95 replies to this topic

#41 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

Wisp

Why would you do that?
Besides, special abilities getting removed is normal behaviour and is not a problem with scribe scrolls, other than that it, too, is a special ability.

Well, i wanted to test the whole game for stability and used my old character to do so. Is there any way to set "scribe scrolls" as a "trusted" ability so that it will be not removed during transition?

aha, and thanks for the explanation on flAddScribeSrolls. now i see.

Miloch

These reports are only really helpful if you do a weidu --change-log aldeth.dlg and so on (there's a pinned topic on doing this also)

Okay, thanks, I will. I just have some problems navigating on this forum, can you please point the topic i am supposed to report issues to please?

And how the hell do you do that quotes? Edit tags manually?

Edited by Suslik, 21 August 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#42 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

And how the hell do you do that quotes? Edit tags manually?

You manually copy the first code that includes the quote name etc, so yours for example is this:
[quote name='Suslik' date='22 August 2011 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1313992807' post='521191']
then you put the text in the middle and put the quote end tag at the end, this:
[/quote]

Or if you have two people to quote, you can use the MultiQuote function multiple times on one forum page and then use the Add Reply to make the first draft of the post... or you can edit the post multiple times... plah, plah... :lol:

Okay, thanks, I will. I just have some problems navigating on this forum, can you please point the topic i am supposed to report issues to please?

Erhm, you can post in in this topic... the instructions how to --change-log is here.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 August 2011 - 11:17 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#43 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

manually copy the first code that includes the quote name etc

oh well. i've thought there is a more civilized way to do so : D

i know how to --change-log. well, i think i know. my goal is to determine which mod is responsible for every error i have found and post that info in this topic? there is no specific topic for error reports?

#44 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:27 AM

There is no specific topic for error reports?

Well no, as the errors are no really related to BWP, but the mods that it uses... And if the fix is made specifically to a mod, it's updated... and if it's foreseeable that the error is not fixed soon, it can be included to the BWP Fixpack.
There's been problems in the past that the errors are not reported back to the original mods, as it might cause unintended problems. This thread was/is self explanatory...

Why there's no single thread is because it would be way too long, hard to keep track and most of the bug reports are way too old and even not relevant... as there's more than 2^1000 = 1.07150861 × 10^301 ways to install the mods, and that's way too many.

#45 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

Expanded records on errors i have found so far:

Aldeth Sashenstar(merchant's League) problem:
Problem: Aldeth trows a script error while trying to turn in dopplegangers quest and fails to open a shop.
Reason: ALDETH.DLG is somehow messed up: "etGlobal" instead of "SetGlobal", "tartShop" instead of "StartShop" and so on. "Quest XP Reduction -> Reduce to 50%: v6 BWP Fix" is guilty.
Solution: restored some backup of ALDETH.DLG.
Spoiler

Old problem with "Scribe Scrolls"
Problem: default mage ability to scribe scrolls is lost when exporting BGII character to BG1.
Reason: some abilities are removed during BGII-BGI transition.
Workaround1: set "flAddScribeScrolls" local variable to 1 manualy by CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("flAddScribeScrolls", "LOCALS", 1).
Workaround2: replace "GetGlobal("flAddScribeScrolls", "LOCALS", 1)" condition in dplayer3.bcs with "!HaveSpellRES("fl#MSCRL")". Notice that after this addition any main character(thief, fighter) will recieve this ability. Will not harm, but it will be useless.

"Gloves of spell speed"(fwbrac06.itm) reduces spell casting speed instead of increasing
Reason: "Amount" value in "Increase casting speed factor(189)" is set to -3, Revised Forgotten Wars Projects: Item Pack V0.1 is supposedly guilty
Solution: replace "-3" with "3".
Spoiler

Note: --change-log is really strange, because there should be way more mods affecting this file, somehow is TDD only reported.

"Improved alacrity"(spwi921.spl) does not work if a characted previously had this ability as a 9lvl spell
Reason: this ability(like energy blades, summon planetar and such) is treated as a special ability and no more memorized like a spell, character gets it as a special ability. If a character already has it, it fails to work properly. Seems to be due to component "Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells (each may be taken only once): v17"
Solution: easiest solution is to restore spwi921.spl from a backup, it will be treated as a regular spell again.

Protection from magic energy(spwi606.spl) does not work properly
Reason: magic damage resistance 100% does not reduce magic damage at all. it seems to be a bug in TobEx
Solution: set "Apply Concentration Check On Damage" and "No Spell Interruption On Zero Damage" to 0 in "TobExTweak.ini". Note that setting any of this values to 1(default) causes this weird error.

Spell protections work as not intended to
Reason: any spell protections(minor spell turning, spell deflection and such) work properly only after first time usage after game starts(or like that). If the spell is cast multiple times or game loaded, the spell will absorb infinite amount of spells and spell-turning spells will not reflect them back.
Solution: not found.
Additional info: this error appeared somewhere between BWP 9.4 and 9.10, because all spell protections work perfectly well in BWP 9.4.

I hope this may help someone. And please if someone will find a solution to that last problem, let me know.

one last lame qustions. what are those two numbers after every mod in --change-log text output? for example :
00002: ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ 0 2 // Thief High Level Ability revisions: v4.44

Edited by Suslik, 22 August 2011 - 03:48 AM.

#46 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:02 AM

Number of attacks per round table is messed
Reason: wspatck.2da is modified according to unknown rules.Note: --change-log is really strange, because there should be way more mods affecting this file, somehow is TDD only reported.

It's more likely that as the TDD's change is made pretty early in the install, and that the others know of it's existence and thus check it and if it's true, no other mod chance the file... It read so in the BWP .pdf file.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 22 August 2011 - 04:04 AM.

#47 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Jarno about that install order info.

Now a little more discovering:
About wspatck.2da
My wspatck.2da is:
Spoiler

Here is info of what it means: http://iesdp.gibberl...tob/wspatck.htm
Let us assume that i have one proficiency star in short swords and i am a mage level 13. According to the table, i should get additional attack per round, but in stats i see that there is still only one.

About broken spell protections
As i have mentioned above, sometimes my spell turning spells stop reflecting spells back and spell absorbing spells absorb them infinitely. I have renamed tobex.dll to ensure that tobex is not guilty. I have tried to restore those spells from a backup, even from clean install. No effect at all. What else can i do to investigate a problem such as this?

Edited by Suslik, 22 August 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#48 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

Let us assume that i have one proficiency star in short swords and i am a mage level 13. According to the table...

The table is only for warriors(Fighters, Rangers, Paladins and their kits... Barbarian among them). The the Bigg Tweak Pack has a component that can be made the other classes to be accounted.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 22 August 2011 - 06:19 AM.

#49 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

Okay, just as i've thought. What about spell effect debugging?

#50 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have managed to run my current BGMain.exe on another BWS version installation(9.4). All interface was terribly glitchy, but the thing i was testing was spell turning. And it turned out to be working perfectly well! So it seems that my spell turning issues are somewhere deep inside resources, not executable. Any ideas where to search?

#51 -max-

-max-

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

one last lame qustions. what are those two numbers after every mod in --change-log text output? for example :

I think the 0 is the component and the 2 is the subchoice in the component.

Example - install component 0 unlimited ammo? Choose one: 1-unlimited +2 arrows 2-unlimited +2 and +3 arrows, etc.

BTW its cool that you have found a solution for the attacks per round. Could you upload your file, as I can't figure out which backup file to use and I am nervous about messing up my game (since I already have grandmastery patch installed). Thanks.

#52 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

I think the 0 is the component and the 2 is the subchoice in the component.

Hi,

I guess 0 is the language and 2 the component number (what you call "sub-components" are components like others.

Hope this helps.

#53 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

okay guys, thanks a lot for help on numbers in --change-log

-max-

BTW its cool that you have found a solution for the attacks per round. Could you upload your file, as I can't figure out which backup file to use and I am nervous about messing up my game (since I already have grandmastery patch installed).

well, actually, it's quite difficult to mess the game restoring a file to override. you can always delete it from override and that's it. so, i am using this one:
Spoiler

ANY help on debugging spell effects to restore functionality of spell turning is appreciated

Edited by Suslik, 24 August 2011 - 12:05 AM.

#54 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

ANY help on debugging spell effects to restore functionality of spell turning is appreciated

All I can suggest is (again) try --change-logging some of the spells affected (spwi522.spl for example is Minor Spell Turning) to see which mod might be responsible.

Also, when you say you restored a backup to fix the problem, it helps to know which backup, because that likely means whichever mod's backup you restored is the mod that caused the problem (so that problem should be reported in the mod's forum so it can hopefully be fixed).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#55 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

I think BWP should update it's bat file and add this version of bg1 ub and the new sirines call

http://forums.pocket....msg326165.html

I haven't tested it yet, but it appears to install ok if bg1ub < sirinescall

#56 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

All I can suggest is (again) try --change-logging some of the spells affected (spwi522.spl for example is Minor Spell Turning) to see which mod might be responsible.

Also, when you say you restored a backup to fix the problem, it helps to know which backup, because that likely means whichever mod's backup you restored is the mod that caused the problem (so that problem should be reported in the mod's forum so it can hopefully be fixed).

Thanks a lot for reply on this tricky question. Let me summarize the problem and my measures:

Problem: I start the game. Load my savegame. Cast "minor spell turning" and it works well. Then I load the game again, cast "minor spell turning" again and it just absorbs spells without turning them back, infinitely(spell protection does not vanish after absorbing a certain amount of spells). Protection also fails to reflect spells if I cast it by another character. Spell turning, spell deflection, minor spell turning and all similar spells are affected.

Measures I have tried(fixed):
1) I have tried to turn TobEx off. The same.
2) I have tried to restore the backup of the spell from BGII - SoA clean install and it was still buggy. Now you see my point?

Thanks for advice on --change-log'ing - I will try and look into any mod affecting those spells.

Edited by Suslik, 26 August 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#57 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

ToBEx doesn't change the .exe - it externalises its calls to .dlls or something. I don't think you can just delete those or the .ini or anything like that - you'd probably have to test it without TobEx which is tough if it's the first mod in the batch. But there are two basic things you can do:

1) Run a --change-log on the same spell on both installs to see if there's a difference.
2) Diff the WeiDU.logs from both your BWPs to see any new or changed components - I would focus on those.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#58 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hi.

What could be causing this on a expert BGT install?

Z:\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\BGII - SoA>Del LR\sound\mary.wav
'tisunpack' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Could Not Find Z:\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\BGII - SoA\override\lr6603.tiz
Could Not Find Z:\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\BGII - SoA\override\tisunpack.exe

Is it that i didn't have Big Picture there? The readne says that its ascension component is not needed for the longer road, but what else could it be?

#59 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

ToBEx doesn't change the .exe - it externalises its calls to .dlls or something. I don't think you can just delete those or the .ini or anything like that - you'd probably have to test it without TobEx which is tough if it's the first mod in the batch. But there are two basic things you can do:

Yeah, I used the old scheme to turn TobEx off - to rename TobEx.dll into anything else. TobExLoader tries to replace internal BGMain function calls with those from TobEx.dll but if it is not present, it uses default function calls.

New info in spell turning bugs, potentially important
After a few hours of testing i have realized, that this bug was even back in 9.4! I just had to re-load the game a few more times to make it apparent!

I have also tried to restore spwi522.spl(for example, the same with all other protection spells) from BGII-SoA clean install, but result is the same: spells stop working properly after 1-2 game re-loads or multiple casts.

It means that this bug is quite old.

So I have made a test:
Anyone who has any BWP version installed is welcome to try and test please
Download my test savegame from here: http://dl.dropbox.co...ng SHS test.zip

Because it's a save from my BWP, not yours, all your string table will be messed up, so i will provide you with hotkeys to do required actions.

1) Cast "minor spell turning" on protagonist. Hotkeys: 1, f7, f3
2) Cast "minor spell turning" on Imoen. Hotkeys: 2, f7, f3
3) Cast "magic missle" by protagonist on Imoen. Hotkeys: 1, f7, f1, 2

If all goes well, the spell should bounce from protagonist to imoen and back total of four times and then hit Imoen. If it does so, load the savegame again and repeat steps 1-3 one more time. In my case every time i re-load game, "magic missle" just hits imoen and vanishes. Without removing a protection level or bouncing back.

#60 -max-

-max-

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

Ok Suslik I was able to replicate this spell turning problem. I summoned a lot of mages (from Gerhard Bluchers mod - createcreature("GBHREP1E") and saw that the spells were absorbed, not reflected back to the enemy mage (or they would have been wiped out quickly).

Also the cloak of reflection doesn't seem to send the lightning back at them either.

Did a lot of checking with the attacks per round thing and can't figure it out. Here is what I did:
1)I uninstalled the BG2 grandmastery tweak
2)Put the 2da file from the mods-bg2fixpack/bdash/dark horizons/the vault/and Vecna one by one into override and loaded the game each time to check.
3)Not one of them changed the attacks from 3 per round (level 14 fighter with 5 stars should be 3.5 attacks or 4.5 with grandmastery as you know).
4)Reinstalled grandmastery patch, and it did not add the extra attack, its still 3 per round. (Unless it modified a file that I did not replace)

I checked the 2da file with NearInfinity and it has all the same numbers as yours. (I think its from BG2 fixpack)

What I also don't get is why the attacks seem stuck at 5, regardless of dual wielding, and items and weapons that add attacks. The only thing that raises it above 5 is potion of speed or improved haste spell. The attacks are not stacking up above 5.

Starting at 3 attacks and adding these items (yeah I have a lot of item mods) should bring apr up to 7 or more. <_<