1504 replies to this topic

#441 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Ok, VOTING IS CLOSED! Here are the final votes:

Place	Name		Positive	Negative	Total	Last Time 
=========================================================================
 1	Keiria		 39		  0		39	(signing autographs)
 2	Kivan		 42		- 3		39	52 (2nd)
 3	Viconia		 38		  0		38	14 (9th)
 4	Shar-Teel	104		-71		33	8  (11th)
 5	Imoen		 36		- 7		29	63 (1st)
 6	Bub		 40		-11		29	2  (20th)
 7	Minsc		 29		-10		19	15 (7th)
 8	Kagain		 17		  0		17	14 (8th)
 9	Xan		 36		-20		16	17 (5th)
10	Skeezer		 16		- 3		13	(making his staff)
11	Dynaheir	  9		  0		 9	6  (14th)
12 	Jaheira		  7		  0		 7	2  (22nd)
13	Xzar		  7		  0		 7	5  (15th)
14	Safana		  5		  0		 5	(man hunting)
15	Finch		  5		  0		 5	16 (6th)
16	Rose		  4		  0		 4	4  (17th)
17	Will		  3		  0		 3	7  (12th)
18 	Edwin		  3		  0		 3	8  (10th)
19	Branwen		  2		  0		 2	24 (4th)
20	Khalid		  1		  0		 1	2  (21st)
21	Tiax		  1		  0		 1	6  (13th)
22	Mur'Neth	  1		  0		 1	31 (3rd)
23	Thorfinn	  0		  0		 0	2  (19th)
24	Gavin		  0 		  0		 0	3  (18th)
25	Bjornin		  0 		  0		 0	5  (16th)

Lower Reputation:
Yes:	..............................................
No:	.........................................................

Most popular award goes to: Keiria Silverstring! I guess having a really good stat does matter.
Steadiest maintainer award goes to: Kivan and Minsc! Kivan is holding steady at 2nd place, Minsc at 7th.
Most meteoric rise award goes to: Bub Snikt! Going from 20th place to 6th ain't so bad.
Furthest fall award goes to: Mur'Neth! Going from 3rd place to 22nd. Disappointing the audience can be a real bitch.

So it looks like our A team is going to be Keiria, Kivan, Viconia, Shar-Teel, and Imoen. And our B team is going to be Bub, Minsc, Kagain, Xan, and Skeezer.

And we are still going to be heroes, not villains.

Edited by Usurper, 19 April 2012 - 07:40 PM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#442 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Posted Image

5 Uktar, 1369

I've done it. I've truly done it. The bandit camp is nothing more than a pile of corpses. I have accomplished something that will affect the entire region for years, perhaps generations, to come. I'm... I'm actually a hero! We're all heroes! Hell yeah! I go back to the Jovial Juggler and shout out my accomplishments to the assembled crowd of friends and strangers alike. Everyone in this room has had their life affected by the bandits, and they all know what it means to have them gone. They all cheer in jubilation. It is party time!

Posted Image

Posted Image

We drink and dance and sing long into the night. And maybe into the next day. I'm not sure. I kinda lose track of time. Too much Westgate Wine. But eventually, one by one, we all give out and sleep. Some on tables, some in the corner, and some actually make it to beds. I am one of those lucky ones, although I do remember being lifted up and moved somewhere. I also think I heard Imoen's voice. She's great, that girl.

But then when I wake up and stumble down to get something to eat, I am in a different frame of mind. The bandit camp might be gone but the bandit leaders are still around. Tazok, Davaeron, and Sarevar? Sarevak? Someone. They are supposed to be somewhere in the Cloakwood. I guess I had better root them out before they send more mercenaries against me. It will be a dangerous mission - I've heard the place is full of poisonous creatures. I shouldn't force my companions to go if they don't want to.

I call a meeting of all the companions. I count them as they show up. We are now 25. There are 25 people who will follow me into battle, to fight and most likely die for me at some point. How is this possible? Why am I not following one of them? I have no answers, so I focus on the meeting. I lay out the plans that we have and I lay out what we must do. I emphasize that the Iron Throne has been angered by our actions, and they will most likely hunt down anyone associated with me. I say that we are all in danger. It is probably the truth. I outline a plan to keep us safe. First, a plan to fortify the Jovial Juggler against attack. And second, a plan for a small strike team to infiltrate the Cloakwood and eliminate the threat. That small strike team will consist of myself, Keiria, Kivan, Viconia, Shar-Teel, and Imoen. Each one nods in turn. I must be gifted by the gods to have so many trusted bodies following me around. Don't I owe them something? I'll have to be more generous with the magical equipment we get. Some day I hope to outfit them all with the best I can find.

Imoen clears her throat, startling me out of my reverie. Right. Security. Plan. Strike team. Did I mention all of that? I did. To the Cloakwood we go!

First, I give my old friends the rest that they deserve.

Posted Image

Undoubtedly! Just hang here and stick to the plan, girlfriend.

Finch seems relieved, but doesn't say anything. She goes back to her seemingly eternal conversation with Rose. The two are inseparable!

Posted Image

I shall, Minsc, I shall. After moment of wistful contemplation, I turn to our new companions.

Posted Image

Posted Image It would be a pleasure to have your company again. A good Bard is always a welcome companion.

And that's that. Viconia is up next.

Posted Image

Posted Image Many would judge you by your race alone, but I will give you ample opportunity to prove yourself as an individual.

Posted Image I could ask for little else.

People seem to look at us a little askance when we pick her up. But I don't care. She's a damn good cleric.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: With Viconia in the group, our reputation drops to 12, average. It had previously dropped from 16 to 14 when we failed to steal something from one of those amazing item sellers in Restenford.

Posted Image

Posted Image I do have need of you, but not because of your debt. Your skill is invaluable to me.

Posted Image Make no mistake; I follow you only because of your prowess in battle. When that falters, so does my loyalty.

I see the lie in her eyes. Sure babe, sure. But she immediately questions me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Men aren't that bad, Shar-Teel.

Posted Image You are an idiot. And you deserve exactly what you're going to get.

Hey! I used to be a man!

Oh, hey, THERE he is! I lost track of that bad-tempered dwarf. He's got a cloak he lost in the Cloakwood.

Posted Image

I can't forget to try to find it. I wonder if its magical, though.

Then it is time for equipment allocation. Kivan, Imoen, and I mostly keep what we got. Kivan takes back the Helm of Mind Warding, though, because Shar-Teel wants the one he is wearing. He goes back to being a True-Seeing god of death.

Keiria Silverstring the Spellsinger gets Fabio's Lute, Varscona +2, and the Traveler's Ring to complement her already-formidable equipment. I also give her back her dispelling bolts for her crossbow that I had taken earlier for, uh, research.

Posted Image

I also let her dig through my spellbook and take spare copies of any level 1 or level 2 spells. I don't let her take any spells that she already knows or that I only have one copy of. She ends up memorizing Color Spray, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Resist Fear, Stinking Cloud, and Web. She has so many spell slots available for each level that I just tell her to memorize one of everything. She can't really do that exactly, but she can get pretty close.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then it is time to outfit Viconia. She gets the standard loadout that is becoming commonplace for the cleric in our party - Helm of Glory, Crystal Platemail, Sling +1, Boots of the Forgotten Ones. But she also doesn't seem to care about the origin of the Ring of Dwarven Bone. That's good because she wouldn't be able to wear the Crystal Platemail without it. Also I choose to give her the Cloak of Protection +1, because she's the cleric. She's gotta stay alive. Finally, I have some extra cash so I stop by Thunderhammer Smithy and buy her a Buckler +1.

Posted Image

With that last piece of equipment, she looks pretty good!

Posted Image

For spells, I ask her to memorize heals and cure poisons. We will need both in great amounts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, Shar-Teel. Oh, dear conflicted Shar-Teel. I hope she's okay with the equipment I've collected for her. She also gets a Helm of Glory, which fits nicely with the Full Plate Mail +2 that I got from the djinni. She equips the Gauntlets of Power Attacks, and wields the Flame of the North (of course). She also decides to take up the Strong Arm bow, since Kivan seems to be so attached to his bow. She wears two rings, a Ring of Regeneration and a Ring of Protection +1. She also wears the Girdle of Bluntness and the Gnomish Boots - I don't want her getting stuck in a Web somewhere. Finally, she wears the Cloak of the Wolf. I imagine she will make good use of it someday. And she definitely fits the profile.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Since we decided to do this with Branwen's flirts, I will also do this with Shar-Teel's flirts. I will only screenshot unique flirts, and not repeat any of them that I can remember. Hopefully it will be more tolerable for the weaker voices among us who do not like strength or grace.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *She scowls, but there are so many emotions tangled in her scowl that you dare not interpret this facial expression one way or another.*

There is one more thing we should do before we go. We should turn in the bandit scalps we have - hopefully the last we ever see!

Posted Image

We get 450 gold for them. Not bad!

Gameplay note: I'd like to take some time out to talk about the AI scripts that I use for each character. The Big World Project comes with a lot of good AI scripts, but choosing the best one for each character is not always easy. Lets start with Syvishtara. I want her to be attacking bad guys and drinking healing potions automatically so she doesn't die, but I'd rather not have her casting spells on her own. That should be at my discretion. So the AI script I use for her is SCS Ease-of-Use AI. Here is a description of what it does:

The AI has 5 functions:

1) The character will fight, prioritizing opponents who are not immobile and helpless, not fighting if they're trying to Turn Undead, and not wasting Melf's Minute Meteors, Energy Blades, or Invisibility. You can shift the character between melee (D) and ranged weapons (F) using the hotkeys. If you'd rather that your character did not enter melee, you can toggle melee off by pressing (K). Characters with melee toggled off will fight if enemies are in weapon range but won't be proactive about getting into range.

2) The character will cast some long-duration spells when out of combat. There are 4 settings for this, which you can toggle through using (S). On setting 1, the character uses no spells. On setting 2 and up, the character will cast all of the following spells if they are memorized (and not already active): Stoneskin, Iron Skins, Armor, Melf's Minute Meteors, Goodberry.

3) On setting 2 and up, the character will consume Goodberries if injured and out of combat. On setting 3 and up, the character will also consume potions of healing. On setting 4, the character will consume potions of extra-healing.

4) On setting 2 and up, the character will automatically active the following items once per day: the Cloak of the Stars; the Gargoyle Boots; the Belt of Fortitude.

5) The character will cast some spells, by hotkey, on the whole party. This casting is highly accelerated, cannot be done in combat, and only casts on characters who are not already protected. Its main function is for later in the game when you can afford to carry enough spells to protect the whole party. The hot-keys are: C for Chaotic Commands; V for Death Ward; B for Protection from Fire, Protection from Lightning, and Protection from Magic Energy; Z for a paladin's Protection from Evil.

I find this very useful to manage a character who runs around killing things and drinking potions. Also it gets Syvishtara to cast Armor each morning. I guess some day I'll appreciate the advanced features but for now I just need the simple ones. I keep it on setting 3, because Syvishtara only has 33 hit points. This is also what I have Shar-Teel using.

But Viconia, as a cleric, needs a script that will make her focus on healing. The one I choose is Rastor's Improved Cleric Script.

This is a universal script for clerics. The cleric will ensure that your party is in reasonable health before casting any offensive spells and won't waste spells on enemies that will be unaffected by them. The cleric also wont cast spells on weak enemies.

This is the best choice for having a cleric that will stop what its doing and run over to heal your injured party members at the first sign of damage. This is essential, especially at low levels. The script generally reacts faster than I would.

For Imoen the thief, I like to use aTWEAKS - Simple Thief script.

This script will allow a Thief to either use his "Find Traps" skill or his "Hide in Shadows" skill whenever he is idle. By default the Thief will search for traps when there are no enemies nearby. Pressing the 'D' key toggles this setting and causes the Thief to attempt to hide in shadows as long as there are no enemies in his line of sight. Note that the Thief won't attack opponents nor defend himself while either of these skills is in use. Pressing the 'V' key toggles this setting and causes the Thief to stop using his skills and start attacking the nearest enemy. This script will never override player-assigned actions.

I usually hit the V key after assigning this, so that Imoen will always be looking for traps but attack when enemies are nearby.

For Kivan I use the default RANGER RANGED script.

The ranger will attempt to keep a distance between himself and enemies, firing with ranged weapons if possible. If injured will attempt to hide and drink healing potions before returning to battle.

A simple script. One undocumented feature is that it always tries to make the ranger hide, which is why you always see Kivan succeeding or failing to hide in shadows in so many updates.

And finally, with Keiria, I use the aTWEAKS - Simple Bard script.

This script will allow a Bard to sing his battlesong whenever he is idle. By default the Bard will only sing when enemies are nearby and stop once they are out of his line of sight. Pressing the 'D' key toggles this setting and causes the Bard to sing constantly, regardless of enemy presence. Note that the Bard won't attack opponents nor defend himself while sing the battlesong. Pressing the 'V' key toggles this setting and causes the Bard to stop singing and start attacking the nearest enemy. This script will never override player-assigned actions.

Because she has a 5% chance to lose a spell while singing the bard song, I'll tell her to sing it only in combat and also to attack enemies. That way she'll be twisting the song, I think. Singing it and then canceling it to attack enemies each round. I heard bards used to do that in Everquest? I never played it. Hopefully it'll give the benefit without that much drawback.

As we are leaving the Jovial Juggler...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *growls* Men!

Oh so now she remembers what I was. Great. With that, we are off!

Posted Image

And only two hours into our journey, we are ambushed!

Posted Image

BANDITS?!?

Posted Image

What the hell?

Posted Image

Why are they... oh they're all dead. But still, I'm disappointed I didn't get them all at camp.

Posted Image It is difficult to separate shadow from the darkness here.

If you say so babe. Kivan picks up a total of 10 scalps and a measly 2 necklaces. We move on as if nothing happened.

Posted Image

So... Cloakwood. I know next to nothing about this place. I turn to Kivan. He obliges me by going out to scout.

He comes back with tales of tasloi in the trees.

Posted Image

I don't even know what they are. But he says they're little green guys in the forest. So, goblins? We go see what they can do. Turns out they can sleep pretty well.

Posted Image

When Shar-Teel gibs the last one,

Posted Image

we take a look at what they were carrying. But not before...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *She scowls... Oh, how she scowls. Like no one else under the sun, the moon, and the stars.*

Looks like the tasloi were carrying a bunch of ratty spears and a cloak. Could it be?

Posted Image

Is this cloak the one that belongs to

Posted Image

Oh. But don't you think we should

Posted Image

Oh. Ok. Well then. Imoen's new cloak is pretty cool.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#443 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

We have nothing left to do but send Kivan out again to scout again.

What he finds, he dreads.

Posted Image

He just keeps on moving, marking the location for later. He also manages to come across a collection of bears.

Posted Image

They aren't hostile, though. It is when he finds his first giant spider that he calls us in to kill it. I suppose even rangers hate giant spiders.

Posted Image

Viconia and I arrive first, and close to melee with the beast. But it Webs Viconia!

Posted Image

Thankfully it turns towards me after that, and Haiass is able to take it out.

Posted Image

And since we are almost already there, Kivan takes us to fight against the dread wolves. I begin by trying to soften them up through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

Posted Image

The Weave bursts wildly out of control and I close my eyes and brace for impact. I feel as though I will die in the next few seconds. But... nothing happens.

Posted Image

Thank Rhialto Fireballs didn't burst everywhere. I conceal myself with a few Mirror Images and begin to melee.

Posted Image

My friends and I are able to kill these wolves without worry.

Posted Image

Without care.

Posted Image

Without delay.

Posted Image

And most importantly, without injury.

Posted Image

Imoen volunteers to be the next scout, so I agree. She drinks a Potion of Invisibility and sets out. She manages to find some kind of building.

Posted Image

We all go over to see what the building is for.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, we would.

Posted Image Good men! I'm glad you had the sense of decency to help a man in my situation. Let me explain my predicament. My friends and I come here every year to do some sport hunting. This year however, a group of woodland savages threatened us with bodily harm if we did not stop our hunting trip. Being civilized men we realized that it's well within our rights to hunt where we damn well please. After a few more days of hunting the crass woodmen lost all pretense of humanity and murdered Elban, one of my oldest friends. I'm sure that they plan to attack our cottage here, so we had best be prepared.

Posted Image Trespassers and butchers of our wood; I, Seniyad, have come to administer the punishment that you have bought down upon yourselves. Yet, who are the men that stand beside you? With them we have no quarrel. It is now to you that I speak; these men have most likely duped you into protecting their sorry hides. They have most likely not told of the druid they have slain in cold blood. I will allow you to rethink your earlier decision and leave these men to their most deserved fate.

Posted Image Do not listen to these slavering wild men, my dear fellows; they lie as befits the uncultured barbarians that they are.

Posted Image And you consider yourself 'cultured,' iblith? Don't make me laugh.

Aldeth is reminding me of the monk. He's trying to keep these woodsmen down, I just know it!

Posted Image Sorry, Aldeth, but we're siding with the druids. They have this great Aloe-Vera balm they are giving away samples of, and my armor has been chafing a bit, ya know?

Posted Image What!?! Have you gone mad, throwing your lot in with a band of madmen. You treacherous savages, you will suffer for you foolishness! I will deal with Seniyad after I kill you!

Say what now?

Posted Image

Hey man, there's no need to get this violent! Why don't we

Posted Image

Eugh. Noble chunks. We turn to Seniyad, wondering what he will do now.

Posted Image

He knows of the Iron Throne! Great! But we have foul beasts and Shadow druids to contend with before we get there. Hey, at least we know what to expect, right?

As Seniyad leaves, Kivan mentions that it might have been a colossal misunderstanding all along. The hunters might have been hunting and killing shapechanged druids without their knowledge. Damn. Talk about embarrassing!

We look around the rest of the area together. There isn't much here to threaten us. We find some of Haiass' savage cousins, and attack!

Posted Image

I try to divine the will of the Weave, casting a fireball through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

Posted Image

The magic goes off and hits Haiass. I check my boobies - still there. I look at everyone else. All boobs are appropriate. I think... I think I just changed Haiass into a bitch!

Posted Image

I'm stunned, too stunned to move, and it gives the dire wolves the opportunity to really take a chunk out of Keiria.

Posted Image

Keiria pops a healing potion, retreats behind Shar-Teel, and then casts Sleep. Wow, that was the perfect thing to do. She's so dreamy!

Posted Image

We are almost done with the wolves when the bears decide to join in on the fight. Gods, I hope none of them are shapechanged druids!

Posted Image

Then I hear a yelp from behind me and don't care anymore.

Posted Image

Haiass noooooo! I seek my vengeance.

Posted Image

I find it. Thank the Weave Viconia is here, she can raise him, I mean her, right away. Although it seems to take a whole lot out of her.

Posted Image

After we are done fighting animals, Imoen says, sooo what do ya think's in the lodge? Oh yeah, the lodge! We go back to investigate.

Posted Image

We find a Rainbow Obsidian Necklace, two Arrows of Ice, two Arrows of Fire, an Elixir of Health, and about 500 gold. Nice! Not a bad haul for a hunting cabin in the woods.

After that, there is nothing left to do but go over the bridge to the northwest. Strangely enough, however, we find an elf on the bridge.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, tell us more.

Posted Image Good, I'm glad you're smart enough to recognize opportunity when it comes knocking. The deal is this: I've been hired out by the mayor of Beregost to hunt down a great winged dragon that's been plaguing the caravan routes. He's offered 2,000 gold for its head. Now before you get cold feet, let me allay your fears. The only descriptions of the beast have always mentioned its deadly barbed tail. From what I know about dragons they don't have barbs on their tails: that's something unique to wyverns. So all we have to do is find this wyvern's nest and kill it. Our only worries are if it has friends over for dinner! So what is your decision, yea or nay?

Posted Image You sound glad to discover that your adversary is the weaker critter. Hells and demons, but you are pathetic one, even for a male! Syvishtara, this idiot would be of no use for us. We can kill the wyverns without having to share the reward with him.

Posted Image Yea.

Posted Image Very well then. We shouldn't tarry any longer; let's collect the heads of those soon-to-be-sorry wyverns.

Gameplay note: Ok, and now we have our 26th potential companion, Coran! In the base game he is a fighter/thief, but that's completely boring. So lets change him. What class shall we make Coran?

1. He should be a duelist, a fighter kit. The elf will mess you up with that scimitar that's been gathering dust on the mule for months! (Note that as a fighter kit duelist Coran would not get any thief points.)
2. He'll mess you up alright, but that's because he's a Blade Master, another fighter kit (with no thieving points).
3. Come on, we all know that Coran is a dashing, daring Swashbuckler! He'll board your vessel and take your booty and you'll love every minute of it (comes with thief points).
4. Look. Let's put 2 and 2 together. The elf is out here in the forest hunting things. He's obviously a Huntsman. No question about it (comes with thief points).
5. Coran is the spirit of adventure! He is an Adventurer! Yay! (thief points go)
6. You are all so confused about Coran's true class because he's a Trickster. He's always so tricksy, you see (yes thief points).

And then, of course, there is the other decision to make. Should we pick up Coran or not?

A. No. Send him back to the Jovial Juggler.
B. Yes. Add him to the party!

And then the third question. If you want him in the party, who should he replace?

Alpha: Have him replace Shar-Teel.
Beta: Have him replace Viconia.
Gamma: Have him replace Imoen.
Delta: Have him replace Kivan.
Epsilon: Have him replace Keiria.

#444 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Coran, go take a nap D:

#445 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

3-B-Delta ie Swashbuckler-Yes-Kivan.

#446 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

3-b-Alpha - Swash, and do not replace the awesome murder machine - and I think we are fine with him replacing Shar-Teel.

Edited by William Imm, 20 April 2012 - 01:43 PM.

At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#447 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

3-B-Alpha )

#448 SapphireIce101

SapphireIce101
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

3-B-Alpha.

#449 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

1-A

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#450 Daxs

Daxs
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Surely he should stay multiclassed? No, maybe a Duelist/Thief or the like?

My vote is to use Lvl1 NPCs to multiclass him and give him the winning kit whatever it may be. It'd be a shame to let 20 dex go to waste.

#451 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Would a duelist/thief or a Fighter/Swashbuckler be better than a pure class?

#452 Daxs

Daxs
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

If Huntsmen cannot be good, then Coran shouldn't be that illegal aligned class.

Still, most of those fighter kits have studded leather limitations, perfect for a Multiclass thief. My mind is towards the blademaster or duelist.

Adventurer is an available kit for Nalia in conjunction with a specialist mage (use Npc Kitpack to get it) so let the kit shine for her.

Coran would reach 22 dex as a blademaster. Even with the slow leveling of being MC, a thief with 22 dex is plenty functional and you won't be getting the benefits from the level divisibilities of 5 anyway, let alone 10 that the duelist demands.

Edited by Daxs, 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#453 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hmm. 3-B-Delta. Don't think I've got much chance of getting my way on this one - but Kivan deserves a break, and a chance to reflect on everything. Also, it'd be nice to see some other people get to kill.

#454 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

4 b α
He even says he's a hunter! (This is the first time I see Coran in BG)

#455 Daxs

Daxs
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

There really is a severe lack of multiclass party members. The only one who is, is Tiax thus far. Out of 30+ options, ONE multiclass. Am I the only one who sees a problem?

#456 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Now after seeing Daxs' opinion on this, I want to see Coran as a duelist/thief. Perfectly fitting, right?

At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#457 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

There really is a severe lack of multiclass party members. The only one who is, is Tiax thus far. Out of 30+ options, ONE multiclass. Am I the only one who sees a problem?

That's a good point, and I will have to consider more multiclasses in the future when changing classes or not. However, there is also Skeezer Lumpkin! He's a thief/illusionist.

Ok, here are the votes:
What class is Coran?

1. Duelist		...
2. Blade Master		...............
3. Swashbuckler		.............
4. Huntsman		..................
5. Adventurer		...
6. Trickster		...

Should we pick him up?

A. No.			..................
B. Yes.			........................................

Who should he replace?

Alpha.   Shar-Teel.	.................
Beta.    Viconia.	
Gamma.   Imoen.		
Delta.   Kivan.		......................
Epsilon. Keiria.	..

So it looks like Kivan will be taking a break and Coran the Huntsman will be taking over arrow-pushing duties for the immediate future. Also since Huntsmen cannot be good, I'll have to change Coran's alignment to Chaotic Neutral.

If you do romance Coran, please, for god's sake, change that awful fucking portrait of his. I'm all for trainwrecks, but who the hell would want to bed someone who looked like that?

On this topic, I'm always open to suggestions about character portraits. If you submit one I'll most likely use it.

Finally, we have a bit of a problem in starting the Coran romance mod. Syvishtara only has 10 CHA, but she needs 13 to attact Coran's eye. We have to work on our appearance somehow!

Edited by Usurper, 22 April 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#458 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Posted Image

7 Uktar, 1369

I do believe it is time to give Kivan a break. He has brought death to dozens if not hundreds of bandits already, he can stand to use a few days or weeks in the Jovial Juggler. We say our goodbyes.

Posted Image

Posted Image Our paths must run apart for a while. If I should need your help again, though, we should rendezvous at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost.

Posted Image I will do this thing, but much remains to be done. Do not delay your return.

He is no sooner gone than Coran pipes up with some inter-racial insight.

Posted Image

Posted Image Now, Coran, if you could only explain why elves dislike dwarves, as well...

Posted Image After the elf has heroically slain the foul orc, there is only one thing left for him to do. He will die in sad reverie about his kin's glorious past and amid regrets of his inability to prevent their inevitable demise. Then a dwarf will come by and will try to bury him, but while digging his grave, he is as like as not to find a vein of mithril. So he'd use the tree to smelt the metal and he will have no time among his labors to worry about the elven corpse... And that is why elves dislike the dwarves.

Posted Image What about halflings and humans and gnomes?

Posted Image A halfling would open a small tavern on the spot and call it the "Elf and Orc," and boast unceasingly that he sells the best ale on Toril. That would be true, of course, since we are talking about the very last one. A human would peer at the elf's remains, thinking wistfully that he would never be able to die in such a mystic way, but aloud he would say that the arrogant bastard had found an appropriate end. I swear by Hanali Celanil's golden heart that I do not know what a gnome might do. Ask a gnome...

Gameplay note: This is the point where you can accuse Coran of prejudice.

Posted Image Yeah, good story!

Posted Image I hope that you'd trade me a tale or two of your own for this? Something about the fun times monks have in Candlekeep, maybe?

Funny. I can't seem to think of anything.

The elf doesn't look so bad, once he's decked out in appropriate equipment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: The same mod that reduced Kagain's starting CON to 19 reduced Coran's starting DEX. The kit put it up by +1, so he's at 20.

He also has been busy making some special, custom arrows of his.

Posted Image

He also boasts that he is proficient in all kinds of trap-setting.

Gameplay note: This is true, I boosted him up to 90 in Set Traps. He's now the only thief who can reliably set traps.

Imoen also mentions to me that there was something I forgot to get off of that noble's corpse back at the cabin. She shows me the robe that she had found.

Posted Image

Wow! If only I knew a good mage.... oh I guess Dynaheir counts. I wonder how she's doing?

Posted Image You have the most beautiful... er... eyes.

Posted Image Flattery will get you nowhere.

Heh. We are ready to head out, so we cross the bridge and explore the rest of the area. We are ambushed, by wolves!

Posted Image

Viconia gets bit hard in the opening attacks.

Posted Image

But she drinks a healing potion and soldiers on. Shar-Teel does her fair share of wolf-killing.

Posted Image

As does Haiass.

Posted Image

Imoen is the next bit in the wolf onslaught.

Posted Image

But she also recovers and keeps going on. Shar-Teel rids us of the last of them as the sun goes down.

Posted Image

And that's that. We have cleared the Cloakwood Lodge area of all hostiles!

Posted Image

Coran leads us deeper into the woods by secret paths that few know. He says we will see waterfalls. I wonder if this is a good idea...

Posted Image

We travel for 16 hours and come to the top of a waterfall, just like Coran said we would. But as soon as we do, two Phase Spiders teleport right into our midst!

Posted Image

Everyone grabs their melee weapons and I protect myself the best way I know how.

Posted Image

Keiria strikes with Melf's Acid Arrow at one of the phase spiders. Interesting!

Posted Image

I turn around to take stock of things and realize that there are 3 spiders now. Where are they all coming from?!

Posted Image

Shar-Teel takes care of the first, no matter from where it hails.

Posted Image

Keiria and I cast spells at one of the spiders. Her Chromatic Orb, me Rhialto's Random Missiles.

Posted Image

We do a pretty good job of hurting it.

Posted Image

And then Keiria kills it off with her crossbow.

Posted Image

Imoen also wants to get in on the low-level spell action.

Posted Image

She singes Coran a little bit. Then Keiria finishes the spider off.

Posted Image

But now Imoen is poisoned! Viconia rushes back into the fight in time to cleanse her system and save the day.

Posted Image

Exhausted from our long trip and immediate fight, we rest right at the top of the waterfall. In the morning, Coran rises bright and cheerful, more so than even before!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Not surprisingly, I like you too, Coran. We vagabonds and bon vivants need to band together!

Posted Image You like me? My beautiful lady just made the sun shine brighter! I shall fight like a lion, sweetling, when I know that your eyes look at me approvingly. Come now, let us continue our search for adventure before somber paladins kill all the dragons and all the wine dries out!

Excellent suggestion! I could use some more lightheartedness in my life! But right then, as if on cue...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *She looks at you and tries to scowl. She smiles instead and turns away quickly.*

Ah ha! Even Shar-Teel is in a good mood! I'm starting to really love the Cloakwood. Since we have not yet done so, we cross the stream and come face to face with a man named Tiber.

Posted Image

Posted Image What is it that troubles you stranger?

Posted Image Thank you! Thank... you... it's my brother you see. He and I went into the Cloakwood to clear the woods of the spider colony that infests it. I know it sounds foolish... but my brother had found the sword 'Spider's Bane'! The sword was created to kill spiders... and we thought we could become famous... the heroes of Cloakwood, and all that. But my brother hasn't returned yet... and it's been more than a week. Please, could you go into the woods and find him for me... my mother would be so shattered if Chelak were to be dead.

Posted Image Foolish indeed. The death of the weak is to be encouraged; this natural selection is what has made my people so superior.

Posted Image We'll find your brother for you, don't worry.

Posted Image Oh yes! Please search quickly... his name's Chelak. Be careful.

Really, Viconia? Natural selection. Don't you think that's a little harsh?

We set out to explore the area, but then both Imoen and Viconia scream at us to freeze at the same time.

#459 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

We hear the words trap and enemy at the same time, and get ready for combat right where we are. Imoen disables the trap, whatever it was, but then the giant spider spits a web at Viconia and battle is joined!

Posted Image

Viconia tries to outrun the web, and I try to advance and cast a spell, but we are both hit with webs. There are more spiders!

Posted Image

Shar-Teel barks out some orders, real concern in her voice, and the others follow. They all drink Oils of Speed, except for Imoen. She drinks a Potion of Invisibility.

Posted Image

But as Coran and Keiria advance, yet another spider spits yet another web at the elf. He is held as well!

Posted Image

Keiria decides that this is unacceptable and casts Sleep upon the spiders.

Posted Image

It doesn't seem to have much effect. Shar-Teel, immune to any web-like effects in her gnomish boots, runs up to the first spider and kills it.

Posted Image

Imoen, in a stunning display of genius and forethought, spews out a Burning Hands right over all the spiders and into my face.

Posted Image

But of course it doesn't harm me at all. Excellent work on her part! Then she shoots a bow at the most injured spider, and it is down!

Posted Image

Masterstroke! Keiria's Stinking Cloud lands at that moment, but she needn't have bothered, because Shar-Teel takes out the last spider.

Posted Image

There is only one small problem left. I am Held, poisoned, and dying. Thankfully the webs of these spiders only last a few more seconds. I manage to drink an Elixir of Health and avoid certain death yet again.

Posted Image

But there is one more spider. I don't want to deal with web effects ever again, so I and Imoen cast magic missiles from afar while Keiria casts an Acid Arrow and Shar-Teel runs in with her boots.

Posted Image

The spider does not even survive the missiles. Shar-Teel looks disappointed. No sooner are we out of combat then Coran exults.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Yeah! That *would* be thrilling... and I bet a dragon's skull would be big enough to make into a rocking chair! Or a throne...

Posted Image Why are you speaking of thrones? Are you one of those who lusts after power and dreams of becoming a sovereign?

Posted Image It was a stray thought, Coran, no more. I was talking of the rocking chairs, and suddenly I saw a throne made of dragonbone, black jade and dark adamantine. It was strangely attractive and ugly at the same time.

Posted Image You have the most strange visions and dreams, Syvishtara. Either you are indeed marked for greatness, or you are simply mad. I would prefer to go mad, rather than rule. Power is such a capricious mistress, and romance with her is so ultimately unrewarding! It turns you into a fat, arrogant and selfish squid, teaching others how to go about their lives even faster than marriage does.

Marriage? Eugh. We turn back to the task at hand, which is to try to get somewhere in this blasted forest. We advance slowly. I send Imoen first, but only after making her promise to drink a potion of invisibility. I don't want her getting ambushed.

Posted Image

She finds 3 spiders, hanging out by the seaside cliffs. She comes back and calls us in to help.

Posted Image

We send Shar-Teel in first with her gnomish boots to attract all the attention. Then we strike.

Posted Image

Shar-Teel kills the first just as I arrive.

Posted Image

Keiria takes out the next with her crossbow.

Posted Image

And Coran takes out the third and final spider. Great! It's good to know I am in the company of such competent persons.

Posted Image

Imoen goes out further on the cliffs, scouting ahead. But she doesn't find anything except a great view.

Posted Image

It looks as though we are forced to go back and head west.

Posted Image

But while I am looking at the map, we get ambushed by Phase Spiders!

Gameplay note: Literally, I was taking that map screenshot without pausing and I come back to this.

Posted Image

Keiria gets poisoned! And my sword whispers to me. I think it is trying to distract me from Keiria's plight, but I am not distracted.

Posted Image

Viconia cleanses Keiria and all is well once again.

Posted Image

Coran kills the final phase spider, but gets severely cut up for it, and poisoned too! I'm shocked at how fast he looks near to die.

Posted Image

But he drinks an antidote and will be alright.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image *Shar-Teel rolls her shoulders back and forth in an impressive display of her raw power.*

We send Imoen off to scout again. She walks along the cliffs heading west.

Posted Image

She manages to travel an impressively long way without finding any hostiles, so she comes back to get us.

Posted Image

When we are all together again, we try to walk down the cliffside and see what there is to see... but we find a dragon!!!

Posted Image

We turn tail and try to run away. But the dragon... shoots Aganazzar's Scorcher at us?

Posted Image

I try to minimize the damage to my companions by charging straight at the dragon. Its fire cannot hurt me, after all.

Posted Image

Something else does, but I'm not sure what. My companions fire arrows and sling bullets at it from afar. I am engaged in a delicate dance - keeping the column of fire from the dragon occupied because it does not hurt me, and keeping it away from my companions, while also staying away from the dragon. It takes all my concentration. Keiria and Imoen cast Magic Missiles at it though.

Posted Image

I see their missiles injure it, but it does not fall. Additionally, I take some more mysterious damage, dropping my health. In anger, I turn myself to the dragon, ripping some health from it and returning it to myself.

Posted Image

It is too much for the beast, and it falls. I drained the rest of its life.

Gameplay note: That was unexpected, and a super lucky break that the pseudo-dragon fixated on me, the 100% fire immune dude, to be the target of his fire breath wrath. Otherwise we probably would have had a party wipe. We get 4500 xp for the kill though!

Posted Image

Upon closer inspection, the "dragon" has the head of a wyvern, which leads us all to believe that it was a wyvern.

Posted Image

Just a red-colored, fire-breathing wyvern. Geez. So many ways that could have gone wrong. The Weave is definitely with us this day.

After a 10 minute long breather, we get Imoen to scout out the area behind where the wyvern/dragon attacked us. It turns out to be a bland dead-end.

Posted Image

But as she angles out of that area and goes north, she runs across another big trap.

Posted Image

Who sets these traps I wonder? It must be those humanoid spider thingies. Whatever they're called.

Imoen explores north from there, and discovers a beautiful waterfall.

Posted Image

She has to turn inland here, and soon finds herself confronted by Ettercaps. Yes, that's what they're called. Those spider-wannabe things. Ettercaps.

Posted Image

She comes back and tells us of their location. Then all together we charge into the group.

#460 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

For some reason, two of the spiders focus on webbing Viconia.

Posted Image

In response, Imoen uses her Wand of Horror to make the bad spiders go away.

Posted Image

Shar-Teel wastes no time in slaughtering these new enemies.

Posted Image

Viconia is getting hard hit, though, so I rush back to try to heal her.

Posted Image

Imoen also casts Horror with her wand, Keiria uses Fabio's lute for Confusion, and in the chaos I manage to heal just in time.

Posted Image

Now all the baddies are running scared, but Shar-Teel doesn't care. She cuts down another.

Posted Image

And another.

Posted Image

Frightened spiders scatter, and we start to chase them all over the woods. I realize that this can only end in disaster, so I call my companions back to our original fight location. We wait for the spiders to come back to us. They do, and they web me!

Posted Image

Shar-Teel takes care of that little problem, though.

Posted Image

Coran is taking care of business on the other side of the battlefield.

Posted Image

But Shar-Teel kills the last.

Posted Image

Viconia realizes what she's been doing wrong this whole time. I guess that near-death brush was good for her in the long run.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: We'll have to go over these new spells that she has that are different from Branwen's next update.

Then it's back to the explore and disarm game.

Posted Image

While Imoen is out disarming traps made by evil inhuman monsters all by herself, Coran strikes up another conversation.

Posted Image

Posted Image Unfortunately, I was. With my foster father dead, they won't let me back in.

Posted Image Ha-ha! But you must be clumsy, Syvishtara. Nobody ever locked me out.

Posted Image Are you sure? I didn't think you were all that good with stealth and locks.

Posted Image Uhm, there was that one time when I had a rendezvous with a noble dame whose name I can't mention for obvious reasons.

Posted Image Of course.

Posted Image So, I decided to rekindle my acquaintance with a sophisticated society beauty after a few short years of absence. The lady was agreeable, and I didn't have a chance to see her close in a well lit room until I made it up her balcony.

Posted Image But as she slipped to the window to open it for me, the moonlight shone straight onto her face...

Posted Image Oh humans, humans...

Posted Image A few short years... just how many exactly?

Posted Image Ten or fifteen... it matters not. The result was devastating. *Shivers.*

Posted Image A hag in the moonlight... All the old stories about hags of the magical kind leapt to my mind, how they bred with the likely lads of my disposition and then devour them.

Posted Image So you must see why my romantic mood quickly diminished, and why I spent a good hour outside that window pretending that I could not get in.

Posted Image Actually, it was very decent of you to spare the old woman's feelings.

Posted Image Well, yes... that, and I needed time to recover before hitting the roofs. One won't go far on shaky feet!

By that time Imoen got back to say that she found more ettercaps. We go to where she says they will be, and sure enough. There they are. I think that I will try to take care of all of them before anyone else needs to, so I reach for the Weave and throw out whatever comes first.

Posted Image

Fire dances around me, and yet frost flies from my fingertips! I am like unto a vengeful force of nature!

Posted Image

WHAT?! Oh my weave, what have I done?

Gameplay note: Shar-Teel was slightly ahead of Syvishtara when she randomly cast Cone of Cold. I tried to get her to move out of the way, but as you can see she was unsuccessful.

Still, a golden goddess, wreathed in flames, a burning sword in my hand - surely I must win this fight.

Posted Image

Viconia takes up her mace and steps into melee with me as the rest of the party fires from range. Keiria kills one of them.

Posted Image

In the middle of combat, a crazed woman interrupts us.

Posted Image

After that interruption, Coran is the next to thin the herd.

Posted Image

Unfortunately Haiass falls in the battle. Again.

Posted Image

And Keiria is the one who kills the last beastie.

Posted Image

Seemingly late to the party, as if he was an old man, my sword taunts the already-dead.

Posted Image

Keiria and Coran divide up Shar-Teel's equipment between each other, and then we talk to the crazy lady again.

Posted Image

The ring she gives us is a Ring of Protection +2!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: We also get 1100 more xp!

I think I need to rethink my life. Shar-Teel is dead, again. And I killed her this time. My magic is always getting my friends killed. Why does the Weave act like that? Why does it lash out against... wait. The Weave doesn't do things for no reason, does it. Maybe she deserved it.

Posted Image