Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#521 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

The other good thing that happens this fight is that I can finally clearly understand what is going on.

Posted Image

They have Imoen. They have an Imeon willingly following them around with only 6 hit points. That means Fireballs and Glyphs of Warding are out. That even means that Dispel Magics are risky. If it dispels the Dire Charm everyone around her would turn on her instantly and she would be dead. She needs to disappear the moment she is back on our side.

Faldorn and Viconia are alone up top, and have a few minutes to prepare. I am alone down below, and I can cast Dispel Magic. If I can dispel all the crap surrounding these magelings and Viconia and Faldorn can rush in and clean up, we might have a chance.

I also have this Nymph Cloak. It has an ability that I have never used, Blinding Beauty. Supposedly it can blind everyone in a 15 foot radius once a day. Maybe I should rush in, blind everyone, and then the ladies should beat them down. Dare I risk it?

I dare.

There are a few breaks for our side, too. The Sphere of Chaos is still active, and I notice that it has caused Imoen to fall asleep and Rezdan to be temporarily frozen.

Posted Image

Also, one of Faldorn's Dire Wolves is still alive and is harrying the mages. The Ogre Berserker that is protecting one mage has just lost his berserk state and he looks weak. Now is the time to strike!

Posted Image

As I rush up, preparing to flash my cloak at everyone, I notice something even funnier. Rezdan is wasting spells on the Dire Wolf!

Posted Image

There is someone I forgot to calculate for in my assessment - the fighter Drasus. I only notice him when he doesn't get blinded by my cloak. Shit!

Posted Image

I run away, trying to separate him from his mage and ogre berserker. It works. I try to cast Horror at him from a scroll. That doesn't work.

Posted Image

Ouch! At the exact same time, Faldorn and Viconia have engaged Rezdan. He responds with Color Spray, lowering Faldorn's magic resistance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Down south where I am, I manage to run away a little bit more and cast Animate Dead. Hopefully this skeleton will be able to distract Drasus while I Dweomer him to death.

Posted Image

Faldorn and Viconia are trying to beat down that one mage, I guess. I'm losing track of them. For myself, just on the edge of sight I see a spell come flying at me. It is Blindness, and it doesn't work. Kysus is back in action!

Posted Image

The skeleton is distracting Drasus, so I reach for the Weave in the reckless way that Nahal discovered. I beg, I plead, I pull, I tug.

Posted Image

Posted Image

FUUUUUCKKKKK!!!!

Posted Image

But at least there is good news from up north. Imoen suddenly walks away from Rezdan, turns after ten paces, and embeds an Ice Arrow into his left eye. He falls, dead as a gibberling. God I love that girl.

Posted Image

But a second later I am struck at the heart. We are all struck at the heart. Faldorn is on her way to heal Imoen back to full health with a Cure Moderate Wounds spell, and is just half a step away from it, when an arrow of fire streaks out of the trees and strikes her down.

Posted Image

The treacherous Kysus, whom I thought was attacking me or lost in the confusion of the Sphere of Chaos/Teleport Field, is instead a cowardly, dishonorable, little sniveling shitstain of a sniper. Both Viconia and Faldorn turn on him, bestial screams of fury forced through bared teeth.

For my part, the only thing I can do is suck a little life out of Drasus.

Posted Image

Viconia tanks Kysus for a bit while Faldorn calls forth insects upon him. Viconia gets a flame arrow to the face for her trouble.

Posted Image

I hope it is the last flame arrow Kysus ever casts. For myself, I can do nothing but run right now. Drasus is chasing me with a cursed weapon and I am low on health. Thankfully, Kysus can also only run. He tries to run into the water to shake off the insects, but that doesn't work.

Posted Image

I get enough of a lead in front of Drasus that I can heal myself.

Posted Image

As I come back to the bridge, there is a little bad and a little good. The bad is that there's still an ogre berserker alive, and the good is that I find Coran's corpse, and on it two Potions of Invisibility.

Posted Image

I drink a potion and breathe a sign of relief as Drasus and the ogre berserker lose track of me. And then I grin a fierce grin as I hear a shout of victory from the north!

Posted Image

Drasus and the ogre berserker go after the only thing they can see - my pack mule - and I finally have a chance to test out my new spell.

Posted Image

If this somehow ends up with my pack mule killing Drasus life will be a sweet nectar that I will sip forever content.

Posted Image

But no, it is time to end this. We will destroy everything down there and sort them out later.

Posted Image

My fireball doesn't break through Drasus' magic resistance, but Faldorn's Hold Person or Animal does!

Posted Image

Viconia's Glyph of Warding gets through Drasus' defenses, but my second Fireball doesn't.

Posted Image

Faldorn's Sunscorch doesn't do anything either.

Posted Image

Viconia calls her holy weapon to her, the Disc of Night, and begins throwing it at Drasus. As a chakram, it comes back. Somehow. I'm not sure how, but it is damn effective. Also, Faldorn simply wields the scimitar single-handed and hacks away.

Posted Image

I get a little extra with my Random Missiles.

Posted Image

The gnoll elites that come help us with the final grisly moments of Drasus' life.

Posted Image

Finally, we are victorious. I look around at what we have done. I think I am still in shock. But Faldorn doesn't even seem to care about the dead, or the loot, or what comes next. What she cares about is me.

Posted Image

The monks did lie to me a hell of a lot...

Posted Image Of course. But now I can think for myself, finally!

Posted Image Ah! You are not as hopeless as the rest of the townlings. I feel good about us hunting together.

Is that what this was? A hunt? With half our party dead and flies everywhere? I am not sure I can stomach this forever.

Gameplay note: First try no reloads kick-ass epic battle! Woot! Now, we are lost and alone, at half strength deep within the Cloakwood. We will have to clean up, go home, and come back again with Kagain, Xan, and Skeezer Lumpkin IV to kick some more ass. I'm definitely looking forward to it, and I hope you are too! I'm quite sad that Imoen died, though. She was doing well in her mageling studies. We'll have to pick up those again after we kill everyone in this mine and advance to Chapter 6. That is, if you vote her back into the party of course ;).

Edited by Usurper, 20 June 2012 - 10:39 PM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#522 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Posted Image

14 Nightal, 1369
feye
So we're a half-dead party of adventurers deep in the center of the Cloakwood with dead bodies all around us. Time to loot and get the hell out of here.

Posted Image

Drasus' fallen body is closest, so Viconia bends over it first. She finds a scroll and passes it to me.

Posted Image

Another goddamn mercenary. The Iron Throne must have the best merc connections in the entire Sword Coast. Viconia goes through the rest of the equipment on him. She finds an Excellent Morning Star, the Chaos Flail, a Medium Shield +2 called Heart of the Dragon, and a Girdle of Bluntness.

Posted Image

This flail is obviously the cursed weapon Drasus was wielding. It cannot be removed once wielded without a Remove Curse spell. If we ever have an evil flail-user it might be useful for them, but still the weapon gives me bad vibes. Perhaps we should just sell it.

Posted Image

This looks like a great shield for a warrior to wield - perhaps better than the Shield of Falling Stars that we have on the mule now. Unfortunately none of us alive now can use it so we cannot test out its effectiveness. But undoubtedly someone else in the Jovial Juggler will be able to give it a test run.

The Girdle of Bluntness is exactly the same as our other one, giving a bonus against blunt weapons.

Done with Drasus' body forever, we move on. For some reason we find a Studded Leather Armor +1 lying in the middle of the path, next to the bridge. I think that was Coran's armor. We cautiously walk further north to the corpses of the mages, now silenced forever. One of them has a Robe of Cold Resistance.

Posted Image

And the other was wearing a Traveler's Robe.

Posted Image

He also has a spare scroll of Fire Shield Red. When I try to store his robe on the mule, it won't fit. Our mule is completely full. It looks like we are going to have to do some rearranging when we get back to town.

But before we do that, there is one set of equipment left to get. It is Minsc's equipment near his body. And it is probably still within sight of the archers that killed him. I don't want anybody else to have to make up for my mistake, so I do this myself. I drink the last Potion of Invisibility.

Posted Image

And then I am simply able to walk past the remaining guard and over to Minsc's things.

Posted Image

My fireball hand is really, really itchy. But first I see if I can pick up his things. I am able to pick up everything except for the 7 wyvern heads he was carrying.

Posted Image

I decide to come back for them. But when I do, my Potion of Invisibility wears off and I get hit with a few arrows before I notice!

Posted Image

One part of me says to run away, but the other part says FIREBALL! I listen to the other part.

Posted Image

When I run back across the bridge, Viconia and Faldorn jump into action immediately. Faldorn casts Entangle on the far side of the bridge, and Viconia gives us all a Chant.

Posted Image

I drink a healing potion and then use a scroll to add a Web to Faldorn's Entangle. Faldorn takes care of the guard that was trailing me.

Posted Image

Then, foolishly, she runs through the Entangle/Web and tries to draw the black talon elites into it. She does not succeed.

Posted Image

I feel that it is time to leave. We have a long journey ahead of us.

Posted Image

A long journey full of running away from spiders.

Posted Image

When we finally reach Beregost, it seems as though we have come from another world. We stumble into the Song of the Morning temple and begin the resurrections. Minsc alone takes all of our initial cash.

Posted Image

I sell two of the wyvern heads for 500 gold, and also get rid of that cursed flail for 2375 gold! With those sold, I'm able to raise both Imoen and Coran with 1300 gold to spare. No sooner does Coran return from the dead then he starts babbling.

Posted Image

Posted Image If you were in my shoes, you'd be concerned.

Posted Image Do you see what I am getting at? Plenty of poor sods have it worse than you, so why be so uptight about it?

Posted Image It's better to be carefree, than preoccupied; and it's better to be full, than hungry; and of course it's better to do good rather than evil.

Posted Image My foster father was killed, and every assassin in these parts makes brisk business trying to get my head before the hordes of monsters. Now, can you point out anyone worse off than me?

Posted Image Any number of less fortunate are out there, friend. Why, you helped a dozen or so of them out!

Posted Image Come, my grumpy friend, let us fearlessly rejoice that the gods gave us sharp swords, sweet wines and the favors of beauties! And then our luck shall never run out, no matter what that old stump Thalantyr says.

Let us rejoice indeed, in the comfort of the Jovial Juggler. We all need a vacation, methinks. When we get there, we have some drinks, have some laughs, and have some much-needed rest. Then, I talk with Imoen, Minsc, and Coran.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Why is everyone always so sad to leave, when I get them nothing but killed? They must be just being polite. I look around the room, contemplating my next move. I need bruisers, I need thugs. I need people that can clear a room and ask for more. I need... my eyes catch Xan's from across the room.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Nothing quite so gruesome, though I do have need of your skills once again.

Posted Image Then I shall do my best for you, though I am sure we both know that the worst is inevitable.

Posted Image Since we may fall to the wrath of our overwhelming foes any minute now, there is something I want to say to you, while I am still alive.

Posted Image You are as beautiful as hope, and just as elusive. Truly, you are the last ray of the bright glow of our people's twilight.

Posted Image I do not have words to convince you, Xan, but there is hope... I promise, there is hope.

Posted Image There is none. Look for yourself; is not it a sure sign that the world is truly ending, if the most beautiful of women walks with a bounty upon her head, and none can avert her dark fate?

Posted Image Xan, I do not know if I can make you believe me, but I am sure that my fate is far brighter than you think. How can it not be, when I have such a companion as Xan of Evereska by my side?

Posted Image For what little it is worth, you have my sword and my magic at your disposal.

Posted Image *Xan gives you a half-adoring, half-wistful look you are so familiar with. He does not stop at that, however...*

Posted Image *He slowly takes your hand, caressing your palm as he speaks.* I was a fool, Syvishtara. I thought myself hopelessly enamoured of Death, while in reality Death proved to be my worst rival: the one I will never be able to defeat however I try. What do we do? How shell we live, with love, but without hope?

Posted Image *Kiss Xan on the lips, quickly and lightly.*

Posted Image Syvishtara... you wield strong remedial powers indeed. But I beg of you, do not abuse it, or I shall lose the last morsels of sense I possess.

Wow, Xan is so ... elven. And intense. He always puts butterflies in my stomach. His emotions are so much more pure than anyone else's. He's a true elf. I wish I could be like him!

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#523 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

I keep looking around the room, trying to decide who to take with me. I know the right choice as soon as my eyes fall on him - Kagain!

Posted Image

Posted Image You'll not "suffer" long if yo keep up that attitude. Get in step Kagain, we've business to attend to.

Posted Image Straight to the point. I respect that. Let's go.

Posted Image My caravan's destroyed, and the Silvershield's pop is dead. Here's a fine to-do! Th' last o' me funds is a kite's breakfast 'n' me customer ain't gonna be one whit pleased by it!

Posted Image Unfortunate. What will you do now?

Posted Image Well, I could go home 'n' starve whilst bein' reproached by the bereefed next o' kin. Or I could stay out 'n' repay them iron boys a bit o' what I owes 'em.

Posted Image In that case, our goals are the same. We can pursue them together if you would.

Posted Image So says I. Ye be at least as fine a target fer they arrows 'n' spells as what I am.

I remember the two mages who we just went up against, and how much havoc they wreaked. I think we need that kind of power with us too, and so there is only one person I can ask - Skeezer Lumpkin VI. He is the most competent mage in this place, aside from me of course.

Posted Image

Posted Image Your suggestion is a good one. Welcome back, Skeezer.

Then I have some words with Kagain and decide hat it is time for a complete equipment overhaul. Kagain seems to be the expert on this, what with his experience in running a shipping company. He and I get into a very intense discussion about the equipment that we all have. He insists in stripping everybody of everything and going for a complete inventory. I reluctantly agree. He insists on alphabetical order for everything, starting with Amulets, then Armor, Belts, Boots, Cloaks, Gauntlets, Helmets, Rings, Robes, Shields, Weapons, and finally Weapons, Ranged. I shrug and give him full access to the mule and the chest in the back of the Jovial Juggler. He gets busy.

After a few minutes of banging, cussing, and mule yells, he gives me a list of all the Amulets we have:
    1 Ankh of Acceptance
    1 Amulet of Protection +1
    1 Eddard Silvershield's Fibula (nonmagical)
Not a long list. If Viconia uses the Ankh of Acceptance, she gets an extra level 1 spell. But if Faldorn uses it, she gets an extra level 4 spell. We assign the Ankh to Faldorn.

We give the Amulet of Protection +1 to Xan. With 15 hit points, he needs all the protection he can get.

Finally, Kagain takes Eddard Silvershield's Fibula himself, to remind himself to give it to the Silvershields if we ever get to Baldur's Gate.

Next, Kagain digs into the mountain of inventory looking for Armor. He produces a list a few hours later:
    1 Armor of Thorns (AC0)
    5 Chain Mail +1 (AC4)
    1 Crystal Plate Mail (AC1)
    1 Ebon Plate (AC1)
    1 Full Plate Mail (AC1)
    1 Full Plate Mail +2 (AC-1)
    1 Leather Armor +3 (AC5)
    1 Nature's Divine (AC2)
    5 Studded Leather Armor +1 (AC6)
    1 Shadow Armor +3 (AC4)
    1 Stormcloud Kraken's Bane (AC0)
    1 Woodland Armor (AC1)
Kagain takes the Full Plate Mail +2 for himself. Faldorn puts the Stormcloud Kraken's Bane back on. Xan finds the Woodland Armor and his eyes widen in surprise. He puts it on immediately. And Viconia continues to use her Crystal Plate Mail. And, surprisingly enough, Skeezer Lumpkin takes the Shadow Armor +3. He can use it, it provides a bonus to hide in shadows, and it doesn't interfere with spellcasting at all. Kagain and I think that the magical Chain Mail +1 and the magical Studded Leather Armor +1 would be good to equip a small army, should we ever need one, so we decide to hang onto them. We pack them and the rest of the leftover armor back onto the mule. Well, except for the non-magical Full Plate Mail. We mark that for sale.

Next up is Belts. Kagain mutters to himself about fat tall people, and produces the belts that we have:
    2 Girdle of Bluntness
    1 Girdle of Cognizance
    1 Girdle of Piercing
After thinking for a bit, it is probable that the melee fighters need the Girdles of Bluntness the most, so they go to Kagain and Xan. I take the Girdle of Piercing for myself in hopes that less arrows will interrupt my spellcasting. And the Girdle of Cognizance goes to the most lore-wise among us, which is now Skeezer Lumpkin VI. He puts the belt on and boosts her lore to 56. We have a new loot mistress!

Five pairs of Boots are up next:
    1 Boots of Speed
    1 Boots of the Forest
    1 Boots of the Forgotten Ones
    1 Boots of the North
    1 Gnomish Boots
The recipients of the boots are obvious. Kagain, the main tank, gets the Boots of Speed so that he can get into melee the fastest. The Boots of the Forest go to Faldorn, and the Boots of the Forgotten Ones go to Viconia. I'm worried for Xan in his melee fight, so I give him th Gnomish Boots that give him Free Action. And I take the Boots of the North for myself. Again I am thinking of all the many Ice Arrows I've been subjected to in the Cloakwood.

Kagain seems to be in a better mood by the time we get to Cloaks. He must be impressed with all this loot we have. We go through the cloaks:
    1 Cloak of Non-detection
    1 Cloak of Protection +1
    1 Cloak of the Shield
    1 Cloak of the Wolf
    1 Cloak of the Woods
    1 Nymph Cloak

Six cloaks and six party members. However, the Cloak of the Woods can only be used by rangers, so that's out. I give the Cloak of Protection +1 to Kagain, since Xan can't use it due to his amulet. I take the Cloak of the Shield for myself, and give the Nymph Cloak to Xan, which raises his charisma to 18. Viconia has done excellently with the Cloak of the Wolf, so I give it back to her. And Skeezer Lumpkin VI gets the Cloak of Non-detection.

While Kagain is taking inventory, Xan approaches me.

Posted Image

Posted Image Neither can I resist the temptation to be alone with you for a few moments.

Posted Image *after slipping away* Thank you, Syvishtara.

Posted Image *You wait for Xan to continue.*

Posted Image ...
Gameplay note: Here there is an option to either say something or do a little ... of your own.

Posted Image Xan? You were saying?

Posted Image *Xan suddenly stops and closes his eyes. When he first speaks, the words tumble out, but gradually his speech slows and his voice quiets, becoming no more than a whisper.*

Posted Image Syvishtara... More and more often I find myself lamenting not my upcoming death, but the dread of dying without knowing how your lips taste.

Posted Image *Lift yourself on tip-toe and gently kiss Xan.*

Posted Image Oh, Syvishtara... your lips are like cream...

Posted Image Oh... I was expecting honey or sweet wine... but cream is good, too.

Posted Image *A look of concern reappears on Xan's face.* I should have been wiser than to do something as dangerous and unpredictable as kissing a woman.

Posted Image *whispers* Let us go, my gentle torment, let us go, my sweet misery.

When I get back, Kagain tells me that Gauntlets are up next. He gets to sorting, and actually cracks a smile. He gives me a report:

1 Gauntlets of Power Attacks
    1 Gift of the Woods AC0
    1 Gift of the Woods AC2
He takes the Gauntlets of Power Attacks, and Faldorn takes the Gift of the Woods AC0 version. She tries them out a bit, and I realize that she can now perform 2 attacks in the same time it takes her to perform 1 of them without the gauntlets. Interesting. The other Gift of the Woods goes onto the mule.

Kagain is all business now. Helms are up next:
    1 Crown of the Archdruid
    1 Crystal Helm +1AC
    2 Helm of Glory
    1 Helm of Mind Warding
    1 Skeezer Lumpkin's 'Dwarven' War Helmet
Faldorn of course takes the Crown of the Archdruid. Viconia gets the Crystal Helm to match her Crystal Plate Mail. Kagain and Xan both get Helms of Glory for their melee fighting. Skeezer chooses to keep her helmet. And, unfortunately, the Helm of Mind Warding can only be used by good-aligned fighters, rangers, and clerics, and we don't have any of those, so it goes on the mule.

Kagain's eyes glitter when we go over the Rings:
    1 Bard's Ring
    1 Ring of Energy
    1 Ring of Fire Resistance
    1 Ring of Fire Shielding
    1 Ring of Protection +1
    1 Ring of Protection +2
    1 Ring of Regeneration
    1 Traveler's Ring
The Bard's ring and Traveler's Ring are bard-only, so they go back on the mule. Kagain and Xan can't use Rings of Protection due to other magical equipment, so I get the Ring of Protection +2 and Skeezer gets the Ring of Protection +1. I also take the Ring of Energy, because I like it. Faldorn takes the Ring of Fire Shielding, because she is the only one who can. And Xan takes the Ring of Fire Resistance - with his Moonblade giving resistance to fire as well he is now completely immune, along with Faldorn. Kagain's gladiator training gives him 45% resistance to fire as well. With a front line fully immune to fire I could cast fireballs all day e'ry day. Perhaps there is something Kagain can use to help with that.

While I am contemplating Kagain's fire resistance, Xan comes up to me again, his face serious.

Posted Image

Posted Image You are in love, and you are loved - and still you found no joy. Is it indeed hopeless? Are my feelings in vain?

Posted Image I know now why a man does not choose to fall in love. The pain... the uncertainty... the madness of love can only be bestowed upon by merciless Hanali Celanil.

Posted Image Some think differently.

Posted Image They do not think! They are like moths attracted to candlelight. Oh, surely, the bards dress their folly into pretty words and make others believe that it is a noble pain. But there is nothing noble in rushing head first into the pyre.

Posted Image But we have already jumped into the blaze. Now all we can do is to burn as brightly as we can.

Posted Image Clever words, Syvishtara. You have always been clever, but clever words do not change the nature of things. We are courting disaster.

Posted Image Give me one reason why we should succeed where countless others have failed.

Posted Image Because we are brilliant, young, and gorgeous!

Posted Image Nonsense, but when you say it, it sounds portentous. I will have to think about your words.

After rings are Robes. Kagain snickers a bit as he takes inventory of our 'dresses':
    1 Adventurer's Robe
    1 Knave's Robe
    1 Robe of Cold Resistance
    2 Robe of Fire Resistance
    1 Robe of the Good Archmagi
    1 Skeezer Lumpkin's Mage Robe
    1 Traveler's Robe

Skeezer declines to wear a robe. She prefers the increased protection that the Shadow Armor +3 provides. For myself, I take the Traveler's Robe. The increased movement speed and tirelesness will be great. The rest of the robes go on the mule.Gameplay note: Thalantyr can make a good mage robe for us if we bring one of each kind of robe and some other stuff, like money. We will have to stop by and ask him about the recipe, but we definitely can't do it now because we're still broke.

Kagain next appraises our Shield selection:
    1 Buckler +1
    1 Large Shield +1 (+5AC)
    1 Medium Shield +1 (+3AC)
    1 Medium Shield +2: Heart of the Dragon (+4AC)
    1 Shield of the Falling Stars +1 (+5AC)
    1 Teddy Bear of Protection +2, +4 vs. Demons (+2AC)
Xan takes the Heart of the Dragon, because it has almost the same effects as the Shield of the Falling Stars and doesn't require strength-boosting magic for him to wield. It boosts his hit points up to 25 from 15. Kagain then takes the Shield of the Falling Stars, and it boosts his hit points to 42. I take up my Teddy Bear, and the leftover shields go onto the mule.

We are about to continue when Faldorn starts shouting for no reason.

Posted Image

But apparently Kagain is too busy sorting through all our Weapons to notice or care. There are a ton of weapons lying around, and it takes Kagain quite a long time to sort through them all.

Axes, 1-handed
    2 Battle Axe +1
    2 Svirfneblin Pickaxe
Axes, 2-handed
    1 Dwarven War Axe +2: Screaming Death
    1 Pole Axe +2: Kilther
Clubs
    1 Club +2
    1 Elgenon's Bramble
Daggers
    1 Dagger +2: Heart of the Golem
    10 Throwing Dagger
Flails
    1 Flail +2
    1 Flail +3: Flaming Death
    1 Chaos Rage
Katanas/Wakizashis
    1 Wakizashi
Long Swords
    1 Moonblade
    1 Spider's Bane
    1 Sword of Flame +2
    2 Varscona +2
Maces/Morningstars
    1 Excellent Morning Star
    1 Mace
    1 Poison Ivy +2
Scimitars
    1 Cutlass +2: O-Tokne's Fang
    1 Excellent Scimitar
    1 Scimitar +2
    1 Scimitar +3: Yarrow's Tears
Short Swords/Ninja-tos
    1 Ninja-to +2
    1 Scimitar +2+1D6 electrical damage (I don't know why)
Spears
    1 Halberd +3: The Stunner
    1 Spear +2
    1 Spear +2 +1 attack per round
    1 Spear +3: Dragon Scepter
    1 Spear of Fire
Staffs
    4 Excellent Quarter Staff
    1 Quarter Staff +2: Bonebreaker
    1 Serpent Shaft +3
    1 Skeezer's Staff of Unpredictability
Two-handed Swords
    1 Flame of the North +2
    1 Two-handed Sword +3: Khazid's Death
I take up my customary Sword of Flame +2 immediately. Kagain, as a dwarf, perfers axes, and 1-handed ones, since he has a great shield. He picks up a Svirfneblin Pickaxe, because it is slightly better than the other axes we have. Faldorn has training in clubs, maces, and 2-weapon style. But Yarrow's Tears still calls to her, so she takes up the scimitar in the off-hand. For her main hand she must choose between poison and confusion, and in the end she goes with the confusing Club +2. Xan, of course, wields his Moonblade. Viconia doesn't have any other option than an Excellent Morning Star. Hmm. I might have to fix that later. And Skeezer chooses to keep her Staff of Unpredictability, but also to take the Serpent Shaft in case she gets to backstab someone. The non-magical and merely excellent weapons we mark for sale.

Finally, we come to the last set of inventory, Ranged Weapons. Kagain presents a final list to me:
    1 Composite Long Bow
    1 Composite Long Bow +2
    111 Darts
    1 Excellent Long Bow
    1 Short Bow +1
    2 Sling +1
    1 Strength Long Bow +3: Vibradeath
    1 Strong Arm +2 (longbow)
    1 Tuigan Bow +1 (shortbow)
I split the darts with Skeezer. Viconia and Xan take the slings. And Faldorn and Kagain choose to go without ranged weapons. Once again, we mark the non-magical equipment to be sold.

I look over everyone and everything, and make one tiny adjustment. I ask Viconia and Kagain to switch helmets. That brings Kagain's fire resistance up to 65%, which is suitable for surviving fireballs. I'm going to start sending in Faldorn, Xan, and Kagain and then Fireballing them. We will be unstoppable!

My front line:

The level 7 Faldorn:
Posted Image

The level 3 Kagain:
Posted Image

The level 4 Xan:
Posted Image

And my rear line:

Myself at level 6:
Posted Image

The level 5 Viconia:
Posted Image

The level 4 Skeezer Lumpkin VI:
Posted Image

The Cloakwood Mines shall fall to us.

#524 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image

18 Nightal, 1369

After selling all of the equipment that we don't need, and the remaining wyvern heads, we have 3988 gold! Hopefully it won't disappear any time soon.

Since we're in Beregost, we stop by Firebead Elvenhair's house to see how the old guy is doing. We tell him of our adventures and let him take some of our baubles.

Posted Image

He limits himself to three pieces of our loot. He still seems to have the same disposition for us after, but he must change his mind soon. I can feel it!

Posted Image

Then, anxious to be on our way, we head off back to the mines.

Posted Image

Along the way we encounter bandits...

Posted Image

Posted Image

wyverns...

Posted Image

Posted Image

and hostile dwarves.

Posted Image

But we arrive relatively intact. We spend the night in Shaundakul's Sanctuary, and in the morning we are ready to re-assault the Cloakwood Mines.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image But of course, Xan. Show me.

Posted Image *Without further ado, he leads you away across the camp, coming to halt in front of an expansive oak tree, tiered with an unbroken roof of dark-green foliage. Xan does not stop to regard it, but bends down, peering intently underneath, and you see it, too: among the high mosses and scattered fascicles of grass, several tender, pale purple blossoms, fragile as forms of tinted ice, are raising their heads to the bright, quiet morning sun.*

Posted Image *Xan touches your hand and starts speaking quietly, never taking his gaze from the blossoms.* They have just risen from the dead. The faintest flame, subtle fragrance, and vulnerable fragility... it is rare to find such glory in these lands. I dared not pick it up and kill it, but if I could hold this raw beauty, at least for a moment, I would. *sigh* However, it is not more possible than possessing starlight, or the wisps of the wind. We are but guests and pale shadows here, and when we are gone, the eternity is not even likely to notice.

Posted Image But while we have this moment, this brief little space in infinity, I will not waste it. Perhaps I will die today, this hour, this moment. Or perhaps, just perhaps, I will live. But regardless of death and life and danger, I love you. You are more of a miracle than these flowers, if just as fugitive. I love you, Syvishtara.

Posted Image *sigh* But I have kept you long enough. Let us return and face the day... and pray that it will not turn out to be our last.

Did I sense a note of optimism in Xan's voice? I hope so, for we will need it. It is time to take over the other half of the Cloakwood Mine fort.

We reach the fort's bridge and I ask Skeezer to check the place out. He does. I hope he can handle it.

Posted Image

He sees a couple of elite archers standing guard, and a door that we could check out.

Posted Image

We rush in, all fire and fury, and they never even know what hits them.

Posted Image

A few more Black Talon Elites show up north of our position, so I give them a little fireball action.

Posted Image

Awww yeeah!

Posted Image

But they are not stupid. They retaliate.

Posted Image

I will not be denied, however. I retreat, get healed by Viconia, and return for round 2!

Posted Image

After that, their ranks thin out considerably.

Posted Image

Xan is so dreamy in his bright pink armor and blazing blue sword.

Posted Image

Faldorn takes out a little rage herself.

Posted Image

And even I get a kill with Meta Infernum!

Posted Image

And Skeezer comes from behind with the sneaky Acid Arrow to get the final kill.

Posted Image

I think that there might be fighting in the door to the north. It looks like a barracks. I tell the melee fighters - Faldorn, Kagain, and Xan - to get in there and kill things. They nod and disappear through the door.

Posted Image

Genthore ran away here during the previous fight! I thought there was supposed to be another fighter around somewhere. Kagain pops an Oil of Speed and Faldorn begins to summon animals.

Posted Image

But Genthore and one of the guards slip past them and just run outside... to us!

Posted Image

He pops a potion as all our magic flies at him.

Posted Image

Skeezer's Chromatic Orb seems to do nothing, but I hit him with 7 magic missiles. They look like they hurt.

Posted Image

I hear the growl of animals come from the barracks. Faldorn must be busy.

Posted Image

Viconia finishes her spell, and a Glyph of Warding explodes all over Genthore and the Black Talon General next to him.

Posted Image

Faldorn, Kagain, and Xan run out the door of the barracks to help us out. I suppose they thought the wolves they left in there were enough to take care of business. I open my mouth to give them some direction when GAHH! You would not believe how much an Ice Arrow to the face hurts at point-blank range.

Posted Image

Reflexively, I reach out my hand and rip some of the life out of the Black Talon General. Then I run.

Posted Image

While I'm running, Viconia's Hold Person hits Genthore, and he is frozen. The General focuses on Skeezer and hits him a deep blow with his bow. Then Kagain knocks him down and he slides across the ground a few feet. GO DWARVES!

Posted Image

Faldorn takes him out, practically saving my life.

Posted Image

Then without mercy or reprieve, we beat down Genthore while he is still held, just like we took out his buddy Drasus. I feel no regrets.

Posted Image

Viconia watches us all take advantage of our handiwork with a satisfied smile on her face. Then the smile breaks into realization. She must be becoming closer to Shar!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: 55,000 xp to level 7? Man, this game is killing me.

As soon as the battle is over...

Posted Image

Posted Image *He gently takes your hand, his fingers intertwining with yours, and you walk arm in arm.*

We walk over to see what the Black Talon Elite General was wearing. It is a Splint Mail +1 and another Varscona +2. Those Sharran priests were really industrious with their Varscona blades. I wonder if Viconia knows anything about that.

Then Skeezer checks out Genthoe's corpse. He's got 15 throwing axes, which Kagain snaps up. He's also got Fallorain's Plate.

Posted Image

Pretty nice, I guess, if you're into armor that is magical in name only. He has one more thing that looks really fun, though. He's got a Boomerang Dagger!

Posted Image

It'll be great for someone who can use daggers. Lots of people use them. Heck, Xzar uses them even! We go back into the barracks to see what the dire wolves have done in our absence. It turns out they haven't done anything, but we help them finish up.

Gameplay note: I guess summoned creatures don't exist if you're not there to look at them.

Posted Image

Skeezer gets to work on the chests in the area, although he has to pop a potion to do it.

Posted Image

In one of the chests is another Spear +3: Dragon Scepter. We put it with the other one.

We are about to leave when Skeezer lets us know that there is a second floor.

Posted Image

We all decide to check it out together.

#525 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

No need to be incautious.

Posted Image

I have had enough killing for today, so I simply nod and let him go. He'll probably get torn apart by druids anyhow. Skeezer starts to cackle when he sees all the chests.

Posted Image

There are only normal weapons in them, but each one has some gold. There is about 300 gold altogether. Not bad for a few minutes' work.

Back outside, before we cross the second bridge, there is what looks to be a storehouse. We decide to check it out too.

Posted Image

We end up scaring the beweeevus out of one Sellanio.

Posted Image

Posted Image All right now... just kidding... Since I have been told to move here, I can meet only those man-at-arms of Daevorn, so you make a little change anyway... For sure you are brought here 'cause he shakes with fear of some group... I'm sure - whoever they are - they are smart enough to keep far away from the woods like this. You know, druids, spiders, savages, the only thing we miss here are the bearded women and flying rabbits. If you have something to exchange, then let's do it, for I never finish putting these things in order...

He shows me what he has for sale. It is an extremely limited inventory. I'm surprised it's not already in order. He sells Potions of Agility, Antidotes, Genius, Infravision, and Mind Focusing. He also sells scrolls of Grease, Friends, Identify, Protection from Evil, Clairvoyance, and Break Enchantment. Um... actually, I don't have Clairvoyance, and neither does Skeezer. Skeezer is also lacking Grease, Protection from Evil, and Break Enchantment. I'm almost ready to buy all of those spells, when I think again. I really want to save up for some boots from Nashkel. I hold on to my money. Kagain notices and pipes up.

Posted Image

Posted Image Oh? What knack is that?

Posted Image Why, of minding other folks' business and making it pay. Ain't a finer trade in the land than that.

Posted Image I don't intend to keep an accounting ledger on this. Any goods will be used to further our efforts or sold for gear, which we will surely need before long.

Posted Image 'Tis the right way of making good in the world, doubling up your investments time and again. I just hopes we can cash out in good style by the end.

Hey, that sounds like a good idea to me! We go back outside and brave the bridge. Of course there is a Black Talon Elite guarding the bridge. I decide to use a reckless dweomer to cast a spell I don't often cast...

Posted Image

Stupid archers and their stupid ranged attacks. I'll show them ranged attacks!

Posted Image

Oh. Oops? We end up having to pelt him to death with bullets and darts and throwing axes.

Posted Image

Another guard and another elite. We go full-bore on them.

Posted Image

That is, Faldorn does. She is ripping new assholes left and right. Must be the way of the forest.

Posted Image

Wow, this second area is freaking small compared to the motte to the southwest.

Posted Image

We have taken this place! We have completely destroyed all defenses! The mines are now open to us.

Posted Image

We climb up the ladder and make our way into the Cloakwood Mines. We should have known there would be an ambush waiting for us.

Posted Image

Three generic guards and some guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. Faldorn immediately tries to blind him.

Posted Image

I try to pull some Minute Meteors out of the weave, but instead I get colors.

Posted Image

Viconia gives us all the Chant, and the battle truly is on!

Posted Image

Tytus doesn't attack our fighters, but goes after Skeezer!

Posted Image

I yell at Skeezer to get out of here! He runs out the door and down the ladder. At the same time, Faldorn uses the special ability from her Ring of Fire Shielding. She becomes completely immune to the guards' weapons.

Posted Image

Tytus goes after Viconia next, and even though she switches to her Morningstar he smashes through her defenses.

Posted Image

I send her outside too, and then think about joining them, because this guard just won't stop hitting me!

Posted Image

I do run outside, actually, and pass out healing potions. We all drink them. Inside the shack, Faldorn pauses in her fight to give Kagain a heal after he gets hit by Tytus.

Posted Image

The melee guys decide to change tactics, all focusing on one guard. He goes down in a moment.

Posted Image

They do the same with the next guard too.

Posted Image

Tytus, perhaps seeing how the fight is going, slips out the door and tries to run away. He runs straight into us spellcasters. We all begin casting at the same moment.

Posted Image

Skeezer lets loose with his lone remaining spell - Knock. I also try to pull out some desperate Random Missiles but it just makes my legs feel so heavy.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is the only time I've ever used Knock in a combat situation. But look at that, 12 damage! That's pretty sweet!

Inside the raised shack, Kagain takes out the last guard.

Posted Image

The melee team rushes out of the shack and surrounds Tytus. The fight drags on and on. Viconia has time to both Curse Tytus and Bless us.

Posted Image

Kagain gets seriously injured, and with no more healing left he retreats and uses throwing axes. Viconia manages to cast Spiritual Hammer and begins to throw them at Tytus. He leaves melee and looks to be running away.

Posted Image

Faldorn and Xan follow Tytus into the shack again. Once inside, Xan and Tytus trade blows while Faldorn tries to Hold him again.

Posted Image

This time the Hold sticks! We have won!

Posted Image

Nobody cares that it isn't glamorous.

Posted Image

Skeezer loots him and lets us know that he was wearing the Black Swan Armor.

Posted Image

It is an impressive piece of work, but the only person strong enough to use it is Kagain, and his Full Plate Mail +2 is the better suit. I feel proud. That's the suit I got off of the genie!

Posted Image If you wish to die, I am pleased to assist.

Posted Image Do not think I will endure your insults indefinitely.

I look around, assessing my companions. We are all tired, and sore, and out of magic. Also, we are deep in hostile territory. I call it, and teleport us to Shaundakul's Sanctuary.

Posted Image

You know, this sanctuary is turning out to be the most useful thing I have ever seen. Gorion was an extremely generous man. I wish I could thank him for this place.

We ran out of healing magic too early during the fights. I mention that to Faldorn and Viconia, and they adjust their spell scrolls to include a few more healing spells. We rest, wake, teleport back, and then head down the stairs into the mine proper.

Posted Image

Well, ok, I mean we go down the stairs into an elevator, and THEN to the mine proper. After casting some protection spells.

Posted Image

When we get down there, I send Skeezer out to scout around.

Posted Image

The other companions sit around and bicker.

Posted Image Your shallow regard for nature sickens me.

Posted Image Shaddup and show me the money!

But it turns out that Skeezer isn't really that good at sneaking.

Posted Image

Not too bad at beating people to death with a staff, though.

Posted Image

Ahh, screw this clandestine crap.

#526 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

We're just going to barge in and kill everybody.

Posted Image

Then a ton of guards immediately show up. Shit!

Posted Image

The rest of the guards start dropping like flies to Xan's moonblade. But then one of them, uh...

Posted Image

Posted Image Why, in the Nine Hells, are you asking us such a question?

Posted Image Hey wait a second, I recognize the bunch of you now. You're the guys who've been causing all the trouble lately. Surrender right now!

Xan kills him, and his friend too. I guess he'll never have maypole problems again.

Posted Image

Then Xan goes on and kills another two guards. That's my lover, the bane of low-level flunkies everywhere!

Posted Image

These mines are laid out much different from the Cloakwood Mines. We are in some sort of central hub area.

Posted Image

I decide to explore each branch clockwise, and see what turns up. We head northeast first, and come upon an old, disgruntled miner.

Posted Image

Posted Image We'll set you free, now tell us what you know.

Posted Image Well, see, here's how it is. The way to bamboozle these ninnies is real easy. Right here beside me is a steel plug that stoppers up the river on the surface. If you were to release that, then the whole mine would be drowned. Only the master of the mines has the key to open the plug and he's a real mean cuss. If you were to bring the key to me, I could use it to flood the mine.

Posted Image How do you know how to operate this key?

Posted Image There's a dwarf on the second level of the mines. His name's Yeslick, and he's the last surviving dwarf of the clan that used to live here. Under threat of death, he designed the plug for the master of the mines. I talked with him last time I was in the cells for bad behavior.

Posted Image Okay, we'll try to find this key.

Posted Image Good! If you haven't already been down to the lower levels, try to find a man named Rill. He's a good friend of mine, and should be able to come up with a plan on how to get all of the slaves to safety. I'll see you later then, and try not to get killed.

I look at the big metal thing behind him.

Posted Image

Wow, his story checks out. That must mean that these miners must all be slaves! I check with the nearest one to make sure.

Posted Image

We explore more passageways and loops in this mine, and realize that there aren't that many guards around. It is some minutes until we find another one.

Posted Image

Xan kills him too.

Posted Image

I'm so impressed I put him in charge for the time being. He is the cleaner of mines!

Posted Image Whatever.

Gameplay note: Whoever is the party leader, the first slot at the top of the right side of the screen, is the one who responds when you give a group order. Xan as leader is hilariously depressing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

We find a passageway down, but we don't want to go there yet. There is still mine left unexplored.

Posted Image

In the unexplored area, we find a guard that actually talks to us before attacking. Shocking!

Posted Image

Posted Image We give up.

Posted Image Just wait here until the other guards arrive.

Xan!!!

Posted Image

That's probably how he got captured in the first place!

Posted Image

It isn't like he doesn't have the most powerful one-handed sword I've ever seen.

Posted Image

Although his sword doesn't really talk to him like mine does.

Posted Image

Still, he can always hold his own in a fight.

Posted Image

After the fight, Xan says "Oh" again. He seems to stand in a slightly tougher stance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: All saving throws also reduced by 2.

Posted Image

Another 16,000 to get to level 6, and then we still have to get to level 7 and 8 before he can cast spells. But he'll turn into a fighter/mage then!

Posted Image I like it down here, where the gold grows.

Posted Image This place shall be our tomb.

Checking the map, it looks like we have fully explored the area.

Posted Image

I urge Xan to move on to the second level of the mines. He reluctantly agrees, but only after politely asking Faldorn and Viconia to cast Bless, Chant, and Armor of Faith on themselves and us. He is being quite cautious.

Posted Image

I shrug and cast Mirror Image on myself too. If we're going to be cautious we're going to be cautious.

#527 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

We take the stairs, but when we show up on the second level we only see one little guard.

Posted Image

But then one guard turns into four guards, one of them shooting poisoned arrows at Xan!

Posted Image

Xan drinks an antidote and Kagain chunks a guard, but another one is already walking up the hall to take his place.

Posted Image

Viconia senses a potential problem and throws a Glyph of Warding into the crowd. By the time she is done casting it there are six guards!

Posted Image

Skeezer tries to help out by casting Sleep, but it doesn't affect any of the guards.

Posted Image

Viconia and Xan work together to take out one of the guards that was angling for myself and Skeezer, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

Posted Image

It looks like the guards are signaling for help somehow. I have to end this before they bring the whole place down on our heads in this room. I carefully take aim, bring up my hands, and unleash the burning beast within.

Posted Image

Perfection!

A half second later and Kagain chunks the one remaining guard. But he shouts that more are coming down the southeast hallway.

Posted Image

I shout for us to reposition ourselves, melee in the hallway casters behind the table. We are barely able to make the shift when a spell comes screaming down the hallway at Xan.

Posted Image

I shout at him to prepare, to block, to do something...

Posted Image

He managed to drink a Potion of Magic Blocking. He isn't affected. But Kagain is. I am already reaching for Rhialto's Holy Book. Viconia is also casting a spell. Before I get the book open, that mage down the hallway casts Confusion again, this time catching Faldorn!

Posted Image

Viconia's second Glyph of Warding takes the new group of guards by storm.

Posted Image

A million things are happening at once. Xan is poisoned, and my Dispel Magic lands successfully. Kagain and Faldorn are brought back to clarity, although some protections are removed. Also, Xan drinks another antidote and is ok again.

Posted Image

I notice a half a second later that my Dispel Magic has taken away all of the mage's protections and mirror images. I tell Skeezer that's his clue. He steps up, despite the fact that we are hit with a spell of Hopelessness.

Posted Image

The mage runs away after his spell protections are dispelled, but I had ordered Skeezer to cast Acid Arrow at him. So Skeezer runs to the back of the melee crowd and waits for the mage to return. When he does, Skeezer begins casting. At the same time, I try to throw a Fireball, not caring that Skeezer isn't protected. But the Weave cares.

Posted Image

I suppose the Weave is right. I shouldn't endanger an allied spellcaster just because I'm impatient. I prepare another spell, Rhialto's Random Missiles, as Skeezer and, um... Hareishan, begin a mage duel.

Posted Image

Hareishan is cheating, though, because he has a Black Talon Elite backing him up! I tell Skeezer to get out of there.

Posted Image

Besides, my much greater number of magic missiles totally takes out Hareishan's mirror images in one volley.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is like the perfect battle. You have a ton of low-level guard enemies in a hallway being slaughtered by Faldorn, Kagain, and Xan. And behind those 3 melee fighters you have two mages and a cleric, duking it out with a mage and an archer who are behind the guards. There is no better 2nd edition DnD fight than this. 2E best E!

Viconia tries to Hold the Black Talon Elite, but it doesn't stick. The highly-trained merc returns fire with an ice arrow, and Viconia retreats out of range to heal Skeezer. I reach recklessly for the Weave and try to pull out the perfect spell, the artistic, spiritual, and logical choice to shut down Hareishan forever. I strain for Acid Arrow.

Posted Image

Instead I just get a lot of high-pitched feedback.

Posted Image

But wait! No! Despite the noise, a conjured acid arrow still flies forth from me and strikes mine enemy with great power and vengeance! HAHA!

Posted Image

Hareishan replies with what is probably his last prepared spell - Spook. I'm surprised he gets it off before the acid burns him some more.

Posted Image

On the melee line, there is a lot of blood flying around.

Posted Image

I try to speed things along with another Fireball.

Posted Image

Instead I feel something big and bulky appear in my pocket. I reach in, expecting more gems, but instead I find a magical scroll. For a level 7 spell. Called Protection from the Elements. What?

Posted Image

But that's not all. Underneath the spell scroll are two potions. They are Potions of Firebreath. Wow!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Uhh I thought I knew what all the random results were for wild surges and I never heard of someone getting a level 7 spell scroll or any potions. What the bloody hell?

I give up completely on magic, and just start throwing darts. Unfortunately I run out of darts pretty quickly too, and draw my sword to melee. As I do, Xan takes out the last of the guards blocking the hallway.

Posted Image

We all tear down the hallway after the two Black Talon Elite archers. As I strike at my foes, my sword gives me new insights.

Posted Image

Encouraged, I raise this sword of wisdom and power against my foes and strike them down in great anger.

Posted Image

I am become more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

Faldorn kills the last archer, and we have a small lull in the fighting.

Posted Image

I'm still on edge, though. That mage is still around here somewhere. We are not yet safe.

Gameplay note: This was a really epic battle, and I think I'm at the point where I should either stop now or continue on for the same amount of text again. So I'll stop here. But damn, what is up with all of Xan's kills? He was a murder machine this update!

#528 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Nice update! I have just one thing to say, you shouldn't use Armor of Faith for prebuff, it only lasts one turn, it is better used in combat when you're getting hit since it has a casting time of 1. Epic battle anyway, Emotion : Despair on a party led by Xan seems redundant lol
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#529 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

Haha that's a good point. Too bad that mage didn't realize it.

#530 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Posted Image

23 Nightal, 1369

We are deep within the enemy's fortress and I have almost spent all of my magic. Skeezer is about half out. Viconia and Faldorn, however, say that they're fine. They aren't even at the halfway point. I'm going to need something to do. I'm going to have to use that Boomerang Dagger. Skeezer's got the same problem - he's only got one dart left. I tell Xan to give him the sling and bullets Xan was using. We are going to be fine.

We get done rearranging ranged weapons when that Hareishan comes around the corner. I tell everybody to freeze, and I run at her myself. I throw one of the potions at her that had appeared in my pocket not ten minutes before.

Posted Image

She screams in pain, and tries to stun me with a Color Spray. I sneer at her and strike her down with my Sword of Flame and Wisdom.

Posted Image

On her body is an Adventurer's Robe and a scroll of Haste. I laugh at her. Despite all her high-level spells she died like a chump, and I still live. I return to the group and we decide to keep following the hallway southeast. We pass by a lot of storage rooms, and then a guard drops to his knees in front of us.

Posted Image

Posted Image Sure, we'll let you live, just tell us everything we want to know.

Posted Image I'll tell ya everything, everything! My boss, Davaeorn, he's on the fourth level. He's the head honcho. Now are ya gonna let me live?

Posted Image Yes, now get the hell out of here!

Skeezer finds a secret door, opens it, and steps through.

Posted Image

I can only hope this secret passage has not been used very much, because there's a ghast back here.

Posted Image

Faldorn knows how to deal with the undead.

Posted Image

As does Kagain.

Posted Image

There's another ghast coming down the hallway. Faldorn and Kagain do it the exact same way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's a short hallway going northwest. We see a secret door at the end of it.

Posted Image

It opens up into a small kitchen,

Posted Image

which also opens up into a large dining area.

Posted Image

Posted Image You are one of the few among us whom I can respect.

Posted Image I hear!

Skeezer then runs off to find traps in the main hallway that we did not use.

Posted Image

In the next room, Skeezer finds a locked door.

Posted Image

After opening it, a skinny old man coughs at us. It takes a few seconds before I understand that he's trying to talk to us.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, we are. How did you come by this information, you look to be one of the Throne's slaves?

Posted Image Good! My name is Rill, and I'm the de facto leader of the slaves here beneath the Cloakwood. I heard about you, because I'm always careful to listen to what the Black Talons talk about. It seems that the Iron Throne has placed a large price on the head of someone named Syvishtara, which would be you, I assume. Enough introductions, we don't have much time. I need 100 gold. THe captain of the Black Talons on the first floor is not known for his loyalty to the Throne. If you give me the money, I'm sure I can bribe him to look the other way, while I escape with the rest of the slaves. After all, most of the Talons are going to be preoccupied with you. Well, how about it?

Posted Image Money-grubbing urchins! Helping slaves will only slow us down, something I see no need for us to do.

Posted Image Please, ma'am... This is our best chance for freedom, we just need your help!

Helping slaves escape the Monk? I am so down!

Posted Image Here, take the gold you need, and get yourself and the others away from here as soon as possible.

Posted Image Thank you! Thank you so much. I wish you well, and hope that you can bring an end to this stinking operation.

Posted Image Thanks again! And good luck!

I watch him leave with a warm heart. I'm sure he'll find his way out! Then I think, that if this is the dungeon area where the prisoners are kept, there is probably not going to be a threatening ambush here. I must go elsewhere for that. I lead the party back to the locked door that we saw when we first came in.

Posted Image

Wow, it turns out that there are just more cells behind the door. This whole area is a huge dungeon.

Posted Image

If there are no more enemies, it is time to loot the hell out of the place. Woot!

Posted Image

There are quite a lot of open boxes in the storage rooms.

Posted Image

Frustratingly, they are all empty. And so are all the other boxes or cupboards we can find. And most of the bodies too. We ransack everything but don't come into any huge stashes of loot.

We are ready to go on down the stairs to the next level, when Skeezer asks me to take another look at the dungeon. We find someone that we hadn't really noticed before, and his name is Yeslick.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Gah, I knew I should have played just a little longer. Now I have to stop here and make a tiny little update. Oops. Well, lets take a look at Yeslick. He is a lawful good Fighter/Cleric with a respectable spell selection who likes warhammers. He also has 44,046 xp, which puts him just after Faldorn and myself in xp total.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

He's a fighter/cleric right now, and unless there are some major objections I see no reason to change him - we have very few multi-class characters on the roster as it is. But what should we say to him?

1. All help is welcome. We've much in common. (he joins up with us)
2. I've no need of you. Take your freedom and go. (he disappears forever)
3. Keep him but send him to the Jovial Juggler.

And, if you choose option 1, then who should he replace?

A. Have him replace Xan. Dude's a downer.
B. Have him replace Faldorn. She's psycho man!
C. Have him replace Kagain. One dwarf is enough and Yeslick can heal.
D. Have him replace Skeezer. One dwarf is never enough.
E. Have him replace Viconia. She's been pretty lackluster lately, and Yeslick is a cleric AND a fighter.

Let me know your votes! Oh, and I don't want to unduly influence the voting here, but Yeslick and Kagain HATE each other. HATE HATE HATE.

Edited by Usurper, 20 June 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#531 -sage-

-sage-

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yeslick is my favorite NPC from BG1. That free Dispel Magic is really useful.

1E... if Viconia isn't off the table. If not, then 1A.

#532 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hate each other, you say? That should be interesting to see.

(I don't know what ease-of-use tweaks you have installed, but check if you've got one called, I think, "NPCs don't leave party." That means when their arguments get to the point where they drop out and battle to the death, they stay in the party instead, so you can resurrect the loser and sort things out later. Or you can just stop them from fighting, but from an RP perspective that makes less sense.)

1D. Swap Skeezer for Yeslick. (Sorry, I changed my vote again, but I remembered Yeslick has some comments on the lower levels of the mines, and as I believe he's pretty quiet elsewhere, it might be better to have him in your party now and drop him later.)

Don't dump Xan unless you have to! He's going to get spells soon! Also I love Xan's romance. As a depressed person married to a depressed person, I think he just resonates with me.

Also, I don't know if I missed this, but is "leave party members to wait in your pocket dimension" an option, or do they disappear like stray loot does there?

Edited by AmyAE, 20 June 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#533 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

My vote is 1B.

#534 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'd say 1E if that's an option. Faldorn and Yeslick will have lots to say during the mines, Skeezer can detect traps, Xan has more to say and Kaigain will be entertaining with Yeslick.

#535 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

1B. I don't like Faldorn's OP kit, and I'm sure he can tank too.

Also, try to get Yeslick some points in axes. Because what's a dwarf that can't use axes?
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#536 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

get out

#537 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

1C They kinda fill the same role IMO, Yeslick has spells to use and I've never taken him - ever - so I wouldn't mind seeing him in action and what he has to say with NPC Project.
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#538 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Sorry guys I forgot to put the Viconia option in for no reason. I've edited it in. She is on the table just like everyone else.

#539 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

I don't like Skeezette, but you may need a thief in the mines, so I vote against Viconia, 1E
« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#540 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

Well, the vote looks pretty solid:

1. Join                 ..................................
2. Leave                .
3. Juggler              .......

A. Replace Xan          .......
B. Replace Faldorn      ....
C. Replace Kagain       ..
D. Replace Skeezer      ....
E. Replace Viconia      .................

I suppose I have a mandate to replace Viconia with Yeslick, which I will do momentarily. Also, imgur.com has been not accepting my slick script automatic api upload shenanigans, so I have managed to find an upload script that works for lpix.org. I hope it doesn't cause any problems!