• 1115 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

What does all this sound like?

A. Sniper		...
B. Adventurer		....................
C. Sharpshooter		
D. Expert		.
E. Gentleman		..

Looks like Adventurer is the runaway favorite. I'll have him that in the next update, which will go up in about 12 hours or so.

Edited by Usurper, 01 October 2012 - 12:38 AM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#783 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Posted Image

24 Ches, 1370

We finish this long, long journey, probably the longest such we have taken so far. This may be the furthest I have ever been from Candlekeep. We camp out overnight here, and are not bothered by any wandering monsters. Then, rested and prepared for what is to come, we make our first cautious explorations. We see that rising out of the dry, desolate soil are dry, desolate towers as battlements.

Posted Image

The only way forward is a perilous bridge over a deep crevasse.

Posted Image

And immediately after that, we see a battle horror!

Posted Image

The construct throws a Magic Missile at the wolf, and the battle is on.

Posted Image

Imoen is hit with a regular arrow, and Strongblade with another magic missile. There are two of them!

Posted Image

Our front line makes a few significant dents in the Battle Horror's armor.

Posted Image

But it is CuChoinneach that gets the deathblow, releasing the evil red energy that powers these abominations.

Posted Image

I wish I could make them myself.

After the second one dies, it is another trip over another perilous bridge.

Posted Image

And then, when we pass under yet another arch, we see a Shadow!

Posted Image

But it's not really a threat.

Posted Image

When we get to the drawbridge, it is down, and we realize that it cannot be raised. One of the chains is broken.

Posted Image

This castle is already starting to give me a weird vibe. I worry what we will find here. We all take a deep breath and then march under the gate. We find a second moat behind it.

Posted Image

Paranoid much? We cross yet another too-narrow bridge over a yawning expanse, and finally reach the front gate. The front gate of Castle Daerthmac.

Posted Image

We go under the gatehouse and see yet another drawbridge on the inside. Three gates, two drawbridges? What kind of paranoid freak would make thi...

Posted Image

Crap! I tell Bardo to start searching for traps now. We are going to need his skills.

Posted Image Okey-dokey.

We scout around the outside of this castle. A skeleton warrior is waiting for us.

Posted Image

Strongblade manages to take it out.

Posted Image

We find a stairway to the top of the battlements. Bardo takes it.

Posted Image

He shouts out "Skeletons!" when he gets to the top.

Posted Image

We all pile up there and find another Battle Horror as well.

Posted Image

The Battle Horror is obsessed with Imoen for some reason, and teleports to her location twice to attack her. But otherwise they are not a threat. We take them all out. Over on the other side of the battlements we find more skeletons and a Doom Guard.

Posted Image

We explore what we can, and narrow down our options so that the only way left to go is in the front door.

Posted Image

So that's what we do next. The inside of the castle looks strangely cramped and dark.

Posted Image

Bardo is practically chomping at the bit to go explore, so we let him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We don't hear anything until there is a roar of divine fire and a scream from the halfling.

Posted Image

When he gets back to us he says that the place is barren and empty, but there's a stairway up just to our left. We follow him. The stairway takes us to more cramped hallways.

Posted Image

Bardo volunteers to go out again, and I nod. But he doesn't get ten feet this time before the undead attack us!

Posted Image

It falls, but not before Bardo has to pop a potion. Then we go back and find that the whole kitchen is full of undead. We go clear them out and spring a few traps in the process.

Posted Image

Bardo figures out where the trap is when the fight is over.

Posted Image

But by then Strongblade and Jet'laya are silenced.

Posted Image

The little guy is not discouraged though. He keeps doin' what he's doin'. He finds another trap, and this time before we trigger it. He's learning!

Posted Image

It is not a problem for him to disarm it. The central area here seems like some kind of dining hall.

Posted Image

Small rooms along the outside of the main dining hall are still dangerous, however.

Posted Image

This time we hear Bardo opening a chest, and ask him what he found. He says a few gems and arrows.

Posted Image

Bardo finds a door to go out, does so, and then comes screaming back in. He says there are basilisks outside. What?

Posted Image

We tell him to finish scouting this floor of the tower, then we'll go outside.

Posted Image

He only finds a few more gems and gold, and so we do go outside. We hit the basilisk with everything we've got, and it is down before it has a chance to do anything.

Posted Image

We go up a stairway outside, and find a Mist Horror, which confuses Jet'laya.

Posted Image

We make it up to the roof, and in the darkness and the rain we can barely make out a Greater Basilisk up here.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This monster turned me to stone twice when trying to fight it. And I figured out that the Stone to Flesh scroll that I put in Imoen's inventory doesn't actually work to fully fix the new type of in-party stoning that some mod implemented. I and Jet'laya ended up green-circled but still not selectable somehow. So I had to reload.

I grab the Rod of Refuge and speak the command word, teleporting us away. There's no way we could survive a fight against a Greater Basilisk without protection.

Posted Image

So I cast Chaos Shield upon myself and then get to work.

Posted Image

I didn't prepare Protection from Petrification this morning but I'm pretty sure I can fake it. I first try it on myself. All my spells get refreshed.

Posted Image

The second try a horrible explosion of violent energy goes off all around me, but it doesn't affect me.

Posted Image

The third time I get reallly dizzzy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can probably still pull this off though. Probably.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#784 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Next time just doesn't work.

Posted Image

And the few times after that too.

Posted Image

When I can cast spells again, I try it on Strongblade. It doesn't really work out the way I want.

Posted Image

But I try again. The Weave jumps into my backpack and eats most of my gold.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: We had, what, 8700 gold? Now we are down to 1700 gold. Again.

I think perhaps the Weave doesn't want to cooperate today. I'm going to have to do this the long way.

Posted Image

The next morning, after we wake, I cast Protection from Petrification upon everyone. The normal, boring way. Then we all go back to beat down the Greater Basilisk.

Posted Image

I get the deathblow! Ha!

Posted Image

We find a second one a little further north.

Posted Image

CuChoinneach gets this one.

Posted Image

Seriously, who puts basilisks on their roofs? I am interrupted from this thought by Bardo who has discovered a trap near me.

Posted Image

He discovers a few gold and a magical scimitar, Rashad's Talon.

Posted Image

Who keeps scimitars in chimneys on top of roofs? Again my ponderings are interrupted by a third basilisk on top of this place.

Posted Image

This fight finally teaches Jet'laya the importance of blocking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Two pips in Sword and Shield style now.

Posted Image

Then we survey the area from the top of the tower. With some rest and enough castings of Farsight from Jet'laya, we manage to survey the entire area around the tower.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I wish I could get this in desktop size. In fact I wish I could get all area art for all of the BG games in high resolution. I'd pay money for that. Unfortunately at baldursgate.com they've said that they lost the original art assets for Baldur's Gate, so they can't create higher-res versions of them. A tragedy. I hope that's not the case for all the games, though.

I realize that there aren't really two moats, just one with a few branches. I bet this place was nicer when water was flowing through it. We decide to go check out the inside of this tower, so it is back down the outside stairs, in the door, and to the storeroom that has a stairway up.

Posted Image

The next floor is just as cramped and eerie as the previous.

Posted Image

Bardo scouts without being asked this time. He finds a little chapel with a trapped altar.

Posted Image

He says it's not a problem, but he can't disarm the trap.

Posted Image

The only thing on the altar, though, is a book on the History of Cormyr. I don't see how that's relevant.

The next room is a bedroom with a locked chest. It's got some good loot in it.

Posted Image

We identify the wand - it is a Wand of Lightning!

Posted Image

I give it to Imoen. The next room has a trapped chest.

Posted Image

In it is a magical necklace! It is another Amulet of Protection. Unfortunately none of us can use it, due to other magical equipment or other amulets.

Bardo keeps exploring out the door. The central area of this level of the tower seems like a kind of reading lounge.

Posted Image

And a library! I bet Finch would love to see this place.

Posted Image

There are histories of Shadowdale and Halruaa, of the North, and of the Red Ravens, the book The Sisters of Light and Darkness, Gondegal the Lost King, and a scroll of Cure Serious Wounds. I give that to Strongblade. We put the books into the Bag of Holding. Finch can sort through them later.

The rest of this tower is rather macabre.

Posted Image

There are some potions in a locked chest here.

Posted Image

And some kind of forge in the very back. It is long cold.

Posted Image

There is still a higher level to this tower, so we take it. We go up.

Posted Image

Another banquet hall? Or is this some kind of lounge room.

Posted Image

We find magical wizard equipment in the first room here.

Posted Image

A Traveler's Robe and a Cloak of Protection +1. Nothing special. Bardo goes around the corner and down a hallway to what looks like a palatial bathroom, and finds.... a vampire!

Posted Image

He doesn't even have a chance to scream before he is enthralled by the vampire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We hear some strange hissing, so we go down the hallway to see what's up. Which means that CuChoinneach and Jet'laya go down the hallway because it only fits two. They engage the vampire, and it drinks CuChoinneach's blood!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I thought he was protected from this sort of thing? He kills the vampire a few seconds later.

Posted Image

Bardo fires a few arrows at the two people who came to save him, but he never hits anybody. And soon his domination wears off.

Posted Image

The duo tells us what just happened, and Imoen gets wide-eyed. She is super excited to be able to kill vampires! So excited that she promises she'll be better at magic than ever before!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Just 30,000 more xp before she gets her rogue abilities back.

Her first level 4 spell she will memorize, of course, is Improved Invisibility.

Posted Image

Bardo continues with his explorations. He finds a weapon rack full of halberds and spears. One is excellent so he takes it to sell. Then he keeps exploring until he finds some more undead.

Posted Image

Since the halls are so hard to navigate, we send in only the dedicated undead killers. They do well.

Posted Image

A ghast tries to flank us. I admire his initiative as I burn his corpse.

Posted Image

Another bedroom has another locked and trapped chest.

Posted Image

This one has Darts of Wounding in it.

Posted Image

And that is all that this tower has to offer, going up.

#785 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

We have nowhere else to go but down....

Posted Image

and down further...

Posted Image

and still further...

Posted Image

down below the ground floor...

Posted Image

to an undead-infested basement.

Posted Image

We rush the bad guys and spring a trap.

Posted Image

It is a trap of Stinking Cloud. Imoen falls unconscious immediately. We kill the rest of the undead.

Posted Image

Bardo braves the cloud to discover a few gems and two Protection from Petrification scrolls. Definitely good to have around when there are basilisks on the roof. He finds another trap to disarm.

Posted Image

But there is nothing to protect with the trap. Strange. There are more undead in the eastern passageway.

Posted Image

And at the end of the passageway, some kind of coffers built into the ground, and trapped.

Posted Image

They prove a good haul!

Posted Image

We think that we are almost done with this place, and no baby to be had, when Bardo finds a secret door. Ooooh, spooky!

Posted Image

A door, a stairway, a long passageway, and eventually we find ourselves in a dark sub-basement.

Posted Image

This is the evil undead beast that CuChoinneach is hunting, right? The one that took the baby!

Posted Image Tell us where the child is and we will not harm you.

Posted Image Please help me... I didn't mean to do it. HE made me. He placed me under a spell. I had no choice. Please take me away from here, please!

Alright then, if she wants to play it like this, she can prove it.

Posted Image Clairis, we must find the baby. You must take us to him. Take us to this Lord Daerthmac so that we can take this child home to his family. Can you do that? You must.

Posted Image He has him, Lord Daerthmac. I don't know if the baby is still alive or not. Please, I just want to go home.

Posted Image We will get you out of here, but first you need to tell us where the Ghastkill baby is. He is still alive, isn't he? Can you tell us where we can find him?

Posted Image I-I-very well, but then take me away from here. I cannot stay here another minute. He is a monster!

She takes us.

Posted Image

Posted Image Daerthmac, you underestimate me. You and your minion will fall, be it by my hand or another's. Your reign of terror is over. The people of Faerun will know peace again. Return to me the child Daerthmac. Your end will be quick.

Posted Image Ha ha ha, you forget CuChoinneach. I am already dead, I am indestructible. You cannot stop me. No one can. Try if you must, you will die trying. And I will enjoy making you one of us. The ultimate victory will be mine. You will become what you despise most. Are you ready Clairis?

Posted Image Yes me lord! Ha ha ha...

Then Lord Daerthmac and several of his vampire underlings cast Dimension Door and step away. Damnit!

Posted Image

CuChoinneach destroys the remaining one in a single blow.

Posted Image

This place is undoubtedly filled with traps and ambushes. We are going to have to go slowly, cautiously, making sure nothing...

Posted Image

Crap! You know, now that I think of it, this basement looks quite familiar.

Posted Image

We kill the wraith in the room and Bardo unlocks the cabinet. We find 3 scrolls of Lesser Restoration and one of Dispel Magic. Useful.

Posted Image

A skeleton warrior roars at us from the center of the room.

Posted Image

We take it out, and its skeleton companion. Then Bardo finds a trap.

Posted Image

I could swear I've been here before...

Posted Image

No, no, wait, none of the sarcophagi are openable.

Posted Image

I distinctly remember a wall of sarcophagi with two openable ones. These aren't. Obviously I've never been here before.

Posted Image

And of course I've never fought vampires before. I would know if I'd been to a vampire-infested lair already. Nevertheless I can't shake the feeling of deja vu when I get hit with lightning bolt traps on marble tile floors.

Posted Image

The side rooms are sparsely populated with shadows and wraiths. The center has a few skeletons. Eventually, though, we explore all the side pockets and realize that there is only one place to go.

Posted Image

Now this part looks REALLY familiar. We find only empty rooms, though.

Posted Image

The occasional skeleton or skeleton warrior.

Posted Image

But overall it is, as Bardo keeps saying, "Not a problem." We move on.

Posted Image

Some stairs and a long hallway later and we are greeted with Lord Daerthmac's true form.

Posted Image

But he just summons some undead at us and disappears. The vampire dominates Strongblade though!

Posted Image

I dispel the magic and Strongblade is back on our side.

Posted Image

The vampire focuses on Bardo, and Strongblade goes to his rescue. But the vampire just dominates him again!

Posted Image

Bardo is almost dead, so he pops a Potion of Invisibility. The vampire abandons her attack on him and turns to me! But Imoen shoots it one last time and it falls.

Posted Image

Bardo is looking extremely wan from the fight.

Posted Image

I notice that Strongblade is still dominated and attacking Madadh n'Sgail. It looks like the wolf is winning, too!

Posted Image

I don't want to lose Strongblade, so both Jet'laya and I heal him. A moment later, Conchobhair Strongblade, Holy Swordsman, cuts down Madadh n'Sgail.

Posted Image

Oh what tragedy befalls us this day? A true one, to be sure, for I have no way of resurrecting the fallen animal. I do what I can, though, and dispel the Domination with Rhialto's Holy Book.

Posted Image

Strongblade helps us kill the remaining skeleton warrior, and then after the fight is over, Jet'laya uses one of the scrolls of Lesser Restoration on Bardo.

Posted Image

When we advance into the central room we realize that Madadh n'Sgail is back with us. CuChoinneach must have resurrected his wolf himself.

Posted Image

Bardo finds a trap.

Posted Image

#786 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Then he finds 3 more.

Posted Image

The little dude is sure earning his keep. He advances to disarm the traps and two vampires try to dominate him. He manages to keep his own head and take out all three traps without losing it.

Posted Image

A more stalwart halfling I have never seen! Then he gets the hell out of there while we send the undead tag team to deal with the vampires.

Posted Image

They manage to take care of everything with no losses.

Posted Image

One of the vampires drops a Pirate's Cutlass +2.

Posted Image

Good equipment for someone who is into scimitars. Jet'laya restores Bardo again. Then we all go into the room to have a look around.

Posted Image

We find a good haul.

Posted Image

The book is the History of Calimshan. The scroll is Protection from Acid. And the ring we will have to identify tomorrow. The next room also has a trapped and locked sarcophagus. It also has good loot in it.

Posted Image

These include a scroll of Protection from Magic, a Potion of Heroism, and a Potion of Invulnerability. Good to help out in a pinch. There are more hallways and more shadows, so Bardo sets out again. He trips a few traps but finds another.

Posted Image

And he finds a stairway down. We will have to take that later.

Posted Image

Later on we hear an "Ow!" from him. Sometimes I think this guy is really useful, and other times I think he doesn't really know what he's doing.

Posted Image

Again we hear an "Ow!" and I shake my head.

Posted Image

But then the little guy gets attacked by another vampire. He sees it shift into a bat, and what does he do? Ice Arrow to the bat! Good job!

Posted Image

Then he runs away as we try to rush to his aid... again.

Posted Image

He is struck once.

Posted Image

His response is to drink another Potion of Invisibility. He makes it. The wolf gets this one.

Posted Image

We go down the passage to the inevitable sarcophagus room, but this one is empty. I guess the vampires cleared it out before we got here.

Posted Image

The last branch of this passageway is all that's left to us. Bardo tries to check it for traps, and finds a skeleton warrior instead!

Posted Image

We take care of him.

Posted Image

Then the little halfling goes on his bumbling way to sometimes detect traps.

Posted Image

Yes we know there is a trap there Bardo.

Posted Image

Its lightning bolt is still bouncing around and hitting us!

Posted Image

It just won't stop.

Posted Image

We make Bardo drink some healing potions before continuing on. He needs them. And this time, when he finds a room, he opts for hiding in the shadows.

Posted Image

He springs a Web trap.

Posted Image

He steps into the room and sees two Skeleton Lords, who each shoot a lightning bolt at him. He runs but they get him anyways.

Posted Image

We catch up to Bardo, and give him another healing potion. He tells us what is in the next room, and we nod. I think back about what happened in previous fights then, and wonder why Strongblade got dominated. Didn't I give him the Helmet of Mind Warding? I take a look at his gear. He is wearing just a normal helmet. That is unacceptable. I teleport to the Refuge for just a moment to equip him with the Helmet of Mind Warding.

Posted Image

I am about to go back into the fight, but Jet'laya tells me that she's out of healing. Everyone looks beaten and worn down. I relax, and say we can rest the night here. We will continue in the morning.

Posted Image If ye want to leave, go ahead.

Posted Image Your words are like whips across my naked shoulders.

Uh... what? I try not to think about what kind of conversation that could be the end of. We rest and make ready for the day. Then we teleport back and rush the next room.

Posted Image

It happens so fast that I don't even realize it's done until it is. Both of the Skeleton Lords cast Lightning Bolts at Conchobhair Strongblade, and they really hurt. Then he is attacked by one in melee and is struck down by a Skeleton Lord in one blow.

Posted Image

We take out that one, and the next, but the dead body of the paladin taunts us nevertheless.

Posted Image

We solemnly gather up his equipment, and deposit it in the Armory. What are we going to do now? We are 5 days' travel from even the most remote outpost of civilization. A vampire has a baby, and we must save it before the vampire eats the baby. There is no way we can go and get a new party member before then. Or, even resurrect the party member we do have. We're just going to have to soldier on, one man down. So Bardo takes his boots.

I also reconsider our party formation. It used to be Strongblade in front, with CuChoinneach and Jet'laya right behind him to back him up. But now, I think CuChoinneach and Jet'laya should be side by side at the front of the group. So I turn party leadership over to CuChoinneach and advise another formation.

Posted Image Just stand back, and let me do my work.

Heh, ok there elf buddy. We go back and edge up, against the next room. Two vampires and a Grimwarder rush out to attack us. We end one quickly.

Posted Image

The Grimwarder dies like a Helmed Horror.

Posted Image

Posted Image Workin' on this add-on many late nights in a row has made me just a wee bit tense.

He must be talking about his armor or something. We are about to enter the last chamber when Bardo yells at us to stop. He found a trap!

Posted Image

When he disarms it, another Grimwarder gets his eyes on the halfling and begins to chase him around the room, while the rest of us try to kill it.

Hey man, we're all trying to help here.

Posted Image

We surround it and take it out, and then we let Bardo do his thing on this last sarcophagus.

Posted Image

Awww yeahh, this is the good stuff.

Posted Image

The necklace we will have to find out about tomorrow. The book is the History of the Chosen of Mystra. Wow, I definitely want to read that tonight! After looting that sarcophagus, we travel all the way back to the central room.

Ok, now that's getting a little old.

Posted Image

Bardo goes to scout the corridor in front of us. He finds more undead, unsurprisingly, and we all go to cover his fuzzy little butt.

Posted Image

The dog and his master take center stage... again.

Whatever dude.

Posted Image

But the room they were in is full of nothing but corpses.

Posted Image

And the same with the next room.

Posted Image

#787 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

And the next.

Posted Image

CuChoinneach gets a little overwhelmed in this fight.

Posted Image

But Jet'laya patches him up.

Posted Image

I try to come in to help and I am paralyzed, diseased, and level drained.

Ok look, not all of us have Underoos of Negative Plane Protection or whatever. We just want to kill undead too. Ok?

Posted Image

Jet'laya uses the last scroll of Lesser Restoration on me.

Posted Image

One of the undead was carrying a scroll of Minor Spell Turning. Good for us all, I think. And while we are all waiting for myself to become unparalyzed, Bardo gingerly picks through the corpses and finds some interesting loot.

Posted Image

We can't identify any of the magical items, so we just give the potions to Jet'laya and plan to take a closer look at everything else later. Then we go back to the central room. We realize that the eastern hallway leads somewhere. We decide to explore it.

Posted Image

It leads to a cave full of twisting passageways.

Posted Image

We find a potion, just laying on the ground at the junction of several passageways.

Posted Image

It is a Potion of Explosions. Nearby, we find another passageway elsewhere.

Posted Image

We note it for later. Next, we find another potion lying on the ground.

Posted Image

It is an Oil of Speed. I wonder why these things are just lying on the ground. Are they bait? A simple ghast haunts the next area.

Posted Image

Other lone ghasts haunt other wider areas in this endless maze of tunnels. The whoel area seems sad somehow, as if this some sort of retirement cave for weak, pitiful undead. We find Potions of Storm Giant Strength and Healing. But it is overall a dull experience. There is nothing else to do but take the next passage.

Posted Image

We find an old, forgotten grave, with a trapped chest within.

Posted Image

There's 3,000 gold, 3 magical items, and a scroll of Magic Circle Against Evil! It is magic that I cannot cast.

Posted Image

I can no longer stand walking around with so many unidentified magical items. I teleport us to the Refuge so that we can rest and learn what they are. So we do. And first we learn of the ring we picked up. It is the Unfailing Missile Deflector. So now we have two.

Posted Image

The next is the Bluestone Necklace of Dexterity.

Posted Image

That sounds like something Bardo could use, so I give it to him.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: It changes his THAC0 to 4, which is pretty damn good! For comparison, CuChoinneach the wonder boy has a THAC0 of 3.

The next amulet is one I recognize from the Cloakwood Mines. It is a cursed amulet, the fake Amulet of Great Foresight.

Posted Image

I'll not be tricked again. I drop it. But the other amulet is quite intriguing.

Posted Image

I am tempted to put it on to see what it does. But I don't want to risk myself, so I give it to CuChoinneach. He places it on his neck and then begins to curse and flinch.

Posted Image

The item is poisoned, and it is slowly killing him! I try to be serious but I almost crack a smile. It almost serves him right.

Posted Image

Thankfully since I have so many spell slots now, I always keep a Break Enchantment memorized. I cast it on him and he is saved.

Posted Image

The spear is a Spear of Fire. Now we have 3, I think.

Posted Image

The final item is the Muramasa Katana.

Posted Image

If we had anybody who used Katanas, they would probably be extremely happy with this one. Then, rested and refreshed already, we go back the way we came. There is only one place left for us to go - down those hidden stairs at the end of that one corridor.

Posted Image

So we take the stairs and head down further.

Posted Image

When we reach the bottom of the stairs, I get another strong sensation of deja vu. Haven't I been here before?

Posted Image

No, it can't be. This is an maze of windy passages. The place I was thinking of before was a maze of twisty passages. It can't be the same.

Posted Image

Well at least we find something after a long search. A wight.

Oh for the love of the freakin' WEAVE, man!

Posted Image

And in the room the wight was guarding, we find a stack of treasure!

Posted Image

There are two spell scrolls in it. One is Varashar's Life Drain.

Posted Image

I copy it into my spellbook. The other is cursed.

Posted Image

I drop it to the ground. The shield is the Sun Shield.

Posted Image

The amulet is the the Amulet of the Learned.

Posted Image

The robe is Drakelor's Robe.

Posted Image

That is slightly better than my current robe, a Traveler's Robe, so I put it on myself. A pretty good haul, all in all. We head back towards the entrance to take the other fork. Once there, we are ambushed by a vampire!

Posted Image

And as soon as we kill the first, a second takes its place.

Posted Image

It does something that I had not seen before. It turns into a bat and flies over to me, then turns back and attacks me! I run away from it until CuChoinneach gets his Plot Armored ass over here to take it on again.

If you say that one more time elf, so help me I'm going to...

Posted Image

A dead body two rooms over yields a magical pole axe.

Posted Image

It is the Pole axe +2 Kilther. I'm pretty sure we have one of these already.

Posted Image

Killing a wraith leads to another small pile of loot.

Posted Image

And an empty room also has a pile of loot in it.

Posted Image

Ok now THIS definitely feels familiar.

Posted Image

Familiar and easy.

Posted Image

Assaulted by a wraith, we defend ourselves.

Posted Image

#788 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Then Bardo turns a corner and sees another skeleton lord. Crap!

Posted Image

You know what? FINE. Send the dog in first even.

Posted Image

It works out very well. Damnit.

Posted Image

Bardo finds some kind of trap. It is there for no reason.

Posted Image

He finds another trap next to a dead body. The dead body is obviously bait.

Posted Image

When he disarms the trap, he sees a vampire.

Posted Image

A second one comes. I try to cast some missiles at it but it doesn't work.

Posted Image

One of the vampires drains Bardo's energy. Nooo!

Look you insufferable prick, we all hate vampires and we all want to get this baby back okay?!

Posted Image

The wolf takes it out.

Posted Image

The dead body yields some great equipment for me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: It takes me down 2 more AC and makes me cast faster. Woohoo!

The wolf takes some time out to heal Burdo too. I feel like it is just showing off, though.

Posted Image

I get the premonition that the final confrontation with Lord Daerthmac is just around the corner. So I turn to CuChoinneach and tell him that we're all going to stand back and let him do his work. I bow deeply and gesture around the corner, telling him to go right ahead and do everything he needs to do, and don't mind us! Surprisingly enough, he just nods and strides around the corner. We turn and retreat deeper into the maze. We'll see what happens.

Around the corner are the two vampires. Lord Daerthmac Hastes everyone and casts a Symbol of Fear at CuChoinneach. He is immediately terrified, and begins to run scared.

Posted Image

In his fear and confusion, CuChoinneach attacks his own dog!

Posted Image

He chases him into the corner and attacks again.

Posted Image

Wait a second, I think he may be dominated.

Posted Image

The vampiric wolf, strangely enough, joins the side of Madadh n'Sgail and bites CuChoinneach!

Posted Image

Madadh n'Sgail gets some good hits in himself.

Posted Image

The fight goes back and forth.

Posted Image

Until finally, CuChoinneach deals the deathblow to his own damn wolf!

Posted Image

The vampiric wolf doesn't give up, though, and eventually manages to paralyze CuChoinneach with his nose in the corner.

Posted Image

But Madadh n'Sgail doesn't stay dead. He wakes back up and rips the vampiric wolf's throat out!

Posted Image

Then the wolf starts to work on Clairis.

Posted Image

Lord Daerthmac reappears just to summon a skeleton warrior to strike CuChoinneach down.

Posted Image

And, of course, he is successful.

Posted Image

Ugh. I thought we were just supposed to stand back and let CuChoinneach do his work? What happened to being a Chosen of Sehanin Moonbow? What happened to having Madadh n'Sgail the wonder-wolf to heal you, man? Bah. I'm going to have to take care of things myself. If your ghost is still around, CuChoinneadh, let me show you how it's done.

#789 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

The first thing you do is summon some cannon fodder.

Posted Image

The second thing you do is inscribe a Glyph of Wild Magic on top of your enemies and the cannon fodder.

Posted Image

Then, while everyone is scared and confused by the bursts of wild magic everywhere, you cast Corporeal Instability on your main target.

Posted Image

And to make sure he dies, you call down an Ice Storm on everyone and everything. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted Image

Ok well maybe that last part not so much.

Posted Image

You use Rhialto's Random Missiles!

Posted Image

Err.. Ajandurah's Ice Shard!

Posted Image

Ahh, any old spell will do.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: That's just about the most appropriate spell I could have ever cast.

Lightning Bolt!

Posted Image

Flame Arrow!

Posted Image

Shit. Varashar's Life Drain!

Posted Image

Oh yeah, that's more like it.

Posted Image

Incendiary Cloud!

Posted Image

My party members are extremely startled when the gnolls come.

Posted Image

Summon Nishruu!

Posted Image

Cacofiend!

Posted Image

And then the goop runs out and he's back to fighting in bat form. So you run to your friends and let them help you.

Posted Image

Then Animate Dead!

Posted Image

And then you find that Blade Shower is the only thing that really hurts him so you keep casting it over and over and over.

Posted Image

And that's how you find out that your Aura is getting Cleansed after each spell.

Posted Image

And so then you really open up a can of Magic Missile at him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And you follow it up with everything else in your spellbook because there's no pause between spells and everything flies from your fingertips instantly...

Posted Image

And when the birds finish flying away and the glowy balls dissipate and the explosions subside, he's dead. But that's not good enough, because you're still down on hit points, so you use Cellular Regeneration to heal yourself, just because you can!

Posted Image

THAT's how you do it, you insufferable ponce!

We pick up the baby from the burned and smoking corpse of Lord Daerthmac.

Posted Image

Of course it's fine. Why wouldn't it be? On the ground where Clairis died, we find some gold and a letter.

Posted Image

Kinky! We also find some necklaces and rings, and a few potions just lying around the place.

Just in front of the pile of corpses in the next room, Bardo finds a trap.

Posted Image

He disarms it, and we find some potions, another copy of the Sisters of Light and Darkness, and a wooden stake.

Posted Image

If we had a vampire corpse, I guess we could use this to totally kill it. But we don't have one, do we? Maybe we should check the graves... Following a hunch, I go back through the caves area to those two extremely old coffins. The ones with the trapped chest. A ghast follows us.

Posted Image

We put him down.

Posted Image

Then we take a closer look at the two coffins. There they are!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I do the same for the other as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image This here somehow reminds me of Grandpa's cellar... except for the monsters, of course.

Um... if you say so. We make our way out of this now-deserted castle.

Posted Image

When we finally leave the place and step into the open air, it is day. Glorious, glorious day!

Posted Image

We are not molested once as we leave this place formerly full of death. We make our journey back to Nashkel without even being ambushed by monsters once.

Posted Image

When we arrive, the first place we go is the Nashkel Store. There's something I want to know. When we get there, I have Imoen talk to the shopkeeper. We ask him how much it would be for a scimitar, shield, and a leather armor. He won't take the shield, but he'll take the other two.

Posted Image

I thank him for the information, but do not sell the items. Instead, I go to the Temple of Helm. We resurrect Conchobhair Strongblade right away, but then when I discover how much it will cost to resurrect CuChoinneach, I hesitate.

Posted Image

I am not sure what to do here.

Gameplay note: CuChoiunneach is a special character. He is only with us for the completion of this quest. After we turn in the baby and get everything squared away, he will say his goodbyes and go off to continue adventuring with his wolf, and without us. Either he deserts us, or he stays dead. Those are the only two options. So, what should we do here?

A. Resurrect CuChoinneach - It is the right thing to do. We should pay the 800 gold to resurrect him so that he can continue on his merry way, ridding the Realm of more vampires, liches, and spotlights on the protagonists of other stories. More people need to know CuChoinneach, and to know that they should just stand back and let him do his work.
B. Sell his shit and let him rot - We lost 7,000 gold trying to buff the party against Greater Basilisks that we only encountered by following his elven arse to Castle Daerthmac in the first place. And it turns out that he didn't even really want us there! We should drop him off in the graveyard and sell his shit for partial, PARTIAL compensation of 3,875 gold, and maybe more for his shield at Thunderhammer Smithy. Besides, he has served Sehanin Moonbow as her Chosen for far too long, it is past time for him to receive his eternal reward in her generous bosom.
C. Sell his shit to pay for his resurrection (and keep the rest) - Let him go adventuring as a Level 7 Ranger without all the broken divine equipment that he clearly wasn't worthy of. 800 gold for a delicious serving of humble pie feels like a fair price.
D. Resurrect him and kill him again - Letting him get killed by his greatest enemy wasn't enough of a humiliation. We should resurrect him, take him out behind the woodshed, and nuke his ass. Then abandon him and sell his stuff.

Cast your votes!

Edited by Usurper, 01 October 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#790 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Heh, A. Resurrect CuChoinneach.

#791 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

B. Not that I think Sehanine Moonbow would want him.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#792 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

I added another option, D, based on a suggestion from a friend.

#793 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

A. The others seem kind of mean. I would not mind C except I don't think the character has a way to react to it, and it's silly if you sell all his super special gear and then he runs off like nothing happened. So, consider this vote a C if you write in a good in-character reaction scene.

Also, joking about plot armor and such aside, and I know everyone hates CuChoinneach, but I like this for the same reason I liked Conchobhair Strongblade and Bardo right before fighting the dragon: you get a character with powerful equipment who's severely overspecialized so that some high-level fights are easier to handle, but you can ignore the help if you feel like it. Also if you're going to have an author avatar NPC, making him join you for one specific area for a specific reason and then leaving is the way to do it, I think. But I seem to like DSotSC more than the rest of the thread, so.

Posted Image If ye want to leave, go ahead.

Posted Image Your words are like whips across my naked shoulders.
Uh... what? I try not to think about what kind of conversation that could be the end of.

There must be fanfic written to explain this, clearly.

Edited by AmyAE, 01 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#794 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

B, just leave him like Montaron.
LotN

#795 Justify

Justify
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

I vote C. And I know it would be more work, but writing in a response to "We sold all your shit." would be amazing.

#796 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ok, here are the votes:

A. Resurrect CuChoinneach			..
B. Sell his shit and let him rot		.....................
C. Sell his shit to pay for resurrection 	...................
D. Resurrect him and kill him again		........

B marginally edges out C. So that's how I'm going to play it, starting now.

Edited by Usurper, 02 October 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#797 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Posted Image

1 Tarsakh, 1370

I think back to the way it had gone down in Castle Daerthmac. How smoothly CuChoinneach had killed all of the undead, never breaking a sweat. And how often he had insisted that we all stand back and let him work. The cacophony comes to me then, many voices in turns shouting, rationally explaining, and whispering their desires. "I don't want to spend a single cent on this asshole unless it directly benefits us," they say, and "You're really coming into your own here, Syv!" A rational voice explains, "The cost of having him in the party, even for a little while, is too great to bear." "Bardo's really earning his keep!" and "fuck that guy!" are spoken with the same voice. Another counterpoint speaks up, saying, "Guy is a jerk, but there are lots of jerks and we don't go around killing them all." But on its heel a whisper comes, "Maybe we should..." "Take him out behind the woodshed," cackles a voice, "And use a plain club." "If a god likes him so much, she can resurrect him," they say, but another counters with "Not that I think Sehanine Moonbow would want him." "Mur'neth could really come in handy," another voice explains, "He's helpful, cleans up after himself, can keep a secret, and dissolves all traces of flesh and bone." A strident voice insists, "Let him live the rest of his life knowing he failed in his quest and had to get bailed out by us!" That voice is supported by another, "A fate worse than death for him and his ilk. And his little dog, too." "... a worse fate than mere death," a third voice joins in, along with "Let him live in eternal shame." One kind voice speaks in reproof, "The others seem kind of mean." A couple of voices just yell out "Insufferable prick!" repeatedly. One calm voice speaks, "He's in a better place now," but is overshadowed by another screaming, "Man I hate his ass SO MUCH!" A helpful, hesitant voice states, "We can also kill him after he leaves the party?" A mature, responsible voice speaks, saying, "He died under our care, and we shouldn't mind raising him," to which another agrees by saying, "and we're resurrected everyone else so far." But right after that, I hear, "Just leave him like Montaron." One still, small voice says, "So far she's also felt guilty about the death surrounding her. She wouldn't want another blot on her record." The final voice to chime in says, "What if they were also a berserkes?" Some of the voices aren't making sense.

The number of disparate wills within my head almost crush my own. They are pushing, prodding, cajoling, pleading. The debate is hot. I put my hands on my temples, trying to keep it all in. Finally, I just shout, "ENOUGH!" The voices are silent. I lower my hands and open my eyes, to see Bardo, Imoen, Jet'laya, Conchobhair, and High Priest Nalin staring at me in shock. Brage, still here in this temple, smiles sadly in understanding at me. I freeze, unable to even think of an explanation. After a long moment, I just kind of relax and say we have to go. Then I turn and walk out. The others are slow to follow.

Posted Image

Outside, I walk out behind the Temple of Helm, to a small rock wall and a tree. I feel the gazes of both the paladin and cleric heavy upon me. I put on my best smile and explain that I think CuChoinneach would be most happy in his final rest. Both Jet'laya and Conchobhair frown at my words. I go on to say that as a Chosen of Sehanine Moonbow, he is probably living it up in her domain now. At this, both the holy people get small, wistful smiles on their faces. So I talk that up. How much of a reward he is probably receiving; how relaxing it is to be with other like-minded believers; how much he will learn about his Goddess that he never knew before. By the time I'm done, I think Jet'laya has a tear in one eye. Then I say we should leave him to his eternal rest. They nod. They even help me finish the grave and place his body in there.

Posted Image

I ask Jet'laya to say a few words. She speaks of CuChoinneach's undead-slaying abilities and his confidence in his own skills. Strongblade says a few words about the ease with which the dead elf killed vampires, and the dedication he inspired in his wolf companion to keep the animal coming back even from the dead. Bardo says that CuChoinneach was the greatest hero he had ever known, which makes me bristle a bit. Imoen even speaks up, saying that she had never seen someone wield a scimitar like that before. Then I close by saying that I hope he's happy now. I try to make it sound sincere but the others give me looks again and I think I was too snarky. But too late, so sad, he's in the ground now.

Posted Image

Good riddance. And to his little dog too.

Posted Image

Then we go sell his shit at the store.

Posted Image

Count 'em, 9,168 gold! We came out ahead after all!

Posted Image

Then we go take the baby back to his mother.

Posted Image

That makes you feel good, doesn't it?

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Our reputation is now 18, heroic! Yay, we're heroes!

When we leave the house, we run into a young lady named Katerin.

Posted Image

Posted Image We will take care of it for you.

I sneak a look at the letter. It is pretty funny.

Posted Image

We travel to Beregost without incident. When we get to the Jovial Juggler, we let Conchobhair Strongblade take his much-deserved vacation.

Posted Image

Posted Image We will come get you if there are any more dragons to hunt.

Then we go out to deliver this letter. It can't be that hard to deliver a simple letter, can it? On the street, we pass Otho Truehammer. I stop to say hi.

Posted Image

Posted Image It is a very fine weapon indeed, Otho... thanks.

Posted Image Warms my heart to hear that, it does. A mace is a difficult weapon to craft, you know. Maybe not as hard as a sword, that's true, but still. The head of the mace must be balanced perfectly, so that every hit will have maximum crushing power...

Posted Image Oh, I almost forgot what I wanted to talk to you about. My nephew Tearlac of the Truehammer clan came through here a couple of days ago with a group of young dwarves. He told me that they would return that evening. I began to worry when they didn't return and feared that they had come into some trouble. Well, this morning my worries were confirmed. Young Drunor, a good friend of Tearlac, told me that the group was jumped by a group of orcs to the south of here. It would really do this old dwarf's heart good if you could find him and return him to safety for me.

Posted Image We will find your nephew and bring him back to you safely!

Posted Image Yer a savior ye are, and don't let anyone tell ye different! Young Drunor told me that the boys were to the south, at the mountain pass just before you get to Nashkel. He told me that the orcs had a camp off the side of the main road near an entrance to a cave.

I think I know that place. But first, the letter.

Posted Image

Yes, it is strange for me to be a messenger, now that I think of it. Maybe I should subcontract these things out from now on.

I decide to take a little stroll around this fine town before going back to the Jovial Juggler. I just want to get a feel for the place, see if anything's different, take in the sights. Pet the cows.

Posted Image

Pet the cows some more.

Posted Image

I like petting cows. They don't try to kill you at all. They don't even like moving. They just like sitting there and eating grass.

Posted Image If ye need me, I'll be over here.

I kind of miss Haiass sometimes, you know? He was always there, always fighting. He never tried to steal the spotlight or take too much party treasure.

Posted Image

Posted Image Gullykin is nothing compared with this city!

Posted Image Now don't you trust anyone here, ye got me?

Jet'laya is beginning to mother Bardo. Hmmm. Makes sense. He's pretty much a kid. Me, I like cows. And I think cows like me pretty good too.

Posted Image

As I'm standing here, soaking up the sunshine and the pastoral grass and the bucolic everything, the Weave rushes up to me, down upon me, across the fields to me, and I am struck with a wild surge of magical energy the likes of which I have only felt once before.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: All this talk about how we're never going to see lower-value wild surges as Syvishtar(a) levels up and we've all forgotten that there's always a 5% chance when casting any spell to trigger a wild surge, which is apparently not affected by my level. So... I'm a man again. Wow.

Posted Image

I can do nothing but stand there, my body convulsing and changing. I finally manage to let out a gasp, and Jet'laya, Imoen, and Bardo are once again just starting at me, open-mouthed and wide-eyed. It takes me a few moments to get used to my new thoat, and then I speak. I make a weak joke about the Weave thinking me better as a male farmer or something. Trying to reference the cows. Imoen tries to laugh, but she doesn't quite get the sound to come out. Not knowing what else to do, I go back to petting my cows.

Posted Image

Then I motion for the animal to come with me.

Posted Image

We can join together in eternal harmony!

Posted Image

Yay! I have a new best friend!

Posted Image

I turn to walk back into town, and that is when reality comes crashing down around me. The cow does not follow.

Posted Image

My friend he may be, and in the party he may also be, but nothing I can do can make him leave his pastoral paradise.

Gameplay note: I was so excited about this, I searched for literal hours online looking for the perfect cow picture. I debated with my buddy the merits of a cow Anti-paladin, or a cow Green Dragon Disciple (draconic heritage). Or a cow Monk. In the above screenshot you can see that the cow is a Dirgesinger, a bard class whose song curses enemies to have -1 to rolls. The cow has moooooos of doooooom! But I was stymied by a fatal flaw in the game engine, something that I did not know. Cows have no walking animations and cannot move :(.

I realize that some things are just not meant to be.

Posted Image

Posted Image You have to wait here. There is no room for you right now.

With tears in my eyes, I say goodbye. The cow seems to understand. Nevertheless, he sings a sad dirge of farewells and missed opportunities.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I set his AI to bard song when idle. Cow's gonna sing forever.

Then, my hopes and dreams for the future re-dashed, I stride right back to the Jovial Jugger and say in my new, old, deeper male voice, "Shar-Teel, Safana, get a move on. We have to find a lost dwarf."

Posted Image

Of course everyone in the room turns to stare at me, most of all Branwen and Xan. But I don't want to deal with this right now. I want to go melt something's face off. But first we stop by Thunderhammer Smithy to see if we can sell or buy anything. Taerom sees our Ankheg shell we picked up and gets excited.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I don't think I screenshotted it, but we did pick up an Ankheg shell from one of the chests in Castle Daerthmac.

Posted Image I'm not interested in selling it just now, though it would be to you if I do.

Posted Image A shame it is. It could bring quite a bit once finished. How about this; for 4,000 gold I'll make it into enchanted plate mail for you instead. It's half my normal rate for working on an exotic but, as I mentioned, business is slow. If you take me up on this, I won't need to buy any more shells for a long time.

Posted Image A fair price for the workmanship of Taerom Thunderhammer. 4,000 gold it is.

Posted Image Good on you. Now it will take me a while to finish, but you will soon have the finest armor in Beregost, if not the entire Sword Coast. Come back in a tenday and I'll have it ready for you.

A tenday from now is 13 Tarsakh. I mark it down in my journal. Surely we can find one dwarf boy before then, right? Thunderhammer also accepts CuChoinneach's shield.

Posted Image

After selling all the merely excellent weapons we collected, we teleport to the Armory to outfit Safana and Shar-Teel. When we get done with Shar-Teel, I am worried about her. She knows so little compared to the rest of us. I tell her to activate the Cloak of Displacement as often as possible.

Posted Image

I tell Safana to keep close to Bardo, and watch his back. Maybe they both can detect enough traps to keep them both alive.

Posted Image

And then, because we are here and because we can, Imoen and I sit down for another spell-scribing session with Firebead.

Posted Image

Posted Image Back to the party, I need your help.

We pour over the scrolls and spellbook we brought with us, and in the end, Firebead scribes scrolls of Wizard Eye, Domination, Minor Spell Turning, Phantom Blade, and Protection from Electricity for Imoen. He does the same for me, except he passes on Minor Spell Turning because I already learned it. And when we are done, we still have 3000 gold.

Ok. We are ready. Time to find a dwarf kid. We travel to the place I suspect Otho was talking about. On the way, we are ambushed by wild dogs.

#798 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

After they are all killed, I see a sight I have not witnessed in too many months.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image "One day," she announces gloomily, "One day, I'll gut you like a fish."

She does things to me, that woman. Does things inside. Not quite sure what they are, though. We keep going until we get to the spot.

Yes, here it is, most of the way to Nashkel. Prime ambush territory here.

Posted Image

We get to the spot where orcs most love to ambush, and there we stop. I should use my new spell, Wizard Eye, to see what's up.

Posted Image

Oh. Wow. That's quite the ambush.

Posted Image

Imoen and I are going to have to be devastating here. No holding back.

Posted Image

We can't even really see what we're attacking, and yet we do it still. I cast a Glyph of Wild Magic and Imoen a Fireball.

Posted Image

Then I move in as close as I dare to cast Skull Trap, and see some of the devastation that we are wreaking upon our foes.

Posted Image

The Skull Trap does even more damage, and then Imoen casts Slow.

Posted Image

Some may think this enough, but I am not in the mood to let orcs chase me around Faerun today. I use another Wand of Fire charge, and Imoen attacks with her Wand of Lightning.

Posted Image

An Orog strides towards us as the magical energies subside, and he is only Barely Injured. I throw a Random Spell II at him, and it lowers his resistance. Then Imoen throws another set of Lightning Bolts, and injures three more targets.

Posted Image

Then we retreat and let the melee characters deal with the Orog.

Posted Image

And when an Orc Priest shows up and tries to cast something, Imoen and I both let him have it with Magic Missiles.

Posted Image

He loses his spell, Shar-Teel chunks the Orog, and I cheer!

Posted Image

That is, until I see how many orcs survived our onslaught. Then I'm a little bit worried.

Posted Image

I drop another Glyph of Wild Magic on their asses and hope they choke on it.

Posted Image

It sounds like it's doing something.

Posted Image

Gah! Why don't these bastards just DIE!

Posted Image

Die! Burn! Fall!

Posted Image

Despite everything I do to them they are still around!

Posted Image

Attacking my companions!

Posted Image

Even my bunnies are powerless against them!

Posted Image

I give them a Word of Vile Discord.

Posted Image

Then I retreat to safety, and teleport back to my party.

Posted Image

When the stragglers inevitably come for us, I let them.

Posted Image

But the damnable Orc Mage, with his Improved Invisibility and Magic Missiles, is still a threat.

Posted Image

I dispel his everything and pray Shar-Teel can get a good hit in before she dies.

Posted Image

Then I notice the chaos blades floating around me, ready to be thrown, and I throw them. The bastard goes down.

Posted Image

We are bruised, battered, and spent, but we are not dead.

Posted Image

Shar-Teel and I both learn something important from this fight. She learns that two-handed sword users should charge in second.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I learn to cast Level 5 spells.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Because of all the equipment I have on that boosts spell memorization, I do not get just two level 5 spells, I get SIX!

Posted Image

I am going to start summoning things. Lots and lots of things.

As Imoen begins cleanup, she finds an orc corpse with six gems on it. This guy must have gotten them from one of the Glyphs of Wild Magic I threw. Ha!

Posted Image

I wonder if there are more like that? We follow the trail of dead bodies down the road. There is one straggler, but we put him down quick.

Posted Image

I'm kinda disappointed at the small amount of corpses near the beginning of the ambush. Did all my magical energies really kill so few?

Posted Image

When we finally make it to the campfire that seems to always be burning in this area, we don't find any dwarf children. We do see, however, a crack in the wall that could lead to a cave.

Posted Image

But we are tired, worn, and almost out of spells. What we need to do is rest.

#799 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

I teleport us to the Armory and we get cozy.

Posted Image

I get cozy with Rhialto's Spellbook.

Posted Image

Posted Image Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

Posted Image You spend some time, browsing through the book...

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Vortex".

Posted Image You succeed in learning the spell.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I have no idea how this spell is supposed to work but it sounds hella fun!

Posted Image

Posted Image Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Paithan's Lucky Streak".

Posted Image You try to learn the spell, but it's too difficult. You need more experience in the art before you can learn it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Random Spell III".

Posted Image You succeed in learning the spell.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: We know a few level 6 and 7 spells already, notably Cacofiend, which is Level 7. This Random Spell III could get real violent real fast.

Well, this seems like a good stopping place. We'll continue soon!

Edited by Usurper, 03 October 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#800 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

That is the best way you could possibly have sex changed yourself back. Wow.