Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#321 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hey guys I've been having a little computer trouble. I bought a new laptop but it had a faulty connection somewhere because it would not turn on for me sometimes. I've had some major trouble getting it replaced, but everything is back to normal now and life is good. I'll have another update in a few hours, I just wanted to let you know that I'm not dead.

Should we go to Restenford with one party slot open?

1. Kick out Safana ........
2. Kick out Xan ..........................................
3. Pick up Finch ...
4. Keep the party

Ok so via extremely popular vote, Xan is getting the boot. Gently.
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#322 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Posted Image

26 Eleint, 1369

With sadness in my heart, I talk to Xan. I tell him that he should rest for a while, get some sleep. He has been working too hard to protect me. He doesn't seem to object much, though, which kinda throws me off.

Posted Image

Posted Image Our paths must run apart for a while. If I should need your help again, though, we should rendezvous at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost.

Posted Image It makes no difference either way. I can await death as easily in one place as in another.

His intense depression does hit me hard in this goodbye. I don't want him gone forever, but he seems as though he will like to die soon. Branwen, though, seems to understand exactly how I feel. She does the perfect thing, right there in front of everyone.

Posted Image

Posted Image *She takes your hand gently, her fingers and palm robust, but her movements soothing.* You've suffered many losses recently, comrade. May Tempus strengthen your spirit for the battles to come.

I truly appreciate her words. It means a lot to me, especially since Xan is gone. She will have to join me on the front line. With that in mind, we go over the new equipment that I got. She gets the Crystal Plate Mail and the Crystal Helm. They're blue! She also takes Xan's old Ring of Fire Resistance. Altogether, she's almost completely immune to fire. I'll have to keep that in mind. She also gets the Girdle of Bluntness and the Gauntlets of Power Attacks. She is going to be formidable on the front line by my side.

Posted Image

While sifting through everything I realize that there is an extra scroll that I didn't notice before. I find it in Imoen's pile of things, actually. Is she trying to squirrel it away?

Posted Image

I copy it into my spellbook, which gives me 5 level 3 spells. But I can never remember these, no matter how hard I try. When will it be possible?

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Apparently in just 1600 xp! woot!

Posted Image

I also pass out the Gnomish Boots to Imoen, and the Teddy Bear of Protection to Safana. She holds it gingerly but understands its power. I take the Boots of Speed for myself, since Branwen already has the Boots of the Forgotten Ones, and give the Boots of the North to Safana as well. It looks like we are all set for what may come in Restenford. Because I've decided - we're leaving this cursed Sword Coast. I'm wiping the dust off of my Boots of Speed. I need to go somewhere where nobody knows who I am.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes.

Posted Image Wonderful. I won't bother updating your map. Since we are located off the mainland, you would need a ship to get there. So I will transfer us there.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: FUCK! But a quick google search led me to this topic, and I followed the procedure and booted BG2 back up. For those of you playing along at home, be careful about saying yes to Pelltar. He auto-saves for you, but after you've accepted the teleport. So when you reload you automatically teleport. Sneaky sneaky modders!

Posted Image

Posted Image You will find me either in my home or at the tower I have in the castle. Please let me know when you find anything unusual. When you are ready, I will send you back to the temple.

Posted Image Wow, we are on an island! Did you ever think we would travel so much? What should we do first?

Posted Image Go lay on the beach? I don't know. Maybe we should start talking to people to find out what is really going on here.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Do you like my new hairdo? I have the best hairdresser in the world.

Posted Image Wind will be your hairdresser, then?

Posted Image Northren wind hairdo - the style I prefer to any else.

Posted Image I like your style, Branwen. I always wanted to meet a woman who looked lovely without making an effort.

Posted Image I think you have just presented me with a challenge. I should take some time and help you to brush up your skills in gallant talk.

Posted Image You have my permission to tutor me in gallant matters, madam.

Posted Image I will take this task very close to my heart, Syvishtara.

So... where are we?

Posted Image

Gameplay note: We are at the extreme southwest portion of the map, far away from pretty much everything else.

We must be in the main area of Restenford. It looks like a pretty decent-sized town. Not as big as Beregost, but not as small as Nashkel either.

Posted Image

I have no idea where to go or what to do, though. I guess there is nothing to do but start to the southeast and work our way around.

Posted Image

Locked! Safana takes a crack at it, but says it is not a normal lock, and may even be warded. I guess this old lighthouse is going to be closed to us. The house next to it, though, is open.

Posted Image

Imoen and Safana share a glance and rush off giggling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Uh, sure, Safana. That's awfully nice of you...

Posted Image That's right, you have the feel for it now. Such a clever girl, reminds me of another pretty young thing I once knew...

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Wow, it really has! This is pretty awesome! I had no idea this would happen.

Posted Image

The dagger that they find is pretty sweet too.

Posted Image

Safana appropriates it. When they come back out of the house I feel a new kinship between them, and smile. It's good to see people making friends.

Posted Image This city is an example of man's excesses. Ugh... I wish we would be gone from this place.

Uh... thanks for spoiling the mood Kivan. Our next stop is this big manor house with all the trees.

Posted Image

It turns out to be Pelltar's house.

Posted Image

Posted Image No Pelltar, nothing yet. We will keep looking.

Gameplay note: The somewhat infuriating or intriguing part of the Secret of Bone Hill, the mod we are now doing, is that you can end it at any time and go back to what you were doing. But you can't come back to the island again until much later on in the game, and then it is for different quests. The whole mod is a much more open-ended and ambiguous way of playing Baldur's Gate, and I think it has some intriguing things going for it. And since this is a semi-ironman playthrough, I refuse to use any walkhroughs. Only the voices in my head can possibly help me metagame.

Edited by Usurper, 08 March 2012 - 05:49 PM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#323 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

When I turn around Safana is nowhere to be seen. So we make innocent-sounding smalltalk until she decides to show up again.

Posted Image

Posted Image 'Twas truth you have heard. Northeim Isles rise from the cold sea, as castles here in the South, pink and gray and speckled with shining crystals.

Posted Image

Posted Image And the sea breaks against the cliffs... a magnificent sight indeed.

Posted Image

Posted Image The cliffs are as unyielding as the warriors of my land. They sail the sea in longboats, their prows and sails painted red, the color of blood and honor.

Posted Image

Posted Image And the dark blue waters of the deepest fjords - color the eyes of the daughters of Norheim?

Posted Image

Posted Image Perchance you have heard songs of the Northerners?

Posted Image

Posted Image No, it was only a guess.

Posted Image

Safana gets back with a really great haul. The potions she stumbled onto are pretty sweet.

Posted Image

Basically fireball in a bottle. The scrolls she brings back are spells I already know, but they will be good in an emergency. I put them in my scroll case. I give her a wink and a nod, and we make our way to the exit. But on the way out, Safana pushes her luck a little too much.

Posted Image

"RUN!" she shouts, and we all take off. I wonder what Pelltar will think of us now? No time to check, we just keep running. We don't stop until we hit one of the buildings along the river, and duck in.

Posted Image

Imoen tells Safana that its her turn, and she goes exploring.

Posted Image

At the same time, we see a guard patrolling behind us. Safana talks to him.

Posted Image

In her haste to open the safe behind the painting, Imoen doesn't check for traps. An arrow flies in towards her!

Posted Image

It hits her and she winces, but she's otherwise alright. She goes and carefully checks for traps by the next crate.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, it is empty. There's nothing else to do in this empty warehouse style building, so we go back outside. I see a commoner and try to strike up a conversation with him.

Posted Image

We go into the next building, which is much like the first. Safana asks Imoen if she can come along this time, just for fun. Imoen agrees, and it's a good thing she does too.

Posted Image

While we are all waiting around for them to get back, Branwen's face lights up and she has an epiphany!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

She says she finally understands something about Tempus that she never quite realized before. She says she knows what she needs to do to serve him better. She says he will grant her... more power. I can deal with that.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Oh my god look at all those spells, we're going to have to go over them next time.

I look at Branwen steadily all the while, as she explains all the details of her new revelations to me. My gaze never wavers, even after she finishes telling me all about her greater insights. She finishes talking, and then just looks back at me. I don't want to look away. Finally, she just bursts out with

Posted Image

She does strange things to my body, this woman. I'm in shock.

Posted Image Me... to kiss you? Just now? Just like that?

Posted Image Syvishtara, you're hopeless! Yes, just like that.

Posted Image Alright...

Posted Image ...

Posted Image I... I expected to find my zest matched. But you have surpassed all my hopes and anticipations... Syvishtara, humor me again.

Posted Image It will be a pleasure.

Posted Image ...

Posted Image Shall... shall we... again?

Posted Image *nod*

Posted Image ...

Posted Image ...

Posted Image That was... quite a kiss. Can I hope for more?

Posted Image *smirk* This eve, Syvishtara. And no excuses.

Gameplay note: Wow, look at that! That was, was... tasteful! Kudos to whoever wrote this romance for not getting icky with it. Also, bow-chicka-wow-wow. Syvishtara's going to score some hot hot woman lovin!

Safana and Imoen get back then, and since the third open box is within sight of the guard, we will have to come back later. We mark it on our map.

Posted Image This city is a beautiful place, so full of the gullible and stupid.

I hardly hear her. We move on to the third and final warehouse. Imoen and Safana make short work of it, and come out looking like two cats in the cream.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay note: Wow, that last one was 250 gold. Sweet!

With nothing else left to steal, the girls see a tavern nearby and suggest we go get a room for the night. I flush at the suggestion, and Safana cocks an eyebrow. Then Imoen glances at Branwen, and tries to hide a grin. She knows, and now I know she knows, and she probably knows I know she knows. My entire body flushes hot.

Posted Image

When we get into the tavern, we all get a table except for Imoen, who starts to immediately work the crowd as she normally does. The very first man she talks to lays out a huge wall of a story.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What? Bandits, here? It seems like you can't really get away from them no matter where you go.

Posted Image

#324 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

After she gets done talking to the commoners, Imoen approaches the proprietor.

Posted Image

Posted Image I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

Posted Image We are very busy this time of year, but order a few drinks and I'm sure we can get you what you want.

Posted Image Sure, drinks sound like a good idea.

Gameplay note: Looks like its the old drink-and-search-for-rumors schtick here in Restenford. The interface is there, but it is sorely underutilized in most of standard Baldur's Gate. I have a feeling the modder wants us to use it though, so we need to get busy drinking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We drink until we can hear no more rumors at all. It's always hard to separate fact from fiction, but apparently we have orcs and wolves outside of town, and a bait dealer who is a magic-user and likes rats. OBVIOUSLY he's evil. The other rumors, like a huge amount of treasure under the Baron's castle and his daughter being a doppleganger plotting to kill him, I find a bit harder to believe. That one about skeletons is disturbing, though. Maybe that one is true. Better to think about this in the morning, though, because we are all stonking drunk.

Posted Image

But before I can gather erryone together to gotabed, I see a suspiciouslookingperson in the hole... walll... thing. The corner. Yes, the corner. I interrogitate him.

Posted Image

Posted Image You are a bard, aren't you?

Posted Image (bows) Yes Lady, I am. Am I supposed to assume that because I am a bard, I HAVE to take requests?

Posted Image I'm not going to tip a bard that doesn't play requests.

Posted Image Oh drat, there goes the money for that new mule.

Posted Image Slap! (she slaps Fabio)

Posted Image Ouch! What was that for?!

Posted Image That is for being a pig! Your so-called "armor rash" spread to me! I had to see a priest to get it cleared up.

Posted Image

Posted Image (looks up from instrument) I said, are you still h... Oh, my lady! Forgive me, fair maid. I had no idea such a stunning beauty was in my presence.

Posted Image (blushing deeply) Awe, you are so sweet.

Posted Image So, what can I help you with?

Posted Image Information.

Posted Image Ah, that I am quite helpful with. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Fabio, (bows deeply) world renowned bard. Traveler to multiple universes, and past member of the famous Raelis Shai troupe. Of course you have heard of me?

Posted Image Nope, never heard of you.

Posted Image Either you mock me poorly or you have spent your life in Candlekeep or some other hole.

Posted Image (giggles) You don't know how right you are.

Posted Image My poor child, you need to get out more. And I think you really need a great bard to assist you. Plus, I really need to find some better women than in this fishing town (*he winks at you*).

Posted Image Sure, we can use a good bard to help us.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: And then Fabio joins us. He's a lady's man. He claims to have traveled to many different universes. He is wielding a long sword and carrying a lute. His biography says he can't hardly talk to anyone without stopping to stare at passing women. He's also a plain old normal bard. Totally unacceptable. We're going to have to change this guy's kit.

What kind of bard should he be?

A. He's a liar, through and through. He's never even been off the island of Lendore. He's a beguiler and no mistake.
B. He tells the truth, man. He's been a wanderer all his life. The man's a gypsy, and you just don't trust him cuz you're racist against gypsies!
C. Yeah, he's a wanderer, but nothing so romantic as a gypsy. Dude's just a straight-up drifter, no joke. Surprised he bathed this morning.
D. No, no way man. The guy doesn't carry that longsword around for decoration. Dude will slice you and dice you in seconds. He's a dervish man, a dervish! Learned it from another bard in his old troupe on another plane of existence back in the day.
E. Are you all crazy? Have you heard the man sing? That is powerful stuff. I'd even say magic. He's a spellsinger. Gotta be.
F. You may not like him, and there are a lot of nasty rumors about this guy, but he is really what he says he is. An experienced, respected, and well-traveled minstrel of the highest order. What he's doing here on this godforsaken island I really have no idea.
G. Can't you people stop exaggerating the truth for two goddamn seconds? He's nothing but a normal bard and that's it.

Edited by Usurper, 27 February 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#325 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I might be wrong about him but I'll vote for: A - Beguiler.

#326 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

A. Beguller sounds like the most fitting kit for him. I'm reserving Minstrel for Keto later in SoA.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#327 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ok, here are the final votes:

What kind of bard should Fabio be?

A. Beguiler ..................
B. Gypsy ...
C. Drifter
D. Dervish ........
E. Spellsinger .
F. Minstrel
G. Normal bard

I'll start the next update now as a beguiler. Also in the main thread they are insisting that I change Fabio's portrait to this, so I guess I will:

Posted Image

Edited by Usurper, 29 February 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#328 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image

26 Eleint, 1369

We quickly decide that Fabio is now part of the group, and then we all crash from the party. Well, most of us crash. Branwen calls me over to where she is sitting near the fire.

Posted Image

Posted Image It sounds more than promising, Branwen. Will you stay with me this night?

Posted Image Yes... I confess, I wish to be with you, as well. Come to me, Syvishtara. Let us partake of each other in full.

And we do.

Posted Image

We awake late, almost in the afternoon. When we do, Branwen says,

Posted Image

Posted Image And what will my Branwen say?

Posted Image Last night... 'twas a pleasure, to say the least. You possess what it takes to venture into the lands of passion and heat, and I do not find your desire lacking.

Posted Image It was a pleasure to me, as well.

Posted Image Onward, then. To another battle, another victory... and another night.

I love Restenford!

When we all wake up we finally get a sober glimpse of this bard we picked up.

Posted Image

The man is pretty well kitted out, with an Excellent Longsword, a Nymph Cloak, a Girdle of Piercing, and a custom lute.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: That blinding beauty once per day is going to be huge!

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This girdle isn't too bad either. I think I'm going to have to appropriate it from him before we're done here in Restenford.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This guy is definitely going to be useful!

I wonder if Safana is going to start drooling all over this guy, but Safana is nowhere to be seen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We decide to have a late breakfast, and then Safana shows up. She casually asks Imoen if she knows what these two scrolls do that she happened to have on her. Imoen takes a look at them with Finch's glasses and finds them to be quite useful indeed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

She also, just as casually as before, asks Imoen if she can identify this leather armor she happened to come across. It's quite impressive, even for Imoen.

Posted Image

Safana slips it on.

Posted Image

Posted Image *She steps into your embrace and hugs you fiercely.* Your company gladdens and eases my heart. Tempus willing, it shall always be so.

Safana also seems to have some spoiled antidotes on her. She seems disapointed at that. We go outside and tell Fabio to suit up from the mule. He rummages around in the packs and ends up taking a Chainmail +1 and the bard-only ring that we got from Safana's treasure hunt. He still doesn't seem to know what it does, though.

After that, we continue our exploration of the town. The next building over is the town shop.

Posted Image

They have some pretty good stuff on sale, including two spells that I don't know - Non-Detection and Improved Invisibility. The prices are very reasonable as well. I buy Improved Invisibility for 1200 gold, and keep the other spell in mind for later. There are also some wands and other magical items, but once again they are mostly out of our price range.

Posted Image

It is now the only level 4 spell I know. It will surely be useful when I can cast it!

You know, strangely enough, there is a basement floor to this shop, and in it a blacksmith. Imoen finds it out when she ... goes down to explore.

Posted Image

It is a treasure trove down there! +1 armors of all types, Ankheg Platemail, and even Elven Chain. There are Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Dexterity, Power Attacks, Crushing... there are Boots of Avoidance, Spider Boots, and Boots of Grounding. There is even a Dwarven Large Shield +2! Oh, if only I had money! We need to do some serious money-earning before we leave. We can't just leave all this equipment here, unused.

But that's not all. There is another guy down here, name of Perk.

Posted Image

He's a fletcher, and he has arrows of all types, including the fabled Arrows of Detonation!

Posted Image

He also sells the Quiver of Plenty +1, Bag of Plenty +1, and even a Case of Plenty +1. They give unlimited magical arrows, bullets, and crossbow bolts, forever. It is almost the stuff of legend. We will have to pick them up if we can by any means at all. There are also dozens of magical bows, crossbows, and slings. How can we get ahold of these? I must find a way. Even if it means Safana and Imoen going back tonight.

With thoughts of perfect ranged combat dancing in our heads, we stumble out of the shop and down the road to the east. It is there that we find a barracks.

Posted Image

Inside is nothing special, just what you'd expect, like the barracks in Candlekeep.

Posted Image

I am reminded that Restenford seems to have quite a lot of guards, though. We will have to be careful that we don't get on the bad side of the law here. The road past the barracks seems to go on to another part of town, but that seems too confusing for now. We should just stay in this part of town until we explore everything and really know what's what. With that in mind, we turn back around and head towards some houses we saw to the west.

When we get to the first house, Imoen and Safana, our offical greeting party, go inside. They find a young couple in a one-room affair. A little difficult to do anything with, so they just move on.

Posted Image

At the northen end of the house cluster there is another store, Pheldman's Store. Curious, we wander inside. What kind of town needs more than one store?

Posted Image

Oh. Except for the Large Shield +1, he has normal, mundane weapons and armor. I guess this is where the guards shop? There is another barracks right behind Pheldman's shop, but next to that is The Magic Shop. Three shops, in one town? Isn't that a little excessive? What kinda uppity fisherfolk live in Restenford, anyway?

When we enter the shop, we are greeted by an intimidating sparkle of magic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image You have items from other worlds? How is that possible?

Posted Image Simple, really, Restenford is a major trade route on this isle. We get shipments in from all over the realm. Some of my distributors also travel to Sigil and other worlds to pick up unusual items for collectors. When I am able to, I order some of the more exotic items. Of course, they have to teleport into the store since it is so hard to travel outside of the town. What with the bandits and all. I find that the nobles on this isle have way too much money to let sit idle. So I do what I can to help them find uses for their gold. (*he winks*)

Posted Image Well then, let's see some of these items.

Posted Image But of course.

He has a lot of robes, magical items, and spells, mostly from levels 2 to 5. I don't have hardly any of them, and looking at them makes me long for their power. Too long have I been casting Magic Missile and Summon Wild Horde. I need stronger magic, things that I can fling at my enemies to see them go up in smoke. But alas, I have no money. Money is the problem here.

Reluctantly, we leave the shop. But I guess Safana could see how sad I am, because as we go out she slips a scroll into my hands.

Posted Image

Not a bad haul, not bad at all!

There isn't much left to this section of town, so we go across the river to the southwest and find another tavern, Falco's Tavern. We go in and see what there is to see. Falco is a typical dwarf, but it brings a smile to my face to hear him growl on about dwarven ale before asking me my name.

Posted Image

Posted Image Not at all. I am Syvishtara.

Posted Image Well met, Syvishtara, and a pearl to you. Feel free to peruse my goods and ask questions, naturally.

Posted Image Yes, show me what services you have.

Posted Image As you wish.

He doesn't have much for sale, which is something of a relief. If this lowly dwarven tavern owner also had magical items coming out of his cheeks I don't think I could deal with the world. He does seem to have gems for sale though. That's pretty out of character for a dwarf. Maybe he's wrong in the head, somehow.

Safana says she heard a strange story from one of the commoners.

Posted Image

Undead here? Maybe that's their problem. It seems like Restenford is suffering from way too many problems. Orcs, bandits, wolves, undead, giant rats... perhaps even dopplegangers and political backstabbing. Maybe all the rumors are true and I can earn enough money to buy all that stuff I want need!

#329 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image What was it like being a statue, Branwen?

Posted Image I will recount the memories of the days I've spent in my sorcerous imprisonment, if you wish, but will you want to listen?

Posted Image Yes, Branwen. I am ready.

Posted Image *Branwen takes a slow, shuddering breath and starts to recite, her eyes darkening by the moment.*

Posted Image Sky, forest, tents. People are going about their business as usual. This day is one of many, and it is still mine to watch. I watch mesmerized. Stone eyes cannot cry, why can they see?

Posted Image Were you able to see from within your prison of stone? That's monstrous!

Posted Image Sometimes, when a soul dies, the rain cries and mixes the cold sky with cold dirt and blackened embers that are left after the trees are gone. But it happens also that when a soul dies, sun shines on the red, purple and golden leaves, and the universe is at peace with itself. Some weep when her soul dies, some laugh. I can only be silent. What day will it be when my soul ceases to exist? We have had good weather lately, so most probably it will be warm when I shall hear the last faint beat of my heart. My lips are sealed, my lips are white, so I will neither laugh, nor cry. My heart ever so slowly, ever so painfully turns to stone. The last part of me to become marble. The very last.

Posted Image And that gnome stood by your side and did nothing...

Posted Image He calls me a Princess of the North. Call me a Queen, a Goddess, a Dragon. Call me anything you want, buffoon. You are running out of time to find a buyer. Very soon, your pathetic scroll will be useless for me. The transformation is almost complete. Will it rain?

Posted Image I am so sorry... I wish I could have rescued you earlier.

Posted Image *Branwen comes out of her trance and smiles at you.*

Posted Image These misdeeds are past and gone, Syvishtara. I was twisted, yet not broken; cast out, yet not fully abandoned. I pray to Tempus, and my battle cry seems to shatter the skies. I look at you, and my heart is filled with joy.

Posted Image Flesh to stone. Stone to flesh. Every trickster and magician is capable of the former, but it takes the master to achieve the latter, and a man to succeed in earnest. A man who stands in front of me.

She remembers the man I was!

Posted Image My lady Branwen, I am flattered beyond words.

Posted Image 'Tis I who should be flattered by your care and attention.

Posted Image But the shadows grow longer as we speak. Let us continue on our way, Syvishtara.

The only thing left to do here is to check out the houses to the southwest. The last one on the path houses a man named Zahrdahl.

Posted Image

Posted Image No, I wasn't planning on it. Who are you?

Posted Image Name's Zahrdahl. You must be that group of adventurers that Pelltar hired.

Posted Image Yes. We haven't been here all that long. How did you know about us already?

Posted Image Oh, well, uh, local gossip and such. What can I help you with?

Posted Image There are rumors going around that you are the cause of the local rat problem.

Posted Image Don't blame me! The damn things keep eating all of my bait. I want them gone.

Posted Image Use a trap or two.

Posted Image Look, I sell bait; worms, parts of dead animals, good stuff like that. I don't sell glassware or pottery. The rats are coming up the road at night from the south.

Posted Image I have set traps. I even use the ones I catch as bait. I have seen some huge ones that the others follow.

Posted Image If you got nothing better to do, go down to the old barracks and find out where they come from.

Posted Image Old barracks? Where is that?

Posted Image Follow this road south. It ends at a guard house that burnt down years ago. There shouldn't be anything down there so I don't know why all the rats come from there.

Posted Image Ok, we will look into it.

Well, I guess that the best time to look into rat problems is right away. We head south.

Posted Image

The first thing we pass is an abandoned house.

Posted Image

Not a good sign when a town has a section of abandoned houses. Then it starts to rain. When we approach the barracks, we can see easily why it is no longer in use.

Posted Image

I don't see any rats outside the barracks, so we go in. Immediately we have enemy rats incoming! I haven't been this scared since that one time in Candlekeep where I killed a bunch of rats. And since that never happened I've never been this scared before in my life.

Posted Image

Kivan rescues me from rat-related terror, though, by charming it.

Posted Image

It stays charmed until someone's missile hits it, then it is back to murder-death-kill all rats.

Posted Image

Fabio is the one to get the killing blow on the evil vermin. My hero!

Posted Image

We can't find anything in the barrels and baskets around the room, but we do find a trap door!

Posted Image

We drop down it, expecting to find more rats, but instead we find skeletons?!

Posted Image

Branwen's first instinct is to cast Sunscorch. My first instinct is to whack one on its pasty white skull. We both do the right thing, and they both go down instantly.

Posted Image

That leaves all the ranged attackers still ready and willing to kill something when the ghoul hops up. It doesn't last long.

Posted Image

Safana gets all excited about the middle drawer in the table to our right, but when she disables a trap there she doesn't find anything. She is disappointed, until she moves the secret door hidden in the wall and finds a passage with a chest at the end!

Posted Image

It is trapped, locked, and hidden behind a secret door, and then inside there is all of.... 5 gold. Huh.

Posted Image

Something feels very wrong about this whole place, but I just can't put my finger on it. Safana announces a new trap found.

Posted Image

There is nothing in that chest. I guess we are in some sort of cave, and I guess we need to find the rest of the rats, so we explore what we can. Safana finds a disturbing table and some of her kind of weapons on it.

Posted Image

This was obviously some kind of thieves' hideout, but why is it now overrun with the undead? And why was that table so unnaturally large?

Posted Image

Imoen takes care of the ghoul, and Branwen smashes in the skull of the skeleton that follows it. We move on, every moment more grim and silent than the one before. There are two more ghouls. Imoen and Kivan get the killing blows on them.

Then we solve one small mystery.

Posted Image

Then we find something creepy.

Posted Image

#330 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

There is nothing in the room of strange furniture. We do, however, find where the rats are coming from.

Posted Image

The little buggers are everywhere. I decide to counter with my own little buggers.

Posted Image

The rodent battle is fierce and ruthless.

Posted Image

But soon my bunnies return to the Elemental Plane of Bunny and we must continue the fight on our own.

Posted Image

When we are done slaying the last rat, Branwen doesn't look so good. She seems sick. Maybe she picked up something from the rats.

Posted Image

She says she'll be fine, but then her condition quickly deteriorates. It seems a lot more like a poison than a disesae. But our antidotes do nothing to help.

Posted Image

I try to cast my healing spell on her.

Posted Image

It makes her feel better, but doesn't fix the problem. She tries to get off a few spells, but can't seem to manage it. She is too wracked by pain. She seems to be wasting away before our very eyes, and I start to panic a little. I say we need to get out of here, and find a healer. So we head for the exit. But just as we reach it, Branwen drinks an Elixir of Health and feels better. What a relief.

Posted Image

Antidoes do nothing but elixirs work fine. Good to know. But since we don't have any more of those we should make sure to stand far away from any remaining rats. We turn around to go back in and find that one of the evil death rats has followed us. Fabio takes it out, and the next one too.

Posted Image

Branwen realizes that we still need a tank to keep the evil death rats at bay, and says she knows just the thing. She casts a very long spell, one I have not heard before, and a rift opens in the ground. Then a skeleton raises from it!

Posted Image

My baby has called the undead to aid us! I am not sure if I should be disgusted or proud. I try to be proud. The skeleton is pretty good, after all.

Posted Image

Gameplay note: This is one of Branwen's new level 3 spells, Animate Dead. It is a very useful spell for clerics, and it keeps getting better with levels. Back when I was doing my solo cleric run of the Big Picture mod, a precursor to this Big World Project, Animate Dead was the game-changing spell that made the whole experience possible. I would cast a full complement of undead each map and go around bludgeoning everything to death. And if a 2nd edition cleric ever finds himself alone in the wilderness he should do the same.

Posted Image

With the skeleton's help, we finally take out all the rats. We find a lot of bones and also some treasure. Somehow I knew it would be here. Feels like a premonition.

Posted Image

There are some potions and some magical darts, and also a scroll of Ghost Armor, a spell I already have. Since there is no one else to use it, I put it in my scroll case for later. One unusual aspect of the treasure is that we find 12 Ruby Rings.

Posted Image

There's nothing special about them except that we found 12 of them together. Was this a ruby ring thief society or something? Who knows. Safana says that there is a passage we have not yet explored, so we backtrack to see it. And although it twists and turns there is no reveal. We are done here. This completely unique cave system has been explored.

Posted Image

We climb back up the trapdoor, and when we do, Branwen turns to me.

Posted Image

Posted Image I love you, Syvishtara. 'Tis no secret, isn't it?

My heart swells with emotion. No, 'tis not.

We return to Zahrdahl and tell him of what we did.

Posted Image

Posted Image We killed every rat we could find.

Posted Image About time someone around here did something useful.

Gameplay note: We get 300 xp for that. That's only 50 xp each. At this rate I'll never reach level 5!

When we come out, we realize that it is 3am and almost everyone in the town is sure to be asleep. Safana and Imoen whisper to each other, but we all know what they're planning. Unfortunately, they are foiled by insomniac shopkeepers. Everybody is still awake. Crap! With no other option, we go to sleep and rest the night away.

Posted Image

Posted Image Mystra's star? Though it's my preference to think about you while watching it: it is so bright, so beautiful...

Posted Image Mystra's star? Its blue soft light is pleasant to behold. Mayhap I would have picked it, if I indeed had to choose.

Posted Image When I was looking at the sky yesterday, I suddenly realized that every star reminded me of you. Then I thought that everything which is fair and dear to my heart is somehow connected to you. You are in my frosted breath in the early morning, and in the tune I whistle when I wake. You are my sun and stars... I'm afraid you are becoming my world.

Posted Image Now you have me wondering: what star I should name for you? I guess that I will stay up all night, poring over that task. I wonder, why the poor and rich alike in these parts stock their bookshelves with endless copies of the "History of the North"? I'd much rather fancy to see a "Star Lore" book somewhere...

Posted Image By Tempus, I have created a monster! If you wish to begin your very own star lore book right now, I can help you, I suppose. Alternatively, you may join me in my bedroll. I would like to bring to your attention that you have not embraced me for far too long, my lazy lover.

The next day we decide to explore another section of town, but which way to go? It turns out that this place is a lot bigger than I thought, and there are six different exits from this part of town to another.

Gameplay note: I've marked them in red on the map.

Posted Image

I want to see what the castle looks like, so we decide to go where it is, to the northeast.

Posted Image

It looks... strangely familiar. Safana and Imoen get to work, darting here and there. Imoen gets lucky quick.

Posted Image

The shield is a Large Shield +1, and the sword is Varscona!

Posted Image

Since Fabio is the only one who can use longswords, he takes up Varscona. I think I have to switch him to melee now. Also, in the bookshelf, Safana finds a great spell scroll, Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental! Sweet!

Posted Image

I may just have to try this via Nahal's Reckless Dweomer before I can cast it normally. That is going to be one strong elemental.

Branwen seems to not be feeling well.

Posted Image

Posted Image *Branwen clutches her head, frowning.* 'Twas unwise to drink so much last eve. These elderberry wines of the mainland are much more unkind to the gullet than the soft, balmy meads of my homeland.

We check the rest of the grounds and find a few discarded coins lying here and there. Nothing big though. There's something familiar about this place, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Posted Image

Pelltar's tower is here behind the manor house. I want to see what kind of digs this mage has, so I go there to find out.

Posted Image

Looks like a pretty nice set up he's got here. Better than Thalantyr's High Hedge, definitely.

Posted Image

Posted Image We have found some weird problems, as well as the normal run of the mill bandits and others attacking your merchants.

Posted Image Well then, it sounds like you have been very busy. Please tell me all that has happened since we last met.

Posted Image We talked to the townspeople and heard all sorts of gossip and stories about strange occurrences around here. So we decided to start investigating those stories.

Posted Image Good decision, it is amazing what the common folk know about the area. Sometimes I think they know more than the rest of us so called "educated" people.

Posted Image So, what did you find?

Posted Image We found out that there was a serious rat problem down near the old guard house. So we went to investigate and discovered an old cave system underneath.

Posted Image Caves? Caves... hmm, yes yes. About a hundred years ago or even more, they had built some tunnels under the original barracks throughout the town. They were used for storing weapons and armor. Once we started using magical storage, those tunnel were supposed to be filled in. The ones near the river would flood and so they were too dangerous to keep maintained. I wonder how many of them still exist? Anyway, going back to your adventures. You were saying?

Posted Image Someone else had found that cave and was using it as a hideout. We found the body of a thief. There was also some skeletons and other undead that we must have disturbed. We also found a huge rat nest. We killed every one that we came across but it is possible that more are out there.

Posted Image Yes, well that is something the guards can handle I think. It may be good to see Gelpas leading the "rat patrol", eh? Anyway, thank you for this weird discovery. It would be best for the guards to search for more caves and finish the job of filling them in. We wouldn't want anyone sinister using them.

Gameplay note: Another difference between this module and others is that you can periodically check in with Pelltar and tell him how you're doing. And each time you do, you have the option to say you're done, you can't find anything else, time to head home. It really gives the impression that this is an open-ended affair. Also it makes the RPGsperg inside of me scream in horror that I might miss something significant every single time I think of that option.

I see some stairs going up, so I decide to check them out. This is a tower, after all. Imoen and Safana come with me. After climbing the stairs, we find a nice, tasteful garden floor.

Posted Image

But there's nothing really interesting there, so we go up one more level. This is where all the books are. Jackpot!

Posted Image

Safana immediately gets to work on the desk. When she finally gets everything open, I can't believe what we have found.

Posted Image

Even before we identify it to make sure, I know what that is. The red color, the dragon-head shape - that's a Fireball Wand! Oh, sweet sweet flames, I am a lucky mage this day! But then, underneath the wand and the scrolls, there is a book. A big, thick, ornately bound book. I seriously cannot believe what it is. I tell Safana to be very, very careful with it. To gently hand it over to me. I snatch it away from her and look at the cover to make sure.

Posted Image

I flip open the cover to look at an index or table of contents. Of course there it is, neatly arranged. I scan my eyes down the page and read the following:
  • Identify
  • Charm Person
  • Sleep
  • Magic Missile
  • Burning Hands
  • Shield
  • Chromatic Orb
  • Friends
  • Spook
  • Blindness
  • Invisibility
  • Melf's Acid Arrow
  • Knock
  • Web
  • Stinking Cloud
  • Resist Fear
  • Deafness
  • Ray of Enfeeblement
  • Haste
  • Slow
  • Skull Trap
  • Protection from Missiles
  • Remove Magic
  • Fireball
  • Melf's Minute Meteors
  • Dispel Magic
  • Polymorph Other
  • Fire Shield (Red)
  • Fireshield (Blue)
  • Teleport Field
  • Ice Storm
  • Monster Summoning II
  • Break Enchantment
  • Improved Invisibility
  • Shadow Door
  • Hold Monster
  • Summon Shadow
  • Cloudkill
  • Conjure Lesser Air Elemental
  • Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental
  • Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental
  • Monster Summoning III
  • Cone of Cold
  • Globe of Invulnerability
  • Contingency
I am speechless. I ... I... half of these spells they never even mentioned in Candlekeep. What I need right now is a candle, a room, and 24 or 48 hours of uninterrupted study. I need to go. We need to go. I tell the girls to clean up, and do my best to resist cackling until I'm back down the stairs and out the door.

Gameplay note: Pelltar's Spellbook is a container and it contains all of those spells as scrolls. I'm going to scribe them all into my spellbook and triple my effectiveness as a mage. This is also going to save us a shit-ton of money down the road, as these are all the most popular and useful spells from 1st to 6th level. I actually did not know Pelltar's Spellbook was going to be such a huge magic dump. I thought it'd be an item like Rhialto's Spellbook, maybe. This is huge. I think this is also a good place to stop for this chapter.

I've got question for everybody though. What exactly does hit dice mean? The Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental spell is supposed to summon an 8 hit dice elemental, but the stats of the elemental put its hit points at 104. 8d6!=104. So what's the deal?

Edited by Usurper, 01 March 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#331 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hit dice depends on class and constitution, a fighter-type gets 1d10 per level + CON bonus (+3 at 18 CON iirc) so 1d13. 8d13 = 104

Edited by Beleg33, 01 March 2012 - 01:50 AM.

Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#332 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

28 Eleint, 1369

Gameplay note: Ok, this update is going to be a huge infodump and perhaps not so much action. We have my stolen spell haul and Branwen's level 3 cleric spells to go over. So brace yourselves for Spellcasting 315 - Second Edition Best Edition!

Also, this isn't related to anything, but Restenford's soundtrack puts me completely on edge, because it is the soundtrack to those dreams you have in BG2 regarding your soul:

Posted Image

Some really creepy shit happened to this soundtrack, and it makes me feel like Restenford is going to dissolve into a burning hellscape at any moment. But the Tavern of the West Wind has normal tavern music so I'm holing up there for the duration of this update. Now, let us begin.

I sit myself down in the small desk in my room and try to calm down. It's so hard to read scrolls when your hands are shaking. In order to stop them from doing that, I reach for the green-colored scrolls first. These are the least exciting. They are the protection spells, only able to be cast via scroll. There is an additional Protection from Magic scroll, and something that looks like another Protection from Acid scroll. But on closer examination, it turns out to be cursed.

Posted Image

The third protection scroll is something that would have been very useful already and is sure to become very useful again in the future - Protection from Poison.

Posted Image

I put the 2 usable scrolls into my scroll case, and then move on to the wand. The precious, precious Wand of Fire.

Posted Image

It has two abilities, a fireball effect and a scorching ray effect. The fireball does more damage to more targets, or at least that's what I was taught in Candlekeep. It has 9 charges. I will have to use it wisely.

And then, I try to take a few deep breaths and open up Pelltar's Spellbook. Identify, Charm Person, Sleep, Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Shield, Chromatic Orb, Friends, Blindness, Resist Fear, Stinking Cloud, Web, Dispel Magic, Improved Invisibility, Cloudkill, and Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental I already know. The rest I don't. The one level 1 spell in his book that I don't know is Spook.

Posted Image

It is good for getting smaller monsters to run away from you, but only one at a time. Horror, the level 2 version, is area of effect, so it is much better. But this can still be fun.

There are quite a few level 2 spells in Pelltar's Spellbook that I do not know. They are Invisibility, Melf's Acid Arrow, Knock, Web, Deafness, and Ray of Enfeeblement.

Posted Image

Imoen seems to be able to do this spell innately. I can't do it as stylishly as she can, but now I can at least cast it normally.

Posted Image

Melf's Acid Arrow is a pretty nasty spell designed specifically to interfere with spellcasting. The higher level you cast it at, the longer the acid sticks around to ruin another caster's day. It's really hard to pronounce your spells correctly when your hand or face is melting off into green gunk.

Posted Image

Knock is the thief replacement spell. It can open most locked doors and chests. A little-known fact about this spell, though, is that it can also be used against a living target, and that target takes considerable crushing damage and may be knocked unconscious. So those spell slots that you dedicate to this spell are not in vain if you don't find anything locked. Of course, I always have Imoen around so I'm probably never going to need this spell. But, you know, it is good in theory.

Posted Image

Deafness is another anti-caster spell, and it makes it quite difficult to get any spell off. You'd be surprised how used to hearing your own voice you are, and how much that throws you off when you're suddenly deaf. Pretty useful when you're going up against magic users.

Posted Image

But if you need to shut down melee fighters, you should use Ray of Enfeeblement. A slowing and a weakness comes over the target and they don't know what to do after that. It makes them easy pickings.

And that's it for spells that I can use right now. I'm going to need more life experience before I can cast any of these others... unless I get really lucky with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. And I may just have to try. Oh yes, I may. Because the level 3 spells are where the really good stuff starts, starting with Fireball, and continuing on with Haste, Slow, Skull Trap, Protection from Missiles, Remove Magic, and Melf's Minute Meteors.

Posted Image

This is the mainstay of a mage's arsenal, and the first taste of true power that the Weave brings. It is similar to the effect of the Wand of Fire, except it becomes more powerful over time. It is the first room-clearing spell that most mages get, but of course not the last. Not the last at all.

Posted Image

There is a debate on whether or not Haste is better than Fireball, though. A hasted group of allies can also clear a room pretty effectively, and perhaps a few more after that. We have seen this effect already on my boots, and those of Branwen, but the boots only increase movement speed. True Haste also increases attack speed as well. Just imagine Kivan on Haste, killing twice as many bandits as he does now. A true murder machine.

Posted Image

We have also seen how devastating Slow can be already. Most of the mad mages we have gone up against have used this. The mad mage Mutamin and the other mad mage with the jellies, whoever that was. Thankfully no one has cast both Slow on us and Haste on themselves yet, or we would be sunk. I should definitely try that on someone some day, though.

Posted Image

You'd be surprised at how much rivalry there is between magical spell schools. Take Necromancy and Evocation, for instance. There is almost no reason for both the spell Fireball and the spell Skull Trap to exist. Sure, there are some minor differences, like the fact that the skull sticks around to explode only when someone is near it, and that the area of effect of the fireball is larger. And the theoretical maximum damage of the skull trap is greater than that of the fireball. But in almost all situations, the two are the same spell. It's just that skull traps are sneakier and less expected, just like necromancers. Oh, and skull traps do magic damage while fireballs do fire damage. Big deal there, am I right? Ok maybe that is a significant difference.

Posted Image

This is an important spell to have, especially when going up against bandits. Some people forget that it also protects against Acid and Flame arrows, and Melf's Minute Meteors. Since even kobolds like to cast Acid Arrow, we should probably use this a lot. It only lasts 2 turns though, so about 2 minutes. Enough to last 1 good fight.

Posted Image

The combat version of Dispel Magic. It is immensely useful to dispel an enemy's protections or enhancements, like Haste, without affecting your own Haste. Of course sometimes you want to remove things from your own allies and not your enemies, like if everyone is Slowed. You'd want to remove your own Slows while not removing the enemy's. However, no spell exists to do that exactly. But anyways, this is great in close magical combat when one side has Stoneskin and the other side doesn't.

Posted Image

The two things to note about Melf's Minute Meteors are that they stick around, and that they do both piercing and fire damage. There is a third thing, which is that a mage may throw up to 5 per round. And then a fourth thing, which is that they almost always hit. Put all those things together and you have managed to turn yourself into a magical flame-spouting Kivan for as long as you have meteors to throw. And of course you do have them to throw because you cast them before combat and they have been in your pocket for hours now, glowing and ready to strike. SO convenient.

And that's it for the level 3 spells in Pelltar's spellbook. Next I move on to the eight level 4 spells, seven of which I don't know, which are Polymorph Other, Fire Shield (Red), Fireshield (Blue), Teleport Field, Ice Storm, Monster Summoning II, and Break Enchantment.

Posted Image

Polymorph Other is a strange spell. It turns your enemies into squirrels, but the more powerful enemies are more difficult to turn. I can also turn myself into a squirrel with one of Rhialto's spells, Rodent Form. However, when I use that on myself I retain my spellcasting abilities, while in this Polymorph Other the enemy doesn't. I think I will have to use this some day to turn both my enemy and myself into squirrels. Then we will duke it out, one-on-one, chittering style. It will be a fitting end to some uppity spell-slinger, and a true testament to the superiority of wild magic.

Posted Image

Fire Shield (Red) is one of the basic and necessary mage spells. People throw fire at you, you are protected. People try to hit you, they get burned. And of course it is also good to cast with the other one...

Posted Image

We have seen this spell many times before. Whoever wields the Flame of the North has this spell surrounding them in combat. But now, now I will be able to cast it too! When I get enough experience, that is. Or when I get lucky enough.

Posted Image

I saw this used in a demonstration once, back at Candlekeep. It was one mage versus whoever wanted to try to tag him with a simple paintbrush. But anybody who entered the teleport field kept getting so confused they could hardly figure out where they would get teleported to, then to turn around and just try to re-find the mage, only to get teleported randomly again. When a alot of people started going after the mage, he just started walking around. Total confusion, for everyone in the demonstration and for the crowd too, when the mage started walking through us. Excellent for a solo mage in a bit of melee trouble.

Posted Image

This is a classic mage spell. A hard pounding hailstorm that is difficult to leave. It is a great way to open a fight against a lot of bad guys. If they get through the storm, you can blast them with something else and they're probably going down for good.

Posted Image

Personally I find this spell distasteful, specifically because I hate gnolls. I mean, remember their stronghold? That place went on and on and on... and they smell. But if you're into gnolls fighting for you, this is the spell to cast. I guess.

Posted Image

This is the anti-curse spell. If we accidentally equip any cursed equipment, we can get it off of us with this spell. After memorizing it and resting, of course, because who would want to have this memorized all the time?

And that's it for the level 4 spells. Now, cautiously, I move on to the level 5 spells. There are 7 of them that I do not know: Shadow Door, Hold Monster, Summon Shadow, Conjure Lesser Air Elemental, Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental, Monster Summoning III, and Cone of Cold.

Posted Image

The big question is, of course, what's so cool about Shadow Door when you already have Invisibility and Improved Invisibility at lower spell tiers? The answer is trapping other enemies in an extradimensional space. I realize that I have never heard of anyone at Candlekeep actually talking about using this spell successfully in combat. But if I am ever surrounded with nowhere to hide, and I have no other options, I can always use this to clear a path for my invisible ass to run away. In theory. I wonder if it actually works.

Gameplay note: I have just realized that I have never, ever once used this spell in combat in any of my BG2 playthroughs. I need to fix that.

Posted Image

Clerics get Hold Person, which is a level 2 spell. Mages, though, get the level 5 version - Hold Monster. It holds everything that Hold Person does but also non-humanoid creatures are affected. I read back in Candlekeep days that this is one of the go-to spells to survive an encounter against Beholders. If it works on them, they're completely negated long enough for you to do something about it.

Posted Image

Ok, this is fucking terrifying. No one ever talked about this spell in Candlekeep. What the holy hell, necromancers? Chaotic evil, freezing, draining shadows that are immune to normal weapons, backstab, confusion, charm, hold, poison, sleep, stun, and death?! And half resistance to physical damage?! Or a wraith, which converts your levels into its hit points with every successful attack on top of all that other stuff? Blood and fire. I briefly consider not scribing this into my spellbook. However, the image of some ungodly necromancer casting this at me and me not being able to answer with my own shadowy horrors makes up my mind. With reservation, I do copy it down, but I put it in the back of my spellbook under Last Resorts.

I am almost ready to move on to the next spell when I look at the newly-copied spell actually change itself on the page, its letters and words flowing into soup and then rearranging themselves. It was not a Summon Shadow spell at all. Instead, it actually turns out to be Animate Dead, exactly the same spell as Branwen's, except for me it is 5th level, not 3rd.

Gameplay note: I had a Summon Shadow scroll, clicked Write Magic, and Animate Dead showed up in my spellbook. Some kinda glitch.

The next two spells are best looked at comparatively with Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental, which I already know.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So, I now have my choice in summons, between a Lesser Earth Elemental, a Lesser Air Elemental, and a Lesser Fire Elemental. I actually attended several elemental lectures in Candlekeep. They were fascinating to me, and still are. These summons all generally stick around long enough to finish one fight, then return to their home plane. The Earth Elemental is the strong and tough one, while the other two are more dextrous and comparatively weaker. The Earth elemental pounds its enemies into submission, while the Fire elemental slashes them. But you don't cast an Air elemental to kill enemies, you cast it to absorb ranged attacks. They barely affect it at all. You summon the Fire elemental when you are in combat with a fire-heavy mage opponent and need relatively immune muscle to take him out. And you summon the Earth elemental when you want a strong right arm to resist everything thrown at it and make liquids out of your enemies' internal organs. I can see it now - an Air elemental swirling its way into the bandit camp, arrows flying through it and spinning off in all directions, panicked cries being cut off as it stabs people through the throat with its pointy fists. It is going to be SO GREAT!

Posted Image

Ugh. Ogres. This spell only gets good when you get some Ogre Magi in the mix. They're the only monsters I can tolerate, really.

Posted Image

And the last level 5 spell in Pelltar's Spellbook. Hey, you know, it takes all kinds to make a wizarding community. Some are into Necromancy, and some are into Illusions. Some are into Evocations, but like cold ones. What can you do? I never really understood them myself, but they do make a few effective spells. I just prefer to burn them, burn them all, feel the flesh sizzle from the bone and the smoke ascend forever and ever and .... yes. Well. Cone of Cold. Wrote that down. Moving on.

There are only two level 6 spells left in the spellbook, but they are quite important. I just get to them.

Posted Image

Globe of Invulnerability is one of those advanced spell protections that are part of the Great Chain of Counters that make up magic in Faerun. It makes you almost invulnerable in situations of mid-level magic duels. But most important to remember is that it is resistant to the anti-spell-protection-spells of Spell Thrust, Pierce Magic, and Secret Word. I was drilled and drilled on this as part of the class Advanced Arcane Offense and Defense. Well, I say part, but I mean most of it. For two terms. I can still recite the mantra that the monks made me memorize, damn them. It goes like this: Sally Peppers Says Kisses Really Pucker Sausages. What it means, though, is Spell Thrust, Pierce Magic, Secret Word, Khelben's Warding Whip, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Pierce Shield, and Spellstrike. I had to memorize that. That is the list of spell protection dispellers from least to most powerful. Spell Thrust gets rid of Minor Spell Deflection, Minor Spell Turning, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, and Spell Immunity. Pierce Magic does all of that and also takes out Spell Deflection. Secret Word does all that and also destroys Spell Turning. Khelben's Warding Whip snaps off all of those and also Globe of Invulnerability. Ruby Ray of Reversal does all spell protections previously mentioned and also Spell Trap, but only one per cast. Pierce Shield and Spellstrike take them all out, except for... what was it? Antimagic field? Prismatic sphere? Gah, I got a C on that final. The point is that going after a well-protected mage is like peeling an onion, except that sometimes you realize that you have only succesfully peeled the illusory image of an onion projected by the real onion which is still in the cupboard, all its layers intact, demons and angels at its beck and call.

I must become that onion.

And the first step to my onionhood is Globe of Invulnerability.

Gameplay note: You see all this shit? It's all totally real, no exaggeration at all. Now do you understand why Second Edition is Best Edition? 3.5 is weaksauce, and don't get me started on 4th.

Posted Image

This is a mainstay of a well-prepared wizard. Something bad happens to you, from you seeing an enemy, you being almost dead, or any number of other things, and your previously-prepared contingency activates. It's going to be a while before I can cast this, though. Unless....

Branwen bursts into my room, interrupting my train of thought, a cloud of frustrated anger on her face.

Posted Image

Posted Image I thought you liked bloodshed.

Posted Image Nothing could have been sweeter to me than driving my hammer up an orc's gullet or skewering a stray bandit, 'tis true. But there has come a time for change.

Posted Image I confess, my own lust for blood and gore has diminished. I feel softer and gentler by day, Syvishtara. 'Tis a curse...

Posted Image Tempus is displeased with me, I can tell. I am losing my zest for battle, and I know the reason. We both do.

Posted Image Yes, you've mellowed a little. But is it that bad?

Posted Image Would you consider ripping your still beating and bloody heart from your body 'bad'? 'Tis worse than 'bad', Syvishtara.

Posted Image I was born to serve Tempus; I felt battle cry on my lips more oft than a lover's mouth. Now, however, I am plagued by self-doubt as frequently as an old tree suffers the assults of insects and worms, crawling and slithering all over its body. These words are harsh, Syvishtara, but I'm afraid you would not understand if I spoke in dainty and flowery terms.

Gameplay note: This seems serious. I have a lot of options to choose from.

Posted Image

Never let it be said that I got in between a battlewench and her bloodshed.

Posted Image Branwen, do not lose hope. We shall fight your doubts together, and we'll emerge victorious.

Posted Image If you say it, Syvishtara. I trust you more than I trust myself.

Posted Image But we have tarried here overlong. Come, Syvishtara, let us continue on our victorious path. Mayhap the night of quiet reading, prayer and your kisses will ease my doubts and banish my worries.

We go for the quiet reading and prayer first. It is a little disappointing, but quite informative. Branwen's probably just feeling unworthy of all the new spells she's been given.

Edited by Usurper, 08 March 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#333 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

We go over them together.

Posted Image

Animate Dead we are both familiar with already, since she cast it yesterday. We also know Dispel Magic, because I have it too.

Posted Image

Remove Curse is next on the list. It is the same as my 4th level spell Break Enchantment, but Branwen has access to it now whereas Rhialto only knows when the Weave will give me access to my version.

Posted Image

Call Lightning is the next spell that my beloved can now cast, and it is pretty impressive. Tempus must like this kind of flashy smiting. Maybe if I get her to cast a lot of these she'll regain her bloodlust and be the happy battlewench again. For now, the lightning will only strike once, but as he grows in power it will strike more times. Tempus will surely enjoy that.

Posted Image

There is no denying that Branwen is a cleric. She can just heal afflictions of all types now. This will be espeically useful in battle if someone like me gets hit with an anti-mage spell.

Posted Image

This would have helped us against the rats, but the disease was so virulent that Branwen couldn't even finish the spell then. Most diseases aren't so scary, though, and she can heal them in relative leisure. I'm in good hands. And while it is easy to forget, it does also cure Feeblemind, the disease of the mind.

Posted Image

But the best thing we love about Branwen is her healing touch in combat, and this is the next greater version of it. Doesn't work on elementals, though, which is unforutnate. She could make sure my elemental armies would be completely unstoppable.

Posted Image

This is the divine version of Skull Trap, but it comes with one amazing caveat. It won't harm allies. Branwen is free to throw this into melee and be absolutely certain that she isn't hurting anybody she doesn't want to hurt. Also, if you happen to be a solo cleric out in the wilderness by yourself, after you have raised an undead army to protect you, you should cast this spell into their midst while they are fighting. You won't regret it.

Posted Image

As we go up against more competent magical enemies, they will begin to blanket the area with cloud-based spells. This is where Zone of Sweet Air comes in. It is able to dispel all those deadly vapors before they get us. In theory. If she has it memorized, and if it is cast in the right place.

Posted Image

While not quite as comprehensive as Hold Monster, this spell is once again available to Branwen now, while Hold Monster is still out of my reliable casting range. It builds upon Hold Person in that it also works on normal and giant-sized animals. I would imagine that all the bears, wolves, and giant spiders that have attacked us in the past can now be frozen in their tracks with this spell. Unfortunately, it still wouldn't work on ankhegs or carrion crawlers. And I hope we don't meet a wyvern any time soon either.

Posted Image

Area of Effect evil creature smackdown. We got hit and killed with the evil version of this, Unholy Blight, several times. The problem with this type of spell is that it hits all evil creatures, even ones in your party. So if Shar-Teel or Viconia were to be caught in this rain of white light, they would probably be injured and blinded. But since our entire party is chaotic neutral, true neutral, or chaotic good, there's no reason Branwen can't lay about all over the place with this spell.

Posted Image

Sometimes I resent divine magic - it's like the gods are just cheating. How is it in any way fair to have one spell that just reveals all invisible things in the entire visible range of the caster? No caveats, no saves, no second chances. You're just visible.

Posted Image

Now this spell I can really get behind. It causes something like a wild surge to happen to another spellcaster when they try to make some magic. Generally the effects are undesirable, it says. I hope it castrates them and forces bees to fly into all their orifices.

Posted Image

This sounds like an extremely potent weapon, especially to use against undead spellcasters. We haven't seen many of those yet, although the ghoul that almost killed us in the Valley of the Tombs was one. But if we go up against, say, a lich, the moonblade would be doing double its normal damage and interfering with the target's spellcasting. Branwen totally has to do this.

Posted Image

And early enough to be well-prepared before we even need it, Branwen gets the anti-vampire spell. I've never even seen a vampire before but I already hate them. With their sparkly skin and their sensitive emotions and their insufferably creepy stares, I just want to kill them all. And with this spell we can.

Posted Image

This is the most important spell to cast before summoning demons. That's what they taught me in Candlekeep and I'm sticking to it. It also helps in combat against evil creatures or something, so I guess that's important too.

Posted Image

When I realize that Branwen can cast this spell, I kindof give her a sideways glance. I know she worships the god of battles and all, but protection from Good? Is her god preparing her to slaughter villagers or something? I don't think we'll be using this one anytime soon...

Posted Image

Another situationally-useful spell to fix us up when we got problems. If we go up against another divine caster or a lot of undead, Branwen can probably prepare one or two of these before battle. We'll see if it ever comes up.

Posted Image

This spell is like poisoning someone with bees. It can get pretty nasty, what with things crawling into your nose and ears. I don't understand how anyone would be able to cast spells in such a situation.

Posted Image

And here we have the counterpart to Holy Smite, and what has taken our party out several times. I know it is only a spell, but once again I have some doubts about Branwen. Her god really doesn't care who she fights, does he? As long as she fights. I ponder this, and realize how important battles are to this woman. So important that she would rather, and he god expects her to, fight a band of good and righteous brothers than to stay idle. I think I have discovered something important about my woman's character. It is something to ponder.

After we finish going over the spells, there the kissing, and other things. Then sleeping, and waking. In the morning Safana and Imoen casually knock on the door and come in, all nonchalance and understatement. Safana makes some small talk, and Imoen asks me if I remember the last thing I asked them to do. I wrack my brain for a while, and then say... clean up? Imoen grins and asks my why it took me so long to remember. I just blush in return. Safana laughs one of her hearty, insinuating laughs and says that she and Imoen did in fact clean up after I ran off, and they found a couple more things I might be interested in. Then she casually drops a small bundle on the table and the two girls saunter out, preening like siamese cats.

I look at the bundle.

I gasp.

Posted Image

I immediately sit down and devour this tome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But that's not all that is in the bundle.

Posted Image

This is a good complement to Mirror Image, and one of the first possibilities for Contingency. I copy it down for completeness sake.

Posted Image

A level 8 spell. This is the first time I've ever even seen a scroll for a level 8 spell. I hold it reverently in between two fingers, wondering if I can damage it just by being too weak to hold it properly. It is a spell to deal with a problem that only the most powerful mages have - enemies with extremely powerfully enchanted weapons. Only the most epic weapons in existence could penetrate this type of mantle, and only one spell is its greater - Absolute Immunity. I spend a lot of time copying this one into my spellbook, just to make sure I've got it right. And after I'm done, I sit back and admire my new, most respectable spellbook.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gameplay note: Please note that I had to use the scrollbars to show all the Level 1 spells. And those scrollbars were added via changing the game's exe, using the ToBEx.exe rather than the original. A very cool hack which effectively eliminated the limits on class kits and spellbook contents when it came out.

Man, that was a huge update, and just on spells. Next time we'll do fighting, I promise.

#334 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

29 Eleint, 1369

I've spent enough time studying in this stuffy tavern. It is time to get out into the world, to test out these spells. To really make a mark! But I guess first we must find out what to make our mark on. We took care of the rats, but that can't be all that's wrong with Restenford. We decide to stop by the manor house before we go anywhere else. Maybe we'll get lucky yet again?

Posted Image

I admit I'm thinking more like a thief now. But I can't help it! When we enter the manor, we are immediately greeted by a servant.

Posted Image

Posted Image We're guests of your master. Now if you would excuse us, we'll be on our way.

Posted Image Hmmm, I don't remember my master... well alright, I'm sorry to have bothered you.

We start to give ourselves a tour of the place, and in the next room we find a Gelpas. Gelpas, Gelpas.... sounds familiar.

Posted Image

Posted Image We are adventurers if that is what you mean. And you are?

Posted Image Gelpas. I am the captain of the guard.

Posted Image Well then, grettings Gelpas. Can you tell us of the trouble your town is in?

Posted Image No. Personally, I think it is all rumor and hog wash. THere is nothing here that my guards can't handle. As such, I will be keeping a close eye on you since you are not needed. Don't do anything to insult the baron or this town!

Posted Image I wouldn't dream of it.

Posted Image Good.

Damn. I think that might be the first time someone has ever not wanted to share their troubles with me. I'm kinda insulted and relieved at the same time. Imoen and Safana are whispering together, and I hear an unhappy timbre to their voice. They seem to be seeing too many servants and too many guards to be able to do anything productive. Oh well. With nothing else to do, we go across to the other room, Baron Grellus is here.

Posted Image

Posted Image Yes sir, we are.

Posted Image Good, I hope you are able to help us out. There seems to be a lot of trouble brewing here all at once.

Posted Image Pelltar will fill you in if he hasn't already. I must get back to work.

Posted Image The Duke wants another "contract" with us. I do believe he would be happier if all the human settlements were under his direct control instead of being independent. Oh well, nothing he can really do about it, can he? (*he chuckles*)

Posted Image Oh, by the way, thank you for taking Fabio with you. I can tell Gelpas to pass on to the guards to not kill him on sight. Seems he has a way with the ladies, unfortunately, too many of the guards' wives have been under his influence.

Posted Image Sire! You wrong me. I had no idea they were married. Well, I didn't thik they ALL were...

With that, we decide to slip upstairs for a better look around. When we get up there, we run straight into a beauty in a red dress.

Posted Image

Posted Image I am Syvishtara. I am looking for, uhm, Pelltar! I thought he might be up here.

Posted Image That old coot! Well he isn't in my room! Please leave before I call the guards.

Posted Image Oh, Fabio. I didn't see you there. Have you come here to sing for me?

Posted Image Lady Andrella, I would love to sing for you, sweet beauty of my dreams.

Posted Image Perhaps another time? If you will pardon us, my lady. We really should be going.

Posted Image What? Oh, yes. Lady Andrella, I will return to you as soon as I can. I have been tasked with a top secret mission from your father. The risks are great and I may not live through it, but I will do what I can just to see you again.

Posted Image Oh, how exciting! My hero, please return to me when you can.

We keep going, looking into the second floor further. The dining hall is pretty impressive.

Posted Image

At the other end of the second floor is the Baroness herself.

Posted Image

Posted Image Ah, the lovely baroness. The stories about your beauty do not compare to the real you.

Posted Image Sweet, but stow it will you? I haven't spent my life as some noble's dish rag. I have been out in the real world getting my hands dirty. And I know a silver tongue when I hear one.

Posted Image Now, back to my point. Why are you here. Grellus and Gelpas are both downstairs. You must have passed one of them on the way up. So what do you want?

Posted Image Well, actually I am just wandering around. I don't get to see the inside of castles or mansions unless they are abandoned or full of monsters.

Posted Image Ah yes, I remember those days.

Posted Image What? Don't look at me like that. I was a cleric in an adventuring party. I saw my share of blood and death.

Posted Image But those days are over. I grew tired of barely escaping death. Now the life of a noble bores me to death. Oh well, I guess you have to always have something to bitch about.

Posted Image True.

Posted Image Anyways Syvishtara, I know that you are part of that band of adventurers that Pelltar brought here. When everything has settled back down around here, I will give you a tour of the castle. Deal?

Posted Image Baroness, you are too kind! It would be a pleasure. I shall depart for now.

With nothing else to do, we go back downstairs and outside. Imoen and Safana seem frustrated. There were too many people - they didn't get a chance to do anything. But when we get outside, Fabio seems pleased.

Posted Image

Posted Image Did you really have to say all that?

Posted Image To Andrella? Yes. She is a sweet kid but she believes in all that romance garbage. It is easy enough to say, I am a bard. Acting comes natural to me. Sigh. I guess it is my fault. I bought her several romance books while in Sigil. She really took to them. Now her world is one big romance story.

Posted Image With you being the main hero, right? So you were just acting out a part for her benefit?

Posted Image Oh sure. What? Do you think I really like her?

Posted Image You sounded convincing to me. It was way too much. What with the "top secret" stuff and all.

Posted Image But she likes all that mystery and intrigue. And besides..., er, why am I telling you all this?

Posted Image (giggles) Make sure you send us a wedding invitation.

Posted Image Wedding? Me? Andrella? Oh, very funny.

We go back to the center of town, and decide to explore north this time.

Posted Image

But as we go along the path we realize that the town ends and the wilderness begins.

#335 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Fabio mentions that we'll have to travel for at least a few hours down this road before we come to anything interesting.

Posted Image

We decide to hold off on going north for now, and instead head west across the bridge.

Posted Image

That takes us to a nice temple area.

Posted Image

In the temple area we run across a fisherman.

Posted Image

Posted Image Fssshhh! Har, har, har, yer a landlubber if e'er I saw one, mate!

That's actually a pretty good one! There are two paths here, a southern path and a northern path. The southern path ends up at a gate out of town.

Posted Image

And next to the gate is what must be a hanging tree.

Posted Image

Outside of town, right where the path bends south, there is a signpost.

Posted Image

I have no real reason to leave town, though, so I turn back.

Gameplay note: I can't get any new destinations when I exit the map to the south. Modders!

Outside of the wall surronding the town there seems to be an open field, so I set out to explore it. What could happen, after all? Well, it turns out that gnolls can happen.

Posted Image

They catch me unprepared and I have to cast Armor before I can do anything else.

Posted Image

I'm shocked when Fabio casts Armor too.

Posted Image

But then I remember bards can cast a few low-level spells. How cute. Of course, Kivan is the one to get the first kill of the day off.

Posted Image

But then he is also the first one to get hit.

Posted Image

He moves back out of range to shoot from safety, but then the same gnoll captain injures Fabio next.

Posted Image

Imoen kills the Captain while Branwen heals Fabio. Geez, do they have to shower all their attention on him?

Posted Image

I get hit by one of the gnolls, so I cast Mirror Image to protect myself. I'm a strong, independent woman!

Posted Image

But then half a second later Fabio casts Mirror Image too.

Posted Image

What? Is he copying me? Is he watching me while I fight? At least he manages to kill the monster he's fighting.

Posted Image

Imoen takes out the gnoll elite.

Posted Image

And then I land the killing blow on the last one.

Posted Image

I can't believe Monster Summoning II conjures them. They are so weak. Branwen gives a little healing to Kivan, and we are back on patrol, a little more cautious this time.

Posted Image

Hmmm... so Restenford has gnolls that are just right outside the gates of town. I've never seen that before. That must be pretty bad, actually. The gnolls might try to seige them soon, or something equally drastic. Fabio says that if we keep going north we can hit Tri-Top in about 8 hours. When I ask him what it is, he says its some hill.

Posted Image

Before I can consider going to explore, however, Branwen distracts me.

Posted Image

Posted Image *She tilts her head, regarding your posture.* I am indeed lucky to have chosen well.

She really brightens my day. I perk up at this and beam all the way back to town. When we get back behind the town wall we take the northern path this time, and end up in front of a beautiful, if familiar-looking temple.

Posted Image

I half expect Gavin to be here tending his garden. The temple sits at the top of a really rather nice butte. In fact the whole area looks pretty scenic.

Posted Image

But the inside of the temple is much smaller than I expected.

Posted Image

Posted Image Tell me about Phaulkon, if you could.

Posted Image Phaulkon is the god of rangers and druids. His teachings are to care for the wilderness.

Posted Image He also controls the weather. So you see, in Restenford, he is worshipped by all. The farmers, fishermen, and merchants alike are affected by his presence.

Posted Image Could I see your services?

Posted Image Of course, my sister... please come with me.

He has a good selection of potions, and an Excellent War Hammer. Branwen eyes that over but we don't have the money to afford it, again. The story of my life. We say that we will be back, though, and move on to our exploration of the town. We're kindof curious to see what lies beyond the lighthouse, so we head on over there.

Posted Image

Turns out that what is beyond the lighthouse is Sir Billybob's farm. But on our way over to see Sir Billybob, we come across a young boy.

Posted Image

We take him up on his offer, and enter the cave just north of him where the stairs are hidden.

Edited by Usurper, 07 March 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#336 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

At the top, we meet his father, Almax.

Posted Image

Posted Image Not just now, thanks. I do have a few questions if you please?

Posted Image Of course. Just ask.

Posted Image Since you know the area well, what can you tell me of the land around Restenford?

Posted Image Which area in particular?

Posted Image South of Restenford.

Posted Image (He smiles) SOuth would be the sea itself. I assume you mean the land southwest near the old guard house?

Posted Image Yes, that's the area.

Posted Image Not much to say really. The guard house was burned down several years ago by a badly built fire in the fireplace. Another barracks was built closer to the west gate. The old one was never torn down. I have heard stories about rats in the area but they shouldn't bother anyone.

Posted Image Actually, we already looked into that story. We found some giant rats and some undead in a cave below the barracks.

Posted Image Amazing! I didn't know such a cave existed. You destroyed the undead too? Wonderful.

Posted Image I have a few more questions.

Posted Image Of course, just ask.

Posted Image West of Restenford.

Posted Image If you follow the road out past the abbey, it will take you west and then south to Garrotten. A foul and nasty town that supports thieves, harlots, and other debauchery.

Posted Image Directly west will take you to the Kelman Woods and then on to the Dead Forest. Nothing unusual there. Northwest will take you to Pebble Hills and Tri-Top. That area sesms to have a large gnoll population. Normally not a problem but lately something is causing them to raid Restenford. That is why we built the wall along that part of town.

Posted Image North of Restenford.

Posted Image The two rivers, West Restin and East Resten, flow south and merge just below the Dweomer Forest and Xerbal mountains. It then runs down to the sea at the point that Restenford was built. There is an area, just north of here, called Bald Hill. We have had problems with bandits hiding out in those hills. Normally, Sir BillyBob takes some of the younger soldiers up there to train them to hunt down the bandits.

Posted Image Sir BillyBob?

Posted Image Yes, an old half-elf that lives near here. He is retired now and works on his farm.

Posted Image Why does he take the younger soldiers out to hunt? Why not take the more experienced ones?

Posted Image Because, then no one would be here to protect the baron! Besides, he always casts spells on guards to protect 'em from harm. The soldiers learn to fight and see if they are really cut out for war, the bandits get what they deserve, and the roads are safe for travelers. However, he has been busy lately and I have heard that we are missing some goods that should have arrived by now. Some of my supplies are drying up also. Perhaps you should talk to him more about the bandits.

Posted Image Yes, we could do that.

Posted Image Good.

Posted Image Any other locations you can think of that we should look into?

Posted Image Of course, the Reddy Forest, just north of Bone Hill, and west of Tri-Top.

Posted Image Reddy Forest?

Posted Image Yes, not much there. Might be a good spot to rest between adventures. Another group of druids was working on building a shrine there but I don't know if they are still working on it or not. The problems with the gnolls have blocked all my communications with those druids. Actually, now that I think of it, if you are going there, please check on their status. You should meet with Martin, he is a ranger. He is young and inexperienced, a little rash, but this is good training for him.

Posted Image I have heard Pelltar mention Bone Hill. What do you know of that area?

Posted Image Bone Hill is the name for a hilltop just outside the Dead Forest. Long, long ago, it was the fortress to protect this area. Many battles over the years have battered it down to an old ruin. I'm sure all sorts of lost souls wander the halls of that place. Stories from travelers suggest that the dead are walking again out there. Undead disrupt the balance of nature. Please do what you can to correct this.

Posted Image A druid, eh? Do you have any spells or potions that we can purchase?

Posted Image I do have a few items my family and I have crafted. I can also provide some healing if you need it.

He has some potions, all of the protection scrolls, and even Raise Dead, which we can buy for the low, low sum of 8750 gold. I think I'll risk just having to run back to town, thanks. But man, Almax was definitely the man to talk to. Pelltar should have told us to go to him straight away! I wonder if they just don't get along or something. The other person to talk to seems to be Sir BillyBob. Thankfully his farm is just around the corner from here.

#337 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

We find Sir BillyBob surrounded by orc corpses. Is he trying to plant them?

Posted Image

Posted Image Er, yes I am. How did you know?

Posted Image Well, besides the fact that you are obviously the new party in town that everyone is talking about, I was with Pelltar when he advised the baron to hire you.

Posted Image I thought he was looking for any adventurers when we happened to stop by the temple he was at. I didn't realize I was exactly whom he wanted.

Posted Image Pelltar did want to hire another party instead of you, the Maulers, I believe they are called. Anyway, I had recommended you since Elminster said you could handle the task.

Posted Image Elminster said taht?

Posted Image Yes, he seems to have a strong interest in you. Actually, several of us do. But that is another issue that will come later.

Posted Image What can I help you with?

Posted Image For starters, could you explain the dead orcs all over your field?

Posted Image Ah yes, another day, another group of orc bandits trying to bother my farm. You would think that they would finally realize how hopeless it is to steal from me. If wolves wouldn't dare to bother my farm, why do orcs think they can?

Posted Image Speaking of such, perhaps you have heard about some bandits around here?

Posted Image Yes, it was mentioned in town.

Posted Image Good, I am glad to hear that you are investigating the problems here.

Posted Image The East Restin river flows down near the Xerbal mountains and close to Bald Hill where it joins with the West Restin river before heading out to sea in Restenford.

Posted Image There are several roads coming out of Restenford on this side of town. The one you see just south of us, and the one just north of my farm and the apple orchards. That north road runs between the East Restin river and Bald Hill. It is a perfect spot for bandits to attack travelers because of the hills.

Posted Image Normally, the town guards and I walk along that road to sweep out the nasties and make it safe for merchants. Unfortunately, with the crops starting to come in, many people are needed in the fields right now. As you can see, my crops haven't really started yet, but I am busy with livestock birthing and don't have the time to clear out Bald Hill.

Posted Image This is, of corse, where you come in. I need you to head north of here to hunt down any more orcs, bandits, or whatever else you find that is attacking the merchants. Something must be up there. We are missing some wagons and I haven't seen some of the merchants that normally stop by here this time of the year.

Posted Image Sure, we can do that.

Later, I found out that while I was engaging Sir BillyBob in conversation, another small drama was unfolding behind him, in his house.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Imoen and Safana ask Kivan to hold a Large Shield +1 for them when the conversation is over. They don't say why. It is obvious the direction Sir BillyBob wants us to go.

Posted Image

We go scout out the preliminary trail.

Posted Image

Hrm... there are three places we can go. But which one to visit first? I sit down and ponder, turning my gaze inward to my own private cacophony.

Ok guys, that's it for today. Which way should we go, though?

A. Go to Tri-Top. There are gnolls and the undead and an abandoned fortress near there, on Bone Hill. Also some druids building a henge. And you know this mod is called the Secret of Bone Hill so heading to that area is the main point!
B. Go to Thief's Den. Nobody has even mentioned this place, but there it is, bold as day, right on our world map. Mysterious. Let's check it out!
C. Go to Bald Hill. Sean Connery wants us to. We can kill bandits, and orcs, and orc bandits! We'll probably recover a lot of merchant caravan stuff too. North, to Bald Hill!

#338 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

B. Unmentioned Places! Possible Double Dealing! Renal Bloodscalp Cameo (may or may not be included)! What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#339 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

C. Go to Bald Hill. We'll clear the areas counter-clockwise, the logical way.

#340 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

In the main thread they have put forward the idea of bribing Sir BillyBob to join the party. What do you guys think about that?