TobEx Wish list

• Please log in to reply
821 replies to this topic

#681 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

I don't get the conversation. Obviously, a bow that has proficiency type set to Bow, will use the proficiency Bow details. Are you actually asking whether someone using a bow will benefit from a two-handed weapon proficiency star?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#682 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

[W]hy you can't re-ignite an NPC romance by getting them drunk.

Hahaha, what an awesome idea. Could we have this added to the wish list? ;) :D

#683 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

No

#684 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Are you actually asking whether someone using a bow will benefit from a two-handed weapon proficiency star?

Yes, that's what he's asking. A bow is a two-handed weapon per the "Type" as listed in its description.

I don't quite understand the fuss about this. The rules from which the proficiency system derives (2nd ed. Combat & Tactics and Skills & Powers) do not distinguish between melee and ranged weapons in the discussion of weapon style proficiencies. In fact, the rules specifically imply that bows count as two-handed weapons, since it says a halfling could not use the two-handed weapon specialty for longbows or halberds, since they're too big for him, but he could use it for a broadsword (which would be a two-handed sword to him) and presumably a shortbow (Combat & Tactics p. 49).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#685 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Can you quote the relevant passage? Fair use and all.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#686 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Can you quote the relevant passage? Fair use and all.

Fighting Styles:
Spoiler

The headings are:
Single Weapon
Two-handed Weapon
Weapon and Shield
Two Weapon
Unarmed
Missile or Thrown Weapon
Weapon-Specific Styles

Under Two-handed weapon it says:
Spoiler

[there are also two additional but irrelevant subheadings]

Edited by Dakk, 11 April 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#687 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Thanks. As expected, missile weapons are their own category. The mention of a longbow is just an example in a tangential paragraph about weapon sizes vis wielder size. The rules aren't implying anything about longbows being 2-handed, only large. On the contrary, the implication is that a halfling could take the 2-handed style and have it apply when he uses a broadsword, which for him has to be wielded with 2 hands.

Anyway, I'm being tremendously hypocritical by going off on this side issue. My apologies to Sasha and Asc64.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#688 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hey Asc64! I've done something like an investigation into weird kind of game stuttering. More info here: http://www.shsforums...the-stuttering/

It seems that a simple script block containing a check like this: Global("123456789012345678901234","GLOBAL",5) may start stuttering somewhere in the middle of gameplay. Loading previous savegame with almost the same condition does not stutter. Renaming the value to anything shorter will make the stuttering disappear while renaming to anything longer will still make the game stutter. More info is in that thread, read only the first post if you want the short version of what's going on.

Edited by Suslik, 12 April 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#689 -pacek-

-pacek-

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Does a character not gain benefits from sword and shield style while using a sling? I thought they did.

#690 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

...we are talking about opcode-specific conditions which are not kept track in a list but rather are triggered when something specific happens. What I am thinking of is a set of external effects being applied (via externalized list), and then removed when something happens that prematurely purges the opcode.

Only effects in the game work via opcode. Most hard-coded changes bypass effects directly and simply directly change the internal structure in question. The problem with trying to conceptualise the entire engine with effect opcodes and stats is simplistic in view and limited in scope, because effects must follow certain rules of application/removal. What you are suggesting for an example of:
if (target.bIsInvisible && !source.bSeeInvisible) target.savingThrows += 4
is flawed and highly dangerous because the modification is available to every function. It is much more optimal and to use a copy of the savingThrows variable and directly adjust that within a single function.

We agree here on principle – I can only guess at the source code so my suggestions are off on the details.

int savingThrowsLocal = target.savingThrows;
if (target.bIsInvisible && !source.bSeeInvisible) savingThrowsLocal +=4;
There is not a chance externalising this effect will provide much return, because all I would let you do is to change the number 4 to something else.

I'm personally fine with the current -4 AC bonus and hadn't known it existed ingame before aVENGER mentioned it. The saving throw bonus against SEEINVISIBLE=0 for non-area effect projectiles is more of a fix to something the developers intended to do than a request. I am always in favour in externalising those numbers as much as possible in order to anticipate future mod requests, but my life is not in danger if it doesn't happen.

On the other hand I still haven't changed my stance of the effect-carrying request. This is essentially part of something I have been pushing for a time and will come up through various other requests from other modders: partially externalizing opcodes that can be purged via hardcoded conditions so that any extra effects are also purged via those hardcoded conditions.

[Galactygon-happy suggestion]
Maybe this might work: turning these prematurely-purgable opcodes (20, 218, 223, etc. , ) as kind of an opcode 177. The difference between these prematurely-purgable opcodes and 177 would be the following:
a. 177 has conditions in params 1&2 in order for the .eff to affect, while the .effs carried through prematurely-purgable opcodes do not (unless they have another 177 nested in the .eff, which is handled normally)
b. unlike 177, these .effs can be purged prematurely (depending on the parent opcode and circumstances) regardless of what opcode there is in the .eff file
c. along with the .eff file, the parent opcode has its normal hardcoded effects on the .cre

Because all of these hardcoded prematurely-purgable opcodes are non-cumulative it would be possible to have multiple instances of the same effect with different resource fields in the same header, making externalized .2da lists unnecessary and inefficient from the modder's perspective.
[/Galactygon-happy suggestion]

On the other hand, it should be feasable to externalize which headers use which charges, so that additional headers can use indexes other than 0, and items with multiple abilities can be tied to a single charge count (index 0). A problem with more than 3 abilities that wasn't mentioned is the GuI problem when you choose the item's abilities in the quickslot via the inventory. That would need a scroll bar. tooltip.2da is not limited to 3 entries, but I'm not 100% sure and needs some testing.

With this we can fix an oversight where wands should not be using seperate charge counts for the different abilities. (Note to Fixpackers: inserting additional blank headers at 1 and 2 should do this, but there still might be problems with the GuI).

I need to question the usefulness of such a 'fix' in relation its usefulness relatively to requests of broader scope. For example, the expansion of stats has a much larger potential than to make items with more than 3 abilities.

I have heard this mentioned more than once, so it's somewhat important but not as much as the expansion of stats or the stutter problem.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#691 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

We agree here on principle – I can only guess at the source code so my suggestions are off on the details.

I totally agree with the principle of externalisation and customisability. That is one of the main aims of TobEx. However, I need to consider what is practicable as well. Someone may as well make the source code available if you wanted to edit everything up to dotting i's and crossing t's.

On the other hand I still haven't changed my stance of the effect-carrying request. This is essentially part of something I have been pushing for a time and will come up through various other requests from other modders: partially externalizing opcodes that can be purged via hardcoded conditions so that any extra effects are also purged via those hardcoded conditions.

That is fine. It still sits on the to-do list. I need to nut down on the details of the implementation, though.

[Galactygon-happy suggestion]
Maybe this might work: turning these prematurely-purgable opcodes (20, 218, 223, etc. , ) as kind of an opcode 177. The difference between these prematurely-purgable opcodes and 177 would be the following:
a. 177 has conditions in params 1&2 in order for the .eff to affect, while the .effs carried through prematurely-purgable opcodes do not (unless they have another 177 nested in the .eff, which is handled normally)
b. unlike 177, these .effs can be purged prematurely (depending on the parent opcode and circumstances) regardless of what opcode there is in the .eff file
c. along with the .eff file, the parent opcode has its normal hardcoded effects on the .cre

Because all of these hardcoded prematurely-purgable opcodes are non-cumulative it would be possible to have multiple instances of the same effect with different resource fields in the same header, making externalized .2da lists unnecessary and inefficient from the modder's perspective.
[/Galactygon-happy suggestion]

Will take Galactygon-happy suggestion into account. :)

With this we can fix an oversight where wands should not be using seperate charge counts for the different abilities. (Note to Fixpackers: inserting additional blank headers at 1 and 2 should do this, but there still might be problems with the GuI).

I need to question the usefulness of such a 'fix' in relation its usefulness relatively to requests of broader scope. For example, the expansion of stats has a much larger potential than to make items with more than 3 abilities.

I have heard this mentioned more than once, so it's somewhat important but not as much as the expansion of stats or the stutter problem.

Yep, my list is still so long I have to triage everything. I'm working on requests more than a year old at the moment.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#692 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Asc64, please do take a look at my thread. Everyone finds it extremely hard to understand what the hell I am talking about except for you =(

Just take into consideration the possibility that GetGlobal under certain circumstances may start executing like 100(probably more, I do not know) times slower with variable names longer than 23 characters(or so). It can be disastrous!

I need just approval of what I'm doing is right and that my methods are acceptable, because it looks like people only tend to blame tons of mods/buggy scripts instead of the way these scripts are executed =(

If you don't have time/unwilling to investigate the problem on your own, would you kindly give me some basic procedure call addresses so that I can try to reverse the thing myself?

I have summarized everything in the first post:
http://www.shsforums...post__p__539311

Edited by Suslik, 13 April 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#693 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

That is fine. It still sits on the to-do list. I need to nut down on the details of the implementation, though.

Will take Galactygon-happy suggestion into account. :)

Yep, my list is still so long I have to triage everything. I'm working on requests more than a year old at the moment.

Thanks very much.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#694 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I know you did some work regarding bags of holding already. Not sure tho if it touched on this. Reading the thread didn't shed much light.

See here for details on the problem.
http://forums.gibber...showtopic=24300

Short version is this:
item in container & item in inventory.
if on the same player only the inventory item is taken.
if on different players and the container is read first then both the 1st item in a container AND the 1st inventory item is taken.

TakePartyItem() needs to properly terminate if an item is found in a container of an earlier party member and there is still a copy of the item in other party members' inventories. Or it needs to wait to search containers until after ALL party members' inventories have been searched.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#695 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have a request regarding currently playing background music:

It seems that regular game music occasionally starts every few seconds or under other circumstances I do not know. The thing is, when the game is saved, music is interrupted and after save process is complete, it does not continue playing, waiting for the same trigger to fire again. Will it be difficult to continue playing the same track after the save process is done?

It also affects soundtracks triggered by dialogs which stop when the game is saved. It makes suslik sad : (

Edited by Suslik, 20 April 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#696 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I don't plan on touching the music system any longer due to the changes that BG:EE will be making.

--------------
Retired Modder

#697 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I wonder to what extent BGEE will include ToBEx and to what degree will the source code change so that you don't have to restart from scratch.

-Galactygon

Edited by Galactygon, 21 April 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image

#698 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't plan on touching the music system any longer due to the changes that BG:EE will be making.

And the schism begins?

[edit] Meant for that to be a question!

Edited by phordicus, 23 April 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#699 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

How about looking into how fonts are controlled?

in baldur.ini there is a line

Font Name=

If you put the name of a font that is on your system, ALL game text will be changed to that font. However, the game lags noticeably every time a large amount of text needs to be converted.

What I'm hoping for is that you could determine if there is a font size control switch that could be enabled so that
Font Size=
would allow for increasing/decreasing the base font or assigned font. It would make life so much easier for those who use widescreen mod as there isn't really any decent font mod that can cover a wide range of sizes

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#700 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1334 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

How about looking into how fonts are controlled?

in baldur.ini there is a line

Font Name=

If you put the name of a font that is on your system, ALL game text will be changed to that font. However, the game lags noticeably every time a large amount of text needs to be converted.

What I'm hoping for is that you could determine if there is a font size control switch that could be enabled so that
Font Size=
would allow for increasing/decreasing the base font or assigned font. It would make life so much easier for those who use widescreen mod as there isn't really any decent font mod that can cover a wide range of sizes

In addition to Font Name, I think there is also:

[Program Options]
F NORMAL [=NORMAL]
F REALMS [=REALMS]
F STONEBIG [=STONEBIG]
F STONESML [=STONESML]
F TOOLFONT [=TOOLFONT]
F FLOATTXT [=FLOATTXT]

but I have never tested them to see if they work (default values are in [] ). Has anyone else? There are also:

[Program Options]
Double Byte Character Support
Drop Capitals

which relate to fonts, but I've never seen anything (even disabled) that controls font size.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage