Photo

(Windows 7) Having an issue installing BWG for the first time

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Inriri

Inriri
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi everybody! I stumbled across this rather awesome sounding mod, and after having tried to install it four times, I am having an issue. The first two mess ups were totally my fault, since I thought installing something this big was a good idea during a thunderstorm. On the third install, I had gotten this error, and thinking I messed something up, I did a clean install of everything and gave it another go. It still happened and I'm baffled on how to fix this. I've done everything the instructions have asked, as well as installed it outside of program files.

Launching the TobExLoader gives me this:
Posted Image

Now when I click ok, I get this:
Posted Image

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x98EA1E File: ChDimm.cpp Line: 834 Expression: FALSE Message <null>

Some googling revealed that that error message could be solved with a clean installed, which I did but still got it. Searching the forum here suggests that I should be using a different launcher, but I can't find anything like that in any of the files. I'm still rather new at this whole modding thing, so please let me know if I need to provide any more info.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Did you read the FAQ's answer 2 ?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Inriri

Inriri
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

Did you read the FAQ's answer 2 ?

Yes. I made sure everything was off before I started everything. My filepath is C:\BI\BGII - SoA for the mods

#4 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Googling revealed this:

ChDimm.cpp at line number 805 or 834

BG2 failed to start up. Try to reinstall. Make sure that the baldur.ini file is NOT flagged read only and make sure that the [Alias] section is pointing to the correct directories of your install.

Here is a sample of what the [Alias] section should look like for a full install:

[Alias]
HD0:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\

D:\Games\... obviously refers to your own installation directory.

Different launcher refers to starting the game without TobEX, by using either the normal BG2 launcher or bgmain.exe.

10th

Edited by 10th, 24 June 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#5 Inriri

Inriri
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Googling revealed this:

ChDimm.cpp at line number 805 or 834

BG2 failed to start up. Try to reinstall. Make sure that the baldur.ini file is NOT flagged read only and make sure that the [Alias] section is pointing to the correct directories of your install.

Here is a sample of what the [Alias] section should look like for a full install:

[Alias]
HD0:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=D:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\

D:\Games\... obviously refers to your own installation directory.

Different launcher refers to starting the game without TobEX, by using either the normal BG2 launcher or bgmain.exe.

10th

This is what I have under alias:
[Alias]
HD0:=C:\BI\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\BI\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\BI\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\BI\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\BI\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\BI\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\BI\BGII - SoA\CD5\

I have tried the normal BG2 launcher and bgmain.exe, but I still get the same error. Tales of the Sword Coast launches fine, albeit with no mods if that helps any.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

I have tried the normal BG2 launcher and bgmain.exe, but I still get the same error. Tales of the Sword Coast launches fine, albeit with no mods if that helps any.

You did start the patched game before you installed any mods to it, right ?

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 24 June 2011 - 01:59 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 Inriri

Inriri
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

You did start the patched game before you installed any mods to it, right ?

Correct, and made a save in each game.

Edit: uninstalled and deleted everything. Gonna give it another shot and see what happens. It's installing right now, so hopefully it'll go over well

Edited by Inriri, 25 June 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#8 Inriri

Inriri
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

So this popped up

Posted Image

Why is this happening? During the setup and I had set the path to C:\BI\Baldur's Gate. After hitting ctrl+break the install is proceeding normally, but I wonder if that will mess things up.

Edit: Still getting the same error :(

Edited by Inriri, 25 June 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#9 -vaka-

-vaka-

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Same Problem. I dont know what i have to do.

#10 Inriri

Inriri
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:01 AM

I solved it, somehow. Seems for me installing Tales of the Sword Coast into program files magically made everything better.