Another Install order.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hamstermilk

Hamstermilk
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hello.

Before starting I would add that I have spent the last 3 or so hours of my life trying to use the Big World Setup to help me install all of these great mods, but, for reasons unknown
I have for some reason not been able to install the mods using this tool. So, I therefor decided to try a more manual approach.

I could VERY much use some help with how to install these correctly in this modding jungle.
The goal with the modding ordeal would be to play through all Baldur's Gate games in one go (BGT), and having tweaks, fixes, and tactical improvments added for good measure.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Mods and tweak packs that I have picked out are as follow :

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG2 Unfinished Business
BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweak Pack
BG Spawn
BGT-WeiDU Tweak Pack
Bonus Merchants from the collectors edition
Sword Coast Stratagems
Sword Coast Stratagems II
Restored Textscreen Music
DavidGaiders Ascension

David Gaiders Improved -
Bhaalpowers;
Abazigal
Balthazar
Gromnir
Illasera
YagaShura
Demogorgon

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If possible I would be happy if you would point out flaws in the selection etc..

I would also very much appriciate that if you know of other stable, popular additions, to point out these and add them to the install list.

Thank you all on this site for making such an amazing game even better with age.

PS. Would like to add that I have spent a lot of time trying to use the search functions about this, but I can't for my life make it work for some reason.

Edited by Hamstermilk, 04 October 2010 - 12:10 PM.

#2 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hello.

Before starting I would add that I have spent the last 3 or so hours of my life trying to use the Big World Setup to help me install all of these great mods, but, for reasons unknown
I have for some reason not been able to install the mods using this tool. So, I therefor decided to try a more manual approach.

I could VERY much use some help with how to install these correctly in this modding jungle.
The goal with the modding ordeal would be to play through all Baldur's Gate games in one go (BGT), and having tweaks, fixes, and tactical improvments added for good measure.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Mods and tweak packs that I have picked out are as follow :

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG2 Unfinished Business
BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweak Pack
BG Spawn
BGT-WeiDU Tweak Pack
Sword Coast Stratagems
DavidGaiders Ascension

David Gaiders Improved -
Bhaalpowers;
Abazigal
Balthazar
Gromnir
Illasera
YagaShura
Demogorgon

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If possible I would be happy if you would point out flaws in the selection etc..

I would also very much appriciate that if you know of other stable, popular additions, to point out these and add them to the install list.

Thank you all on this site for making such an amazing game even better with age.

PS. Would like to add that I have spent a lot of time trying to use the search functions about this, but I can't for my life make it work for some reason.

The bonus merchants are included in BG2Tweaks or BG2fixpack (I never remember which is which...)

I think the only really important thing here is: fixpack first.
I'll suggest BGT as second; then all bg1 related mods; other tweaks; finally stratagems.

Anyway, among the BWP downloads, there are some guides as well, which show the recommended install order

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Read this forums pinned topics...

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG2 Unfinished Business
BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweak Pack
BG Spawn
BGT-WeiDU Tweak Pack
Sword Coast Stratagems
+BP

That's all in this little setup device, just put the downloaded files you have into a folder called "BiG World downloads", execute the program, give that directory, the BG2 directory, the BG1 directory, take the Tactical Setup, remember the select the "Further customization of your mod-setting", unselect the mods that you don't wish to download-extract-install with the BWS in the next window, and let the program take it's course and make the install for you...

DavidGaiders Ascension

David Gaiders Improved -
Bhaalpowers;
Abazigal
Balthazar
Gromnir
Illasera
YagaShura
Demogorgon

You do realize those are ancient mods that are likely cause a lot of trouble and nothing else...
They were "remade", if I know know it right into the BP ages ago...
Now, you almost "have to decide" which you wish to have, the BP, or the SCSII, cause they don't respond well with each others.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 -Hamstermilk-

-Hamstermilk-

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hey, and thanks to both of you for your help! =)

I have tried using the Big World Setup multiple times ( about 7 or 8 times :x ) using diffrent mod setups etc..
The last time I tried to use it I used a small selection of mods, roughly the ones I typed down in the starter post.

The Setup itself works good, but when the Big World Setup ends, and the WeiDU (is that right?), thats when I get problems.

I can do all the selections and come to the point where it says something like :

Game : BGT
Language : English
Destination cannot be found <-- or something similar.
Test : Passed

unfortunatly I dont have the computer handy as of now so can't see exactly what it says.

Then the install process begins and runs for about 5 minutes with the black screens flashing and text rolling,
after some minutes the black window closes itself, no prior message that I can see, and nothing happen.

So not sure what to do there =(

#5 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

DavidGaiders Ascension

David Gaiders Improved -
Bhaalpowers;
Abazigal
Balthazar
Gromnir
Illasera
YagaShura
Demogorgon

You do realize those are ancient mods that are likely cause a lot of trouble and nothing else...

Actually, they still work fine, provided you install them first (along with Ascension, ideally before the Fixpack) and provided you're using the WEIDU version of Ascension, in which they're included - at www.weidu.org).

They were "remade", if I know know it right into the BP ages ago...
Now, you almost "have to decide" which you wish to have, the BP, or the SCSII, cause they don't respond well with each others.

SCSII works fine with (indeed, integrates with) the Ascension-WEIDU versions, though.

#6 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Incidentally, if you can cope with dropping BP, you should be able to install the rest of the mods on that list pretty much in the order you give. Install the Ascension-WEIDU content (including Tougher XYZ) first. If I were you, I'd use the component of the BG2 Tweakpack (at www.gibberlings3.net) instead of the standalone Restored Merchants, but it probably doesn't make much difference.

#7 -Hamstermilk-

-Hamstermilk-

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:14 AM

About the Big Picture addon, I have been trying to wrap my head around what it actually does :x
Is it "only" an effort of grand preportions to make mods more compatible with eachother?

About the AI/Tactical part of BP, is it a big loss for one who havn't tried either stratagems or BP AI to choose one or the other`?

I'm guessing I should try to install the Big Picture mod in there somewhere aswell considering so many reccommends it =)

#8 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

About the Big Picture addon, I have been trying to wrap my head around what it actually does :x
Is it "only" an effort of grand preportions to make mods more compatible with eachother?

I believe the "big picture" name is out of date. Big Picture is now largely a tactical and enemy-enhancement mod, as I understand it.

About the AI/Tactical part of BP, is it a big loss for one who havn't tried either stratagems or BP AI to choose one or the other`?

I'm guessing I should try to install the Big Picture mod in there somewhere aswell considering so many reccommends it =)

SCS(II) and BP AI aren't really compatible atm so choosing one or the other is fairly unavoidable. I wrote SCS so I'm not appropriately placed to make a recommendation as to choice. If you choose BP, I think it belongs in your install order basically where SCS would be.

#9 Hamstermilk

Hamstermilk
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

If you wrote SCS I would like to extend the awe of my friends that have used your addon for BG =)
Thank you so very much for your time making it.

After some manual fiddling (I'm just not very good with this :P) I have decided to try the Big World Setup again, does it have a dedicated forum where I can ask for help troubleshooting some things,
can't seem to find a forum for it =)

#10 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

There's no dedicated forum per se, but you'll get your answers in the Megamod Help forum. If for whatever reason the BiG World Setup doesn't work out for you, consider doing a manual install. Simply follow the instructions in the latest Big World Project pdf.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#11 -Hamstermilk-

-Hamstermilk-

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

There's no dedicated forum per se, but you'll get your answers in the Megamod Help forum. If for whatever reason the BiG World Setup doesn't work out for you, consider doing a manual install. Simply follow the instructions in the latest Big World Project pdf.

10th

Yesterday I spent about 4-5 hours, and 3-4 complete reinstall (not kidding) and finally got it to work!
That Big World Project manual finally helped me pull it of.

After spending as much time trying to mod this game as one would spend playing an entire game from the modern era....
It was absolutely worth it =)

Thank you all for your help!!