even consider his offer, Syvishtar.

Alora creeps up behind him and tries to make him sleep with the fishes, as she calls it.

Posted Image

Maybe she needs actual fishes? She tells the rest of us to go outside. She's going to burglarize the place.

Posted Image Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy!

She manages to nab a weird potion, a gem, and an angel skin ring.

Posted Image

She goes right to Petrine and asks her if that is the ring.

Posted Image

Posted Image You be careful and stay out of trouble kid.

#934 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

We move down the street some more and a man with a strange tick stops us.

Posted Image

Posted Image What do you mean?

Posted Image Sewer-running, kiddo. Takin' a crawl through the urban man's dungeon, alright?

Posted Image Urban man's dungeon, is it? Why don't you show us how to get in?

Posted Image No sense in me showing you. There's entrances all over the place. Just look for the sewer gratings. Most of them pop right up and you can shimmy on down, man. As I said, urban man's dungeon.

By the Weave, he's right!

Posted Image

I can't resist, so I go down to take a look.

Immediately we are assaulted by slimes. Yuck!

Posted Image

Indira and Yeslick make short work of them.

Posted Image

Hmm... finish exploring topside, or run through stinky sewers? I choose topside. Sewers will keep.

We go back up and explore some more. The north wall is here, and the Black Dragon Gate.

Posted Image

Posted Image So when are we gonna do something? I'm raring to go!

Posted Image Must you crowd so close? 'Tis bad enough I must walk with you chimps.

Posted Image We fight for what's right, but you needn't take such pleasure in it.

I'm getting the feeling that Yeslick doesn't approve of Edwin. I've never heard him complain so much, or at all, about one person.

Posted Image

Heh.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Remember when making fun of fat people in popular media was still trendy? Yeah, I miss the 90s...

We keep looking around this area of the city and we come upon a scene in front of the temple.

Posted Image

Posted Image He hides inside a temple like a coward!

Posted Image The poor parents!

Posted Image Someone like that should be hanged! Lynch that child murderer!

Posted Image What is going on?

Posted Image Haven't you heard? The scoundrel that killed little Luisa is hiding in the temple! A paladin he was... can you imagine!

Posted Image That's horrible! Thank you for letting me know.

Trying to get a better look at the temple, we accidentally ruin a poor peasant's day.

Posted Image

Turns out the temple is to Helm. Looks just like the one down in Nashkel!

Posted Image

We go inside to see what's what.

Posted Image

Posted Image Sorry, the thought of being watched by some kind of ceaseless eye disturbs me immensely. I'll find my own way out.

Then I see some dude hiding in the shadows of the far wall. I go over to talk to him.

Posted Image

Posted Image You are the fallen paladin they talk about outside?

Posted Image *sigh* Yes, people outside demand that I be put to death. I wish Helm would give me answers to my prayers.

Posted Image What exactly did happen? People say you slew a child.

Posted Image That is what I hve one... She was a little girl, with brown curls. I am sure that her laughter was as joyful and light as is that of all children of that age. Excuse me, but I wish to kneel and pray to my god.

Posted Image Just one more question. Why did you do it?

Posted Image Why do you want to know? I committed the worst crime a man can do: I killed a child. Let me beg to my god for atonement, please!

Posted Image I want to know because I can't imagine you did this on purpose. There must have been some kind of mistake!

Posted Image A mistake... maybe it looks that way, but does that matter to the parents who lost their child who I mistook for a demon? Do people outside care that the demon had not merely taken the image of a child, as I thought I sensed with my holy powers, but merely possessed the girl? Does my god understand that I did not know that I could have saved the girl by banishing the demon with the right words first? And of what interest is this to you, anyway?

Posted Image So you're saying you've been tricked by a demon.

Posted Image Ha! Tricked, yes, maybe. Listen: I have failed, and killed a child. I will not try to excuse my deed by saying that the demon was too powerful for someone of my stature... the stature I had. It was my failing.

Posted Image What you told me makes much more sense than the story about the berserker paladin they are telling outside. I wish you the mercy of your god.

Posted Image I thank you, truly. But now please let me go on with my prayers.

When I get outside, I start asking the onlookers some more questions.

Posted Image

Posted Image Where did the girl live?

Posted Image Not far from here. It's a house near the palace entrance. The parents don't leave the house anymore, so they say. The father lost his mind!

There's a palace around here? I start to wander around, looking for something palatial. Another mage stops me in the street. Uh oh. Just smile and nod, smile and nod.

Posted Image

Posted Image Certainly, good sir. What is your concern?

Posted Image You are mercenary, no? I can tell because you are battle-ugly with scars, yes? I have need of a stealthy, well-equipped group, to perform an act the guard would frown upon. I trust you are available and willing? I pay better than common blade-wage, but you need be discreet. I go on, yes?

Posted Image What is it I will be expected to do?

Posted Image My proposition is thus; I would have you enter into the home of a colleague of mine, and effect the release of a creature he has imprisoned there. Ragefast be his name, and he has in his possession one of the most beautiful and useful creatures in all of Faerun. It's a Nymph he captured some time ago, and I know not what laughable plans he has for her, but I am sure she be more... productive in my care. I not so rich as to be able to offer huge gold, but as competent wizard I do have the odd magical item of worth. Perhaps an enchanted weapon will serve your needs, no?

Posted Image Why not do this yourself? You do not seem as powerless as your plea makes you sound.

Posted Image Indeed I be proficient in that which is magical, but so is Ragefast. None know better how to defend against a wizard than another wizard. This require stealth and guile, or quick blade with muscle behind. You have; I lack. Simple, no?

I've already released the nymph. But I just can't bring myself to tell him that. And if I agree to do it and then don't follow through, there's just going to be another dead mage on the streets of Baldur's Gate (and it's not going to be me). I decide to refuse.

Posted Image Bah! This petty larceny is beneath me! I'll have none of it!

Posted Image As you wish. I'll trouble you no more.

#935 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

But standing right next to him is some man in golden armor who tells us to wait.

Posted Image

Posted Image Who are you?

Posted Image I am Jedyan, a man who fights evil at every turn, and defends the innocent when I can. Officially I am a general of the Flaming Fist, and my overall mission is counter-intelligence against the nation of Amn. I only work for one person though, and that is Duke Eltan. You can completely rely on him.

Posted Image The new threat, the Grey Clan, endangers the whole region of Baldur's Gate. They have better equipment than the Black Talon Elite ever had, and their wizards seem to use powerful magic.

Posted Image Where do they come from? Where do they get their supplies from?

Posted Image Unfortunately I must leave at once, but note that I have excellent warriors at my disposal and you can rely on them. If you meet Jusam, Hertuk or Talibehius, you should identify yourself so that they know you are on our side. You will be asked about the sky and the weather, and must reply with the phrase: "Storm approaches but light will come." Jusam might be somewhere around the Hall of Wonders... I wish you luck my friends, you will need it.

So does he want us to help or...? At least he explains what that guy near the Hall of Wonders was doing slaughtering fools at night. I wonder if he is still around?

I look around for the palace and find it. But I am discouraged from going in.

Posted Image

Right next door is a very interesting shrine, though. Reminds me of the shrine to Oghma in Candlekeep actually.

Posted Image

And then, as we gaze into the gates of the Duchal Palace, Alora strikes up a conversation with Edwin.

Posted Image

Posted Image 'Tis welcome you find no fault with one such as I.

Posted Image Everyone is basically decent, once you get them to unwrinkle their faces.

Posted Image If that is what you wish to believe, then... hold on... wrinkles? (It cannot be!)

And with that, the palace area is completely revealed to us.

Posted Image

Jusam is on my mind now, so I go back to the Hall of Wonders to see if I can still find him. Sure enough, he is still there, standing guard over a corpse.

Posted Image

Posted Image I talked to General Jedyan, and...

Posted Image The sky is clear tonight, or what do you think?

Posted Image Storm approaches but light will come.

Posted Image A new recruit! Welcome to our secret community. General Jedyan is our leader, and the most faithful soldier of Duke Eltan. Time is of the essence, so let me just give you a short briefing.

Posted Image I am happy to join you.

Posted Image It would seem that the problem is more difficult than we first thought. After the Flaming Fist destroyed the last positions of the bandits, we thought that the threat had ended. Unfortunately a group of bandits escaped and formed a clan. They call thmselves "The Grey Clan." They are dangerous and have a lot of resources at their disposal, and we do not know who supports them with the high-quality weapons, gold, and supplies. Neither do we know if there is any connection between the Clan and the group, which stands and probably leads the machinations of the Iron Throne.

Posted Image I am ready for anything. What can be done?

Posted Image Though you have proven your skills against the bandits already, I would...

Posted Image What the... To arms!!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Tattooed Man is voiced! And he sounds... Eastern European?

After one hit from Yeslick, though, Tattooed Man changes his mind.

Posted Image

Then he Dimension Doors out and leaves a bunch of low-level flunkies for us to kill.

Posted Image

Some of the bandits don't attack us, but attack nearby men and women!

Posted Image

We along with Jusam kill the remaining Grey Clan bandits, but it is too late to save some of the people of this fine city.

Posted Image

I turn to him for instructions.

Posted Image

Posted Image Halt! Tell me something about the weather and the sky!

Posted Image Storm approaches, but light will come.

Posted Image Any news?

Posted Image A message from Talibehius: the clan has captured one of our spies. We must free her quickly. Helm knows what they'll do to her otherwise. According to our spies the bandits broke into a house in the northwestern district, the one where Silvershield's Estate is located.

Posted Image Then we must go immediately. Let's separate and each search different houses of the district. That way we will locate them quicker. Let's go!

Posted Image Good luck, Lord Jusam!

Well, sounds like there is no time to lose! We rush north to the correct district.

Posted Image

Then we start our house-to-house search. Alora seems to... loiter in each of the houses.

Posted Image Happy to help!

Inside one of the house we find a little dude with a big big problem.

Posted Image

We search his house but find nothing too special. Then we move on. The next house isn't really, but more of a tavern. Hard to tell sometimes. We are greeted by Connoly Finn.

Posted Image

Posted Image Tell me what the common folk are talking about these days.

Posted Image The common folk? I don't know anyone that likes to be referred to in that way. I think most would tell you that the nobles are much less interesting than the "common folk." We are free to go where we wish and speak to whomever we please. Nobles must worry about being seen with the "wrong sort," or being caught in the "wrong place." Many a tale has been spilled about the haples efforts of noble fools trying to cover their exploits. Many a tale in this bar here, actually.

I'll have to come back and talk to Connoly Finn more later. I need to find some bandits now.

Posted Image

The poor guy dies as we rush by into the place. Inside, the scene is no better.

Posted Image

The magics for Slow, Fear, Chant, and Magic Missile fly from everyone's hands. We've got to keep these bandits from killing the house's occupant!

Posted Image

Indira and the Sirine go crazy on the bastards, but they are too late. One of them still manages to cut down the person of the house before they all die.

Posted Image

We go upstairs to be greeted by a bandit named "Bloody" Jim.

Posted Image

But the sound of mailed boots on the stairs cheers me for once. Must be Flaming Fist! Or... yes!

Posted Image

Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce tries to use her charms on Gartuffe, the big ugly, but he rebuffs her ... to death.

Posted Image

Crap! I try to kill him in retaliation, and hit him with Ajandurah's Ice Shard.

Posted Image

The room is totally packed with sweaty bodies and deadly weapons. Yeslick manages to kill Gartuffe, and we all close in on Bloody Jim.

Posted Image

One of the Flaming Fist Elites gets him, and the second floor is clear.

#936 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

The injured woman in the corner is still alive, even!

Posted Image

Posted Image Here, take this healing potion.

Posted Image Aaaah... I feel much better now. Blessings upon you, adventurer!

Posted Image Do you have any important information about the Clan?

Posted Image Th-they were talking about invading some Inn. *cough* The black-skinned Half-ogre also mentioned that he likes living gnomes for dinner... *ugh* Based on what I've overheard, it's very likely that they do not work for the Iron Throne. I can't recall anything else that might be of importance to you.

Posted Image Thank you for your help, I'm sure it will help us to find and destroy their organization.

Posted Image I'm sorry that I can't help more.

Then I go over to speak with Jusam.

Posted Image

Posted Image She must rest now, but I will tell you what I have heard from her. It is very likely that the Clan does not work for the Iron Throne, they may even be enemies. She also mentioned that the bandits were planning to invade some... some inn! I have no idea why an inn needs an army to be invaded. According to the bandits, the place is led by gnomes.

Posted Image It must be the Friendly Arm Inn! While it appears to be a significant fortress, they only have a few guards, and nothing to defend them against a large assault. The guards are so poorly trained that they would probably run away at the sight of a toothless gibberling. I can't even imagine the slaughter the bandits can cause there. Even Bentley and Gelana won't be ale to oppose so many bandits. You must go there immediately! I'll inform Tergius and Hertuk, and prepare a Flaming Fist assault.

Posted Image I will travel there as soon as I can, and will do my best to save the innocents.

Posted Image Go!

Oh crap!

When we get out of the house, the area is swarming with Flaming Fist. At least they can respond to something inside their own damn city.

Posted Image

Man, the Friendly Arm Inn under assault? What are we going to do? Well, first, we must raise Wonderbounce...

Posted Image

It costs 800 gold. Then we drop her off to relax some more at the Elfsong.

Posted Image

Posted Image You have to wait here. There is no room for you right now.

And, if we're going to repel an entire army of bandits assaulting the Friendly Arm Inn, we need someone fearless, someone stalwart, someone who laughs in the face of evil and scoffs at enemy blades. We need...

Posted Image

Posted Image Headlong rushes are fine with me. But we don't have space in the party for another mage right now. Perhaps Dynaheir would be willing to remain behind, at least for now?

Posted Image Minsc and Boo and Dynaheir are a team! And one which takes up very little space. We should remain together!

Posted Image Nay, Minsc, we should respect Syvishtar's judgment. We owe him much. Fare thee well, I shall be safe here and we will meet again before long.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Wow, excitement! Like I said before, I have never played this part of Baldur's Gate 1 in the Big World Project, so this is new to all of us. We are starting another big mod now, the Grey Clan. Doesn't seem too hard so far, we were able to melee the bandits to death. And I briefly skimmed a walkthrough, and there's going to be mold golems! Looking forward to that.

#937 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I've made some changes to the Golden Company listing. First of all, I've taken Syvisthar out of the list. This whole Let's Play is his/her biography. Why put another small summary into that chapter as well? Second, I've put paragraphs in everyone's biographies. You can stop straining your eyes while reading them now. And third, I have added new entries and changed others:

Posted Image Posted Image Alora: A level 11 halfling Burglar with 110 in Open Locks and Find Traps, 135 in pick Pockets, and 100 in Detect Illusion. She is a specialist in Clubs, Maces, and Slings. She is also a specialist in Single Weapon Style.

Imoen met Alora first in the Hall of Wonders at night, as Imoen was inside trying to steal the telescope. She at first almost had a heart attack, thinking Imoen was a guard, but then recognized her as a fellow thief. She offered to join us, and we accepted, temporarily sending Edwin back to the Elfsong. She and Imoen had a grand old time stealing Entar Silverhshield's entire fortune right out from under his nose. As we were all tearing through the streets they were laughing uproariously. Alora demanded that we have a party as soon as we got back to the Elfsong, and Imoen started begging right along with her. How could I say no? We had a great time, of course, and chose to keep Alora with us rather than Jaheira. She is always a source of joy and happiness, actually saying things like "Happy happy joy joy!" while thieving. I didn't know it was possible to have a thief more bubbly than Imoen, but Alora may be it!

Posted Image Posted Image Edwin: A level 5 human Conjurer who knows level 1, level 2, and level 3 spells. He is proficient in the Quarter Staff. By virtue of an heirloom amulet he is the most powerful mage in existence, able to cast 2 extra spells per level.

We met him on the bridge over the river in Nashkel where he said he wanted to kill the witch Dynaheir. We told him he could travel with us but we would not promise anything about killing. Minsc also said he would keep an eye on him.

He tried to position himself as the superior mage in the party, but I kept putting him back in his place. When we finally found Dynaheir, he became quite upset that I didn't kill her. He must have poisoned her or something himself because she dropped dead a few days later and I had to resurrect her. He also tried to steal her journal when she got it back, but she had warded it and he sheepishly gave it back to her. The man was getting on my ever-loving nerves, so I left him at the Jovial Juggler to relax. I hoped it would mellow him out, but it didn't.

We picked him up again when I got Thorfinn Hauskluniff killed by lightning in Feldepost's Inn. He lasted until the Valley of the Tombs, when he and everyone else in my group died to amazon mercenary bounty hunters from hell. I dropped him off again at the Jovial Juggler, a mite sheepishly.

He stayed there for many months while we ran to Restenford, and the Cloakwood, and flooded the mines there. We didn't talk to him again until after we got back from all those adventures, brought in the new year of 1370, and decided to explore the cave behind the Song of the Morning Temple. I decided to bring him along as expendable cannon fodder. He learned quite a few spells at the feet of Firebead Elvenhair after we recruited that mage, and became a dependable second-tier mageling. He was the go-to mage for just one more Magic Missile. But a freak accident with ogres led to his untimely demise in the Lonely Peaks, so I resurrected him and switched him out for Xzar.

After we were ambushed by Section Operatives on the way to Baldur's Gate, Imoen and Black Bear fell, so we picked up Edwin to take their place. He was with us when we killed the elves from Evermeet who were trying to keep us from Wyrm's Crossing, and took up one of the Elven Chainmails that are now the signature of the Golden Company of Syvishtar. He is becoming a pretty powerful mage in his own right, although much less so than myself.

Lately, Yeslick has been complaining a lot about him. The dwarf seems to especially dislike the mage. I can understand why, but I hope they don't come to blows. Quite frankly I don't think Edwin would survive the attempt.

Posted Image Posted Image Imoen: A dual-classed level 7 human Charming Rogue / level 8 Mage who can cast some level 1, level 2, level 3, and level 4 mage spells. She is proficient in the Quarterstaff and Two Handed Weapon Style.

My childhood friend, partner in crime, and a general troublemaker. She reads letters that she's not supposed to. She also followed me out of Candlekeep and pledged to keep me company until I got tired of her. Nice girl, her.

When we killed Tarnesh on the steps of the Friendly Arm Inn, she picked up his spellbook and started studying it. She manged to create a strange book-like artifact that makes her more dexterous once a day.

Meanwhile, she became a pretty good thief, as evidenced by the Great Beregost Caper, when she went into every single house and building in the city and brought back everything, leaving them weaponless, potionless, bookless, and penniless.

Xzar seems to enjoy freaking her out. He asked her how many deaths were contained in her body, and she dubiously answered just one. But then he talked about how many children she would have, and how many they would have, and on and on in an unbroken line of death. I think he may have put her off of having children at all.

In a conversation with Gavin, I confessed to him that one of my favorite hobbies was getting drunk in the taverns with Imoen. She's a great drinking buddy.

When we got to Nashkel and killed the assassin waiting for us at the Nashkel Inn, I finally let it slip that I had been attacked by assassins within Candlekeep. She was shocked, and wanted to know why I hadn't told her. I said that I wanted to spare her the worry and prevent her from getting mixed up in all this, which she did anyways.

She used Minsc to semi-blackmail Dynaheir into teaching her how to cast Burning Hands, and yet we still all love her. She has been in my party and my presence since I left Candlekeep, and never even died until amazons hunted us down in the Valley of the Tombs and killed the entire party. I barely had time to get our equipment and get out of there. I sadly gave her some time to rest at the Jovial Juggler.

After I got turned into a woman, failed the first raid on the bandit camp, and came back to the Jovial Juggler, we became better friends than ever! I of course invited her back onto the road with me and she accepted while calling me a rumjake fool. I love this girl.

Safana took a liking to her, too, and they quickly became best thief buddies forever. Safana even showed her how to lockpick more effectively, and said that Imoen reminded her of another pretty young thing she once knew. Imoen once asked Safana how she remained looking so good even during combat. She replied that one has to think beyond the immediate future and plan for the long-term, and always looking good is part of that.

After Branwen broke up with me in Restenford, Imoen cornered her and forced her to admit that she still had feelings for me. It was just what I needed to hear and set my heart more at ease.

When we were in the midst of cleaning out the Cloakwood, she took the final step to cement our friendship forever. She gave up her training as a rogue, charming as she was, and dual-classed to a mage! Now we will be able to share everything forever! I wish she was my sister.

She was Dire Charmed in the assault on the Cloakwood Mines while at low health, preventing me from casting Fireballs into the crowd of enemies for most of the battle. After she returned to our side, she killed the mage that had charmed her with a well-placed Arrow of Ice from her bow. Unfortunately the mage's ally felled her in the next moment with a conjured Flame Arrow of his own. I mourned her loss; we all mourned her loss. And I also mourned the interruption to her studies. We had to drop her off and pick up Skeezer Lumpkin VI in her place.

But after we successfully flooded the Cloakwood Mines and then brought in the new year in the Jovial Juggler, Imoen infected us with the exploration bug again, and of course we took her with us to explore the cave behind the Song of the Morning Temple. When we were able to recruit Firebead Elvenhair into our party, she was able to learn quite a few spells at his feet, and like the rest of us she was very sad to see him fall in battle. She became a much more effective mage because of him.

Coran complimented her grace and poise at thieving once, but she said she really wasn't into it. She reconfirmed her commitment to magic.

She learns quickly. When she learned to cast Dispel Magic and Haste, I found her to be even more indispensable than before. I don't know what I'd ever do without her. She was with me, Conchobhair Strongblade, Bjornin, Jet'laya, and Bardo when we killed the Green Forest Dragon. And she was right there beside me all throughout Castle Daerthmac, ultimately witnessing CuChoinneach's defeat at the hands of Lord Daerthmac and my defeat, in turn, of him. She was also with us when we descended deep into the Underdark, killing duergar, drow, and spiders by the score. She backed me up on many a Fireball cast, adding her own to the mix.

She has been the best apprentice ever, so of course we took her with us when we decided to clear the way to Baldur's Gate. However, when we were ambushed by Section Operatives and went back to Beregost to wreak mighty vengeance against their secret base underneath the town, Imoen ended up dying after a wild surge exploded into a Fireball right at my feet. I was devastated. I still am. I could hardly look at her in the face for many a day after.

But she didn't seem to mind, because when I escorted her to the Elfsong Tavern in Baldur's Gate, she immediately threw a birthday party for me when we arrived. And she gave me what may be the most meaningful present I'd ever received - a necklace made from the shattered pieces of Gorion's necklace that she had picked up from his corpse on that fateful night so long ago. I was choked up and couldn't speak, but I knew she forgave me. That was enough.

Also when we got to Baldur's Gate, she used its cosmetic resources to give Xan a makeover. She dyed his hair pink and gave him even more garish clothing. He only tolerated it because I pretended that it was awesome, and I pretended that it was awesome because I wanted to see him keep dressing that way. I love this girl!

After we found the Baldur's Gate thieves' guild, we temporarily added in Imoen so that we could gain membership. She enthusiastically started speaking "the cant" to Narlen Darkwalk, even though we had never heard her speak like that before. She started using words like "clapperdudgeon" and phrases like "cloyin' babycandy." Narlen took to her like water to a duck. She led us on a string of increasingly grandiose thieving capers all over the city, culminating in the thieving of Entar Silvershield's entire personal fortune from his own bedroom of his estate. She also ran into Alora, another cute and bubbly Burglar, while stealing the telescope from the Hall of Wonders. They've latched onto each other, feeding on each other's bright and happy demeanors. I think that if they stay together too long, they may explode. We decided to keep Alora and let Imoen spend some time in the theives' guild after Narlen Darkwalk took our side when Resar, a visiting mage from Halruaa, tried to kill us. Narlen backstabbed the hell out of him, saving us the trouble. All thanks to Imoen.

Posted Image Posted Image Indira: A level 6/6 half-elf Fighter/Mage who can cast some level 1, level 2, and level 3 mage spells. She is Specialized in Long Swords and Short Bows. She is also proficient in Spears and Two Weapon Style.

We found her in the Firewine Ruins, almost out of spells, with a broken sword, lamenting her lost party. She said that the kobolds had killed them all, and that only she was left. We expressed some doubts that she was a good fighter if she had let her entire party die, but she swore to prove to us that she was capable.

We let her join and take up Kagain's mantle as main tank, because he definitely needed a rest. She was doing well, dual-wielding swords of fire and ice and confusing our enemies with Mirror Image, until a paladin and cleric combo ambushed us outside of the Friendly Arm Inn. The cleric Flamestriked her to death in one hit, a shocking and cruel opening to a desperate battle. We let her go rest for a bit at the Jovial Juggler after her resurrection.

After we had been ambushed and decimated by Section 1, we picked her up to replace the fallen Black Bear. With the equipment we found down in Section 1 headquarters and the tutelage of Firebead, she has become a formidable fighter.

She has revealed herself to be a slightly awkward person, personality-wise, but also very bright with a strong conscience. When we toured the Hall of Wonders, she latched onto the idea that the items in there could all be used together. The steam engine, the pump, and the automatic lamp fillers could be combined into a city-wide automatic lamp oil delivery system. Also, when things went terribly wrong in the Blushing Mermaid, she along with Yeslick started protesting that it was all horribly wrong. She was not mollified until we had donated quite a few coins to the Lady Luck temple.

Posted Image Posted Image Jaheira: A level 5/5 half-elf fighter/Priest of Sylvanus who can cast some level 1, level 2, and level 3 cleric spells. She is a Specialist in the Quarterstaff and the Cross Bow.

A very pushy woman. She says that she and Khalid often "look into" local concerns, and she wanted us to all look into what was going down in Nashkel. Lets Khalid follow her around like a lost puppy.

She disapproved of us working for Silke, and reprimanded me for doing that. After some time together we decided to trade her and Khalid for Finch and Shar-Teel. She took Khalid and left for the Friendly Arm Inn without so much as a goodbye.

After Finch died for the 4th time, we approached Jaheira again to join our party, and convinced her to join without being accompanied by Khalid. She immediately tried to call out Gavin for not pulling his weight in the group and not telling the party about his wife and child, even though he already had told us while she was not around. She came out of the talk looking like a complete nosy bitch.

She later died to a surprise Astral Phase Spider hiding out in a cave near the Song of the Morning Temple, cut down in one round. We resurrected her, dropped her off at the Jovial Juggler, and picked up Shar-Teel instead.

We picked her up again after Thorfinn Hauskluniff and Dynaheir died taking out Tazok's lackey Tranzig in Feldepost's Inn. She lasted until we went to the Valley of the Tombs, where she and everyone else was slaughtered by some amazonian merceneries sent out to kill us for the Iron Throne. I dropped her back off at the Jovial Juggler and picked up Khalid instead.

Much, much later, after we had liberated the Cloakwood Mines, killed some vampires in Castle Daerthmac, and made ready to go to Baldur's Gate, we picked her up again to take with us to Baldur's Gate for the first time. She was with us when we were ambushed by Section Operatives and fought by our side all the way down into their secret base and to the surface again. She gained power and knowledge quickly, and she is now on par with any other cleric or fighter in the Golden Company.

When we heard of the murder of Tremain Belde'ar's son by the priestess of the Water Queen Umberlee, Jaheira seemed to experience some sort of crisis of conscience. She seemed to think that resurrecting the dead child would interrupt the cycle of nature, and would therefore be wrong. But she couldn't really bring herself to support that position, and said she would make an exception for this child. So, what, Jaheira doesn't believe in resurrection? Maybe I should just leave her dead the next time she dies.

She also cost us a pretty penny while under the effects of a Confusion spell. She was the one who executed a civilian while Confused. There were others of our party who were also Confused, but she is the only one who took it out on a bystander. The lady is starting to give me the creeps.

Posted Image Posted Image Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce: A level 6 sirine Beguiler who is a Grand Master of Long Bows, and is proficient in Short Bows, Spears, and Halberds.

She is a sirine from the friendly group of sirines near the Lighthouse on the coast. She agreed to work for me for a cool thousand gold. We took her back to the Jovial Juggler and introduced her to everyone else. They all loved her, of course.

We decided to take her with us when we went to Baldur's Gate, and she was there for our ambush and subsequent annihilation of Section One. She has been extremely deadly with her bow the entire time, and now with all the +2 arrows we got from Section Elites, she is even more deadly. Plus, her beguiling song will charm any enemies that come near us.

She is quite useful, as long as we don't leave her alone in taverns. She has a problem with starting brawls in them. Not by beating people up, but whenever people stand too close to her they just seem to end up fighting to the death for her affections.

We decided to give her a bit of a break and pick up Imoen when it was time to work for the thieves' guild of Baldur's Gate. When Imoen was done, we picked up Lady Seafoam again. However, she was killed in the very next big fight against agents of the Grey Clan, namely one Gartuffe, a half-ogre. She tried to charm him in the middle of the fight, but he resisted and responded with a bastard sword. She did not survive the attack. We let her rest in the Elfsong Tavern (second floor, private room) and picked up Minsc.

Finally, I've made some banners in different fonts for the listing. Which do you think is coolest?

Ringbearer (Lord of the Rings font):
Posted Image

Morpheus (Diablo II font):
Posted Image

Sherwood (Baldur's Gate font):
Posted Image

Edited by Usurper, 08 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#938 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Have a hard time choosing anything but Sherwood...

#939 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Posted Image

25 Mirtul, 1370

Minsc also looks great in gold.

Posted Image

We tell him about the problem, and he is more than happy to rush to the rescue of the Friendly Arm Inn. So without further ado, we are off in the wee hours of the morn.

Posted Image

Gameplay Note: The first thing that happens when we arrive is that the dulcet tones of true MIDI music waft through my speakers. I of course immediately recorded it for your enjoyment!

Posted Image

As soon as we arrive, we see a strange conversation.

Posted Image

Posted Image Vladimir inserted keys... all six keys...

Posted Image You inserted the keys when I wasn't here?! Idiot! Moron! They must be inserted in the correct order, you nitwit! You oaf!

Posted Image Vladimir is sorry... Vladimir wanted insert no keys... keys wrong order...

Posted Image *sigh* Let's make an attempt with your order then. I am sure it's wrong, but at least it will drop the keys, and we can insert them again in the order which is described on my scroll.

Posted Image Yes... yes mistress...

Posted Image Golem, I am your master. Give me the items that you're guarding!

Posted Image Wrong key order. You are not Master. You are dead.

Then the Mold Golem casts a point-blank fireball and kills two of the mooks standing around!

Posted Image

Posted Image Vladimir keys... will find keys...

Then High Sorceress Linda Dimension Doors away. Of course Vladimir comes after us first.

Posted Image

Oh Vladimir, Vladimir, poor, stupid Vladimir... Indira takes him out.

Posted Image

Minsc is already getting into the whole experience.

Posted Image Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?

We see someone behind us, watching the whole fight, so we turn to address him.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, I like beer.

Posted Image I am very happy to hear that, my friend! We shall make a great drinking competition sometime! Hehehe...

Posted Image You are a strange guy. I thought that the warriors of the Flaming Fist behave like paladins and know the etiquette at least on a basic level. And you have not identified yourself yet, which can cause serious troubles.

Posted Image Hehe, officially I am a member of the Flamingses, hehe, but I follow my own rules. They need me because they lack of such strong and, um... rough guys like me. Storm approaches but light will come.

Posted Image I enjoyed our chat. See you later, Talibehius.

Posted Image Later, friend.

Gameplay Note: In case you were wondering (and I know you were) the MIDI track has been repeating this entire time. Here it is again in case you wanted to recreate my experience:

Posted Image

I move over behind the Mold Golem in order to try to loot something off of these dead hobgoblins, when I see some more enemies! Two golems on the drawbridge.

Posted Image

They are vulnerable to everyone's attacks, but they hit damn hard too. I can see the blood spraying out of Indira as she attacks!

Posted Image

She drinks a super healing potion, retreats, and casts Wraith Form.

Posted Image

Yeslick takes out the final golem.

Posted Image

Indira goes to loot and sees another Grey Clan bandit in the trees.

Posted Image

That probably means they are all over the place outside of the Friendly Arm Inn. We should clear it out. Sure enough, killing one leads to another.

Posted Image

But before we do that, we should probably examine the Mold Golem.

Posted Image

Posted Image Examine the keyholes.

Posted Image All of the keyholes are different sizes. Based on what the bandits were doing when you arrived, it seems that you need to have all six keys to make the golem identify you as its master.

Hmm. With that we go back to making our way around the Friendly Arm Inn. A short trek to the east and we find a standoff.

Posted Image

Posted Image (These are knights, you moron. We have no chance against them. Let's lure them to the gate.)

The bandits start trying to go our way, seemingly ignoring us. Then a mage in black and red steps out of the shadow of a tree.

Posted Image

Posted Image Greatest of Dreadlords, please spare me! I beg of you! I won't fail again!

Posted Image I can slay these knights! They will suffer horribly before their death, I promise! Give me a chance, my Lord!

Posted Image Silence, men. Your bodies aren't needed right now. You can watch how the darkness consumes the flesh and souls of these knights.

Posted Image In the name of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart, and by the will of Torm, I sentence thee to death. No longer will thee curse the realm with thy foul necromancy and murderous schemes! The execution takes place now!

The three knights rush the unprepared mage, and I wince at the inevitable bloodspray... but instead, the mage... he... he instantly and irrevocably melts them all and resurrects them an instant later as undead. What the hell?! How did...? who can...? There is no time to wonder because they are all upon us.

Posted Image

This requires the intervention of the Weave. This cannot stand. Yeslick prays the Chant and Edwin hastes us all as I reach out for the power to control these undead. Honestly, undead knights in mine enemies' service? Unacceptable!

Posted Image

It works! I laugh in glee, and send my new minion to kill the bandit.

Posted Image

I try to do it again to somewhat save Publius Dawnbringer, but he resists my spell.

Posted Image

So, unfortunately, we must put him down.

Posted Image

On one of the dead bandit's bodies, I find a small iron key.

Posted Image

And on the other, I find a copper key.

Posted Image

Then we follow the outside of the wall, searching for more bandits. We hear the sounds of battle but are unsure where they are coming from.

Posted Image

Everyone in the group, except myself, is weary and tired, but we must press on.

#940 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

We find more bandits soon enough.

Posted Image

North of the Inn, near the road, we run into a few more knights.

Posted Image

Posted Image I am here to investigate and destroy the Grey Clan.

Posted Image I trust you. These are my friends, John and Ernest, and they have travelled with me from Amn in search of my beautiful wife, Mary, who has been kidnapped by the Grey Clan.

Posted Image Why do you think that they have taken your wife there?

Posted Image Mary was kidnapped a week ago. Soon after a demand for ransom arrived: Ten thousand gold, but most importantly that I revealed the route of the next Amnish military caravan that transported weapons. If I should fail to meet their demands my wife would be killed. Never trust a criminal! The exchange was arranged to happen in a small Amnish village this very night, but fortunately I had a wizard friend of mine, a master in divination magic, scry her, and he told me that they had taken her to the Friendly Arm Inn, miles from where we agreed to meet. So here I am, though the fools within don't know that yet.

Posted Image So, you want to attack the fortress with only two people to assist you?

Posted Image Unfortunately their numbers are too many for us to handle. Furthermore, they have ogres amongst their ranks, and they are fearsome foes indeed. Hmmm, you seem to be familiar with this area. Would you care to help this old Amnish man retrieve his wife, adventurer?

Posted Image I'm familiar with this area. I will save your wife if I can.

Posted Image Please do so. We'll stay here; if you are ever forced to retreat battle we can aid you if you lead your enemies to us... Also, I don't know if this is relevant, so many strange things have happened lately, but just minutes prior to your arrival this key of sorts simply dropped from the skies. I don't know *what* caused this to happen, mind you, but I am still sane enough to know that keys don't just fall from the skies. Something or someone must have thrown it or whatever. Perhaps it unlocks the door to the Inn? Nevertheless, you can have it. Now go! Save my wife, please.

Sure thing buddy! After all, it is extremely silly to assault a fortress with just two people to assist you. Everybody knows you assault fortresses with FIVE people to assist you!

He also gives us a brass key.

Posted Image

On the west side of the Inn, we come across a party of dwarves taking out some ogre bandits.

Posted Image

We help them take out the lowlifes. Then I speak to their leader, Fundor Balorslayer.

Posted Image

Posted Image How much gold are you speaking of?

Posted Image I offer 400 gp for the Golden Helm, our family relic that these damned bandits stole from us. 400 gold pieces, no more and no less.

Posted Image I accept your offer. I will be back with your relic.

Posted Image Very well. We will wait here.

And on one of the bandit corpses we find a small brass key.

Posted Image

Frustratingly, it is during the next ambush that my undead minion decides to revolt.

Posted Image

Yeslick puts him down after he takes care of the wolves.

Posted Image

Minsc is able to take care of business with the bandits themselves.

Posted Image

You know, for all of the talk about bandits with better equipment and magic, I have only seen that of Xephistagoras, so far. These other guys are chumps.

Gameplay note: The MIDI disappears for every combat, because the combat music takes its place. But oh, it sure comes back after!

Posted Image

During our next ambush, because of course there are many, I get a Fireball aaaaalmost right.

Posted Image

Then we follow the road by the Friendly Arm south, and meet a lone mage standing in the middle. I approach cautiously.

Posted Image

Posted Image Who are you?

Posted Image I am Tergius, sage and scientist. I guide Lord Jusam on the paths of wisdom.

Posted Image Why should I trust you? I have found you alone in an area that is full of bandits, and you are totally calm and delighted, as if you were here to smell the fresh air. I have a serious reason to think that you are a jester or even a conspirator of the Clan.

Gameplay note: It was either say that or "I don't trust you. Prepare to die old man."

Posted Image You should reconsider this. Unwise decisions might bring danger and even death upon you.

Posted Image Stop calling me a child, old man! Do you have anything that might prove your identity? I think... Wait! Tell me about the weather and the sky! Tell me!

Posted Image I am happy to see that you have wisdom. However, you still have much to learn... Storm approaches but light will come.

Posted Image I see that you know the password. I hope you are really the person you say you are. So why have you come here? How could you get here so fast?

Posted Image As you know, Lord Jusam had to leave immediately when he learned that the Friendly Arm Inn had been beset by the bandits. I have come here to help you. My journey was short indeed, because I used my magic to come here; though I cannot teleport armies, I was able to bring Talibehius and Hertuk with me. If you have any questions about the Clan, just ask me. However, it is your decision whether to trust me or not.

Posted Image Tell me about the Grey Clan.

Posted Image According to the current theory, when the Bandit Camp was destroyed and the unorganized bandits were captured or killed by the Flaming Fist, a larger group of them managed to escape and formed a clan. The exact location of their base is still unknown. They have a lot of gold and high-quality items. The woods are a good place for hiding, and they know how to tame wolves and use them as war animals. They are now everywhere in Baldur's Gate and in other cities as well, endangering the public security, infiltrating the Flaming Fist or bribing them if necessary. They are very serious enemies indeed.

Posted Image Do you think there is a connection between the people who control the Iron Throne and the bandits of the Clan?

Posted Image I am certain that there is no such connection between those groups. The Clan wants to own everybody and everything, and surely does not intend to work for other associations. In fact, it is very likely that taking over the lead of the Iron Throne is one of the most important plans of the Grey Clan.

Posted Image Where do the bandits get their supplies and weapons from?

Posted Image I assume that they get their weapons and other supplies from the Zhentarim itself. Otherwise the Clan could not have grown to its current size. We have no evidence that would prove this, though.

Posted Image Who is the leader of the Clan?

Posted Image It's a shame, but I cannot answer your question, because I do not know the answer. *sigh*

Posted Image Who was this Gartuffe?

Posted Image Gartuffe, whom you saw dying, was the elder brother of Tazok, the half-ogre chieftain. Gatuffe had chosen other ways than his brother, achieving a high position in the Clan thanks to his cunning, strength and cruelty. I was pleased to hear the news of his death.

Posted Image Who is the Greatest of Dreadlords?

Posted Image Why are you asking that? Where did you hear that? Speak, child!

Posted Image I have seen three knights of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart. They encountered two bandits, who decided to lure the paladins to the gate. They probably hoped that the Gatekeeper Golems would slay them. But after they had taken a few steps, a black-robed man, apparently a necromancer, appeared from the bushes. The face of the bandits reflected mortal fear. One of them addressed the mage as "the Greatest of Dreadlords." The knights looked excited, their leader sentenced the mage to death, and then they attacked him. Something horrible happened: the necromancer turned them to skeletons only by saying three or four words!

Posted Image If this has any relation with the Clan, we're in big trouble. And there are no accidents. The presence of the Knights of the Order indicates that something very evil is afoot... more evil than bandits. The fact of that mage's appearance is even more terrible. I know of only one person who is able to release such dark magic with so few words: Xephistagoras.

Posted Image Who is Xephistagoras? What relationship might he have with the Clan?

Posted Image I have heard very dark stories about the past of that mage. Long ago, these stories existed in written form, but they were so horrible that the pages of these books couldn't bear the weight of the text, and crumbled to dust. No, it's neither the good time nor the good place for me to tell about the Greatest of Dreadlords, child. I can't answer your second question either. It's a shame that a wizard like myself couldn't detect the real connections of the Clan. I thought I was a good diviner as well, but the power of the evil seems to be bigger than we've ever estimated.

And with that, the conversation is apparently over, because Tergius says nothing more to me. So I lead the Golden Company south, to complete the circuit around the Friendly Arm Inn.

We find two almost dead bandits. We finish the job.

Posted Image

Then we finally make it to the front gate and decide to rush it.

Posted Image

There are more Grey Clan half-ogres inside.