Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Yes, 1, E

#905 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

YES, 6, E
« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#906 Fred The Archer

Fred The Archer
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Yes, 1, F

Edited by Fred The Archer, 06 November 2012 - 12:57 AM.

#907 -Benjamin-

-Benjamin-

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Yes, 1, E

#908 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yes, 2 B
(Imoen's useless, Jaheria's annoying, and (E) the bouncing NEVER gets old :Tasty: )

#909 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Ok, busy new job, girls want stuff, blah blah blah it looks like there are some very clear voting trends:
Use a thief?

YES 			.........................................................
NO				

Which?

1. Imoen		............................................
2. Mur'Neth		..
3. Coran		....
4. Tiax			...
5. Skeezer		.
6. Safana		...

Replace who?

A. Indira		
B. Jaheira		.....................
C. Yeslick		..
E. Seafoam		..............................
F. Edwin		....

So despite a solid minority hate-on for Jaheira, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce gets kicked to the curb for the duration of this heist.

So now that it looks like we are going to replace Seafom the question remains: where to put her?

Yes, that is definitely the question. We don't want to cause a riot!

Yes. Tag in Imoen because she's our bro and she'd never forgive us if we went on a heist and didn't bring her. Tag out Jaheira because you know for a fact all she'll do is glower at us and bitch the entire time. Meh meh meh, my name is Jaheira, I think civilization is dumb but also I care about property laws, I complain just for the sake of complaining.

Jaheira will always show that the best way to maintain neutrality in any given situation is to nag everyone to death. Your annoying aunt? TRUE NEUTRAL. Overprotective mother? TRUE NEUTRAL. Even the most lawful good of lawful good paladins can't be all that good when they've got secret fantasies of killing little old ladies in their hearts. And the most chaotic evil of chaotic evil masterminds gets distracted by petty revenge just as effectively as a child gets distracted by shiny objects.

When Tiax rules, all you Imoen lovers will the first against the wall!

I wholeheartedly support Tiax for this role, and demand on the behalf of my overlord that you remove the whiny tree hugging hippie.

Remember: A vote for Tiax is a vote to survive in his coming empire.

When TIAX rules it shall be your job to whip the faithless!

I do hope we get to see more of the lower-level characters. They are all entertaining. Remember how fast Jaheira became viable? We could do that with everyone!

Also I'm curious if Core/SCS challenge you enough to balance out the obscenely powerful stuff you seem to get now and then. I'd guess so since if the modders can't balance items they probably make their pet encounters a tad OP as well.

I have to say that I've been constantly challenged during my playthrough. The first time things felt easy was when I went on a solo rampage through the Section One base, and even then I got slaughtered once and had to reload. And I emptied all my spells and used all my abilities and stretched myself to the limit. I'd have to say that, at least in the BG1 portion of the game, the modders have maintained balance by creating ridiculously hard challenges to go along with the ridiculously awesome loot.

While I have your attention, gender-changing back due to the friendship mod hacking in the interactions as a spell is BULLSHIT and I demand a retcon.

The Weave wheels as the Weave wills. And if you say that 10 times fast maybe something good will happen (15% chance modified by local barometric pressure and whether or not its a leap Tuesday). Besides, I love getting people emotionally invested in Syvishtara's misfortunes.

I'm going to start on a new update now so expect it in a few hours!
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#910 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image

22 Mirtul, 1370

Imoen's going to LOVE this surprise! But first I have to take care of something.

Posted Image

Posted Image You have to wait here. There is no room for you right now.

Posted Image

I really hope she's okay. I tell her to just stay out of sight and everything will be fine. Cautiously, we go downstairs.

Posted Image

Posted Image Sorry to have kept you waiting. Lets get going.

Posted Image You bet! We'll nick ourselves a whole purse o' fun before the night is through!

Then of course we teleport to the Armory to suit her up.

Posted Image

She also looks great in gold!

Posted Image

Then, prepped and ready, we set off on the great Gate caper!

Posted Image

The city looks almost magical at night.

Posted Image

With a twinkle in my eye, I tell Imoen to follow me. But I don't tell her where we're going.

Posted Image

When we slip through the back door and into the common room of the thieves' guild, though, her eyes light up and she can't stop smiling. I take her around and introduce her to the boys, and eventually we get to Narlen Darkwalk. He notices her!

Posted Image

Posted Image Aye, ye natty clapperdogeon. I be here at Alatos' call, but I no be here for cloyin' babycandy. Speak yer cause with good cog.

Uh... wha?

Posted Image The cant ye speak, and done so well! Ye be in the brethren yet, by Mask! I let ye in on the score, and a ripe sight she be. Our first mark be the house De'Mallonblade, off the Splurging Sturgeon. Poor nobles by appearance, they be adept in small smuggling, and I hear tell of a payment to be received. Gold to split but three sides, 'tween me, Rededge here, and you. 'Tis a right simple bit o' skullduggery this first night, and we but need yer nighteye to spy the lane. Up fer the task?

Posted Image A better way to drop the night I'll not think in this life, me fellows! Where do we link a'fore the deed?

Posted Image There's the larcenous fire burnin'! We meet at dusk astride the Sturgeon, and bring only yerself in darks. Yer group will naught but get the watch nervous.

Gameplay note: Clapperdudgeon is a real word. This makes me VERY happy.

I look at Imoen in a dazed silence. What language was she speaking? She flashes an impish grin and takes charge of the party. She insists that we follow her just within sight, and no closer. She needs a little time and space to make this work. Jaheira and I start to speak up but she silences us with a finger. "No closer!" she insists. After we all shut up and nod our grave assent, she asks, "Now where is the Splurging Sturgeon?"

Uh... good question. So much for exploring this city cautiously. We leave the thieves' guild and decide to head in a random direction - north.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just up the street we are stopped by a pair of hooded ... people.

Posted Image

Posted Image What is it?

Posted Image First, let me introduce the two of us; I'm Marek and this is my companion, Lothander. I thought it would be nice for you to know our names, 'cause if you don't take our advice you'll be seeing more of us two. I know that you've been taking an active interest in destroying the Iron Throne; don't try to deny it. My companion and I are in the employ of theaformentioned Throne. We thought it would be polite to give you one last warning: stop interfering with our employer's business. You can decide to disregard this warning, but if you do, it'll be the last decision you ever make. See ya later.

Doesn't this guy know what I am?

Posted Image Make all the threats you want. We aren't the ones with one foot in the grave. It's anybody stupid enough to get in our way who will pay the piper.

But he doesn't even respond to that... they both just walk away.

Posted Image

We take a quick look around, but there are no Inns up here. There isn't much of anything but personal houses actually.

Posted Image

Imoen says we'll come back later. Why? But she just rushes off and motions us to follow. We go back south, past he Elfsong again, and then westish.

Posted Image

We start looking around more for any signs of an Inn, when we are stopped again. This time the hooded figure knows my name.

Posted Image

Posted Image You? Didn't I kill you back at your headquarters?

Posted Image We were badly injured and near death but thanks to Sir Walter, we were healed by Priest Berkof.

Posted Image So what is this message of yours?

Posted Image I would like to thank you for destroying Section and freeing us. But your task is incomplete if your eally wish to end the entire organization. We can help you if you wish it.

Posted Image Why would you wish to help us?

Posted Image As I have said you freed us from their oppression and another reason is because they have lost their way. You see they were not always like this. In the beginning they were a force for good and righ, but somehow they became corrupt and evil. That evil is at Oversight, and I am afraid they must all be taken out of play.

I... I did something good? My orgy of fiery vengeance was... right?

Posted Image So you wish us to destroy this evil? Very well, I accept your offer.

Posted Image Excellent. I was hoping you would say yes. This greater evil must be destroyed. They are located in the southeast location of this area in a three story building. Here you will need this scrll to get past the guards. Do not lose it. We thank you again and wish you the best of luck in your success.

And as I walk away, I notice the other part of the "we" in her conversation is Michael.
Posted Image

I guess I have to scratch two names out of my Chapter of the Dead. I guess... I guess that's good, right? I take a look at the scroll Nikita gave me then. It is cryptic.

Posted Image

We'll have to take care of this later, though. It is already 1am! The top of this immense staircase that leads through the inner walls is quite beautiful at night.

Posted Image

Posted Image Y'know, I really like the city. Too bad about the smell, though.

I have to agree with the lady. This place stinks. But Imoen is rushing us through the gate and back east. We soon learn the difference between Beregost and the big city. People just do not go to sleep around here.

Posted Image

Posted Image What is it that you want us to do?

Posted Image Well it sounds silly if I may say so, but I forgot my wedding anniversary. My wife will have my head if I do not get her something decent. If you could get me a nice large diamond I would be most grateful. Then I could put the diamond in an old necklace that used to be her grandmother's. Her grandmother lost the original diamond many years ago. If I restored this necklace, my wife would be most joyful. Can you help me out?

Posted Image How much are we going to be paid to do you this service?

Posted Image You will be paid 1500 gold for this service. This is a kingly sum, so I won't barter with you about the amount.

Posted Image Where would we get a diamond from?

Posted Image Well there is a jeweler in Baldur's Gate named Quincy. He would have a diamond I am sure. I would purchase it myself but he happens to be my brother-in-law so my wife would find out about this. He is usually found in one of the inns in this part of the city.

Okay, okay, but later man! We have to hurry on after Imoen who is beginning to leave us behind. She seems to have some instinct on where to go. She takes us through some sort of carnival in the center of the city and north, towards a huge palace. But, once again, we are interrupted.

Posted Image

Posted Image Breaking a mirror... That's seven years bad luck, plus ten for the metal...

Posted Image An extra ten? For metal? Why, this entire region will be cursed for generation!

I'd believe it.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#911 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

But then we continue to rush through the streets after Imoen. She calls out "tavern!"

Posted Image

But it is the Blushing Mermaid, not the Splurging Sturgeon. We also find a shrine to Ilmater.

Posted Image

Finally, near the wall, hidden almost in the corner, we find a tiny little sign saying Splurging Sturgeon.

Posted Image

Imoen shoos us all away and we to stand in the crossroads near the Blushing Mermaid. Then she approaches Narlen Darkwalk alone.

Posted Image

Imoen follows Narlen to the house and he disappears inside. She waits outside for a while, I can see, and then a Flaming Fist Mercenary approaches her.

Posted Image

Posted Image 'Ere boys! The jig is up! Make fer the dark!

Posted Image What?! Stand your ground you thief! To arm! To arms!

Uh oh. I heard that.

Posted Image

Imoen comes tearing around the corner and yells at us to follow. I kinda feel like just killing the guy chasing her, but she seems to know exactly what I'm thinking and shouts "NO!" Okay, fine. We run.

Posted Image

Imoen seems worried on the run back to the thieves' guild. But when we get there her worries go unrealized, since Narlen seems happy to see her again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Exciting work like none other! I'm raring for another grasp at careless gold!

Posted Image 'Tis so for me an Rededge. The mark tonight is a ripe plum for plucking, and a mite more dangerous. No petty gold, cause you passed that intro. Thi dark holds a jewel fence, with pretties brought stolen from Waterdeep. A mage of meager power called for a component gem called a rogue stone, and Gantolandon answered. His home be our target, but he be a side more cagey than last. We join at dusk by the Blade and Stars to sort the deed.

Imoen comes back and proudly displays the 100 gold she's earned. She looks like the cat that got the cream! There's no way I can deny my apprentice this fun. This time we ask around for the location of the Blade and Stars and find out that it is just south of here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This time Imoen won't even let us follow her. She tells us that we'll embarrass her. So we just wait as far away as we can and watch her approach the Blade and Stars alone.

Posted Image

Imoen follows him southeast to a rather large house, then picks the lock on the door and goes inside.

Posted Image

Imoen casts Invisibility and follows him in. That's ma girl!

Posted Image

Inside she sees three likely areas for loot.

Posted Image

But she just gets two books and a handful of gold (23). Second floor it is.

On the second floor in the nightstand she finds the rogue stone! But she's too eager and doesn't check for traps. One springs on her.

Posted Image

And then Gantolandan stirs in his sleep.

Posted Image

Posted Image Zzz*cough* wha... who's... who's there?

Posted Image Meow-w-w.

Posted Image Grrmble... blasted cat. Hrmph... snork... zzzzzz.

She grabs the books from the bookshelves and takes off. It's actually really cute how Imoen always looks out for Finch these days. Back on the street, she tries to play it cool, be natural, which for Imoen means striking up conversations with strangers on the street.

Posted Image

Posted Image Please do. Such a tale would be well worth the price of admission.

Posted Image Ah, yes, the city as we know it today falls in the shape of a plump and crescent moon. Its many wharves and docks jut out along its western point where the River Chionthar flows into the starry Sea of Swords. A bridge from this western shore links the mainland with a rocky islet on which perches the old, massive Seatower of Balduran. It is there that the true tale begins. Do you wish me to continue?

Posted Image Yes, please.

Posted Image Balduran was a well-known and good-natured pirate who sailed the Sea of Swords in times gone by. He built the Seatower that bears his name to guide him to his home port and provide warning of invasion to his kin and clan that made their home along the northern riverbank. In time, a vibrant group of traders and fellow sea captains gathered there and built the city's inner wall to protect their wares and belongings from the ever-present danger of rival pirates or orcish raids... You look distracted. Do you still wish me to continue?

Posted Image Certainly! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted Image Balduran was away from port during the time in which the decision to build the wall was made, and when he returned, he learned that many of his kin and clan now lay outside the new wall and vulnerable to any attack made upon the settlement! As the orcs advanced upon the city in the early sumer, it erupted into a state of civil chaos. It was at this point that Balduran's sails were spotted upon the horizon, returning home to port... Ahem, are you still with me?

Posted Image Yes I am, right at your side, wide awake, sir!

Posted Image In a rage, Balduran slew the entire Council of captains and merchants for such arrogance and selfishness. He spared only the four who had spoken out against the Council's decision. Together, they ordered the immediate construction of the city's outer wall and bridge gate, from which Baldur's Gate gets its name. Facing a united city and a stout defense, the orcs were defeated and, for their valor, Balduran appointed the four captains as Dukes of the city... Well, that's Baldur's Gate in a nutshell. I'm quite impressed with your perseverence.

Posted Image Tell me more! I want to know everything about this city!

Posted Image Well, there's really not that much more to tell... Balduran eventually died (apparently lost at sea) and the four Dukes passed on their titles in a hereditary fashion for many years. Now, of course, Dukes are elected to office, although they keep the title until their death. They have grown softer and more tolerant over the years, however, and I think many people would like to see someone with a more extravagant, forceful approach ascend to the position. But that is the future, not the past, and who knows what it shall hold.

Posted Image Moooorrre! Must tell me moooorrrrrrre! I want to know eeeeverythingggg! Mwah hah hah haaaa....

Posted Image Okay, you are getting really creepy... Get away from me! Shoo!

We go back to the thieves' guild, where Narlen is once again happy to see Imoen.

Posted Image

Suck the monkey? Dare I ask? Narlen takes the rogue stone from Imoen and gives her three pearls in return. Great! Imoen also explains that she's now part of the thieves' guild! Awesome! I don't know where that came in during the conversation but hey good for her!

Imoen is on a roll, and isn't going to stop now that she's an actual member of the Baldur's Gate thieves' guild. She yells at us "Come on! Yer all buffle-headed!" and takes off once again. We catch up with her when she's picking the lock of the nearest door. Great.

Posted Image

We hear a commotion from inside and guards rushing into the door. What are we supposed to do? I don't want to slaughter guards on the streets o the city!

Posted Image

Imoen just goes invisible, though, and they don't know what to do.

Posted Image

She comes running out and whispers to us to get moving. We move on to the next locked door in the southern part of this area.

Posted Image

There's a little, but not much, upstairs.

Posted Image

Downstairs, though, is a creepy-looking mage. Imoen decides to talk to him.

Posted Image

She smiles, nods, and backs away. Outside she tells us what he said. A body!? What the hell! I tell her the next house she goes in, we're going in with her. No way I'm leaving her alone with creepy guys.

So the next house she picks, we do all go in together.

Posted Image

But the family is already awake.

Posted Image

Turns out a pretty big, happy family lives here.

Posted Image

Imoen says we should just go. She doesn't want to rip these people off I guess. We head north to the next area, so that Imoen can fleece those houses before sunrise. We start with the very large house built against the outer wall.

Posted Image

#912 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

But just because the door's locked doesn't mean nobody's home.

Posted Image

Uh oh! He does indeed have blink dogs, and they teleport in!

Posted Image

The blink dogs really seem to like Edwin.

Posted Image

I try to cast a low-level spell to help with keeping track of these blink dogs, but things get a little out of hand...

Posted Image

I kinda lose track of what's going on due to my overwhelmingly powerful sense of fear.

Posted Image

Edwin seems to have kept his head, and chases Jacil around casting Magic Missiles at him.

Posted Image

Yeslick also seems to have a handle on his emotions and kills a few blink dogs.

Posted Image

Yeslick is the one to finally murder Jacil.

Posted Image

And by the time the rest of us stop running around like idiots, Imoen kills the last blink dog.

Posted Image

We find a few gems, a necklace, a few hundred gold, and a lot of books. Upstairs is another story. Upstairs we find spell scrolls.

Posted Image

Edwin learns one Chaos, and the other is saved for later. The two Protection from Electricity scrolls are divine, so Jaheira takes them. We also find another few hundred gold and a couple of potions of fire resistance.

When we get out of the Counting House, it is day. But we still keep on going.

Posted Image

The next door over, though, is some kind of shop.

Posted Image

It is all normal weapons and armor. Useless. There is one more door in this corner of the city...

Posted Image

But Jaheira chooses to take this time to talk about something that, uh, might be better in private.

Posted Image

Posted Image Heh, he often talked to me of how I wasn't cleanin' good enough, and how I will never find myself a good husbad if I keep climbing on fences and erm... borrowing things...

Posted Image Yes, those are useful instructions, but I meant other sorts of things. You're of age now, and I think it is my duty to forewarn you.

Posted Image Forewarn me of what?

Posted Image There are a few herbs that a grown up woman should know how to prepare properly, when she starts taking interest in comely lads. First there is tansy...

Posted Image Cookin' bores me, Jaheira. I don't need to-

Posted Image We're not talking about *cooking*, Imoen!

Posted Image Oh, *what* are we talkin' 'about then?

Posted Image Eh, maybe this talk can wait for a while longer.

A little annoyed with Jaheira's inappropriate sense of timing, I push past her into the house. Unfortunately the first level is completely devoid of valuables to steal!

Posted Image

The second floor too!

Posted Image

Completely a waste of time. Imoen seems put out. This whole corner of town just seems like a complete drag.

Posted Image

We go back to more promising areas.

Posted Image

It is 8 in the morning now, and I kinda have a little talk with Imoen. Thieving is all well and good, but I want to restrict it to the nighttime. We can do more later. Now I just want to explore this city thoroughly and become acquainted with it. Tomorrow night we can steal more stuff. Reluctantly, she lets me take charge of the group again.

So we take a look around this southeastern section of the city. And hey, there's nothing to stop us from walking in unlocked doors and saying hi to the neighbors!

Posted Image

Inside I see a beautiful mageling named Nemphre. She immediately catches my eye and lights up.

Posted Image

OH hey! We know that guy! He's the creep that wanted us to get him some dead bodies. Maybe Imoen can pickpocket the amulet from him. Let's go try!

As soon as we get out of the house, Imoen asks me what a ring is that she found. Turns out that it is another Ring of Nimbleness. Cool. We head off to Arkion's house. The guy really creeps me out.

Posted Image

When we get in there we try to engage him in small talk about dead bodies. Imoen roots around in his pockets.

Posted Image

She pulls out an extremely long sword.

Posted Image

She tries again to find his amulet, but isn't so successful this time.

Posted Image

Posted Image [Lore] - On the contrary. I was fascinated by this trinket which fell out of your pocket and merely wanted to examine it up close before returning it to you.

Posted Image Hmm... I will let you off with a warning, this time.

Posted Image However, know that you will be watched much more carefully from now on!

Imoen still tries again, though, because we do need that amulet.

Posted Image

Posted Image [Intelligence] - I resent those baseless accusations. I will nowhere near you when the event occurred and I can summon several witnesses who will gladly confirm that.

Posted Image Bah! I will indulge you once more, but you better not try that again!

Indira tries to talk to him to get him back on track.

Posted Image

Imoen drinks a Potion of Master Thievery and tries just one more time to pickpocket.

Posted Image

Posted Image (Attempt to run away)

Posted Image Run all you want, thief! This brazen robbery attempt will be reported!

Gameplay note: Apparently that means our reputation goes down 2 points! We are now down to 8, Disliked.[i]

Posted Image

Posted Image I just can't understand why you're doing this. It's not right.

Hmmm. I tell everybody to go outside and wait for me. I tell them I need to talk to Arkion alone.

#913 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Then... I do what must be done.

Posted Image

Um... okay, that works. I order the efreeti to attack Arkion.

Posted Image

But apparently Arkion is no two-big mageling. He actualy scares the efreeti away!

Posted Image

The efreeti at first runs, but then I guess responds with pure instinct. It casts Fireball at Arkion.

Posted Image

My next spell is actually two spells - True Sight and Summon Beholder. I didn't even know Summon Beholder existed!?

Posted Image

The gauth's eye-rays slice through Arkion's defenses and pound him to death, while the efreeti calls for backup.

Posted Image

Wow, that was certainly overkill. I should watch myself.

Posted Image

I walk out and tell everyone that I persuaded Arkion to give me the amulet. Let's move. They do.

Nemphre is happy to see me.

Posted Image

Posted Image I shall not leave without teaching you two lessons: firstly, do not hire a Red Wizard of Thay for such petty tasks; and secondly - if you made the huge mistake of doing so, you should never call him a fool afterwards.

Posted Image Aiyee!

I brace for a fight, but Edwin just... blinds the woman.

Posted Image

I shrug and walk away. The scroll she gave us is Vampiric Touch. Kinda weak, all in all. We walk out to have a look around the area. I never like walking around in a fog, so we take some time to pace the streets and explore everything. While we're walking...

Posted Image

Posted Image I'm perfectly fine. *Edwin scowls at Imoen as a bead of sweat runs slowly down Edwin's forehead.*

Posted Image See? You're sweating. You can't deny you're not all toasted inside those robes. *sniffs the air* Yep. Definitely, very warm!

Posted Image I might be sweating, yes, and you do have an amazing grasp of the obvious - but it is not from heat. It's from concentrating on not turning you into a nice piece of charcoal. (I would do it, too, but it's too damn hot already without casting another fireball.)

I roll my eyes and just keep walking. I think Imoen might be a more powerful mage than Edwin now.

A little girl brightens my day.

Posted Image

You're damn right it is! Later on I see some mine cart tracks next to the wharf. Interesting!

Posted Image

We walk around the whole area and get a good feel for this place too.

Posted Image

Then we go back to the northern street and check out the house next to Blind Nemphre's.

Posted Image

It also turns out to be some kind of shop.

Posted Image

He has a ton of potions, elixirs, oils, and other bottled goods. Great to know! If we ever want to buy anything like a.... ooh, a Potion of Insight! I snap it up.

We go back outside and begin to take a look at the central block of houses.

Posted Image

It isn't locked, so we just walk right on in.

Posted Image

Imoen pipes up immediately.

Posted Image You've got us pegged wrong, we're thieves like you.

Posted Image You're thieves? I don't remember ever seeing you at the guild. If you're thieves, then you'd probably remember the password to the main door. Well! What's the password?

Posted Image Fafhrd?

Posted Image Okay, you got it right. Well, this was certainly the mix up. Go crazy in here, but I think we've already got most of the good stuff.

Imoen bustles about, but it's true. The only thing she finds is a book on the History of Waterdeep. isn't Finch from there?

So we try the next tall house.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We only get 5 gold out of that one. We talk to a few people out on the street.

Posted Image

Then we decide to check out the big corner building.

Posted Image

Turns out that its some sort of Inn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nothing here but general gossip about the iron shortage. Upstairs is pretty extensive and includes a sad lady.

Posted Image

Posted Image Why are you saddened, M'lady?

Posted Image I fear the worst for my brother and cousin. They have been missing some months now, and I know of no one that can find them.

Posted Image Your brother and cousin? Perhaps if I knew their names I could help you.

Posted Image I thank you. Whatever you can do, I would appreciate. Their names are Shank and Carbos. Not the brightest of boys, but pure of heart. They may have fallen in with a bad lot, but I know they would never do anything wrong.

Posted Image I can keep an eye out, though the Sword Coast is a large place.

Posted Image Large it is, but they are rather loud and do not hide easily. People are seeking the bandits left and right, so someone is sure to have seen them.

Posted Image Why would they have been seen with bandits? You said they were honest and good.

Posted Image They have criminal friends... they met up with the wrong sort of people... they... alright ALRIGHT! They are right bastards and they owe me gold! If you see them, give 'em a smack for me!

The rest of the place is empty. We go back out and head towards the docks. There is a general store there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This turns out to be another potion store with another Potion of Insight. I buy that one as well.

Then, across the street, we see what is some kind of warehouse.

Posted Image

In fact it seems to be quite a well-populated warehouse. Someone sees Imoen poking around too!

Posted Image

We see the guard coming and try to make a getaway.

Posted Image

We manage to run around the boxes in the center of the room and make good our escape!

Posted Image

The next house along the docks is locked, but Imoen picks it before I can even object.

Posted Image

It seems to be a good family's home.

Posted Image

We say a few nice platitudes and move on. The last location we have here is the Blade and Stars tavern. Time to check it out!

Posted Image

#914 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

The front room is quite small.

Posted Image

There are some interesting rumors here. It is mostly about Amn, but there's more.

Posted Image I heard that the Merchants' League is having a lot of trouble. Seems that the three owners are squabbling about how to run the place. The Iron Throne's been taking advantage of that situation. If things continue as they are, the Throne soon won't have any competition.

There are also some interesting people hanging about.

Posted Image

Ooh, actually, I have one right here!

Posted Image The Sphene Gem! Indeed, then... you are more than you appear. Someday, you must journey further through the muck and mire of this place for it will tell you as much or more than all of fabled Candlekeep... Like yourself, this city is more than it appears. There are cities below cities, dreams beneath dreams, the past laying buried beneath the crushing weight of the present... Go now, wanderer, for the time will come when you must walk through the darkness to find the light.

But he is not the only cryptic one in this common room.

Posted Image

Posted Image Elnaedra? What happened to Shaella?

Posted Image Elnaedra knows not of whom you speak and you arebut strangers to her.

Posted Image Strangers? But Shaella, we spoke at length. Don't you remember?

Posted Image Walk well in the mists of Leira.

Some are cryptic for different reasons, though.

Posted Image

We go upstairs and see quite a gathering of interesting people.

Posted Image

Posted Image Fair enough. We will be around Baldur's Gate for a few days, but will check back in later.

Posted Image suit yourself.

Finally, there is a third floor to the Blade and Stars. One single man stays up here.

Posted Image

Posted Image What can you tell me of this city?

Posted Image The city? Why, the city is a fine place, quite expansive in its majesty and most comprehensive in its lay of the land. It's a wonder to behold, and once it's held you don't want to let go. Such grandeur and beauty contained within its plain and modest settings and citizens. It exudes a quiet nobility that practically screams from every rooftop. It is a wonder; it is simplicity. It is Baldur's Gate!

Posted Image I see. And what do you do? Are you an adventurer like myself?

Posted Image Adventuring! A fine and glorious pastime that passes time like no other! To seek the highs and lows of the depths and heights; to follow in the footsteps leading down paths never trod upon; to plumb the furthest reaches of oneself while exploring the very world just outside your door. Such a life is a grand one indeed, though simple in its complexity!

Posted Image Have you heard anything interesting lately? Any quests and such?

Posted Image Quests? Quests indeed! To seek that which is to be sought, and find what could be found by looking in the right spot, as long as they were left there in the first place. Discovering that which was known but forgotten, but then remembered and sought anew though old to begin with! Such pursuits are well worth following!

Posted Image Utterly amazing. You talked for hours and yet said absolutely nothing.

Posted Image Well... I suppose on some levels... what I said could be construed... as... as nothing.

Posted Image You have absolutely no valuable information at all, do you?

Posted Image If indeed you are asking whether my discourse has validity derived from dispensing useful tidbits of otherwise unknown strategem and statistics... then... ahh... no.

Posted Image I thought not.

Posted Image Alrighty then.

Posted Image Yep.

Posted Image I'll be off then.

Posted Image Indeed.

Posted Image Righty O.

There isn't even any loot up here. The man really took it out of me, though. I'm feeling the long night and the long morning in my bones. We need to get back to the Elfsong and rest up for tonight. We're going to have a lot of thieving to do.

Posted Image

#915 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

23 Mirtul, 1370

We wake up in the hour before midnight. Imoen is practically bouncing off the walls. She feels completely confident that we can do the job that Alatos gave us - the one about the skyship parts. She also feels confident in lifting the telescope for Brevlik too. I don't know about that, though, we'll have to see.

Posted Image

I haven't even seen most of the city during the daytime yet. We've been doing all our sneaking around at night. I'm about to ask Imoen where to go when she tells us. Turns out we went right by the Oberon Estate last night, and didn't even notice. Well, she did. So we follow her lead.

Posted Image

It boggles the mind that they have a carnival the size of Nashkel's INSIDE the city.

Posted Image

On our way through the carnival we are stopped by Marek's friend Lothander. Does he want to die? Although, he doesn't seem like he's being aggressive here...

Posted Image

Posted Image We'll give you a chance. Make it quick.

Posted Image My partner, Markel, has poisoned all of you. While you slept, he slipped a slow-acting magical poison into your rations. You have about 10 days to live. Common priest spells won't help you. Only one thing can, and that's the antidote. I can help you find it, if you help me first.

Posted Image Why don't we just kill you and take the antidote ourselves?

Posted Image Do you take me for an idiot? I don't have the antidote, I only know where it can be found.

Posted Image Okay, we'll help you.

Posted Image My problem is this: I don't work for the Iron Throne because I wish to, but rather because I have been forced. I have been enspelled with a geas. If I do not obey everything that Marek orders of me the spell will take effect and I shall waste away. I need a way to rid myself of the spell. I know of a Diviner at the market square who may have the answers I seek, but I don't have the money to pay him. Will you help me?

Posted Image We'll help you, take us to this Diviner.

Posted Image Step in here to the Diviner's tent.

Posted Image

I motion for the Golden Company to follow me closely. Our rations magically poisoned? Is that even possible? I remember what Edwin did to Dynaheir so long ago. Yes, yes it is possible.

Posted Image

But before we can even go into the tent we are accosted by yet another person looking to get something from us.

Posted Image

I'm about to pawn her off with a coin, when Imoen speaks up.

Posted Image Poor woman! What happened to you? You do not look like a beggar to me.

Posted Image Ha! Yes, you are right there.

Posted Image Take this gold coin.

Posted Image Thank you so much! Now that makes it three...

Posted Image If I ever get hold of that brat! First all those tricks, and then she develops magical powers all of a sudden and teleports me to Baldur's Gate! Once I have enough money, I will return to Luskan and get the whole family to court!

I'm sure that is a long and involved and quite honestly fascinating story, but I'm slowly dying over here! I quickly duck into the tent.

Posted Image

Posted Image Here's the money seer, but you better be for real.

Posted Image I am for real. Now what is it that you wish to know? I must tell you, I only have the strength to answer a single question in a day, so be careful in what you ask.

Oh, the things I could ask this man...

Posted Image

My mind is suddenly full of the possibilities. But I try to calm myself. Poison. I'm poisoned. We're all poisoned. Focus Syvishtar, focus!

Posted Image Who has the ability to release Lothander of his geas?

Posted Image Only the high priestess Jalatha Mistmyr of Umberlee has the power to remove Lothander's geas. She can be found at the Water Queen's house. It is difficult to see whether or not she will help you.

Posted Image I cannot answer any more questions. You must leave now.

I'm thinking that poison and death takes precedence over looting some house, and I tell Imoen that in no uncertain terms. She simply nods and waits for instructions. She has her priorities straight, most of the time. We go back out and tell Lothander what we have found.

Posted Image

Yep, we're on our way. We head straight there.

Posted Image

But of course I can't walk two steps in this city without someone accosting me.

Posted Image

A friend of Gorion's?!

Posted Image I am honored, Harper. You seem to be more knowledgeable of my situation than myself. Have you any advice regarding my coming tasks?

Posted Image Nay, the honor is mine, Syvishtar. You are a very special individual and, sadly, this has placed you in grave danger... I yearn to tell you more but I'm afraid I cannot for fear of endangering you further. Here in the city, if you wish to succeed against the Iron Throne, know that you can trust Scar and Duke Eltan, both of the Flaming Fist. They are good men and friends of ours. But I tarry too long when there are urgent matters to attend to elsewhere... We are well met, Syvishtar. Take care of Jaheira, for I bounced her on this very knee when she was yet a babe...

Posted Image *blush* Really, Entillis... did you have to mention that?

Posted Image Oh! Bwahahah! Please, could we have more embarrassing stories of Jaheira's past?

Posted Image Hmmm... as I mentioned, I am in quite a hurry, but since you seem so sincerely interested...

Posted Image Eh, sad as it is, we also have important business elsewhere... I am sorry, Entillis, but we really must move on. We will meet soon again, I hope.

Posted Image Yes, as much as I love these family reunions, we really have no time for this.

Then, even though I'm poisoned and slowly dying, I just can't help myself from talking to a gnome standing next to the end of the ramp.

Posted Image

Posted Image Hmmm... you look worried. Is there any way I can help you?

Posted Image Unless you can find a small gnome with an attitude problem the size of Waterdeep, you cannot help me.

Posted Image Ahhh. Perhaps we will speak again later. It should not be too hard to find a small one with a big attitude - they all seem to have large personalities.

Posted Image Yeah, yeah. We keep it in our noses. Move along.

Tiax! He's looking for Tiax, he must be! Or Quayle? No, no, Tiax. Probably. Or Quayle. Oooh, I wonder if he wants to kill both of them!

Edited by Usurper, 06 December 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#916 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Wait, focus. Focus. Poison and dying. Poison and dying. We make our way closer to the wharves and the Water Queen's House. But another person stands in our way. Don't these people ever GO TO SLEEP?!

Posted Image

Posted Image What do you do here?

Posted Image Aye, I be the Duke's own dockhand, if you will... Well, alright, I'm just a dockhand like any other but I've been aboard the royal galleys to unload wares from the New World.

Posted Image A New World? Is there some sort of dimensional portal in the middle of the sea through which you pass to get there?

Posted Image 'Tis better yet! They say now that the world is no longer flat, that it has become round, a perfect sphere wrapped 'round itself like a wizard's crystal. We perch atop its upright half and the New World of Maztica clings to its underside like so many bats! Someday I shall sneak about one of these ships that I might see such wonders!

Posted Image That's incredible! I wonder what magic they must use to keep from falling into the sky? Perhaps they are all powerful sorcerers, like in the time of Old Netheril.

Posted Image A new world?! Wow! That sounds so exciting! I'd like to go there someday!

Posted Image Well, if what he says is true, perhaps someday we will set foot on it. I'd like to, as well.

Posted Image That's the spirit! No place is too remote! No place too unknown! No place too dangerous for us!

Posted Image Well, as long as there's a place where a girl can freshen up from time to time at least.

Posted Image Anyway...

Posted Image I'd really like to see what could be on an unexplored area of this world! Maybe they have a race of humans with pink hair! Wouldn't that be the greatest!?

Posted Image Hurrah to your New World, then, Kerrachus, whatever shape it takes. Alas, I cannot tarry here. Perhaps we'll talk another day.

Posted Image If I haven't stowed myself away in the hold of one of these ships in your absence, that is.

I'll never see any world again if I don't get this poison taken care of, though.

Posted Image Must you crowd so close? 'Tis bad enough I must walk with you chimps.

We keep looking, and eventually we find it. The Water Queen's House.

Posted Image

On the docks right next to the entrance we find some magical gauntlets just sitting in an open chest!

Posted Image

They are the Gauntlets of Parrying. Great!

Posted Image

Then we finally go inside.

Posted Image

I have to stifle a flippant retort. I'm dying here.

Posted Image We wish to speak with high priestess Jalantha Mistmyr.

Posted Image The High Priestess does not have time to see commoners, why should I allow you to waste her time?

Posted Image Would a donation of 50 gold allow us entry?

Posted Image That offer is adequate. Wait here and I will return with the High Priestess.

Temples. Always the same. A moment passes and Jalantha Mistmyr shows up.

Posted Image

Posted Image We want you to remove a geas spell from a companion of ours. We will pay any price.

Posted Image My Goddess cannot be bought with gold. If you wish to see your friend healed, you will first have to do a favor for Umberlee.

Posted Image The favor I ask of you is a simple one. The holy day Storm Call approaches. It will be the first time I have overseen this ceremony. To insure that my first ceremony is flawless I need an item of power. It is called the Book of Wisdom, and is possessed by the clergy of Tymora at the Temple of Tymora, called the Lady's Hall by those who venerate the frivolous goddess. If you can get this book for me, I will do what you ask. What is your decision?

Posted Image It looks as if we have no other choice, we're in.

Posted Image I don't care how you get the book. Once you have it, come to the temple and meet with me.

Great. So we have to steal a Book of Wisdom from the Tymorans so we can give it to Jalantha Mistmyr so that we can lift the geas from the assassin Lothander so that he will give us the antidote so that we don't die so that we can continue to steal the skyship parts from the Oberon Estate and the telescope from the Hall of Wonders. And I was worried we'd be drawn into an inescapable life of crime by joining the Thieves' Guild!

Posted Image

I'd really like to explore this city at a leisurely pace some day, instead of constantly running around in fear for my life. Now where the heck is the Temple of Tymora so that I can steal from a bunch of priests?

Posted Image

Maybe over here...

Posted Image

Oh, hey! Flaming Fist headquarters! They actually have a flaming fist on their banners, heh.

Posted Image

Posted Image This city is a blight on the landscape. Better to have let the land grow wild.

Really Jaheira? Really?

The Seven Suns compound. I'm supposed to investigate these guys. I'll do it when I'm not slowly dying of poison.

Posted Image

Doesn't look like any temples to Tymora are here.

Posted Image

Next stop - north!

Posted Image

Unfortunately there isn't much north to go to from here. We are blocked by the huge wall to the inner city.

Posted Image

We will have to go around east, then through the gate, and then north again. This place is freakin' confusing! But before we leave, Imoen says to hold on.

Posted Image

I knew it. She wants to rob the place blind so we don't have to come back later to do it. She obviously doesn't care THAT much about the poison coursing through our veins. And of course she wouldn't be Imoen if she didn't strike up conversations with people in their own homes about their problems.

Posted Image

Trying to make our way through the labyrinthine streets to get to the next city zone, we are stopped by one more busybody with a problem he can't solve.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, that would be us.

Posted Image Then, do you not admit to have killed a small group of hunters along the edge of Cloakwood?

Shit.

Posted Image Ahhh, no, we didn't do any such thing.

Posted Image I grow tired of your falsehoods.

Welp.

Posted Image

I hope nobody saw that. He carried a Heavy Crossbow +1. I pick it up and we all quickly move west to what looks like a beautiful park area.

Posted Image

Turns out it is! It includes a wonderful fountain.

Posted Image

And awesome white columns glowing in the torchlight!

Posted Image

On the other side of the columnar building is some guy's home.

Posted Image

Whoever Ragefast is, he has a wonderful view. I'm rather jealous.

#917 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

We continue to walk down the street and it isn't until we are halfway down it that we finally figure out what the huge building is. It is the Hall of Wonders!

Posted Image

Ooooh, if we weren't poisoned I'd be all over this place. Well, Imoen would be. But as we are poisoned and all but dead already, we can't stop to spare time for... oh my god what is it now?

Posted Image

Posted Image How exactly does one become an ex-merchant?

Posted Image Well, you start by becoming a merchant. Then you become a gambler. Then you bet your business on a game of dice. Then you lose. Voila, an ex-merchant. Next question?

Posted Image Could you tell me where the good stores are in town?

Posted Image There are no good shops in this city. Nope. None. Don't even think about it. Especially the ones run by the Seven Suns or the Merchants' Consortium.

Posted Image What's wrong with the Seven Suns and the Merchants' Consortium?

Posted Image I used to gamble with those fellows but something's not right. I'm in debt to them up to my ears but nothin's happening. No big guys with clubs knocking on my door in the middle of the night, no poison in my ale, nothing. It's like they've forgotten the whole thing. I saw my old buddy Al in the street the other day, looked him right in the eye, and he didn't even cuff me about the ears. Just started looking real nervous like he had forgotten his best friend's name at a party or something. Strange, I tell you.

Hmmm, weird. Are all the merchants in this city going mad or something? That's one piece of information to jot down in my journal for WHEN I'M NOT DYING.

I can barely make it two blocks before another kid stops me in my tracks.

Posted Image

Posted Image My name is Varci, and I have heard you sometimes help those in need, f-for a fee of course. Please, would you meet with my guardian at his house? My guardian will reveal the nature of the job once we arrive. Please, it's a matter of death or life.

Oh great. My one weakness - a kid in danger. It wasn't so long ago that I was a kid in danger myself, and this one doesn't look like he has a nosy little Imoen to follow him around.

Posted Image Lead on, young one; I will follow.

Posted Image Oh, excellent! I may yet repair the damage I have caused. This way. I'll show you to the house where my master is staying.

Posted Image I'm glad ya agreed ta help him, Syvishtar. By Mask, I hoped enough times that someone'd bail *me* outta trouble when I was of an age with Varci!

Posted Image This way!

He shows us to a nearby house and opens the door for us, going inside.

Posted Image

We follow behind.

Posted Image

Posted Image Varci! Who have you brought here?! I told you I mus be alone with my thoughts!

Posted Image Your thoughts know as I do, and there be no denying it. We need outside help to fix what's done, and talk among the alleys say this group may be as effective as any we could hope for.

Posted Image You'll tell me later how you know in what alleys to learn such things. For now however, you are correct. We are in need of assistance and none in the clergy must know. Greetings to you all. I am Lord Priest Tremain Belde'ar, a humble servant of Our Smiling Lady Tymora. My request of you is an odd and very dangerous one. I will not hold you to it if you deem it too extreme. I would have you enter The Water Queen's House, and retrieve my son's body. He and Varci sought to indulge their restless nature by sneaking about the place, and a high price was paid.

Posted Image We thought it would be exciting, causing a little mischief amidst Umberlee's underlings, only it wasn't that much fun when we were caught. We both ran. I got away; Carson didn't. They... they killed him as we sought to escape.

Posted Image A harsh sentence for a simple prank, but trespassing on holy ground, whatever the faith, is not a small crime. You must bring his body to me, that I might restore his life to him. If you can retrieve him, I will reward you whether I am able to revive him or not. What say you?

Posted Image To help would mean to intrude on the cycle of nature, but... by Silvanus, this is the life of a child we are talking of! I would make an exception in this case, and, I am sure, nature will not protest.

Posted Image You are a man of some import. Why do you not organize your own temple brethren to aid you?

Posted Image An astute question. High Priest Chanthalas has deemed that Casson knowingly took a risk, and luck determined his fate. Since Tymora be the Lady of Luck, it is that fate we are officially to abide by. I, however, disagree. While Casson did dare and fail, I see no reason that I should not take the risk to rescue him. It makes no sense to me for Tymora to grant her servants resurrection powers, if to use them would anger her or interfere with the "fate" of another. So now I find I must move against the wishes of my church, but not the spirit of it. To me, it seems that they are more concerned about incurring the wrath of the Umberlants, than in following the spirit of adventure. You may anger her clergy by helping me, but I believe Tymora will smile on all of us.

Posted Image Luck or no, it would be a shame to lose your life because of the foolishness of youth. I'll help as best I can.

Posted Image There is hope for my son yet. I cannot tell you where in the Umberlant Temple Casson would be kept, but I would advise you to be careful. They seem a right unfriendly group, but once you get to know them they seem out-and-out heartless. Please hurry!

Gameplay note: If you ever wondered why I don't like Jaheira, here you go. She has reservations about resurrecting child murder victims.

Ok, note to self: Give Tome of Wisdom to the bitch queen's bitches BEFORE stealing the dead kid's body from them.

When we get out of Tremain's house, we continue to search for the Temple of Tymora. It wouldn't do to ASK him. Then he'd suspect us when the book went missing! Instead we just search. That is when we come across a strange sight - people fighting on the streets that aren't us!

Posted Image

And before we can do anything, one guy chunks the other.

Posted Image

I try to approach him to see what's going on, but he doesn't want to be bothered.

Posted Image

Posted Image Sorry for bothering you.

Posted Image No problem.

Okay then! No time to chat, too busy slaughtering folks in the streets. Actually I can understand where he's coming from...

Even though we look around some more, we find no Temple of Tymora here.

Posted Image

There is only one more place to look. We go north.

Posted Image

And as soon as we do, we are approached by another random stranger. Do these people belong to another culture or something, one that makes it okay to constantly accost well-armed strangers?

Posted Image

Posted Image Oh no! What do you think their decision will be?

Posted Image The Dukes are too set in their ways, too comfortable there. This is all just part of their cat and mouse game with Amn to negotiate a better deal on the iron trade... Still, the suggestion of war has only been that until now: a suggestion, not an eventuality brought to the table to be considered...

Uhh, thanks buddy? We start to take a look around. We find an Inn, still lively even at this late (or early) hour. It is the Helm and Cloak.

Posted Image

On the northwest wall we find a huge estate. It is of Entar Silvershield.

Posted Image

Kagain wouldn't like this place - isn't this the nobleman whose son he lost on the road? We'll have to pay a visit some time. Without Kagain.

Going down the street, we overhear some dwarf muttering to himself.

Posted Image

Interesting... We look around some more, but we don't find a Temple of Tymora here either. Hey, what gives? I guess we're going to have to go back to Tremain's house and ask him where it is.

Oh, except when we do go back to the area, we notice the building we missed before.

Posted Image

Heh. I'm smart. We go inside.

Posted Image

Posted Image We are in desperate need of a book known as the book of wisdom. Please, we will do anything if you'd only give it to us.

Posted Image The Book of Wisdom is a very holy book. Why should I give it to the likes of you?

Posted Image You must trust us. We'll die if we don't get this book. Please, you don't want our deaths on your conscience... do you?

Posted Image I cannot simply trust anyone who comes up to me with such stories. I apologize, but I cannot give you the book.

Gameplay note: If we had a higher reputation, he would have believed us. Hoist by our own bard-petard!

I am stymied as to what to do. Am I going to have to kill this priest? Bribe him? But we only have 2000 gold, what if that isn't... I hear a trademarked Imoen giggle.

Posted Image

I nod sagely, bow my head to the priest, and walk out. And as soon as we do get out, I envelop Imoen in a gigantic bear hug!

Posted Image

She's the best friend a guy could ever have. She's saved our life! I take a look at what she's pickpocketed.

Posted Image

#918 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

We rush straight back to the bitch queen's house - as straight at this city will let us go.

Posted Image

Posted Image Here you go, now give us the cure to the geas.

Posted Image Good. Take this; an incantation upon this scroll will dispel the geas upon your companion.

I turn to go, assuming my companions will come with me. But I hear a commotion behind me. Oh Imoen, Imoen, Imoen...

Posted Image

Posted Image [Lore] - On the contrary. I was fascinated by this trinket which fell out of your pocket and merely wanted to examine it up close before returning it to you.

Posted Image Hmm... I will let you off with a warning, this time.

Posted Image However, know that you will be watched much more carefully from now on!

Oh, that reminds me... I should ask her about the child's body!

Posted Image

Posted Image I wish nothing of you, save the body of the fool that tried to break into your hallowed halls. I imagine the return of such an infidel is ample return for my services.

Posted Image The bodies of infidels are priced highly in these troubled times. Give me 2,000 gold and the body is yours.

Posted Image 2,000 gold?! That's highway robbery!

She... she just tried to sell me the body of a dead child for 2,000 gold. This... this BITCH! I have no more need of this goddesses' servants.

Posted Image

And apparently my companions don't either.

Posted Image

I call upon the Weave for its judgment. I get two answers.

Posted Image

In an ironic twist that I personally savor, Jaheira Flamestrikes the bitch queen's servants to death.

Posted Image

And then as I try to finish off Jalantha Mistmyr, the Weave works itself through everything in the area and Chaos is unleashed.

Posted Image

Jaheira is ultimately the one to strike her down.

Posted Image

And while Indira held off an entire room full of priestesses on her own, Jaheira is the one to get the deathblow on them too.

Posted Image

For a supposedly neutral party, Jaheira the Harper sure did a number on these priestesses! I search the body of Jalantha. She has the kid's body on her person! What?! She also has a few gems, the Tome of Understanding of course, and also a Bowl of Water Elemental Control.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is the bowl that the child priestess of Umberlee was after way back in Chapter 3. If we wouldn't have killed her so hard she would have ended the fight and asked us to retrieve this bowl from the farmers who originally sent us after her. It being on the corpse of Jalantha Mistmyr heavily implies that she, High Priestess of Umberlee, slaughtered all of the farmers and recovered the bowl herself. So much for our quest completion! Anyways, we are 5 for 5 in killing priestesses of the bitch queen water queen, and I'm okay with that.

I gently hand the body of the child to Yeslick to carry. It is unsettlingly heavy.

Posted Image

Posted Image I don't like the way this group is turning out. Better leadership might help.

Oh come on Jaheira! You got the deathblow on all 4 of these priestesses! Don't pretend like you don't like it now.

Lothander said he'd meet us at the Blade and Stars after we got the geas removal scroll, so that's where we head. On the way I take a look at the scroll.

Posted Image

Huh. You'd think such powerful magic would be a bit more complicated. We rush by the docks on our way to the Blade and Stars in the southeast corner of the city.

Posted Image

I'm in a good mood, having almost taken care of my deadly poison and killed the minions of an evil god, so I don't mind the interruption.

Posted Image Any tales of the sea you'd like to share?

Posted Image Oh, the sea harbors more tales than you have days left to live, young one. Why, I could go on all night with stories of pirates that sail the Nelanther Isles, or strange merchants with goods that defy description. I wager I know what tale you would be keen on hearing though, the tale of old Balduran himself. A great man he was, and he sailed farther than most of us could dream. 'Twas his coin that built the great wall that protects our fair city, and none of us would be here save for his efforts.

Posted Image He sounds like a great man. What happened to him?

Posted Image As is often the case with great men, no one knows what became of him. He set out one day for the fabled isles of Anchorome and was not seen again. Some occasionally say that they see the rigging of his ship on the horizon, and the more romantic tales speak of him sailing the stars themselves. Many a cynic claims that he simply foundered on some deserted isle, but talk like that around here and you'll likely be fed your teeth. I've talked your ear off, I have. I'll let you be on your way.

We find Lothander on the second floor.

Posted Image

Posted Image We have your cure, now where is the antidote to the poison?

Posted Image All right then, here's my half of the antidote. Marek, my partner, possesses the other half of the antidote. You'll find him at the Blushing Mermaid Inn. I can't help you other than that.

Oh believe me, we don't need any more help than that.

Posted Image

We rush into the Blushing Mermaid with murder in our hearts, and run smack into a gigantic hairy wall!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: You guys have already been saying stuff like option 1 in this thread so I have no choice but to take it!

Posted Image Wait one moment, you big oaf. Why would you think that I'm Syvishtar? Do I look like I could be that kind of hero? Syvishtar is a juggernaut of destruction, with flaming eyes, and a roaring voice. My companions and I, we're just normal folks.

Posted Image Huh? But you must be Syvishtar. Me see picture, and it look like you. It had no fire eyes or big voice. Though pictures don't have voices. Hmmmmm, I confused.

Posted Image Larze, my poor confused ogre. There is only one thing for you to do. You have to go back and take a closer look at the picture. I'm sure once you've had a second look, you'll know what a big mistake you've made. Now run along, we'll be waiting right here.

Posted Image Yes! Good idea. Larze will find picture and see for sure. You will wait here until Larze gets back.

You know, I have half a mind to actually wait. But before I do, I have to find Marek. We begin to search everywhere, but at first we only find a crying woman.

Posted Image

Posted Image Why shed such tears over a crisis that is far more political than personal?

Posted Image War is political but does it not maim husbands and kill sons? (sniff) My husband rode the plow behind our horses until the rotten iron hitching broke. The horses bolted and the plow rose from the earth to overturn and catch my man beneath it. He was dragged twenty yards through rocky soil and is dying now, beyond the cleric's powers. A simple hitching broke and still you ask me why I weep!

Damn. But what else can I do? I killed all the kobolds and bandits I could find. Must Ismelt all the iron myself?

We don't see Marek downstairs, so we head upstairs.

Posted Image

Upstairs, we can't miss him.

Posted Image

Thinking him a thief, I shout out "Glitterdust! Don't let him hide!" and so Imoen and I both cast it while the others throw their own spells. But Marek is no mere thief!

Posted Image

Seeing all the innocents here in the room, I hesitate to bring the wrath of the Weave to this place. So instead I try to think defensively. What if he casts Fear?

Posted Image

But he is stronger than a small mageling that casts such spells. As my spell and Yeslick's Bless cover all the Golden Company in coruscating magics, Marek reveals his skill by unleashing Confusion.

Posted Image

Oh Rhialto, save us! I open His holy book and desperately search for Dispel Magic, but I am not fast enough. Jaheira, a crazed look in her eyes, executes a frightened commoner cowering on the floor with a crossbow bolt to the back of the neck.

Posted Image

Marek lets loose a Skull Trap then, badly injuring both Edwin and Imoen. Also, the other commoners in the area start to see us as hostile!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: If I'm going to get out of this fight without every guard in the city killing me on sight I'm going to have to switch off AI and go manual. But still, this is not looking good.

The Dispel Magic from Rhialto's Holy Book finally hits the crowd, and everyone comes back to their senses. Also, Marek's protections are gone and Indira and Yeslick are right there in his face!

Posted Image

I am able to disrupt Marek's next spell with a well-timed Acid Arrow.

Posted Image

And then Yeslick utterly destroys him, flinging body parts everywhere.

Posted Image

#919 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

I rush to the site of Marek's dismemberment, and find his potion of antidote.

Posted Image

I gulp down the antidote and pass it around. Everybody takes a sip.

Posted Image

Posted Image I never wanted this to happen! Everything's going horribly wrong!

Posted Image There'll be dark horizons if we don't change our ways!

Gameplay note: Do you think that's where the Dark Horizons mod people got the name of their mod from? By the way, after this fight our reputation is 4, Despised. I don't know if we are going to be able to make it out of here without rousing a mob after us...

I know, I know. I didn't want it to go down this way either. But some people... some people just have no self-control when they get confused. I glance sideways at Jaheira. That woman is frightening.

I'm honestly scared of what the crowd below will think of us. Some women managed to run away from us screaming, and are now downstairs. Are they reporting us as evil thugs, bent on killing everyone? Are we going to be attacked on sight? I feel like they despise us. I must hide!

Posted Image

I try to make us all disappear.

Posted Image

But instead, the Weave gives me a scroll of Cacofiend.

Posted Image

What... what is the Weave trying to imply here? Surely it can't mean... no. No. NO!

Posted Image

For the first time in my lifetime, I successfully resist the will of the Weave.

Posted Image Decide you well your next move! I'll not allow this to continue!

Oh please woman! Look at the commoner you shot! Is his corpse marked with magic!? I almost keep going, giving her a full measure of my mind, but then think better of it. We're all in this together. Everyone in the city knows we're a group. They won't discriminate, so neither should we. I shut up and lead everyone downstairs.

Downstairs reveals to us 4 very panicked commoners.

Posted Image

But we are still invisible, and will be for the next 8 hours. We go outside and head for the one place I know will have us - Tremain Beldear's house. I only hope I can outrun my reputation.

Posted Image

We move to the back of his house.

Posted Image Now the moment I have yearned for. Please all, no noise. I must concentrate.

He casts a spell, a spell that I am all too familiar with.

Posted Image

Posted Image Blessed be Our Smiling Lady! He lives! Son, can you hear me?

Posted Image Father, I... what's going on?

Posted Image Oh, my dear dear boy... you are IN SUCH TROUBLE! What in all the planes were you thinking child?! Gallivanting through an Umberlant Temple like that?! So help me, if turning you over my knee wouldn't kill you outright, you'd jump black to go right to blue!

Posted Image What... but... but it wasn't my faul...

Posted Image Aww. Wasn't that cute?

Posted Image Oh, no you don't! If you want to play the odds, you had best be sure you take responsibility for yourself! The Goddess of Luck and Adventure does not endorse DUMB luck or foolish risks! I swear, if your mother were alive to hear about this she'd drop dead where she stood, and THEN I'd have to raise her TOO! Do you have any idea what this spell takes out of a person?!

Posted Image But I... we... I'm sorr...

Posted Image Not another word past your lips, young man! You're off to your room and see if I let you out before you're four score and twenty! March!

Posted Image But... I... aww...

Posted Image I've your payment here. Tsk, it will be some time before Casson and I get a night out again. It is good to have him back among the living, though I take some small pleasure in the trouble he's in for what we did. You'll notice I've not sat down since you've known me. Sometimes "Our Lady Who Smiles" downright laughts out loud. Look to us if you need aid in the future. Many a Tymoran will look favorably on you now. Good day.

With that, the little kid gives us 1,000 gold and some Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

Posted Image

Holy crap! Where did he get these?!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Since Yeslick's strength is already 22, I give them to Indira, raising hers to 16. Girl is a murder machine now. Also, in case you were wondering, it was mentioned in this thread earlier that Raise Dead in 2nd edition DnD takes one year of life away from the caster. This father just sacrificed a year of his life for his son.

Well, if the Tymorans are going to look at me in a good light, then it is to them I'll go to fix my little... problem.

Posted Image

Posted Image Could you show us what you have to offer.

I humbly and contritely donate the money we just got from Varci back to the temple.

Posted Image

Jaheira throws in another 500 gold on top of that.

Posted Image

Imoen's conscience still bothers her, though, so she puts in another 400.

Posted Image

Even Yeslick donates 200, though none of us think he shares any of the blame. He was the one that ended it, even!

Posted Image

Indira gives 300 gold herself.

Posted Image

Grumbling all the time, Edwin throws in a final 400. He makes sure to let us know it is only because he would become bored with the endless killing a mob would require.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Those are the minimum amounts of gold required to move up the reputation point ladder. I didn't spend any extra cash at all.

Final cost of a clear conscience and average reputation: 2,800 gold. Marek really cost us, that bastard! And not only in money, either. We wasted a perfectly good thieving night running all over the city to get the antidote to his stupid magical poison! But tonight, tonight is going to be the big night. Tonight we'll take this town for all it's worth. We should start by casing out the Hall of Wonders!

Yeslick and Jaheira are both very deep in conversation. They are discussing the pecularities of serving their respective gods while also fighting. Apparently, they both learned a lot from the last few fights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Just a fighter level. Yeslick might also be maxxed out for Baldur's Gate. He has to get 105636 xp to level again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Also just a fighter level for Jaheira. But she only needs 7520 xp to get the next Priest of Sylvanus level. She's definitely got room for improvement.

It may be 10am by the time we're done with the night's quests, but that is just a perfect time to visit the Hall of Wonders!

Posted Image

We go in ready to be confounded by wonderful marvels. I'm actually excited!

Posted Image

Posted Image I would not waste money on this pathetic mausoleum. In this barbaric land, a flint is regarded as the latest invention. (Besides - the brazen boldness, impudent assurance and insolence of praising machinery in my presence! As if gadgets could even be compared with the elegance or efficiency of magic.)

Whatever dude.

Posted Image A mere pittance to pay for a day's entertainment.

Posted Image Please enter, and enjoy the works within. Gondsman Brathlen will offer insights on a number of items, but his time is limited and the tour will not be extensive. Enjoy.

#920 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

The first thing I notice about the place is that there are a whole lot of Flaming Fist mercenaries in here. Crap. That's not good.

Posted Image

So I decide to take the tour.

Posted Image

We follow along, acting natural.

Posted Image

A bridge eh? Guarded together eh?

Posted Image

Fire in its belly eh? Longshoremen health eh? Verra nice verra nice.

Posted Image Zowie! Reminds me of a golem.

Posted Image

Posted Image Imagine how much water you could pump if you had a golem working on that thing!

Watering fields eh? Draining flooded homes eh? I smile and nod, looking interested. Imoen helps.

Posted Image

Posted Image If you had a dragon golem operating the pump of Gond to put oil into the reservoir, you'd never need to fill it! Brilliant!

Actually that's a really good idea! But then, then Brathlen gets to the good stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image I expect this is where magic takes its proper place. A good Clairvoyance or Farsight would do just the same thing.

And with that, the tour is pretty much over. But we talk with Brathlen once more, to ask some questions.

Posted Image

Posted Image You spoke of the two Halls being guarded as one. What did you mean by that?

Posted Image Oh it's a simple matter. With the Halls conjoined, guards within one can pass to the other in a matter of moments. This is actually little needed, what with the extensive use of wards to keep out miscreants. Any number of guarding spells can be triggered by simply passing near one. Anything else?

Posted Image At what time are the doors closed to the public, and when might they open?

Posted Image Dawn to Dusk we are open to viewing. We've a myriad of lighting, but our treasures are best viewed during daylight, when the eyes are open and the mind is fresh. Another inquiry?

Posted Image Would it be possible to buy one of these items? What is their worth in gold?

Posted Image I have hinted that flawed copies of items can be bought, but they must be ordered much in advance. Currently the wait is no less than a year. These originals on display are unavailable at any price, as the exact details of their construction are often lost to time. Apologies. Have you another query?

Posted Image Please continue the tour. Such items are incomprehensible without sage interpretation.

Posted Image Forgive me, but I cannot dally about any longer. Duty calls, but enjoy your visit nonetheless. Please respect the needs of our other brethren as well, and leave with the falling of darkness. Many have nightly devotions that require their time, and they appreciate not having to hunt out stragglers.

The telescope seems to call to me. It's JUST! RIGHT! THERE!

Posted Image

I see Imoen reaching for it but shake my head. Instead I walk around a bit. Eventually I feel like I have a handle on the place.

Posted Image

And then to make sure we know the lay of the land, we take the bridge to the High Hall.

Posted Image

It does, in fact, lead us straight to the other building.

Posted Image

Inside, we are approached by a brightly-colored man.

Posted Image

Posted Image What do you want of me?

Posted Image Well I'll tell you. I am a bard, and a soon-to-be-great bard, I might add. All I really need is some good material for a song or two, and I'll be playing the big rooms. Seeing as how the masses always like tales of daring-do, I need to purchase a few details off of you. I could always make something up, but such things never ring true. Are you interested?

Posted Image For the right price I might consider it.

Posted Image A reasonable request. What if I paid you 100 gold for each idea?

Posted Image The lot of a bard is to travel and learn. Why don't you go out and find your own stories?

Posted Image Why? Because it's DANGEROUS out there. I became a bard for the easy work and prestige among certain female members of my social set, not because I wanted to chase vermin down dungeon holes. Do you wish to help or not?

Posted Image Surely. What type of tales do you require?

Posted Image I don't know. Something dashing and dangerous that will make the ladies go "my hero!"

Posted Image I've faced all manner of beastie and bandit in my travels, and come near death more times than I can count. Would you like to hear of the feral viciousness of gibberlings, or perhaps of the cunning of the common kobold? I could tell of the strength of the gnoll, or the size of the ogre?

Posted Image Well, that all just sounds rather brutish. I'm not sure what my muse is supposed to do with such tales. Perhaps, as they say, I just really had to be there. Take your money, and I shall slink away to write some songs about the high price of ale and how my silken sheets chafe. This bard business is going to be rather difficult if I am restricted to writing of things I know or understand.

Gameplay note: Biting social commentary? I think so!

Then I speak to the Priest of Gond. Being here reminds me of a thing I was going to do - to ask them about this vampiric sword!

Posted Image

Posted Image I humbly ask you to look upon this sword I have recently acquired.

Posted Image Ah, yes, of course. The god of Artifice and Invention may be able to help in things crafted of magic! This, however, requires a more substantial offering, say, 10,000 gold?

Posted Image Really? 10,000? Such a humble amount... Um, what services did you offer here again?

Gameplay note: Turns out they have additional paladin equipment, magical bastard swords and chainmail and splint mails. Some modder must have really liked Ajantis. Too bad he ran off forever!!

Really? 10,000 gold for information on this sword? I wonder if it is worth it. I'll have to think about it. If only there was another Section One base to raid... WAIT! THERE IS! My eyes light up when I realize this and Imoen asks me what I'm thinking. I tell her and she also rubs her hands together. But she asks me if I can do it after she's done with the thievery. I nod. One thing at a time.

Imoen then asks me if we can talk to the Diviner. Of course I agree. But when we get there he is uncooperative.

Posted Image

I remember Sir Winton who is looking for a diamond in this area. I search my bags and realize that I actually have a diamond. Why didn't I just give it to him before? Bah. So many needy people it's hard to keep track of them all.

Posted Image

Hey, 1500 gold! Only 8500 to go before I can figure out what this sword does. Maybe I can make some extra money on the heists tonight? I start to head back, but one more warm body comes stumbling on the cobblestones to bother me.

Posted Image

Posted Image Whoa, calm down. Lecherous whats like who?

Posted Image Ragefast! Oh, he makes me seethe! He's a mage on a power trip and what does he do? He acquires his own personal nymph and enslaves her in his quarters! Men are callous brutes and, personally, I wish the world were rid of them.

Posted Image A mage is keeping a nymph enslaved. We should look into this, Syvishtar. These are worrying words for me to hear. And be careful for what you wish, woman... once the world were rid of all men, you might realize how much you miss them.

Posted Image If the world were rid of men, how would we survive as a species?

Posted Image Trust me, we'd make do... Oh, I'm in no mood to talk.

Actually I know this guy's place! He's the one with his name on his door next to the Lady's House! Finally some place I already know about. We add that to the list of places to loot tonight, bringing it to three: Oberon's Estate, Hall of Wonders, Ragefast's House.

With that in mind, we all head back to the Elfsong Tavern to rest and get ready. Tonight is going to be the night. I can feel it.

Posted Image

Turns out a lot of people at the Elfsong sleep during the afternoon and leave after dark. The innkeeper doesn't bat an eye about it. When we wake, it is 10pm. Perfect looting time!

Imoen once again takes control of the group.

Posted Image

First stop, Oberon's Estate! When we get there, Imoen tells us to wait outside for her and keep alive. We all nod. I think its actually pretty cute when she gets all serious about this stuff.

Posted Image

Edited by Usurper, 25 November 2012 - 06:10 PM.