Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#401 Vonburen

Vonburen
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Nice let's play. I'm currently running a wild mage as well, just finished Bonehill part I, but my characters are a bit higher in level, although my game it's a bit munchkinish because of the full BWP install. :(

#402 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

You're higher level? Did you go there at a later time than I did, or am I just falling behind?
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#403 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Posted Image

18 Marpenoth, 1369

"Syv, Syv!" Imoen calls out to me. I am almost going to ignore her, because the tears are still on my cheeks, but then I decide I could just stop. "Syv, the tunnel!" she says as she catches up to me. "You know, the one the fire giant was guarding? We forgot about it!"

You know, she's right. That might not have actually been a fire giant, but what was down there? We have to find out.

Posted Image

But you know what? Before we do, we're going to rest first.

Posted Image

When we go down into the cave, we find ourselves in a maze of twisty passages, all alike. And the maze is full of... the undead!

Posted Image

Of course, when Kivan is with you, you don't have to fear the undead. Or anything else for that matter.

Posted Image

Not even flesh golems!

Posted Image

Although a little healthy respect never hurt anyone. Ouch!

Posted Image

If you're going to to love someone, cause them a crisis of faith, and make them dump you leaving ambiguous unexpressed feelings on both sides, you can't go wrong choosing a cleric.

Posted Image

It is strangely fitting that it is Safana with her Dagger +2, Heart of the Golem, that takes out the golem.

Posted Image

Perhaps the dagger has undocumented bonuses against golems? That was quite a lot of blood spurting out of its back.

Posted Image

Branwen takes care of the other skeleton.

Posted Image

Now we are free to turn the corner and GAH IT TALKS!

Posted Image

Posted Image Why is a holy statue in this unholy place?

Posted Image This place was not always such. Many years ago this keep was used to protect the isle. Unfortunately, evil finally won. Since then several different forces have taken over the keep. Evil begats evil and each time more sinister forces control the keep.

Posted Image Do you know anything about the current environment? Why all the undead?

Posted Image That child I cannot help you with. You are the first to talk to me in many years. I have no idea what has taken place here recently. I know that evil has lived here for many years. Its form is not known to me. The last worshipper to talk to me was a wizard looking to stop the plague of undead. I have not heard from him and can only assume he lost.

Posted Image I sense a change, though. You have cleansed the evil from this place? I thank you. I look forward to the day when Amanator's followers return.

Gameplay note: It's spelled AMAUNATOR. And the reason that I know this is that the spelling of the god's name is a quest solution in Baldur's Gate II. Somebody must have gotten hit with a whole lot of flamestrikes in a certain ruined temple when they played...

The statue then looks pointedly at my hand. I look down to see what it is looking at, and there is a helm in my hand. After getting over my shock, I hand the helmet off to Imoen, who takes a look at it with Finch's glasses.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Oh man True Sight 3 times a day? That is huge! At such low levels, this is basically a magekiller weapon right here. It will dispell Invisibility, remove Mirror Images, and take off Blur, and pretty much all of a mage's favorite defensive spells at low levels.

Kivan is the only one among us who can use it, so he does. He gives his Helm of Glory to Branwen instead, who decides she likes it better than her Crystal Helm.

We turn around and go back the way we came, to be ambushed by a skeleton around the corner!

Posted Image

Not too shabby. A little deeper into the tunnels we find a strong skeleton warrior. Those are pretty tough, so Branwen immediately begins casting at it.

Posted Image

We had all forgotten its magic resistance. We'll have to do this by hand.

Branwen gets hit badly and has to retreat to heal.

Posted Image

The skeleton warrior seems intent upon Branwen, so we are able to get in a few good hits before it turns its attention to me.

Posted Image

Then I have to be the next one to retreat. If both Branwen and I weren't wearing these speed boots we'd be dying a lot more than we do.

Posted Image

Branwen calls her god's axe to her hands, and gets back into melee. I manage to heal myself, but Fabio is now the man down in health.

Posted Image

A healing potion and he's just fine. We all close in for the final kill. It belongs to Imoen, though.

Posted Image

In the middle of the next room we find another skeleton that we can kill easily.

Posted Image

And a bit later on we find an ochre jelly. I think I remember something about them taught in Candlekeep... aren't they immune to magic?

Posted Image

Nope!

Posted Image

Looks like they were immune to arrows, but not the ice on the arrows.

Posted Image

Theres an ornate staff display stand here, and a staff rests upon it. But upon closer inspection it is nothing more than a plain quarterstaff. Why would it be on such a swanky pedestal? Someone is dumb.

We move on. I'm quite proud of my skeleton-killing prowess.

Posted Image

We weave and thread our way through the twisty passages, me taking the lead. I can take on any skeleton they throw at me!

Posted Image 'Tis something most unnatural here and I want no part of it.

You know what? She's right. I should be careful. I tell the party to keep in formation and move slowly.

Posted Image

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#404 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

We edge around the corner and come eye to eyes with death.

Posted Image

I order everyone back along the tunnel, and I order Branwen to blow the horn. She does. The warrior comes.

Posted Image

But... what is this? The berserk warrior doesn't fight the beholder, it turns to go after me?! I can't catch a break today!

Posted Image

I run away from its single-minded assault, while my friends try to kill it.

Posted Image

And while we are engaged in our absurd little dance, the beholder comes. It sees.

Posted Image

Gah! There is no time! Imoen and I both fire magic missiles at the berserk warrior, trying to kill him quickly before we die ourselves. Safana bursts into her werewolf form, and Branwen begins casting a spell of her own - slowly.

Posted Image

As Safana charges towards the beholder in a desperate gamble, Kivan rids us of the valhallan menace.

Posted Image

Safana looks to be foolish, as Kivan drinks an Oil of Speed.

Posted Image

Branwen finishes a spell of Sunscorch, but the spell is reflected back on her instead of the beholder! Safana shows some resistance to the beholder's gaze.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Beholder starts off with Minor Spell Turning on. I had forgotten.

The beholder has turned Branwen's spell back upon herself. Doing some quick calculation, I realize that the beholder probably has Minor Spell Turning active, and it has turned one level of spell so far. It can turn three more levels. Therefore, the best strategy is for me to cast Random Spell II at it. The resulting spell will either be 4th level and burn up the rest of the Minor Spell Turning, or a 5th level spell that won't get turned. Either way good deal. I cast it immediately.

Posted Image

I don't know what just happened, but the beholder's Spell Turning is probably going to be gone now. I hope. It has also turned away from us and is going back to its room. Hrm.

The beholder's retreat buys Safana the precious few seconds she needs to be healed by Branwen.

Posted Image

Safana also withstands the next eye ray by the beholder, suffering no ill effects at all! It seems to intimidate the beast, which screams for help!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: So apparently werewolves have pretty respectable magic resistance? I did not know, and this is completely a lucky coincidence that Safana is actually succeeding at tanking a fucking beholder.

Surprised at her success in fighting this beholder, Safana takes the opportunity to drink a Potion of Regeneration. Damned if she is going to die now! At the same time, Imoen uses the Wand of Fear to try to scare the beholder away. It is ineffective.

Posted Image

I decide to test my magical theory myself. I cast Rhialto's Random Missiles at the beholder. I brace for them to come back to me... but they don't!

Posted Image

Fabio follows suit, and one or two missiles get through the creature's magic resistance.

Posted Image

But then, one magic missile each goes flying towards Fabio and myself!

Posted Image

What is this, partial spell turning? I am completely confused.

Gameplay note: Yeah, me too. I have never seen anything like that before. One magic missile hits, one is resisted, and one is reflected?! That's unpossible!

Then it looks like Safana's luck has run out. The beholder Holds her.

Posted Image

I try to move into a better position as Safana gets another break with her magic resistance.

Posted Image

I, uh, I think I'm in over my head.

Posted Image

With no other real options, I throw a Potion of Explosions at the beholder. It hits!

Posted Image

A moment later, and Kivan saves all our asses like he always does.

Posted Image

I run back to the group and wrap myself in mirror images.

Posted Image

They seem confused until I tell them that there are two Gas Spores, kinda tiny-looking little mini-beholders, around the corner. I shake my head, pre-empting them asking me what they are. I have no idea.

Then I turn around and manage to kill the skeleton following me in one blow!

Posted Image

I really have no idea what to do here, so I just cast another random spell. The Weave will probably know what to do.

Posted Image

Yep. This is probably the single best thing to do at this point in time. Cloudkill is the perfect response to this situation. I feel guilty that I ever doubted the Weave. Instead, I should have doubted myself.

Posted Image

One of the skeletons that makes it out falls to Imoen.

Posted Image

Another falls to me.

Posted Image

Then I do just like they taught us in Candlekeep school - sit tight and wait for the Cloudkill to work its magic.

Posted Image

Wait, this is taking way too long. I don't know why that is... I hear a Gas Spore coming from down the hallway, so I mention it to Kivan. He takes care of the problem, but the thing bursts into a noxious cloud of its own.

Posted Image

I try to warn the others that the Gas Spores are quite dangerous when killed, but that doesn't stop Kivan from shooting the other one he sees. And bursting its deadly gas all over the place. And killing Fabio.

Posted Image

Posted Image One more friend to mourn.

Yeah, because of you!

I realize that I am trapped in between two cloudkill spells with only an enraged skeleton to keep me company. I cannot run, I cannot get aid. I can only change staffs to the Bonebreaker.

As if he didn't have enough problems already, the skeleton attacking me is slowed by Bonebreaker.

Posted Image

He feebly and slowly attempts to hit me again. But before he can, I turn him into so much dust.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This was an extremely difficult battle, and I died several times attempting it. It was a stroke of luck that I ordered werewolf Safana to charge instead of retreat this time, and discovered her magic resistance. I was fully expecting her to die and chose her as the least important damage-dealer in the party. If she hadn't been able to resist those eyebeams she would have died in two or three rounds, tops. I know from reload experience. Another lucky break we got was that the spectator turned around and went back towards its room several times, each time saying "Ahh, no, help!" If it had just kept pursuing us or simply stood its ground we would be magical residue for sure.

Eventually the cloudkills dissipate, and Safana returns to the land of the ambulatory. Branwen picks up Fabio's equipment, and we all go over to see what the spectator beholder was guarding. It turns out to be 200 gold, a ziose gem, 2 scrolls of Cure Critical Wounds, and a magical sword.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: 4th level cleric spells, 2 of them! Branwen can't cast this spell legitimately yet. I am starting to understand why we are finding priest scrolls.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: And this is pretty much the normal version of Xan's moonblade. It's on fire, it does +5 damage (+2 normal +3 fire) and gives 50% fire resistance. This is better than Varscona, which Fabio was using before he died. Varscona does +2 +1d4 cold. So if we resurrect Fabio and put him back into melee he should be wielding the Sword of Flame rather than Varscona.

We have only explored the southern portions of these caves. I cautiously suggest we go through the northern passages too. Kivan volunteers to sneak through them, and I immediately agree. I don't want to find more death up there.

He sneaks off, and soon finds a zombie.

Posted Image

He finds a second zombie, and this time an exit too.

Posted Image

In the most inaccessible parts of the twisty winding maze, Kivan finds a skeleton that is not hostile.

Posted Image

Posted Image Release me.

Posted Image Remove my curse.

Posted Image What are you talking about?

Posted Image Restore me.

Kivan comes back and tells us what he has found, and so then we all follow him back to the room. Imoen rifles around in the bookshelves there and finds 4 scrolls of Lesser Restoration. And on the table Safana finds a journal.

Posted Image

A curse of undeath, eh? So these undead might have started out as people and not had an intermediary grave step. And this poor skeleton right here, it must be the mage that the statue was speaking about. A mage who couldn't cast Lesser Restoration. A pity he didn't travel with a blonde-haired, blue-eyed beauty of a cleric.

Branwen takes one of the scrolls and casts it on the skeleton.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He slips a spell scroll into Branwen's hands, and then dies. She glances at it and passes it off to me.

Posted Image

Oh. My. Weave. If only I could cast this now. But I dare not risk a wild surge when reality itself is on the line. I copy it into my spellbook for some day.

We continue on together to explore the rest of the caverns. Sending a scout ahead is just a waste of time. We find a gray ooze, and kill it.

Posted Image

It was sitting in front of a respectable little stash.

Posted Image

Then I wonder if the statue has anything to say about us saving the mage/skeleton just now. We go back to talk to it once more.

Posted Image

#405 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

With nothing more to do or say, we move to the exit. It takes us outside of the keep near the palisade we saw before.

Posted Image

We take off, and travel back to talk to Sir BillyBob.

Posted Image

Of course, before we do that, we have to stop by Almax and resurrect Fabio.

Posted Image

And then its off to share the fruits of our travels with Sir BillyBob.

Posted Image

He takes 3 different items of ours, but refuses the rest. There doesn't seem to be any major change to his attitude.

Gameplay note: I keep forgetting that humanoid NPCs don't want gems. They only want rings and necklaces. I'll have to go search for expensive rings and necklaces at the various stores around the town for a last-ditch effort at bribing Sir BillyBob.

I turn to the mule, to do some routine inventory management, when an evil voice says, "Yes, my master."

Posted Image

I whip around and look at everyone. They are all looking at each other. Nobody knows who said what. Things are veery suspicious. Then Fabio raises a hand. He says it was the Sword of Flame +2. It just called him master. I take a closer look at the sword.

Posted Image

I tell Fabio to give the sword to me. Then, I try to converse with it.

Gameplay note: The sword has a very creepy, evil voice. Quite well done. I'm impressed.

Posted Image

Posted Image What kind of sword are you?

Posted Image Yes. (*laughs*)

Posted Image What does that mean?

Posted Image The flames hunger for the blistering of flesh.

Posted Image You must be a cursed sword.

Posted Image I am yours 'til death comes for us both.

Posted Image How thrilling.

Posted Image Yes, my master.

Posted Image You are a truly evil sword!

Posted Image Scream.

Well. Huh. Imagine that. I wonder if this will take Fabio over and try to get him to kill the rest of us some day? There's only one way to find out!

Posted Image

Then we go looking for Pelltar to report to him our latest accomplishments. Strangely enough we find him at his house today.

Posted Image

Posted Image Very well. You have done a great deal of work here of which I am eternally grateful for. If you are ready, I will send you back to the temple.

Posted Image Thanks, but not right now. I think we will explore some more.

Well he was quick to get rid of us. Didn't even care about what we had accomplished. We go and try to visit the castle to tell someone, anyone, that we had killed a beholder and cleared out Bone Hill for them. Nobody else seems to care. The Sword of Flame echoes my sentiments.

Posted Image

I find out the hard way that nobody in town sells any necklaces or rings. I get onto Fabio's case about it and he tries to make it up to me, somehow.

Posted Image

But it doesn't work.

Posted Image

Posted Image [Charisma] - Easy there, I just wanted to admire this remarkable item up close and hold it for a second. Here, you can have it back.

Posted Image Hmm... I will let you off with a warning, this time.

Posted Image However, know that you will be watched much more carefully from now on!

While we leave, Imoen and Safana both roll their eyes in disgust. They also both have a long talk with Fabio. In the end, Imoen pushes a potion into his hands and he drinks it.

Posted Image

Then we go to try again with another store-owner. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Posted Image

Anywhere.

Posted Image

This leaves me but one choice. If I am going to be leaving this place forever soon, and if Sir BillyBob doesn't care about the treasure I'm carrying, then I really should cash in all that I can and buy something good here. And since the most lethal member of our party is Kivan, it should probably be for him. There are a ton of good bows and magical arrows we could buy if only we had the cash. And, you know, maybe we do. Because it turns out that the monetary value of our entire gem bag is 7795 gold!

Posted Image

Posted Image

But it is not enough. So we clean out the mule, and sell all the merely excellent weapons and the normal plate mails, and one of the Short Swords +2. We leave all of the magical items. Then we sell all of Safana's darts and throwing daggers, and finally 3 Scrolls of Lesser Restoration. In the end, we have 19,631 gold, which we use to buy Strong Arm +2 for 19,500 gold.

Posted Image

Kivan is able to draw it, if only barely. We put his Composite Long Bow +2 on the mule. Everybody is looking forward to Kivan's performance with this bow. Even the Sword of Flame seems happy.

Posted Image

When we come out of the stores it is night, so we go to Falco's Tavern to sleep one last time.

Posted Image

And the next morning, we return to Pelltar's house to get out of here. When we arrive, the Sword of Flame recognizes it.

Posted Image

I think I'm starting to really like this sword.

Posted Image

Posted Image I think our work here is finished. Could you send us back please?

Posted Image Very well. You have done a great deal of work here of which I am eternally grateful for. If you are ready, I will send you back to the temple.

Posted Image Yes, please do.

#406 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

We wait for Pelltar to cast the spell. But someone with blue armor runs into the room and starts shouting.

Posted Image

Posted Image What is the meaning of this?

Posted Image You all are charged with the murder of several civilians and the theft of numerous homes.

Posted Image What?

Posted Image Syvishtara, please tell me this is not true.

Posted Image It isn't true. I have no idea what Gelpas is talking about.

Posted Image The guards have found two homes burglarized and the owners murdered. Welcar informs me that some items are missing from the warehouses also, in particular a black pearl.

Posted Image I know nothing about a black pearl. Go ahead and search me. You will find that I am innocent of these charges.

Posted Image Well then, we have a serious problem here. Something that I hate to admit, but my guards can't handle this.

Posted Image As much as I hate to ask this, will you please stay and help us?

Posted Image

I turn my gaze inward, looking for the voices in my head. What do they want?

Gameplay note: Ok everyone, there's your votes. Let me know if you want 1, 2, 3, or 4.

#407 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

2. Yeah, I got nothing better to do.

#408 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

4. I'm sick and just want to get on with going to the Bandit Camp - ugh.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#409 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Here's how the votes stand now:

As much as I hate to ask this, will you please stay and help us?

1:- I'd be honored.             ......
2:- Nothing better to do.       .
3:- Again, louder this time.    .......................
4:- Hell no!                    .

Edited by Usurper, 08 April 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#410 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Jesus, I think i should powerplay less and roleplay more.

#411 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

21 Marpenoth, 1369

Posted Image

The voices rise in a powerful cacophony within me. I can make out individual cries. "Screw this uppity jerk!" "How dare they accuse us!" "The murderer is clearly Sir BillyBob." "Rub it in his face that he needs our help!" "They pulled a dick move." "That bow is insane!" "Seriously, he just accused us of murder. (And theft, but we're actually guilty of that, so eh.)" "Fuck these assholes!" "What? Sorry, I couldn't hear them over all the baseless accusations." "$#@% this guy, I'm taking another drink."

I know what it is that I must say. The urge is positively overwhelming.

Posted Image Hmm, I don't think I heard that well enough. Could you repeat that? Louder this time please.

Posted Image You heard it once and that is enough. Check with Welcar about the warehouse issue. There isn't much to tell you about the murders. The houses were not broken into. It is as if the thief had a key. There are no signs of a struggle either. The victims had their throats slit where they stood or in their beds. It looks like they never saw the thief or thieves. Report to Pelltar with your findings. That is all.

Posted Image Well Syvishtara, looks like we need your help again. Other than talking to Welcar, I am not sure what other recommendations I can give you.

Posted Image Very well, I will go talk to him.

We prepare to leave but before we can even turn around another guard runs in.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes he was, he just left. Thank you for this information. Bandits? Syvishtara, I thought you said you took care of the bandits?

Posted Image We did. This must be another group. I will go out there and find out what is going on.

We finally have enough time to go outside, and I walk straight to my mule. I take out Varscona and give it back to Fabio, and tell him to give me the Sword of Flame. He does. I will use it myself. There is something about this weapon that calls to me, deep inside. Besides, it glows with the same golden radiance that I do myself. We are a match.

Posted Image

With it in my hands I feel less impatient. I feel... soothed. Oh yes. It is a warm, comforting presence. It will undoubtedly be very dear to me in the future.

We find Welcar patrolling near the warehouses by the river.

Posted Image

Posted Image Gelpas told us to talk to you. It is about the theft from the warehouse.

Posted Image Yeah. Don't know how someone got past me 'n the dogs. There's usually a guard in each buildin' also. It happened last night. From what I figure, some food, a couple a' swords, and some silk were all taken. And if that wasn't bad enough, in another buildin', someone stole a black pearl that the baron had shipped here. 'e's gonna be hot when 'e finds out.

Posted Image So they hit two buildings in one night? You didn't hear anything?

Posted Image Not a sound. Figure it had to be one person.

Posted Image Huh? Why just one?

Posted Image 'Cause the thief only took what one person can carry. If there were more, wouldn't more stuff be gone?

Posted Image Good point. We will have to think on that. Thank you.

Posted Image You know, several years ago, we had lots of thefts. Turned out some thieves from Garrotten had moved into town and set up shop down in the sewers. The baron had to hire some mercenaries to clear them out. Gelpas was the leader of that band that fought the thieves. He lost most of his team. I guess that was what made him retire from adventuring. At least he caught the bastards in the end and strung them up from the "Hanging Tree." That's quite a sight to see if you care to check it out. It's out past the temple near the western gate on the road to Garrotten. I bet the guards there could tell you some stories to make your hair stand on end... Brrr!

Posted Image Sewers? We haven't found any sewers in this town.

Posted Image Oh, they are here. They are not really sewers, they are meant for drainage when the river overflows. The older ones are over on the west side, down near the burnt out guardhouse. As I recall, that was where Gelpas and his band found the thieves. Matter of fact, there was another entrance up in the graveyard north of the temple, too.

The closest place for us to go is down near the burnt-out guardhouse, so we head down there first. In a window in the old house next to the guard house, we see a way in that we hadn't seen before.

Posted Image

We climb through the window and find ourselves in the bedroom of the house. We hear some shuffling ahead of us and a rogue shows himself, mesmerized by Fabio's melodious humming that the bard always seems to be doing.

Posted Image

I realize that we have just stumbled into a combat situation, so Fabio and I cast Armor. We are just barely in time.

Posted Image

The rogue gulps a potion of invisibility (presumably) and disappears again. Uh oh.

Posted Image

The rogue breaks invisibility with a long sword to my gut. Ouch!

Posted Image

Imoen and I respond with magic missiles to the face. They are more effective.

Posted Image

But another rogue reveals himself. Imoen takes care of him with a regular old arrow to the face.

Posted Image

A third rogue reveals himself, also charmed by Fabio.

Posted Image

But even though we know he's there, we just can't attack.
[Improved Invisibility I guess?] We have to wait until he goes hostile again. Which he does, and attacks me again of course.

Posted Image

Kivan one-shots him before Fabio can get any missiles off.

Posted Image

There are a few potions of master thievery, regeneration, and invisibility scattered about the house. There is also an open door that we go through.

Posted Image

The door opens to stairs leading down, and we come out into the sewer tunnels beneath Restenford.

Posted Image

We see a giant rat, which almost all of us attacks. Kivan, on the other hand, steps up to tame it.

Posted Image

The rat becomes friendly for about 5 seconds, but then goes back to trying to bite our ankles. I have to put it down with the Sword of Flame.

Posted Image

We walk northwards in the tunnels and come across some more rats. Meta Infernum must like being carried into battle, as it lets out a long scream as I raise it in violence.

Posted Image

I think this sword and I are going to get along just fine.

These are the same kind of disease-ridden giant rats that we had encounterd in the old guardhouse basement. They infect Branwen, and she has to drink an Elixir of Health.

Posted Image

I kill the last rat.

Posted Image

We follow the sewers north, then northeast, then southeast. Safana stops us in our explorations with a squeal of glee. She has found a secret door! She says its her first one ever. Ours too.

Posted Image

She unlocks the secret door and we bust in to be confronted by two horrible monstrosities!

Posted Image

And one rat.

I tell Branwen to retreat. We go back to the door and I throw a Potion of Explosions into the room. My sword loves it, begging me to do it again.

Posted Image

Branwen retreats further to heal her burns, and Fabio and I move in to melee. Imoen realizes those things are immune to normal arrows.

Posted Image

I am hit and I feel slow and sickly almost immediately. I retreat to try to do something about that.

Posted Image

Imoen steps up in her Burning Hands stance, so we all stay clear to let her go at it.

Posted Image

Then finally one of the tentacled beasties falls to damage from... the other one?

Posted Image

Apparently all was not well in otyugh politics. Eventually we neutralize the monsters and are able to loot the room. We find several gems, some gold, a necklace, a note, and a pack of equipment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We also find Protection from Undead, Grease, and Protection from Acid scrolls.

Posted Image

I write Protection from Acid into my spellbook.

Gameplay note: I said neutralize the otyughs because I couldn't kill them. After damaging them enough, they became non-red-circled, triggered the talking icon, but continued to attack. So I just ran around them and looted the room then ran out.

#412 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I don't know if its a bug or a feature, but I don't really care that much.

Posted Image

Posted Image A map? Yes, it is possible, isn't it? There are three bigger boxes near the line which could represent the river. Two of those boxes have checkmarks. There are three large warehouses near the river. So why are only two of the three marked?

Posted Image Well, maybe because two of the three warehouses had items stolen from them?

Posted Image Yes, that makes perfect sense to me. This is a check list. I bet these other boxes are the other places that the thief went to. We should check this out.

One of the hallways to the sewers ends overlooking an empty chasm. My sword speaks to me then.

Posted Image

Soon, dear sword, soon, my precious.

We continue on, and find two more of those tentacled evils. I decide to just run past them this time - no need to keep fighting.

Posted Image

Of course Safana insists on going out onto the ledge to unlock the inaccessible cubbyhole she found.

Posted Image

She is extremely disappointed when she realizes that it doesn't contain anything at all.

Posted Image

But with the monsters distracted I am easily able to run in behind them and loot the treasure on the floor, which turns out to be substantial!

Posted Image

Fabio gets nicked by the otyugh on his way through, and becomes diseased. Branwen heals him but cannot fix the disease, and we are out of elixirs of health. We will just have to listen to him whine.

The path that we follow in the sewers loops back around and we find ourselves facing the same otyughs again. Branwen calls forth the berserk warrior to distract them while we sidle past.

Posted Image

Imagine my surprise when the berserk warrior comes after me. Again!

Posted Image

Imoen and I cast missiles at it. Everybody attacks it.

Posted Image

Branwen even calls down a Sunscorch on it.

Posted Image

The berserk warrior finally falls to Safana's poisoned daggers.

Posted Image

I am going to sell that goddamn horn as soon as I get back to town. Which way should that be, I wonder? There is the way we came in, which is to the south, and the way we could go, which is to the north. I don't like backtracking, so north it is.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: He didn't do it for Nalia's keep, but I'm pretty sure Sir BillyBob cut up and rearranged the sewer map here. I don't remember this type of arrangement of any other sewers.

We exit the sewers and find ourselves in some kind of graveyard-like area.

Posted Image

And going south from the graveyard area puts us just outside the temple. Huh. I wonder why we never noticed this graveyard before?

Posted Image

So, we found the normal goods that were taken. But we haven't found the black pearl yet. We did find a lot of rogues in the old burned-out house and killed them all. I guess we should go back and tell Welcar what we've found.

Posted Image

Posted Image We found the stolen items. Here they are.

Posted Image Really? Great! But where is the black pearl?

Posted Image We couldn't find it.

Posted Image Oh, that's not good. The baron will have my head, and maybe yours too. You need to keep looking. The thief has got to be somewhere.

Posted Image We also found this note. We think it is a map. Are these two boxes the warehouses that the thief took stuff from?

Posted Image Yes, this is definitely a map of Restenford. Those boxes match these warehouses. Look at this, that should be the West Wind. Zelmar told me that someone stole their money last week. There is a checkmark next to that building. You should check with Zelmar about this.

Well, ok then! Off to the West Wind tavern to talk to Zelmar.

Posted Image

Posted Image I understand that someone stole your money last week?

Posted Image Sigh. Yes, lucky for me, we had stored most of it off site beforehand. So it was only a week's earnings.

Posted Image I assume you never saw the thief?

Posted Image Ha! If I had, I would have put a few magic missiles into their ass. But no, none of us saw who did it.

Posted Image Have any of the regular customers looked guilty since then? Or maybe very happy about this? A competitor, perhaps?

Posted Image No, no. I went through all this with Gelpas. I don't think it would be someone we know. We get new merchants all the time, so any one of them could have done it.

Posted Image How much did they take?

Posted Image 200 in coins and some small gems. About 250 gold in total.

Posted Image Okay, we are looking into this. If I can find it for you, I will.

Posted Image I won't hold my breath, but if you can do it, that would be wonderful.

Posted Image Oh, I just remembered. Smyth came in the other day. He runs the store next door. Anyway, he mentioned something weird about Bomarc. Bomarc runs the lighthouse. Normally, Bomarc picks up all his supplies from Smyth once a month.

Posted Image So?

Posted Image So, Bomarc had the supplies delivered to him instead. He never has anyone visit him. The guy is like a hermit. He is really grumpy and hates everyone. Typical for a gnome I guess, but with all the strange things happening around here, this just seemed stranger than normal. Bomarc always stops by here for a few ales before heading back to the lighthouse. I usually pack a few bottles for him to take. He hasn't sent any word to me about delivering them.

Posted Image If I have time, I guess I can stop by and check on him.

Posted Image

Posted Image Oh, it was so boring back in Calimport. I could just point my finger at something and I'd get it, but I could never *do* anything. It's the wanderers' life for me, the open road is my only home and the thrill of adventure makes the blood pound in my veins.

Posted Image Yes... I too prefer to be on the move. There is great misery to be had in stagnating, still and decaying within as a stilled babe in the mother's womb.

Posted Image Heh. You would know, eh?

Posted Image Hmph.

Gameplay note: Haha, everybody rags on Branwen for being a statue. She'll never live that down.

I guess the next stop is the lighthouse. But when we stop by, we realize that the door still won't open.

Posted Image

#413 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I don't think we have any other options but to talk to Pelltar.

Posted Image

Posted Image We explored the old sewers and found the body of a wizard or someone dressed like one. We also found this note. We aren't really sure what it is, but think it might be a map. Does that make any sense to you?

Posted Image It is very hard to read, but hmmm... It looks like a really badly drawn map of this town. Assuming this line is the river, these must be the houses and stores around here. Why would there be checkmarks?

Posted Image Oh! I have it, by loving Mystra! The checkmarks are next to the buildings that someone stole from. See here, these two are the two warehouses that Gelpas was talking about. While you were gone, I talked to him about the other thefts. They match this perfectly. Go talk to Welcar or to Zelmar, I hear he was also robbed. These others would be the homes.

Posted Image Strange. Why would the lighthouse be on here? Bomarc is almost a hermit. He wouldn't have anything to steal. Well, it doesn't have a checkmark, so maybe this is just a landmark or something.

Posted Image Either way, maybe we should check out the lighthouse, too.

Well that was entirely unhelpful. We spent the whole time getting Pelltar up to speed and then he suggested we do something we have already done. What other angle could there be to this whole puzzle?

Welcar and Zelmar have nothing new to say, but when we go back to the lighthouse to check for a third time, the door is mysteriously open.

Posted Image

The bottom floor of the lighthouse has a cheery fire going. Safana roots around it but doesn't find much of anything useful.

Posted Image

We climb up to the second floor, and then Safana tells us all to freeze. There are traps everywhere, she says!

Posted Image

But there is also, apparently, a hidden thief, because I suddenly feel a horrible pain in my kidneys.

Posted Image

"Hey, give that back!" I shout, and drain some life out of him.

Posted Image

Fabio hits the guy with some magic missiles.

Posted Image

But as most often happens, it is Kivan that rids us of the menace.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Look at Kivan's pose. He just straight up pulled back the arrow and shot it point-blank into the side of Sirius' head. And, 38 damage from a bow! A bow! Imagine a Kivan and Minsc tag team, Minsc with the Flame of the North. Actually, wait, we won't have to imagine it, because Finch and Minsc are the next up to replace Branwen and Fabio when we get back to the mainland.

We sort through the thief's things, and find some good stuff. He was wearing a Leather Armor +1 and Bracers of Defense AC 6. He was also wearing a Ring of Regeneration.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Something we can pass around in between battles I suppose?

But that is not all we find. We also find a Wand of Cause Serious Wounds, the Glorious Hand, Sirius' Journal, and the Black Pearl!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Straight-up damage. Not bad.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Useful for Knock, but excellent for Hold Person!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Wait, so the overlords are real? And they are elven? Why didn't any of them approach me, elf to elf? Surely we could have come to some sort of arrangement. I have no particular attachment to Restenford, and especially not Sir BillyBob. Crap! I seem to be caught on the wrong side of this fight with no chances to switch. Also, I guess Telvar was a necromancer? I thought only humans could be necromancers. Was Telvar human? Ugh, this is getting confusing.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Quest objective complete!

In the locked cabinet, we find some gems, an excellent quarterstaff, and an excellent spear. In the trapped chest we find some potions including oils of speed. Then we go around the entire town making things right.

Posted Image

Posted Image We found the thief. He was hiding in the lighthouse. Here is your money.

Posted Image What? This is wonderful news. Thank you.

Gameplay note: 900 xp lets Kivan level up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I am walking around town, though, I notice that Safana isn't with us. And neither is the Glorious Hand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: The Glorious Hand opens anything. Anything at all.

We go back to Welcar to turn in the black pearl.

Posted Image

Posted Image We found the thief and the black pearl. Here, take it.

Posted Image I was afraid the baron would have my head for losing this. Thank you.

Safana catches up with us then. She casually hands me two books that she says she just found lying around. The first one is the spellbook of the bait seller, Zahrdahl.

Posted Image

Inside I find Color Spray, Invisibility, Detect Invisibility, Glitterdust, Spook, Identify, Mirror Image, Detect Illusion, Non-Detection, and Improved Invisibility. Cute. Wait, I don't yet have Detect Invisibility.

Posted Image

I write that shit down. The second book is Zahrdahl's Notebook.

Posted Image

Oh my. Oh my indeed. Somebody's been bad! We look for Pelltar at his house again, but he is not there, so we go to his tower.

Posted Image

Posted Image We heard some rumors that led us to search Zahrdahl's home more thoroughly than the first time we looked.

Posted Image So, what did you find?

Posted Image You may want this. It is the journal of Zahrdahl, the bait-dealer.

Posted Image Uh, okay, I'll bite. Why do I want this?

Posted Image Because he was really a spy for the duke.

Posted Image What! So the stories were true about a spy in town. Brilliant detective work. The baron needs to know about this immediately. I assume you have taken care of this "bait-dealer"?

Posted Image No, we came to you first.

Posted Image Good thinking. I suspect he may be too powerful for the guards. Please eliminate him immediately. You will want to show him his journal. That may help you to make him talk. Return to me with it and I will take his book to Baron Grellus.

Posted Image We also found the real thief. His name was Sirius and he was hired by the elven overlords to destroy the baron's control here. Here is his journal.

Posted Image So the overlords are at it again? This is the most extreme tactic they have used on us. I will notify Gelpas and the baron immediately. You have done a great service for this town.

Posted Image Thank you. We still need to hunt down the new marauders north of Restenford, and we really would like to find out what happened to Bomarc as well.

And so our course is clear. Kill the bait seller, kill the marauders north of here, and find Bomarc. We set off.

Gameplay note: In a conversation option that we did not explore, because it only pops up when you talk to him two times, we could have volunteered to tell Zahrdrahl about what we did around the area. He would have said he always likes gossip but because of his sprained ankle he can't get to Falco's Tavern to hear it, so he would appreciate us telling him. So we could have come back to this guy's house each time we finished a quest and reported to him everything we did. Then we also, for no reason, could have double-checked this with Falco and found out that the bait seller never comes to his tavern and obviously he was lying. This could possibly make us suspicous of Zahrdahl and if we were of an inquisitive mind we could investigate the top floor of his house for evidence of wrongdoing. And if we had the Hand of Glory we could have discovered his journal behind a unusual-spell-warded-lock like Safana did earlier. We could have done this but we didn't because the conversation is designed poorly and we don't even see that first conversation option because who talks to NPCs more than they absolutely have to? I had to make up the excuse of Safana just being a greedy bitch to make this work, and only because I knew about it beforehand.

#414 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Anyways, if you know all of this then the following conversation makes more sense.

Posted Image

Posted Image I'm afraid there is a BIG problem, Zahrdahl!

Posted Image Oh yeah? Well, whatcha got?

Posted Image We found a journal with notes in it about information on Restenford. It included all the things we have been doing here. The journal belongs to a spy for the Duke of Kroten.

Posted Image Damn you! You won't take me alive.

Yep. Kivan makes sure of that in about 2 seconds.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: What an embarrassing way to go. Not even one hit in on us before dropping.

His loot is disappointing. Nothing but some Bracers of Defense AC 7. The man was strictly amateur. It is getting late, so we head to the Tavern of the West Wind to rest for the night. Branwen strikes up a conversation with Kivan.

Posted Image

Posted Image I shall help to the best of my knowledge, Branwen.

Posted Image Your wife... did her presence inspire you in battle?

Posted Image A man who enters the battle with love in his heart that is greater than his love of himself would not waver and fail, where a man who knows no such joy could.

Posted Image Why do you ask?

Posted Image 'Tis in my mind a nagging and pestilent thought which poisons my love for Syvishtara. "A warrior's passion should lie on the battlefield only," it says.

Posted Image Do not let it poison your happiness: your passion for Syvishtara, and the fire you display in battle - they are both manifestations of your true heart.

Posted Image *sigh* Mayhap you're right. 'Tis foolish to become easy prey for all-devouring doubts, in any case.

Posted Image If you love life, Branwen, do not forbid yourself to love for the sake of valor on the battlefield, or for duty. In this way one becomes a serf to death.

Never before have I felt such warm feelings for Kivan. He is the ranger also of my heart! Because of Imoen, and now Kivan, I know that Branwen still does truly love me. All will be well, and all manner of things will be well, in time. With that, we rest, and wake, and travel. I do it all with a smile on my face.

Posted Image

I am impatient. I want to burn these marauders down and be done with it. But we find the spiders first. I fling a random spell at them. It turns out to be an amazing one.

Posted Image

The arachnids are in complete confusion. They begin fighting amongst themselves. Then the heals and horrors begin.

Posted Image

The most holy Rhialto has touched the world this day! I have not seen magic this potent since I killed the weaver. The disturbances cause chaos. Kivan fires into the chaos. Kivan kills something.

Posted Image

Most of the wild surges are gone now, and Kivan kills another spider.

Posted Image

In a rare reversal of fortune, I heal Branwen.

Posted Image

Kivan kills a third spider.

Posted Image

And in an unexpected twist of fate, Kivan then kills the last spider.

Posted Image

With the holy touch of wild magic before me, and Kivan behind me, none can stand against us. Even the most intimate caresses of wild magic can be seen upon my very being.

Posted Image

If only we could calm down Branwen, Fabio, and Safana. They need to stop running all over the place before they attract unwanted atten... crap.

Posted Image

I throw out another random spell towards the first orc that comes around the pond, praying for the Weave to help me. It rushes up my back, through my arms, and out my fingers with almost a snarl of anger. Both weal and woe fly out from my fingertips, but the woe is much more powerful, and dangerous.

Posted Image

The cloud! It is Cloudkill! Holy gods above what have I done? My only thought is to try to save Branwen from the cloud's deadly touch. I reach to Rhialto's spellbook to cast Dispel Magic and remove Branwen's fear... but it is too late.

Posted Image

I have killed my love. Branwen has died from my magic. How will she ever forgive me?

Posted Image

At least the orc mage died too. When the cloud dissipates I cautiously move in with the remainder of my party. Kivan is the one to finish the priest off, as always.

Posted Image

Kivan and Imoen pick up Branwen's things. And as we turn to go back to town, only one thought is on my mind. I've killed her, I've killed her, by the weave I've killed her.

We go back to Almax. We resurrect Branwen... again. I don't make eye contact with her.

Posted Image

We really need to find these bandits. Focus on the bandits.

Vocus.

Locus.

We walk through the woods of the Thief's Den, looking for potential bandits, when what should we see but another group of spiders.

Posted Image

Damnit, this is what got Branwen killed last time! My irresponsible use of magic, throwing around spells I cannot yet control. I need to be more careful. I need to test the will of the Weave first.

But before I can, Branwen flies into a berserker rage!

Posted Image

I ask the weave to work with me. Things seem to start out well.

Posted Image

I ask the weave to give me something small, like Melf's Minute Meteors.

Posted Image

I feel around in my inventory to see what has appeared in my pocket. Have the Minute Meteors somehow bypassed my hands?

Posted Image

No, no they haven't. It's just a garnet. I sigh in disappointment. Obviously the Weave doesn't think this fight is so important. I look over and notice, then, that Branwen is poisoned. She also doesn't seem to care. Oh no!

Posted Image

Branwen becomes entangled in webs. And she is still poisoned and raging! Oh my god, the exact same thing is happening again! I have to do something! Rhialto, please!

Posted Image

The purifying touch of Rhialto's holy spellbook washes over both of us, and Branwen is freed from the web. She immediately drinks an antidote. Also, the stigma of my folly is washed from my own form as well, and I am made blameless again!

Posted Image

The spiders die, and my love heals herself, and all is right in the world.

Posted Image

Then we move to the bridge, and into the ambush.

Posted Image

Posted Image "Hold up boys?" I only see one of you. You don't carry a small furry pet in your pocket do you?

Posted Image A small pet? No. However, since you now know about my henchmen we can all get acquainted.

Posted Image One moment before you go. We are looking for some travelers from Restenford. I assume that is where you are from?

Posted Image Not originally, but yes.

Posted Image We were told some travelers from Restenford have an important item we want. Oh, don't worry about getting it out now. I will take it after you are dead. Get 'em boys! We must find the Hand!

#415 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh so it's this hand thing they're after. Everything seems to happen all at once. I and Fabio cast Mirror Images. Branwen moves forward, looking intently at the Hand Bandit Leader. Imoen pulls out her Wand of Fear, and Kivan touches his helmet. I presume he's doing his True Seeing thing.

Posted Image

Branwen calls upon her god, and her god answers.

Posted Image

it is a good thing she did, because she's going to need all the help she can get.

Posted Image

The bandits try to drink potions of invisibility to disappear after they have done their sneaky attacks, but Kivan sees. Kivan knows. And Kivan kills.

Posted Image

They try to quaff more potions, but it doesn't work. Kivan sees all.

Posted Image

Kivan drinks an Oil of Speed.

Posted Image

And before he can turn around and do something about it, another bandit is dead.

Posted Image

Safana, in werewolf form, helps too. I think she manages to get the guy's throat just exactly as he is swallowing the potion of invisibility. I'm pretty sure it spills onto the ground. Weave!

Posted Image

Kivan again performs his greatest calling in life.

Posted Image

The leader of the bandits is the last to go down, but he still bites it like a chump.

Posted Image

Kivan sees all. Kivan knows all. Kivan kills all.

Gameplay note: I just realized that the idea of an archer with a super-powerful bow who can always see where to put an arrow to obliterate you no matter what is a little terrifying.

Posted Image

Posted Image And I assume you know that song?

Posted Image Kind of, yes. Let me think. (clears throat)

dum de dum, don't understand
tallow drips on withered hand
'neath shadow of a gallows' pole
I took (something, something),
fingers dance and I stretch and yawn
Hand of Glory.

Posted Image I don't remember that middle part. The song is about making a magical item called the Hand of Glory. That is all I can remember though. We should probably check with Pelltar about this.

Gameplay note: Wait you mean the song about candles on a withered Hand of Glory, which you were remined of after a bunch of bandits tried to kill us for an item they called the Hand, you want to ask Pelltar about? Why not simply just look at this severed hand we have here with candles on each fingertip that we're calling the Glorious Hand that the bandits just tried to kill us over? They might have something in common.

On the body of the bandit leader we find a scrap of paper.

Posted Image

Time to go back again to speak to Pelltar about all this. Maybe he can make sense of it. He's back at his house again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Please tell me everything Syvishtara, were you able to do the deed?

Posted Image Zahrdahl is dead.

Posted Image That is a relief. We have enough problems with the elven overlords without them sending spies. Never a dull day around here. Thank you for your work here.

Posted Image We killed the bandits. On one of them we found a note. It talks about a "Hand of Glory," whatever that is. I think that is what they were looking for.

Posted Image Hand of Glory? No, I can't say I have ever heard of such a thing.

Yah, me neither. I'd love to further pursue this fascinating theoretical discussion about artifacts of great magical power which we don't have, but actually, there is something I must do first. We actually do have an artifact of magical power that I'd rather not have.

Posted Image

Then I do some thinking. I look at the Glorious Hand. I think back about the things people had said, about the hanging tree and hanging, and how the hanging tree right outside of Restenford exists. I decide to go check it out, even though it doesn't really have a strong connection to anything going on here. I just have a feeling.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This last part of this mod is quite frustrating because it often doesn't work correctly, and it isn't even remotely clear what is supposed to happen. Nobody recognizes that I have the Hand of Glory. Without that, Pelltar can't tell me I'm supposed go to the hanging tree and talk to the guards. And the guards can't tell me that I'm supposed to talk to another guard named Ravenna. They just say normal guard crap.

Posted Image

I don't know what precisely went wrong to fail to trigger the I-have-the-Glorious-Hand-goddamnit variable, and at this point I just don't care. I just open up the console and type in CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("BHHandSearch","GLOBAL",2).

Posted Image

Posted Image You must be the bright one in the group. What can you tell us?

Posted Image Nothing. We guard the town gate. Neither of us have been tasked with looking into the stealing.

Posted Image Thanks anyway. So you just man the gate?

Posted Image Yup. Well, except for the tree over there.

Posted Image You guard the tree?

Posted Image Nah, just the bodies of those we hang.

Posted Image Er, could you explain that please?

Posted Image We watch over the dead ones. Make sure nothing happens to them. People like to throw rocks at people they don't like. (He leans in towards you and whispers) The witches like to steal body parts to make zombies and other horrible monsters.

Posted Image You're weird. Besides, you don't have any witches in this town.

Posted Image Huh? Oh, yeah. I guess we don't.

Posted Image I see that you have a new rope in that tree. Did you hang someone recently?

Posted Image Oh, yes. Reynard. (He spits on the ground) He was a nasty bastard. A highwayman. He robbed many coming in and out of town. Sometimes he did more than rob. He wanted the ladies to always remember him, if you catch my meaning. Killed a few of my buddies before we captured him. Hanging him was too good I says. I'd have put the rat cage on him and left it there.

Posted Image Lovely. So he was a thief?

Posted Image One of the best or worst, depending on how you look at him.

Posted Image Anything unusual about his hanging? Anyone snooping around here?

Posted Image Not that I know of. Ravella was the last on guard, and she's the one that buried him. You would have to talk to her.

Posted Image Where can I find Ravella?

Posted Image She took today off. Should be back here sometime tomorrow.

Posted Image Thank you. You have been a great help.

When I to try to talk to another guard, I realize he must have been listening to the conversation.

Posted Image

So I guess in order for us to finish tracking down the suspicious activity here, we have to wait for a guard in this small town to get back from the ethereal plane or wherever her house is and get back on guard duty? We can't just, you know, visit her at home? Fine! But I'm buying something to make up for it.

Posted Image

After what Kivan told Branwen on my behalf, he deserves it.

Posted Image

#416 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Then we go to update Pelltar on what's going on.

Posted Image

Posted Image We spoke with the guards at the western gate near the "Hanging Tree." They told us about the thief Reynard who was hanged last week, but they didn't know very much about it. We're waiting for Ravella to return to duty so we might speak to her about it. Maybe she saw something.

Posted Image Please keep looking. Gelpas won't allow you to leave until you resolve these problems.

Posted Image We'll let you know what we find after we go back to talk with Ravella.

Yeah, sure. Blame it on Gelpas. Just to get back at Pelltar, we crash at his place overnight.

Posted Image

And after waking up we go talk to the pretty princess guard who is too cool to be disturbed on her day off.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes, we are. What can you tell us?

Posted Image About the thefts? Nothing really. None of them have been in this part of town.

Posted Image I am more curious about the recently hanged bandit you were guarding.

Posted Image You mean Reynard? Nothing special with his nasty self. Why you ask?

Posted Image Nothing happened while he hanged there?

Posted Image No. Should it?

Posted Image Maybe. We have information that a group of bandits was looking for a magical item. That item is made from the hand of a dead thief or bandit.

Posted Image Well, nothing happened on my watch. So bugger off.

Posted Image No, I can tell you are lying to me. Tell me what happened. I can always tell Gelpas that you are being uncooperative.

Posted Image Alright, alright. But you can't tell anyone! One night I thought I saw someone near the body. I scared 'em off and didn't think anything about it. The next morning I discovered that Reynard's left hand was cut off. I didn't want to get in trouble so I brought him down and buried him in the graveyard. I covered everything up by telling the sergeant that the body was starting to fall apart. Until now, no one has asked any questions.

Posted Image Can you show us where you buried him? I want to examine the body.

Posted Image What?! Are you mad? Gelpas will lock me up for this if he finds out.

Posted Image Then I suggest we do it now and don't talk to him about it.

Posted Image Alright. I'll take you to the grave.

Posted Image

Posted Image Now, we dig him up and confirm your story.

Posted Image

Posted Image Looks like someone killed him, see the marks on his neck? Someone crushed his throat. Didn't you realize you had two bodies in there?

Posted Image No! I mean, well, the coffin was too heavy for me. So some of the guys helped me but we had a hard time carrying it over here. I nailed down the lid! I didn't notice anything unusual.

Posted Image It looks like someone pulled the lid off. See where some of the nails are bent and reused. There are marks on the bottom edge from a prybar or something.

Posted Image Well, someone killed Bomarc. He may have been a grumpy little gnome but murder is not acceptable in this town. Someone needs to be brought to justice.

Posted Image We already went to the lighthouse and dispatched the thief. It looks like the bastard killed poor Bomarc. We'll let Pelltar know what happened to him.

Posted Image Please do. I got to get back to my post. I will send someone up here to rebury these two.

You know, I didn't realize this before, but those mausoleums are open!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Great power is here.

I order Safana to search harder, but she cannot find anything more. The lazy bitch! The sword knows, yes it does. Then we look in the second mausoleum.

Posted Image

This time Safana does a much more acceptable job.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image As I remained here, thoughts filled with flames.

I think it's talking about Restenford in general. Mine too, Meta Infernum, mine too. We need to get out of here before I slip and burn everything down.

Posted Image

Posted Image We found poor Bomarc stuffed into a fresh grave along with the thief Reynard who was hanged just recently.

Posted Image So the overlords are at it again? This is the most extreme tactic they have used on us. I will notify Gelpas and the baron immediately. You have done a great service for this town.

That's what you said last time, Pelltar.

Posted Image Good. I hope I am done here, I need to finish my own quest back on the mainland.

Posted Image Indeed, we can never thank you enough. I will cast the spells to send you back. I will take the Glorious Hand, my students will find it worth studying. Since it only affects humanoids, I can't imagine it being of much use to a powerful adventurer like yourself.

Posted Image Hey now! You guys are leaving this lovely town? I'm sorry, but I need to stick around. The Baroness may not like me but her daughter sure does. I just have to keep working on her. After all we just did, I should be a hero to the Baroness! Maybe I'll see you on the coast someday. Goodbye.

The little Beguiler waves goodbye as Pelltar casts his spell. Then the world fades to black, and we reappear at the Song of the Morning Temple.

Gameplay note: We also get 6,000 xp!

Never before have I been so happy to see this place.

Posted Image

But wait... what about all that equipment Fabio was wearing?! I start to work up to a huge curse, but Safana just smiles. She says she got it, every single piece. I quickly take a look in her pack.

Posted Image

Wow, even the armor! I ask her how she could possibly have stolen the armor off of Fabio. She just raises an eyebrow and walks off, sashaying all the way.

Gameplay note: That makes Fabio the second person to go into our Chapter of the Deserters, and for a girl no less. I'll be updating the character summaries now and post them later.

#417 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I notice your goon squad is debating multiclass kitting.
While Imoen with Kit and mage kit is out of the question, you can use the NPC Kitpack to make Nalia an Adventurer with a specialist school of your choice. Any of the 8. It's a bit late to do the same for Immy though.

#418 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yay - no more Bone Hill that is cluttering up this LP!!!! I'm not thinking of getting that mod....
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#419 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Posted Image

29 Marpenoth, 1369

I have let everyone rest at the Jovial Juggler. I have come to High Hedge alone, because there is something I must do. I speak to Thalantyr. After some negotiation, he agrees to let me use his facilities. He even sells me the potion I need.

Posted Image

Then I move into position to get my focus.

Posted Image

I know, my sword, I know. I wrap the weave around myself in a protective shell.

Posted Image

Thus protected, I seek a boon from the Weave - greater protection than ever before. I plead. I beg.

Posted Image

I feel a horrible tingling sensation in my legs.

Posted Image

But I try again.

Posted Image

Goddamn do I love myself! I am dead sexy!

I try again.

Posted Image

I must not fail!

Posted Image

It works! But something.. something is wrong here. The Weave does not behave in the way I had expected, or even hoped.

Posted Image

Once protected, I cannot be protected again. I see now, and understand. This is some hard-won knowledge. Hard-won, and hard-fought. I am exhausted. I stumble up to Thalantyr and ask for a bed. He helps me, somewhat kindly even.

Posted Image

The next day after I wake, I try again. I know now exactly what I can and cannot do with the Weave.

First, step one. I use Rhialto's Spellbook for this one.

Posted Image

I drink the potion.

Posted Image

Then, I proceed to step 2.

Posted Image

Bah, failure!

Again!

Posted Image

YES!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image A one time wish.

Posted Image

Posted Image I wish for a powerful magical item.

Posted Image Then you shall have it.

And with that, the djinni makes a gesture, then casts Dimension Door and disappears through it. I feel a great weight in my pack.

Posted Image

I try some more times, but the results are not encouraging.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eh, I should probably quit while I'm ahead.

Posted Image

But the next day sees me right back where I started, casting again. I succeed another time!

Posted Image

Posted Image A one time wish.

Posted Image Choose wisely then, as I can perform each of these tasks once and once only.

Posted Image I wish to be rich.

Posted Image Rich you want, then rich you shall be.

My pockets are filled with gems!

Posted Image

Ok, NOW I should quit. I did that without even using a Potion of Insight. I'm surprised it worked. I thank Thalantyr for the use of his place and head back to the Jovial Juggler. It is time to put my team back together!

I arrive at the steps of the Jovial Juggler on a dark and stormy night. I am alone in the pelting darkness, only my mule for company. I stop to contemplate the way my life has gone. I look out into the rain. I take Haiass' whistle, and blow on it in slight hope.

Posted Image

He doesn't come. I can only hope we can recover his remains from the bandit camp. I need his comforting presence again.

Posted Image No more talk and wonder.

The sword wakes me from my morose contemplation. I was almost acting like Xan! I turn to my mule and re-assess my equipment. If I am going to be using Meta Infernum all the time, then I don't really need to be carrying around these quarterstaves. And if I put them on the mule, I can carry the Teddy Bear of Protection +2 myself. Also, if I take off this Ring of Protection +1 and put on the Ring of Fire Resistance, I can also wear the Amulet of Protection +1. And finally, if I switch out my Robe of Fire Resistance for an Adventurer's Robe, I can be quite well protected.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, this is perfect. Fire can never harm me, and everything else will probably have a hard time as well. As for spells, well, the sword has been giving me some ideas.

I feel ready. I feel prepared. Time to face the others.

Posted Image

Posted Image Headlong rushes are fine with me. But we don't have space in the party for another mage right now. Perhaps Dynaheir would be willing to remain behind, at least for now?

Posted Image Minsc and Boo and Dynaheir are a team! And one which takes up very little space. We should remain together!

Posted Image Nay, Minsc, we should respect Syvishtara's judgment. We owe him much. Fare thee well, I shall be safe here and we will meet again before long.

I guess with her intimate familiarity with magic, Dynaheir has no problems referring to me as my true gender. I wish I had as firm belief in it as she does - sometimes I find it difficult to remember what it was like to be a man.

But I turn to the task at hand, which is equipping Minsc. Of course I want him wielding the Flame of the North. He is one of the few who can. And I want him using the Gauntlets of Power Attacks to do it. This Full Plate Mail +2 that I conjured through the djinni is perfect for him. I also want him to be forever kicking ass and taking names. That means he needs to be immune to Entangle, Grease, and Web via wearing the Gnomish Boots. He also needs to be resistant to fire, so he takes the Crystal Helm. I give him the Ring of Regeneration, the Girdle of Bluntness, and a Cloak of Protection +1 to round out his melee skill. Finally, just in case, I give him Kivan's old Composite Long Bow +2. He might need it. All decked out, he strikes an impressive figure.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I have the exact same AC as Minsc, and only 7 less hit points. Tankmage endures!

Then it is time to pick up Finch. But Finch is being unreasonable.

Posted Image

Come on Finchy-poo, think of all the treasure you can get!

Posted Image

Think of all the books you can buy with that treasure!

Posted Image

I promise I won't let Minsc kill you ever again!

Posted Image

'atta girl! Now lets get you suited up.

Gameplay note: I am bypassing a problem that Finch's script has in that she doesn't respond to talking after she's been kicked out. I consoled in some necklaces in order to bribe her because it is a bug workaround. We didn't gain or lose anything.

She grabs her old Flail +2, Medium Shield +1 and Boots of the Forgotten Ones right away. She can also slip right into the Crystal Plate Mail, which is good because the Ebon Plate is too heavy for her. She puts on a Helm of Glory and takes a Sling +1. Then she loads up on bullets and slips on the Ring of Protection +1. With her compact frame, she actually looks more protected than either me or Minsc.

Posted Image

For spells, she loads up on heals for level 1, and Hold Persons and Silences for level 2. She'll get level 3 spells soon, most definitely.

Next, I go back in to rouse Kivan from his brooding. We are finally going to do what he has always wanted to do. We are going to take out the bandit camp.

Posted Image

Posted Image I would tend to agree. Perhaps we should rejoin and continue on our way.

Posted Image A wise choice. Lead on.

Kivan can wear the Ebon Plate Mail, and I must admit that he looks badass in it.

Posted Image

But it obstructs his movement, and he feels safer just using the Gift of the Woods bracers. Also, of course, he takes the Boots of the Forest. I give him the Girdle of Piercing, assuming that he's going to be the one going head-to-head with most of the bandit archers. He picks up the Helm of Glory, saying that it covers his head better. He hefts his Spear of Fire, sometimes useful. But of course he straps on the Quiver of Plenty +1 and takes up the bow Strong Arm +2. When he is fully equipped, I see a feeling of peace descend upon him. Kivan knows his vengeance is nigh.

Posted Image

#420 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I go in again to pick up Safana.

Posted Image

Posted Image Indeed. I have a definite need for your particular type of... talents.

Posted Image I'm sure you do. Lead and I shall follow.

I realize that Safana has proficiencies in crossbows, but I've been having her throw darts and throwing daggers for the longest time. I'm silly sometimes. I go to the store real quick and pick up a light crossbow for her.

Posted Image While we're here... I need quills and parchment and some Thayvian ink!

Safana has been doing so well as a werewolf that I see no need for her to change. She takes the cloak she found so long ago. She also stocks up on bolts for her new crossbow. She puts on a Leather Armor +3 and the Boots of the North, just for the fun of it. She also loads up on Potions of Invisibility and Potions of Master Thievery, though she should share with Imoen. Finally, she gets her Dagger +2. She is no longer using the Teddy Bear of Protection, which makes her more vulnerable, but not that much more vulnerable.

Posted Image

And then there's only one person to gather up. I've saved the best for last!

Posted Image

Posted Image Sorry to have kept you waiting. Lets get going.

Posted Image You bet! We'll nick ourselves a whole purse o' fun before the night is through!

When Imoen begins taking her customary equipment out of the mule, she pulls out Finch's Glasses. Finch squeals in indignation and says "So that's where they were!" She demands them back and refuses to wear anything else on her head. She puts the Helm of Glory back on the mule. Imoen tries to suppress a giggle and takes out the Shadow Armor +3 and the Nymph Cloak, her two best items of clothing. Then she equips her Tuigan Bow +1 and her Ninja-to +2, and she's almost ready to go. She picks up the idol she took from that dig site way back in the day, and then she and Safana negotiate about the potions of invisibility and master thievery. Then, she is ready to go.

Posted Image

Tomorrow. Tomorrow we are going to kill every last bandit in this region.

Posted Image

The day after tomorrow. The day after tomorrow we are going to kill every bandit in this region.

We arrive after a gruelling 28 hour trek, and decide to rest until morning. We manage to rest without anyone noticing us.

Posted Image

As soon as we wake up, we begin executing the plan. The first thing that we do is that everyone drinks an Oil of Speed.

Posted Image

Next, everyone drinks more potions while I cast Mirror Image via a scroll. Potions of Defense, Heroism, Agility, Strength - they drink whatever they think will give them an edge. I begin to cast my third spell when the evil mage Venkt shows up, interrupting our plan. He must be destroyed. Hopped up on potions as we are, everybody dogpiles him. He loses a spell, tries to run, and dies like a sucker to Kivan's arrow.

Posted Image

No more glitterdust for you, asshole. We don't see any more bandits anywhere near, so we finish our regimen. Everyone drinks more potions, and I summon a lesser earth elemental. Finch gives us all the Chant, and then we are ready to go.

Posted Image

We let the elemental stride ahead of us. Hopefully it will attract all the attention and keep us safe. Besides, I have a plan...

Posted Image

I send Kivan in to make sure that the elemental is being attacked. It is.

Posted Image

So I enact the second phase of my plan. I cast Cloudkill right behind it.

Posted Image

It should be fine. Its an elemental, after all. What could go wrong?

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Apparently nothing! bwahahaha. Cloudkill only damages creates with 6 hit dice or more via poison, and the earth elemental is immune to poison.

But the plan is not perfect. To the north of us bandits appear on the path. Also, Britik, the gnoll leader of the Chill, apparently dodges my Cloudkill and emerges from the trees.

Posted Image

Minsc grabs the Flame of the North to engage Britik, but Kivan takes him out before Minsc can close the distance. I go north to try to do something about the Black Talon Elites up there. They chip away at my mirror images while I cast a Web at them.

Posted Image

The Web hits and entangles some, but not all, of the bandits to the north. I redirect Minsc up there to draw the fire of the ones who are still active, and then everyone else follows after in a firing line.

Posted Image

To the east, the Cloudkill claims more victims.

Posted Image

And to the North, I do what must be done. Besides, the Flame of the North and the Crystal Helm will protect him. Mostly.

Posted Image

I hear screams of death and dying from the east. My elemental must be doing well.

Posted Image

But there is someone alive... someone alive in the Cloudkill? What's going on? I tell Kivan to take him out quick.

Up north, Minsc is mopping up the lightly toasted bandits. One of them gets smart and drinks a Potion of Freedom.

Posted Image

And Kivan takes out another one from the east.

Posted Image

Somehow one of the bandits manages to hit Finch with an arrow. She drinks a potion to compensate, but still that was troubling.

Posted Image

Up north, Minsc stands surrounded by nothing but corpses. We have no more to fear from the north, I think.

Posted Image

But we do from the east. Another bandit gets an arrow into Finch. Why Finch, I wonder? Do they know she is our cleric?

Posted Image

I tell her to retreat behind our lines until she can drink another healing potion. Then, in a mental communication from my elemental, I know that a new major combatant has entered the fight.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Full dislosure - at this point the game crashed, which it had done more than 5 times already. But this time I managed to redo the fight to be almost exactly the same way as what is recorded so I just picked up at this point. The only difference is the location of Taugosz Khosann, who didn't stop by the elemental the second time but came straight for the party. Also, a wild surge of mine had hit Finch, giving her spellcasting failure from being Dizzy. It is easily explainable as her not liking huge confusing battles.

Then Taugosz Khosann is through the Cloudkill and upon us. Safana decides that this is a good time to become a werewolf, and then she attacks Taugosz.

Posted Image

Taugosz drinks a potion right before he enters melee. I am worried for our fighters.

Posted Image

Taugosz strikes Safana a mighty blow, as I try to drain the life from him.

Posted Image

The melee is a confusing mess. Taugosz hits Safana again, and Finch rushes in to heal her. But she can't quite get a spell off, so I order her and Safana to back away. Then Taugosz attacks Kivan, who switches to his spear.

Posted Image

But Safana doesn't listen to me. She doesn't listen to anyone.
[berserked or something?] She just keeps wailing away at Taugosz. Finch tries to come in for another heal, but fails again. Taugosz attacks her and I tell her to run away as far north as she can.

Posted Image

Finch, the good companion that she is, listens to me. She is caught in the Web that is still active north of our position. I did that on purpose. It is the best solution right now all around. I also realize that I am ill-prepared for a magical onslaught against one person. So I prepare to walk on the wild side. I cast Chaos Shield.

Posted Image

The Chaos Shield surrounds me. Then I reach through the weave for a lightning bolt in the only way I know how.

Posted Image

I am glad Branwen is not here to see what happens next.

Posted Image

Taugosz Khosann's skin becomes a lifeless gray, and all motion ceases as his body turns to stone. That is one second before Minsc shouts out "Ah hay!!" and strikes him with the full force of the Flame of the North.

Posted Image

But Safana seems to not know the battle is over. she turns to fight Kivan, and he has to run away to avoid her claws. She is still not listening to anyone's commands.

Posted Image

I turn to speak to Minsc, to thank him for the killing blow on Taugosz, but I can't find him. Then I see him far off in the trees, killing some poor, hapless bandit.

Posted Image

Finch becomes unstuck from the Web, so we all decide to move further into the bandit camp. And what should come striding out, barely injured and ready to fight a hundred more enemies?

Posted Image

All together, we move into the bandit camp. Safana even begins to tag along. What was wrong with her, I wonder? Some bestial fury taking over? I am interrupted with a sight of more bandits.

Posted Image

Well, one more bandit. That gets ruthlessly slaughtered by a team of Minsc and a lesser earth elemental.

Posted Image

We advance into the bandit camp, and I feel like our chances are pretty damn good. But then, in a flash of yellow light, the elemental disappears.

Posted Image

His time with us has ended, and he returns to his home plane. I feel a sense of profound loss. When can I see him again?

We walk through what is now a strangely deserted camp.

Posted Image

I'm not sure if Finch is bragging about how many books she's read or complaining about how little grass is here in this muddy encampment. Supplies and wagons and boxes are piled high everywhere. There is a cave here.

Edited by Usurper, 18 April 2012 - 04:51 AM.