• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

I've just noted two more bugs from v180a:
- throwing daggers +1 are not flagged as 'droppable', this means they stick in your inventary and you can't use them.
- Defensive rotation (blades) doesn't work at all: no blur, no ac bonus, no movement penalty... I haven't understood the problem, yet

From change-logs, BP was the only mod which worked with throwing daggers; I can't be so sure for the rotation.
Could you please check it and fix it, if you understand where's the issue?

Attached Files

Edited by Turambar, 03 October 2010 - 11:24 PM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

I don't see where or how BP could affect spcl522.spl, though I may be missing something.

Where did you get the throwing daggers +1? If they're not droppable, there shouldn't be a way you could've acquired them.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:16 AM

I don't see where or how BP could affect spcl522.spl, though I may be missing something.

I've only installed the main component, and the change-log reports that, but I'll have a look to the version I've installed.
It could be hidden in a generic COPY SPL folder override, so that it's not detected by searching in the code?
edit: there's no spcl522 in the BP folder; it could be changed in a copy_existing_regexp? I've found one which deals with spells (line 5810, innate level fix).
Anyway, I'll look at what the fixpack and the p&p fiends do, as well; I'll see if those two backups work

edit: I've noticed that not even copying the vanilla spell into the override folder solves the problem. The spell is cast regularly, but has absolutely no effect

Ok, I've finally found the problem: the ring of free action (RING09) gave me immunity from my own spell.
I'll have a look at that, then; I'm sorry for my (not first) wrong accusation against BP (which is really great, in reality).

So, the title becomes "one BP bug", but this one is sure...

Where did you get the throwing daggers +1? If they're not droppable, there shouldn't be a way you could've acquired them.

they were sold somewhere in athkatla (waukeen or slums). either a merchant in waukeen's promenade, or the copper coronet, or Gaelan's son(?) on his house's first floor.
I bought them regularly, and they occupied a certain slot, but I couldn't move them anywere (so, I could not either use them).
Moreover, what does the flag 'displayable' mean? most items have it, but those daggers didn't either

Edited by Turambar, 04 October 2010 - 05:02 AM.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

edit: there's no spcl522 in the BP folder; it could be changed in a copy_existing_regexp? I've found one which deals with spells (line 5810, innate level fix).

It's not being overwritten or explicitly patched, and that's the only regexp that I can see that deals with spells. And it just sets any innates to level 1 if they aren't already. This one is already a level 1 innate, so the BUT_ONLY should mean it doesn't get changed. So it's a mystery to me why it's showing up under BP in the change-log.

they were sold somewhere in athkatla. either a merchant in waukeen's promenade, or the copper coronet, or Gaelan's son(?) on his house's first floor

I see... they are being explicitly added to stores, so both dagg25 and dagg26 need their flags fixed. Not just "movable" but "displayable in shop" and "magical" also.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 -Horred the Plague-

-Horred the Plague-

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

I see... they are being explicitly added to stores, so both dagg25 and dagg26 need their flags fixed. Not just "movable" but "displayable in shop" and "magical" also.

I don't think those flags were even discovered when I originally added those daggers, back in late 2002. :P

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

I don't think those flags were even discovered when I originally added those daggers, back in late 2002.

I'm sure "movable" was, or no one would be able to drop anything :P. Without "magical" they can't kill any creatures immune to normal weapons either (plenty of these in BG2). But the unusual thing is why it's taken so long for someone to notice and/or report it, unless you just recently started adding them to stores. Oh well, easy to fix anyway. Not sure that spell issue is even BP though.

#7 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:20 AM

I'm sure "movable" was, or no one would be able to drop anything :P. Without "magical" they can't kill any creatures immune to normal weapons either (plenty of these in BG2). But the unusual thing is why it's taken so long for someone to notice and/or report it, unless you just recently started adding them to stores. Oh well, easy to fix anyway. Not sure that spell issue is even BP though.

Probably, I'm the only person in the world to use throwing daggers :lol: .

Concerning the defensive spin, I edited the post just after you replied; it's not BP's fault, but the fixpack's fault: free action protected me from my own defensive spin!

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#8 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

Probably, I'm the only person in the world to use throwing daggers :lol: .

Concerning the defensive spin, I edited the post just after you replied; it's not BP's fault, but the fixpack's fault: free action protected me from my own defensive spin!

Do the descriptions come out correct? I remember in previous versions that the daggers were unusable with a misplaced string but maybe they are just undroppable now? I have a fixed version of them in my local game but that won't help you with the descriptions I'm afraid.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Do the descriptions come out correct? I remember in previous versions that the daggers were unusable with a misplaced string but maybe they are just undroppable now? I have a fixed version of them in my local game but that won't help you with the descriptions I'm afraid.

Strings are always install-dependent (because what's in your dialog.tlk won't be in someone else's) so you would need to SAY the correct names after COPYing them into the game. And yes, those strings from the tp2 appear to be accurate (@63-@66 in setup.tra).

"Displayable" should affect whether you can see something in a shop but obviously it doesn't if you were able to buy them. Maybe it only affects whether you can see something in a shop after you sell it (which you can't if they're not also "movable").

#10 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Strings are always install-dependent (because what's in your dialog.tlk won't be in someone else's) so you would need to SAY the correct names after COPYing them into the game. And yes, those strings from the tp2 appear to be accurate (@63-@66 in setup.tra).

"Displayable" should affect whether you can see something in a shop but obviously it doesn't if you were able to buy them. Maybe it only affects whether you can see something in a shop after you sell it (which you can't if they're not also "movable").

They used to be displayable but the description said Grazzt and something else. In BP177, I think some Ascension strings were getting written to them but I have yet to install BP180 and check. Now it sounds like the strings are getting written correctly but just need to edit some item flags?
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Now it sounds like the strings are getting written correctly but just need to edit some item flags?

Yeah. Also an equipping effect wasn't set to equipped (what sets the crossguard colour in the paperdoll display). Common bug carried over from the unmodded game probably. Anyway, here's fixed versions:
Attached File  dagg25.itm   362bytes   197 downloads
Attached File  dagg26.itm   362bytes   198 downloads

Note that the text won't be right if you just copy them into your override manually, so you need to drop them in the BPv180/ITM folder before you install, so they get the SAY strings assigned correctly. However, I did change it so they'll say "Throwing Dagger" at least, even if you do just drop them into your override.

#12 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:21 AM

I've found a compatibility issue with the fixpack.

The fixpack fixes some trolls, which did not have the fainted version (and died without fire), and gives them an override script to switch between the two .cre s.
And here's BP code:
COPY_EXISTING ~KPTROL03.CRE~     ~override~
  WRITE_SHORT 0x24 ~88~ // CurrHP (was 70)
  WRITE_SHORT 0x26 ~88~ // MaxHP (was 70)
  WRITE_BYTE 0x234 ~8~ // HighestLevelPrimary (was 6)
  WRITE_BYTE 0x235 ~1~ // HighestLevelSecond (was 30)
  WRITE_BYTE 0x239 ~100~ // StrBon (was 0)
  WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~KPTROL03~ #8 // Override (was NONE)
  WRITE_ASCII 0x250 ~BPPRIE8A~ #8 // Class (was KPTROL03)
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
Which overrites the override script.

The result is, that the troll will never faint nor die. I haven't seen if that happens with other trolls, but I think you should check this for next version

I believe that other trolls have the same problem, including TorGal.

Here's the code from the fixpack, which you should consider in order to prevent immortality issues:
// add monhp1 item to trolls to prevent death; assign script to force transformation to dead form at low HP
COPY_EXISTING ~drshnl01.cre~ ~override~
              ~eletro01.cre~ ~override~
              ~kptrol03.cre~ ~override~
              ~pptroll1.cre~ ~override~
              ~sutroll.cre~  ~override~
              ~torgal.cre~   ~override~
  ADD_CRE_ITEM ~monhp1~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~AMULET~
  PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "kptrol03" = 0) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~kptrol23~
  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "drshnl01" = 0) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~drshnl11~
    WRITE_ASCII 0x258 ~drshnl01~ // restore Nith's attack script, pt 2: assign script
  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "eletro01" = 0) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~eletro03~
  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "pptroll1" = 0) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~pptroll2~
  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "sutroll" = 0) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~sutroll2~
  END ELSE
  PATCH_IF ("%SOURCE_RES%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "torgal" = 0) BEGIN
    WRITE_ASCII 0x258 ~torgal2~ #8 // race script
  END

Edited by Turambar, 08 October 2010 - 05:54 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

Actually, we can just write BPPRIE8A to its race script slot without moving kptrol03 and without touching the override script. Torgal would need to lose a script since he has 2 by default and the fixpack gives him another. Not sure if he needs all 3 that BP gives him. Same goes for Nilthiri (drshnl01) which gets 4 + 2 from the fixpack. Eletro01 doesn't look like it needs its script moved by BP. Pptroll1's scripts can be moved down a slot or two, same goes for sutroll. You might want to look at the ones that have too many scripts to see which one(s) can be dropped. Worst case scenario, we can merge 2 scripts into 1.