Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#581 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

@Usurper Well, you shouldn't be surprised about Faldorn - BECAUSE SHE HAS A BLATANTLY OP KIT!!!!!!!!!!

Do you want me to prove that to you? Here it is, in all its overpoweredness.

More spells. More stats. Early avoid-death ability. Riddled with typos and grammar errors. Do you see it now? If you don't, then you are a bloody idiot who needs his head checked.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#582 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

That's kinda OP indeed. I disagree that heading to Baldur's Gate means continuing the main plot, there are a lot of side quests to be started there, including The Grey Clan, and I think NTotSC for mod stuff. Though I'd like to see how DSotSC goes with a relatively low-level party :D Which is the main reason i voted B.
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#583 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Now, now. Play nice everyone, let's not resort to name-calling.

#584 Argumentative

Argumentative
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yup, it is 'blatantly overpowered', still nowhere near as divine as Kivan's archer kit which subtly starts at 'Holy frack, what's this dude's THAC0!?' and ends at 'Did he just kill a demigod, a vampire a technical lich, some bald whiner and assorted results of Bhaal's strange fetishes without even moving from where is!?' levels! :P

Joking aside, I fail to see how that kit relates to a druid. It gives no ablities that are relevant to nature or anything that helps 'naturalize' world.

#585 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

I guess the Archer kit gets a pass from people because it was in the original game.

The benefits of the Shadowdruid kit aren't specifically related to nature, but they do work to create a single-class hybrid fighter/druid, which I guess makes sense because the Shadow Druids are more militant? I don't know. If you take away the extra spell slot and the stat gains, it seems balanced OK compared to a multiclass character, so I don't know why those are there.

Regardless, voting for a character just because the kit is OP, and we have a whole ton of fancy OP druid swag, seems kind of silly. I'm sure Faldorn has some more content that people would like to see because, honestly, who ever takes Faldorn into their party when they're playing a regular game.

Edited by AmyAE, 28 June 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#586 Aumanor

Aumanor
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I'll just see you people talk about op kits after next few near-total or just total party kills. Come on, we've been through hell already, and all signs indicate that the modders haven't even finished warming up yet. Haven't really had thet much experience with BG1 mods, but Vorgen mentionned that the game intends to throw A FUCKING DRAGON at our <10 average level party. "Imbalanced kits" aren't breaking the game, at this point, they're a prerequisite for survival.

#587 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

The dragon is not as big a deal as it seems, since right before you fight it you get

Spoiler

#588 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Well, Faldorn may be an OP kit, but she also has this strange problem of not coming with any spells at all. I had to make a normal druid and give her the spells that the normal druid gets manually. So the kit is kinda broken as well. Also, even if she is OP, remember that she died in the big fight against Davaeorn. So she's not invulnerable.

And also when it is time to go up against the dragon we also have Bjornin the Dragonslayer on staff. Let's not forget him!
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#589 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:15 AM

Oh, by the way, what do you guys think of installing a newer version of the Big World Project when I get to the end of Baldur's Gate? I could import Syvishtara into a new, updated BWP in Irenicus' dungeon and experience the latest updates of everything, including the Neverending Journey.
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#590 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Go ahead. That would sound like fun.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#591 Argumentative

Argumentative
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

Oh, by the way, what do you guys think of installing a newer version of the Big World Project when I get to the end of Baldur's Gate? I could import Syvishtara into a new, updated BWP in Irenicus' dungeon and experience the latest updates of everything, including the Neverending Journey.

Speaking of importing, I was wondering why you encourage people to vote for their favourites so they gain levels and be less likely to fall in the final fight for BG1? Won't everyone just magically re-appear in their allocated spots in Amn? Or will any deaths carry over in a continuous game?

And as for newer version, if you think that's best, I don't see why not. Also, some new stuff seems to have been released since you first started, so if you really want to show it all off, upgrading might be the way to go. I do envy your patience if you do, though :P

Edited by Argumentative, 29 June 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#592 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

No. Big World Project is a PITA to install and get working. If you've got it working now, I see no reason to change.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#593 Aumanor

Aumanor
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

On the topic of the final confrontation, will you treat all the NPCs that fall in the last battle as deader than disco, or just the ones that get gibbed? Since you say there will be a possibility to bring back Eldoth and Montaron (as tragically underlevelled cannon fodder for the last fight, this should be amusing) I figured that If one or more of our divine casters gets Raise Dead before that moment we can explain the reappearace of those who stay in one piece in the sequel by the cleric(s) being put on a several-week-long rezzing duty.

I'm also all for updating the game to the newest version. More imbalanced items and kits, even more imbalanced encounters and general modded-in wackiness.

On an unrelated topic, I see many people on both forums consider thieves redundant, what with priests' detect traps and mages' knock, especially since you don't seem to be too fond of backstabbing, but does a rogueless party have any means of safely disarming traps, or is it just "throw the guy with most hit points/best saving throws at it and hope the trap's damage isn't enough to kill/gib/it isn't a disintegration trap?

#594 -Sage-

-Sage-

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

And Imoen's Kit isn't OP? I've yet to see anyone else downvote her yet!

#595 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

As far as I know, the only way to disarm traps is with a rogue. Oh, and that is a good point about the final battle. If I raise Eldoth and Montaron again, then there's no reason why I can't raise everybody who dies in the final battle, making their deaths less apocalyptic. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't mess with Eldoth and Montaron.

Edited by Usurper, 29 June 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#596 Aumanor

Aumanor
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

My OCD tells me that raising them is the best option, since not doing it could potentially lock you out of some of the best original NPCs in BG2, and some of my favourites. And we'd lose the modded-in content for them, and one of the aims of this LP is to show it off, isn't it? Besides, I imagine that after all the changes introduced by your BWP the encounter should be brutal enough to leave many of the underliked and thus underleveled characters splattered all along the floor/ turned into dust by disintegration.

I made a quick check, and it seems that raise dead can't rez people who have been dead for more days than a caster has levels. So perhaps make it so we only resurrect as many people as possible within those restrictions, and leave the question of who gets bought back to life to the popular vote. Then again, that would mean that at this moment both Eldoth and Montaron are deader than the dodo. I don't think there's a chance any of our clerics gets Resurrection by the end of this game, now is there?

#597 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

With Eldoth and Montaron dead, the only thing you'll miss is getting Skie to join your party. It won't mess up anything in BG2.

WRT reinstalling BWP, do you mean importing your savegame, or exporting your character and starting a new game? Importing a savegame into a new install is a bad, bad idea, and exporting your character will erase any global variables that were set during BG1 and should be tracked in BG2.

What might work, especially for the whole idea of resurrecting everybody, is exporting the character, starting a new BG2 game, and then copying over all the globals from the old save except the ones that track character deaths.

#598 Daxs

Daxs
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Faldorn's kit has the limit to magical weapons and armor of a Wizard Slayer. Maybe it's a great kit NOW, but I don't think you want to fight some ToB level monsters.

Imoen's Kit on the other hand, as Sage mentioned, has NO disadvantages and everyone loves her.

Henceforth, I gotta agree, I'm a tad bored of her all the time.

Henceforth, for what it's not worth, -4 Imoen, +1 Finch

I have to have a +1 Finch in there. I just really want to get to see more than just Imoen all the time!

Also, B: we're in imminent and dire straits, do sidequests! Visit a certain burning alcohol named ruins!

Edited by Daxs, 30 June 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#599 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

It has been over 200 days since both Eldoth and Montaron have died. I think we cannot resurrect them with Raise Dead, and perhaps only with Resurrection or Wish. So yeah, they are probably deader than dead.

If I were to reinstall the BWP at the beginning of BG2, I would export my character and start a new game. That's the only real way I could do it. I realize that importing a save game into a new install won't work, sadly enough :(. Does anybody know which BG1 globals are relevant to BG2? It might be possible to copy them. I just don't know if its worth it.

#600 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

As far as I know, very few globals are tracked from BG1 to BG2. The exceptions are some character deaths (I'm not sure which ones, but I have had Viconia not show up in BG2 after I had to kill and respawn her in BG1 due to glitching) and certain BG2 variables that are set during BGT. Everything else, the major globals (romances, etc.) are set in dialogue when you first encounter NPCs, and the minor ones (e.g., which NPC was present during what important BG1 events and which NPCs knew each other from your party) are just guessed on.

In terms of your game, that means that the main thing you're concerned about is romance checks. Several romances (particularly the original Bioware ones) set the romance as a match if you have EVER met the conditions in BG1, even if you don't now. So if you leave the romance variables as they are, and stay a woman going into BG1, some female characters will romance you even if they never knew you as a man. You might want to carry those globals over if you consider them a feature and not a bug.

There's also the fact that the golden pantaloons show up in Chateau Irenicus if you had them in your inventory from BG1. I think you should be OK if they're in your inventory when you export the character, but if not it's not big deal to CLUA them in. Depending on what mods you installed, I think there are a couple of other items that are set to show up if you had them in BG1.

The only others I can think of are the globals that control whether Haiass and your pack mule are waiting for you somewhere or following you. I don't know what you're planning on doing with them, story-wise.

If I were you, though, I wouldn't trust me not to have missed something important. [EDIT: And actually I just remembered something important just now: there are globals tracking whether you've faced Rhialto in BG1, as well as local variables that track how far you've gotten in his spellbook.] That's why I suggested just copying everything; it's probably easier and safer than trying to figure out which variables are important and getting them wrong.

Edited by AmyAE, 01 July 2012 - 12:57 AM.