Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#341 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sure. Bribe him. While you are at it, tell him to fix his Nalia romance mod, and get him back to work on Classic Adventures.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#342 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

C. Go to Bald Hill, kill bandits, and don't bribe Sean Connery, you'll have to call him Sir all the time and that's lame.
(PS : your LP is freaking awesome !)

Edited by Sanctifer, 08 March 2012 - 12:38 AM.

« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#343 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

I vote against bribing him. It's not like we need more NPC:s...

#344 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

(PS : your LP is freaking awesome !)

Thanks man! I'm always happy to hear compliments :).
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#345 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Now people have started to demand that I kill Sir BillyBob, but I don't think its possible. To show how difficult it would be I will do an alternate reality vision assault upon him in the next update to see how quickly he owns the party.
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#346 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

I looked on the main thread, and holy poo-poo: Staff of the Magi? Robe of Venca, not the Item Rev. Larloch Robe? Ring of Gaxx? I'd really want to see, if only for a big trainwreck. Maybe Ankaris Garth (not sure on the spelling) will come and assist Billy with the battle.

(ps: do you even know who Ankaris Garth is?)
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#347 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

heh, nope!

#348 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Spoiler

Edited by William Imm, 09 March 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#349 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

"Arkanis Gath" ...isn't he only in SoA (chapters 2/3) ??
LotN

#350 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

@Usurper:

-Lovin' this LP!

Could you plz link to the original-thread.
I did manage to find it once, but it took me a while... have cleared my history since then.
LotN

#351 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Sure, here it is: http://forums.someth...hreadid=3435303

Only problem is that it is only available for public viewing sometimes, depending on what the forums get set to. They periodically open up sections of the forums to the public and then close them later so that people want to join.

#352 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

Here are the voting results:

Which way should we go?

A. Tri-Top
B. Thief's Den ...
C. Bald Hill ...............
We also had quite a discussion about Sir BillyBob.

Sir BillyBob impromptu discussion suggestions:

A. Bribe him .
B. Don't bribe him ......
C. Kill him .........

So, by popular demand, I will try to kill Sir BillyBob. Once. But if it doesn't work, I will show you what happened as an alternate reality vision and move on to Bald Hill.

#353 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Posted Image

29 Eleint, 1369

As my party and I prepare to go, I wonder... Sir BillyBob is the person who told us everything, and we just blindly believed him and went to do his bidding. But is he really what he says he is? After all, we're on a strange island in the middle of nowhere and we know nothing. Can we really trust him? I realize that there is something I must do. I must use the Leaves.

I try not to think about them, but they are always there, just out of sight. The thousand thousand alternate paths that my life could take, each one a leaf on a twig on a branch on a trunk of a great, great tree, planted back in the mists of time when... I do not dare to look. I am not ready for that knowledge. The only thing I want to know is to look sideways for now, to other leaves, for signs of Sir BillyBob. So we go back, and I look. I stare hard at the mage, and try to seek out the next twig over. If I squint my eyes, and tilt my head just right, I can see it.

---
Trunk and branch, twig and leaf,
Memory is a reality thief.
---

I drink a Potion of Regeneration, Branwen drinks a Potion of Magic Blocking, Fabio drinks a Potion of Defense, Imoen and Safana drink Potions of Master Thievery, and Kivan drinks a Potion of Heroism.

Posted Image

Then Branwen and I drink Potions of Absorption, Fabio drinks a Potion of Magic Protection, Imoen and Safana drink Oils of Speed, and Kivan drinks a potion of Storm Giant Strength.

Posted Image

Then while Branwen drinks a potion of Defense and Imoen drinks a Potion of Power, I use the scroll I have on hand to summon my first elemental.

Posted Image

Then Branwen Blesses us all and begins her Chant, and we are ready to begin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Imoen and Safana start off by going behind Sir BillyBob and ... disappearing. Safana isn't so good at this so she has to use a Potion of Invisibility.

Posted Image

Then, as one woman, both of them lunge in for the attack. I send in my earth elemental as well.

Posted Image

I begin to prepare for my ultimate magical assault, with Chaos Shield.

Posted Image

Imoen hits with a few magic missiles, and Branwen casts Miscast Magic at him...

Posted Image

...but it is resisted. Through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, protected by Chaos Shield, I try to summon a lesser fire elemental.

Posted Image

A roaring column of fire flashes down upon me...

Posted Image

... and when its over, I have two!

Posted Image

I send them both in to join the grand melee. Branwen gets done with her second spell by that time, Summon Insects. She casts it at Sir BillyBob. That is when I notice something wrong with this whole picture.

Posted Image

He's not fighting back. He is just standing there. The insects reach him but he just doesn't care.

Posted Image

Well, if he's not going to fight back, I'm going to join the melee!

Posted Image

No matter what we do to him, we can only ever do minimal damage.

Posted Image

The insects disappear and he just stands there. One fire elemental disappears and he just stands there. The earth elemental disappears and he just stands there. It is infuriating!

Posted Image

The final fire elemental disappears and then it is just me and my friends beating on an old man with a stick. We feel a little foolish. A strange energy flies down from the sky above and slams into Sir BillyBob too, hitting him with enough force to fry anything.

Posted Image

But the old man just stands there. Eventually, not knowing what else to do, we just kinda stop hitting him. He still just stands there.

---
Trunk and branch, twig and leaf,
Memory is a reality thief.
---

I pull back from the vision. That must have been just my imagination, and my imagination's inability to go through with killing an innocent old farmer. There's no way an indestuctible, godlike being has a farm and kills orcs for a hobby on the Isle of Lendore, is there? Not knowing what else to do, I take the party north, to Bald Hill. I just can't stay at the farm. It creeps me out.

Posted Image

When we get to Bald Hill, it is after midnight. We make camp.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image I am not sure I am truly convinced in the efficiency of that sword. Be there a blade between us or not, you would not be safe from my embrace. But I have heard of a ranger who used a dire wolf for that purpose. That might be more efficient.

Posted Image Sounds like a thing Kivan would do, if some lady imagined she could replace his dear Deheriana. It would be a hamster in Minsc's case, I guess.

Posted Image The name of the ranger in question was Jon. But do you imply 'tis a typical demeanor for rangers?

Posted Image Hmm, you were talking about rangers, and I was thinking of those I chanced to meet. No, wait, I forgot Drizzt Do'Urden! Ahem, bad example, I am afraid.

Posted Image Bad example indeed, Syvishtara.

Posted Image Have you ever heard about the courtesan in Waterdeep who approached him thinking he was sufficiently drunk? Not only did Drizzt politely refuse her nineteen times, but on the twentieth he set his ale aside, pulled out his diary, and started reading her an excerpt on the chivalry and 'honorable' ways of love! They say that poor girl refuses to enter that inn ever since.

Posted Image Branwen, that... that cannot be true!

Posted Image Mayhap the tale is a tad embellished, but I have heard it from a very reliable source. But 'tis late already. Could we not forgo this discussion, and do some research on the ways of love instead?

We do.

Posted Image

The next morning I cast Armor and we go exploring. We know nothing about this place, so we have a lot of ground to cover.

Posted Image

#354 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Not ten minutes in, we find an expansively eloquent orc.

Posted Image

Posted Image Your home?

Posted Image Yes, we live here near Bald Hill. Oh, the ground isn't great for farming but local travelers help provide us with what we need.

Posted Image Yes, you mentioned "us" several times now. I assume the orcs hiding around us are part of this "us"?

Posted Image Yes! It is good that you can see them. I always think that people should see their killers before they die. Attack men!

And suddenly we are surrounded by orks. [Not orcs, apparently?]

Posted Image

I lead off with a Horror, causing several of the orks near me to panic. One of them also hits me with some sort of arrow.

Posted Image

Safana transforms into her werewolf form, and I have to gulp down a potion from all these assaults.

Posted Image

Safana shows Krellus that it is generally not a good idea to try to ambush women who can turn into werewolves at will.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: woohoo! It has been a long time since I could put a portrait into the Chapter of the Dead. But this guy is goin' in!

We quickly mop up the other bandits.

Posted Image

One of them evades us with a Potion of Invisibility though.

Posted Image

Safana is on a roll today.

Posted Image

Then the bandit that disappeared shows up again with a knife in my back!

Posted Image

Fabio turns to attack him, but he disappears yet again right in front of our very eyes!

Posted Image

I guess he can do this two or three more times, and I don't want to die, so I cast Mirror Image. They come up just in time to thwart his next attack.

Posted Image

Imoen is able to catch him with a few Magic Missiles.

Posted Image

And I am even able to hit him with my staff. But Kivan is the one who gets the killing blow here.

Posted Image

And also on the final ork around the bend.

Posted Image

As we are getting our bearings and making sure everyone is dead, Branwen stares at the ground and says,

Posted Image

Posted Image What? Branwen, what are you talking about?

Posted Image I"ve told you the other day of the malady that afflicted my thoughts. Have you forgotten already?

Posted Image My thoughts turned to our current path, and I found it barren and unsatisfying. Not your path, surely. Your destiny is bright and promising, and foes flee your wrath in most disgraceful and hurried manners. 'Twas my failures I was repulsed with, for I neglected my duties greatly. I no longer revel in righteous battles, and neither do I seek proving myself in Tempus's eyes. I spend hours awake stroking your hair and dreading the moment you stir, because it would mean another march, and another battle. I have come to fear death, while months before, every day was a fine day to die.

Posted Image I must flee you, Syvishtara. You have damned me with weakness, if unwillingly, and I cannot let it spread and consume me.

Posted Image Why should it trouble you so? There is place for everything, Branwen, for the hatred in battle as well as for warmth and comfort at night.

Posted Image Syvishtara, a true follower of Tempus should embrace conflict, not shrink from the challenge; harness the battle and be made stronger for it, not tremble in fear for herself and her lover.

Posted Image But no, 'twas a mistake to inflict my troubles upon you. 'Tis time alone I need, to purge my doubts and settle my thoughts. I shall sleep by myself tonight.

I am taken aback, and do not know what to say. She will sleep by herself? Then what about me? What will I do? I'm not sure if I can even get through the night without another body next to me. I stare at Branwen as she walks away. Behind me, Kivan and Imoen are looting the bodies. Imoen is making a big deal out of a new gem we have never seen before, a Star Sapphire.

Posted Image

Krellus had it. He was also wielding some normal weapons and wearing a +1 chainmail. Nothing special there. The thief, Gorharg, has some Waterstar Gems on him.

Posted Image

Also a Potion of Invisibility and an excellent dagger and longsword. But nothing much else of note.

Even though we've already killed what looks to be the bandit leader, we barely know anything about this place. We continue to explore. What we find is more orks.

Posted Image

We attack it at once, but it retreats to the mouth of a cave just north of us. Thinking it may be a trap, we stop to catch our breath before going in.

Posted Image

Branwen casts Aid on me, her, and Fabio, since we will be the three front-line fighters. Then we go into the cave. We do find another orc, but it is not much of an ambush.

Posted Image

Kivan takes care of that ork,

Posted Image

and the next one too.

Posted Image

We notice the wagons in the back, and realize they were merchant wagons.

Posted Image

And I manage to kill the final ork!

Posted Image

Safana finds some kind of tiny hidey-hole

Posted Image

It has 100 gold and two pearls in it. She's got a good eye.

Posted Image

So now we know what happened to the caravans and we killed the bandit leader. And we're just getting started in Bald Hill!

#355 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

With confidence we march right out of that cave, around the corner, and straight into another ork who almost kills me!

Posted Image

I drink a potion and run away, and Fabio manages to kill it.

Posted Image

We continue east, and all together this time. It is a good thing we do, because we find a group of orc barbarians waiting for us.

Posted Image

I have horrible flashbacks to the slaughter of my whole party in the Valley of the Tombs, so I reach for my wand and Fireball the lot of them. Unfortunately I get Fabio and Branwen in the blast too.

Posted Image

I tell everyone to focus on the orc in front, but then the archer in back hits me with a nasty shot.

Posted Image

I have to retreat and drink a potion.

Posted Image

Fabio is the new target of the orcs' wrath, and almost dies. But Branwen hits him up with one of her new spells and he's back in business.

Posted Image

He also manages to get off a Mirror Image. Hopefully that will be enough for him to tank the orcs.

Posted Image

It helps Fabio, but it doesn't help Branwen. She gets hit hard. I wince in sympathy pain for her.

Posted Image

I also unleash my Ring of Energy and begin to sweep around.

Posted Image

Imoen fails a Charm Person and gets hit hard for her troubles. Branwen drinks a healing potion but takes another hit too.

Posted Image

They both retreat, and Imoen drinks a Potion of Invisibility to get away. She loses the orcs.

Posted Image

Fabio manages to kill one of the orcs, but also gets seriously injured in the process.

Posted Image

Safana runs out of throwing daggers during the fight, and decides to go toe-to-toe with raging orc barbarians. She soon learns her lesson. At least Kivan kills another at the same time.

Posted Image

Fabio prevents the other orc from chasing after Safana, and takes it on himself. This gives Kivan time to kill it too.

Posted Image

And finally, after I spent so much time distracting the Orc Archer with my intense melee skills, Kivan kills it too. His eyes seem to widen slightly at this last kill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: He now has the Called Shot ability. When he activates it, any shot he makes within the next 10 seconds gets -1 to the THAC0 of the target, now at level 4, and more stuff later.

Off the orcs we get nothing of note but 3 Arrows of Ice +1. But we are sore, tired, beaten, and out of spells. We must go back to town for today. Also, we drank up all of our available healing potions. This is hard work!

When we get back to Restenford, we visit the store. After unloading the mule and selling all the junk we hauled in, we have 2,000 gold. That means I can buy the last spell there, Non-Detection.

Posted Image

I snap it up.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is the super-invisible invisible spell. I actually haven't used this spell before. But I guss if you cast this first, and then cast invisibility, you will really stay invisible no matter what the enemy casts, until you reveal yourself. Huh. Interesting.

I also buy a couple hundred darts for Safana, so she won't run out of ranged weapons in a fight ever again. Then we go back to the Tavern of the West Wind. In it, I find one more spell that I feel is essential and must buy - Vocalize.

Posted Image

With that, we all get rooms and go to sleep. I sleep the fitful sleep of the alone.

Posted Image

#356 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Posted Image

Higharvestide, 1369

Today is Higharvestide. I realize that I've been so busy trying to survive from one day to the next that I didn't even realize it was coming up. But we always had a great time in Higharvestide growing up in Candlekeep. And, of course, we learned all about its history from our teachers. I can still quote it now.

Higharvestide is the celebration of the coming of fall, and is definitely worth celebrating, as autumn is without a doubt the most beautiful season in all the Dales. The festival falls between Eleint and Marpenoth (September and October), but unlike the other four major festivals Higharvestide usually lasts until the harvest is over.

Higharvestide is a time of plenty for all, and even the poorest will get enough to eat from the generosity of the others in their community. There is always a constant stream of food and ale on the tables set up in the center of town, and all are welcome, local or traveller alike.

Traditions vary from community to community, but most have various contests such as pumpkin carving, axe throwing, archery; and in Shadowdale they even host a challenge to see who can make the gooiest carmel apple, the best apple pie, and the hottest chili. Regardless of the outcome of the contests, everyone goes home happy, content, and with a belly that would envy a halfling.

The Chaunteans observe the Prayers of the Harvest at this time of year, a relatively somber day when compared to the revelry going on throughout the Dales. This holiest of holy days thanks Chauntea for the bounty she has given the community over the past year. It should be noted that this observance does not always fall exactly on Higharvestide, instead being moved as needed to coincide with a given township's actual harvest day or days.

While most people choose to or have to stay in town for the harvest, there is a great deal of traveling at this time. Pilgrims of various religious orders, dignitaries and ambassadors, and even Jack Mooney & Co. Traveling Circus make haste to reach distant destinations before winter weather freezes the rains into snow.

Higharvestide also has a traditional melody that is undoubtedly familiar to millions of people throughout the Realms.

I cannot ask my companions to fight orcs on this day so we spend the day in the tavern getting well sloshed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

WooOoOOOoooo Higharvestide!

Posted Image

Yaaaaaa Higharvestide!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: I don't know how much you guys care about St. Patrick's day, but I had a pretty good time and that's kinda spilling over into the game ;). And it really is Higharvestide in the game! The automatic in-game journal-dating says so. So wooo!

After a day of festivities, and a day of recovery, we head out back to Bald Hill to finish clearing out the orc bandits. The last thing we want for more orc bandits to show up and have them undo most of our hard work.

Gameplay note: You can report back to Sir BillyBob and/or Pelltar now and tell them that you thought you got all of the bandits, and they will accept it. But the quest wouldn't be truly over, so we can't have that!

Posted Image

We get back on the hunt for more orc bandits, and we soon find another ork. Since it is alone we rush into the attack.

Posted Image

The ork severely injures me right away. I am forced to retreat.

Posted Image

Branwen completely obliterates the ork in my stead.

Posted Image

Then she heals me fully. I love this woman, even if she isn't sleeping with me right now. After consulting with my party members, we think we have managed to walk around a triangular rock outcropping large enough to hide a substantial bandit force on its top. We decide to climb up to the top to check it out.

Posted Image

We find another lone ork archer at the top of one section of the outcropping. Maybe a scout.

Posted Image

Kivan takes this one out. He is still a death machine.

Posted Image

But those two are the only orks that we find up here.

Posted Image

Posted Image Ah, the forest, with plenty of privacy. If only I had a lady to enjoy it with...

Dropping some pretty heavy hints there Fabio? We move on, and find another bluff to scale. At the top of it, we find a few orks and a pet snake of theirs.

Posted Image

The giant snake rips into Fabio, and he looks like he might die from the assault right away. But then Kivan charms the snake with a quick whistle.

Posted Image

And Branwen and I both heal Fabio, preventing him from dying. He still seems a little sick, though.

Posted Image

As the fight wears on, he seems to feel better. I think he'll be fine. Also, I kill the ork in front of us!

Posted Image

Almost simultaneously Kivan and his new pet snake kill the other ork.

Posted Image

This very small ridge seems to be devoid of further monsters, ork, orc, or snake, so we continue on our methodical, murderous way, our pet snake in tow.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, before we meet any other enemies, the snake turns on us again. Kivan has to put it down this time. I wonder if that bothers him?

Posted Image

The next ork we encounter we murder with efficient boredom. Don't these guys know how to group up? Why are they single patrols all over?

Posted Image

Fabio kills the next one.

Posted Image

We climb up another butte and another ork stands there, ready to ambush us. I decide to use one of my spells, so I cast it. Blade Shower. It has been a while.

Posted Image

The four blades of chaos stuff fly out of my hand and puncture the ork in several nasty spots.

Posted Image

But still, Kivan is the one to kill it.

Posted Image

Another lone ork we find in the opposite direction. Whoever told these orks what to do did not have a head for strategy.

Posted Image

Kivan takes this one out too.

Posted Image

As we make our way further away from the cliffside and into the meadow up here, we find for more orcs. Four of them is a lot. I'm a little worried about this scenario.

Posted Image

So, I decide to take care of this another way. I throw a Potion of Explosions at them.

Posted Image

They, in turn, deem me the greatest threat and all go after me. I turn to run merrily away, while Fabio gets in a few Magic Missiles.

Posted Image

Then, when Branwen has distracted most of them into fighting her instead of me, I throw a second potion at them all. That crystal armor of hers makes her almost immune to fire, after all.

Posted Image

But the worst scenario happens. Another group of orcs comes after us. I guess those single ork patrols were just scouts after all!

Posted Image

This is too much for us. I signal the retreat. I regret that I had not memorized Wild Horde earlier. The bunnies are always willing to get us out of tight situations. We all head for the narrow path down the butte. To cover our retreat, I throw a fireball from the Wand of Fire. It is glorious.

Posted Image

Then I am able to do it again before we go down the trail.

Posted Image

Branwen manages to heal herself and get off a Chant before we are engaged again, this time on a narrow trail. Safana joins forces with Branwen and is hurt for her troubles.

Posted Image

But she pops a potion and seems better. An extremely short but vicious battle ensues next, where Safana and the nearest orc tear into each other in a bloody frenzy. She barely escapes alive.

Posted Image

I yell at her to retreat and go back to ranged combat, but that leaves an opening in the trail. I try to fill it and I receive a nasty cut as well. In response, I pop Mirror Image.

Posted Image

Imoen throws some more Magic Missiles at the nearest orc.

Posted Image

I suck the life out of him, and Kivan shoots him dead.

Posted Image

Then things get very confusing on the trail. I am not quite sure where everybody is, and then suddenly Fabio is dead.

Posted Image

I react almost instinctively, in horror. I touch Rhialto's holy spellbook and unleash a Horror upon all the orcs.

Posted Image

The Horror makes the orcs flee in all directions, and gives Branwen and I the opening we need to get away. How they had gotten behind us I simply do not know. I am able to regroup the party a few yards away, and throw another fireball from the Wand of Fire. A few orcs fall. Too many don't.

Posted Image

One more fireball and another orc dies. The others are on fire and look almost dead.

Posted Image

I hear Kivan shout out, "Ice Arrow left eye."

Posted Image

While at the same time, Branwen and I dance a delicate, deadly dance. She casts Cure Serious Wounds upon herself...

Posted Image

... one moment before I throw a final fireball right at her.

Posted Image

Two more orcs die while Kivan's Called Shot hits.

Posted Image

Branwen steps up to take the last orc off of me...

Posted Image

... while Kivan's second Called Shot hits.

Posted Image

#357 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

His last Called Shot hits, while Branwen takes some damage.

Posted Image

And I fire my Ring of Energy to save my beloved from death.

Posted Image

But in the end, she takes care of the beastie herself.

Posted Image

I didn't save her. She saved herself. I stand there in stunned silence, looking at the strong warrior woman before me. I realize that there is an insight worth knowing here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yes, there is quite a lot worth knowing from this fight. I immediately turn and rush back to town to do some research. When I get back to my room a the Tavern of the West Wind, I immediately hit the desk and open Rhialto's Holy Book.

Posted Image

Posted Image Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

Posted Image You spend some time, browsing through the book...

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Gymlainac's Lightbend."

Posted Image You succeed in learning the spell.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: A 2d4 bonus to Armor Class that lasts 10 rounds? That just makes my current staff-pounding fighting style even easier! With my current equipment, my normal AC is -1. I could have a maximum of -9 AC! Tankmage is here.

This Gymlainac is pretty good. He's no Rhialto, of course, but the mage's got style.

Posted Image

Posted Image Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Vile Word of Discord."

Posted Image You try to learn the spell, but it's too difficult, you need more experience in the art before you can learn it.

I am undaunted. I open the spellbook again.

Posted Image

Posted Image Close the book.

The page that came loose and fell out turns out to be a scroll of Resist Fear.

Posted Image

It is a spell I already know, but still useful nevertheless. I re-organize that page by putting it into Pelltar's Spellbook, and then go back to The Holy Book.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Try to learn the spell "Random Spell II."

Posted Image You succeed in learning the spell.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: A random 4th or 5th level spell. Some good ones to see show up from 4th level could be Confusion, Emotion - Hopelessness, Greater Malison, or Ice Storm. But some bad ones to cast on my enemies could be Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin, Teleport Field, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, or Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. Going on to level 5, we would like to see Chaos, Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, one of the elemental conjurations, Lower Resistance, or Hold Monster. But some bad ones to see would be Protection from Normal Weapons, Shadow Door, Spell Immunity, or Spell Shield. So basically its a crap shoot. And crap shoots are Syvishtara's speciality! I'l be memorizing this and casting it a lot.

The best idea ever! Let the weave directly decide which spell to cast. Obviously, this is the right way to go, because greater magical power will flow through me than would otherwise be possible. How can I go wrong here? I hold my breath for a moment in excited anticipation, then go back to studying the spellbook.

Posted Image

No, of course not. The spellbook probably filters the madness and only passes along pure, essential knowledge. Besides, the Weave would not let me go insane, would it? No, of course not. It is silly of me to doubt the Weave. But there is nothing else I can glean from Rhialto's works now. I sigh sadly. How long will I have to wait before learning the Vile Word of Discord? I am in a bad mood the rest of the day. No, of course not.

It is only after I have rested and bathed that Imoen approaches me to ask me, quietly, what we should do with Fabio. Fabio? I ask, frowning at her. There is nothing in Rhialto's spellbook about Fabio. She says the bard? The one we met in this very tavern? The one who died fighting the orcs? She says that they carried his corpse and equipment all the way back to town. She wants to know if I want to raise him.

OH! Right. I ponder, turning my gaze inward.

Ok guys, what should we do with Fabio? We are in a unique situation right now - we can't go back to the mainland until we are either completely done with the quests in Restenford or we have given up and decided to blow things off. So, we cannot follow our usual policy of replacing Fabio without foregoing the rest of the Secret of Bone Hill module. So, what do you think we should do?

A. Raise Fabio, continue questing here in Restenford.
B. Kick out the dead weight, we can save Restenford without the dead bard.
C. Screw Pelltar, screw Restenford, and screw the Isle of Lendore altogether. Take Fabio's corpse and blow this popsicle stand, we're going back to the Jovial Juggler to pick up Finch and kick some bandit ass.
D. Screw everything. Kick out the bard and lets get outta here. Finch and important things await us! Who wants to kill orks with a k when there are bandits to fight?

#358 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

D. I think Bone Hill is somewhat boring as a mod, and I think it's time to get back on to the main path.

(Oh, and do you want to dual Immy to a mage soon?)

#359 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

I'd say A - no sense in being a man down, and we can't leave Restenford just yet. We've barely started :)

#360 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yes, I am planning to dual Imoen to a mage. When is the best time for that, do you think? I was thinking of getting at least one of each of the bonuses from her charming rogue kit before dueling her, so that's like level 7?