Photo

AR0700 (Waukeen's Promenade) causes CTD [resolved]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Naxylldritt

Naxylldritt
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

This is a problem that's been plaguing me for a while and I finally decided to buckle down and try to fix it. I've done everything under the sun that I can to try to address the problem and I'm still utterly clueless. Here is what I know from all my tinkering.

• It is most likely not a problem with the area file itself; I checked the file multiple times in DLTCEP and aside from a few broken containers (which I managed to repoint and fix) everything seemed okay. DLTCEP now reports that everything in the area is properly working, including the WED and TIS files.
  • It is not a problem with any creature in the area. I ran the ARE Creature checking which spawns every creature on the map and destroys it after it is successfully spawned. None of the creatures caused a CTD.
  • I'm reasonably sure it isn't a problem with the script, because I ran through it a few times in DLTCEP and before it had several invalid functions, so I replaced it with the vanilla copy of the script from another computer, and DLTCEP says it now works fine.
  • The CTD occurs when the map is approximately 1/3 loaded, which, if I remember correctly, indicates a problem either with the area script or the creatures (probably not the latter).
  • This problem cannot be solved by fully reinstalling the game, surprisingly.
  • After logging the crash (I wasn't aware of how to enable this feature until just last night when I tried reinstalling the game), it seems to indicate that the problem is with AR0700.bif. My understanding is that this file is copied directly from the CD into the game directory if you do a full install--as I have done--so I tried directly doing that, still to no avail.
With that out of the way, here's some information I've collected from logs and whatnot.

WeiDU log:
Spoiler

baldur.err (when attempting to go to Waukeen's Promenade, AR0700):
Spoiler

baldur.err (when attempting to go to Adventurer's Mart, AR0702--the problem also occurs on other 700-family maps)
Spoiler

And, for what it's worth, I'll toss in Baldur.log.

AR0700:
Spoiler

AR0702:
Spoiler

Because the Adventurer's Mart crashes as well, this seems to indicate it isn't a problem with the big battle cutscene with Irenicus & co. Ergo, I'm most tempted to say it's a problem with the area's BIF or script, but if reinstalling it won't fix it, I don't know what could work from there. It also doesn't help that I'm not overtly familiar with what these files do, either. So with that out of the way, is there something I've missed or can attempt to finally fix this problem?

Edited by Naxylldritt, 21 July 2011 - 12:50 AM.

banner.png

RNHome is now a subsidary of Finlandcycles. Check it out!

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

This is a generic problem with biffed resources in the game - see description here. The only thing that really applies to it is your baldur.err message.

Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line #7641
Exp: pBiffHeader->dwFileType != mmioFOURCC('B', 'I', 'F', 'C')
Msg: c:\{path}\bg2\cd#\DATA\BIFNAME.BIF: attempted to use compressed BIF from CD, check free hard drive space

Sometimes, the referenced BIF will exist, but the game expects it to be in your main \data folder or in \cache\data. Copying it from the cd# folder (or the CD itself) will sometimes work. Other times, you may need to use DLTCEP to decompress the BIF. To do this, go to Extraction > Uncompress BIF. The decompressed BIF should end up in your main \data folder. Relaunch the game and see if this resolves the issue.

Note that also, your install order is a bit non-standard (plus you've moved or deleted all your mods, leading to the ????? in your WeiDU.log which isn't that great if you want to read it). Ascension should go near the beginning and BG2 Tweaks near the end, to name just a couple possible glitches (plus I don't see the Fixpack anywhere).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Naxylldritt

Naxylldritt
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:49 AM

I love you. Decompressing the BIF solved the problem entirely. Thank you so much, especially in such a timely manner--I'm used to seeing help on this forum take several days.

Yeah, I've really been meaning to completely delete the entire BG2 folder and reinstall everything, including mods, from scratch for a while now--that install order is ~2 years old, way back when I first found out mods existed. Since I recently learned how to write installers for the custom content I've made I'll probably finish that up and give this a second go, doing things in the right order.

banner.png

RNHome is now a subsidary of Finlandcycles. Check it out!