Photo

That is no ordinary Goblin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:56 AM

I seem to have run across a goblin with a special talent. Take a look.

Here's Jaheira playing patty-cake with our new goblin friend
Screenshot 1

And then a moment later...
Screenshot 2

I'm scared.

All kidding aside, as you can see, the creature in question is a Goblin Elite Archer (AGGOB04), and the weird animation morphing only seems to happen when you force the creature into melee. It is very brief, only seems to happen on the creature's melee swings, and immediately reverts to a goblin again as soon as it's attack is finished. Version I'm using is B4. It doesn't bother me all that much, but I thought I'd report it all the same.

Edited by AndrewB, 03 April 2010 - 06:03 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

Eh... wtf? That's a white abishai. There's no reason I can think of the goblin would morph into that. It uses a standard animation slot (0xe430 goblinelite_bow) so it's not even one of the IWD ones added by Infinity Animations. I've fought these suckers *tons* of times in testing and never saw anything like that. Maybe some other mod has messed with the default combat script (wtarsgt.bcs) to do this? That should be the only script it has. Might want to attach your WeiDU.log too.

You can try seeing if this patch helps, but it should only apply to other goblins who have an issue (icgob01 and icgob02 IIRC). Anyhow, never heard of them morphing into abishai...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

Eh... wtf? That's a white abishai. There's no reason I can think of the goblin would morph into that. It uses a standard animation slot (0xe430 goblinelite_bow) so it's not even one of the IWD ones added by Infinity Animations. I've fought these suckers *tons* of times in testing and never saw anything like that. Maybe some other mod has messed with the default combat script (wtarsgt.bcs) to do this? That should be the only script it has. Might want to attach your WeiDU.log too.

You can try seeing if this patch helps, but it should only apply to other goblins who have an issue (icgob01 and icgob02 IIRC). Anyhow, never heard of them morphing into abishai...

Maybe it happens because another mod added some BAMS with the same naming so it only happens in a certain cycle. Like attacking, spell casting or dying. Like the Yeti/Drider problem caused by BP or the CtB and RoT bugbear/Myconids. IA is probably repairing everything but maybe something is still sneaking in somehow.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#4 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

I do have the aurora51 patch applied. It's a bwp 8.3 installation. The weidu log:

Spoiler

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Maybe it happens because another mod added some BAMS with the same naming so it only happens in a certain cycle. Like attacking, spell casting or dying. Like the Yeti/Drider problem caused by BP or the CtB and RoT bugbear/Myconids. IA is probably repairing everything but maybe something is still sneaking in somehow.

Ah. Yeah, that'd be RoT hanging it up then, as discussed here. And I guess trying to MOVE the problematic BAMs out of the override before copying the good ones doesn't help for mods that are already biffed.

The only failsafe solution might be just to copy existing goblin sequences to the ones that don't exist, but do exist for the conflicting animation (white abishai attack2, casting and spell sequences in MGO4 in this case). So try extracting these to your override.
Attached File  mg04xtra.rar   212.35K   280 downloads

You could also try this to avoid copying or biffing BAMs as discussed in that thread, if it allows that yet. But I don't think that would fix things in an existing install - you'd have to use it in a new install.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

Like I said, this was less of a "OMG PLZ HALP" support topic and more of a "huh. that was weird. Maybe I should let the IA dudes know about it" report-type thread, but thanks for the override fixes all the same. I take it it's not something you've seen too much of?
BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

I take it it's not something you've seen too much of?

I haven't seen it at all, but I see now how it could happen with installing IA or Aurora over already-biffed mods like RoT.

#8 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

I take it it's not something you've seen too much of?

I haven't seen it at all, but I see now how it could happen with installing IA or Aurora over already-biffed mods like RoT.

Miloch,

I would like to try and incorporate the changes of IA animations into the big BG2 mods for immediate future or near future releases. Should I just follow the IA installation verbatim as to how it appends the ANIMATE and ANISND files with appropriate BAMS? The only reason I was hesitating was that I did not want to come in and say"I will use this and this" and then those mods own the animation slot.

A lttle while ago, Arkenor was mentioning doing this kind of work but I can pick up where he left off so we can achieve sooper-compatibility and universal harmony. Just give me a heads up as to how I should arrange everything. Unless you want to keep it as an IA installation only. :unsure:
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

I would like to try and incorporate the changes of IA animations into the big BG2 mods for immediate future or near future releases. Should I just follow the IA installation verbatim as to how it appends the ANIMATE and ANISND files with appropriate BAMS?

You would have to copy the .exe patch too and some other code like the code-page-checking for non-European installs. Right now, that code is kind of iffy but I think I have a pretty stable solution for the next release (unless Erephine appears with something better). So you might want to wait until then and then copy that code. I might make it an external .tpa so other mods can just INCLUDE it as one file rather than copying and pasting a bunch of code.

In the meantime, it might be good to disable biffing (at least of BAMs) in the big mods, or make biffing a separate optional component at least. Otherwise, it can cause problems like the above issue, though there should be a workaround for that too (either by copying duped BAMs as I've attached here or by this).

#10 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

I would like to try and incorporate the changes of IA animations into the big BG2 mods for immediate future or near future releases. Should I just follow the IA installation verbatim as to how it appends the ANIMATE and ANISND files with appropriate BAMS?

You would have to copy the .exe patch too and some other code like the code-page-checking for non-European installs. Right now, that code is kind of iffy but I think I have a pretty stable solution for the next release (unless Erephine appears with something better). So you might want to wait until then and then copy that code. I might make it an external .tpa so other mods can just INCLUDE it as one file rather than copying and pasting a bunch of code.

In the meantime, it might be good to disable biffing (at least of BAMs) in the big mods, or make biffing a separate optional component at least. Otherwise, it can cause problems like the above issue, though there should be a workaround for that too (either by copying duped BAMs as I've attached here or by this).

OK sounds like I can wait a bit then. If these are goblins (BAMS/animations) from Aurora, I did not encounter the mix up in my game but I had Aurora v.3 so I probably suck for comparison.

Did you guys include night hags at all? I wanted to use them for TDD and Planar sphere enemies but I did not see them in the lists. For now, I use CuVs for my testing and reduced the size a bit for them and he did everything as far as adding the different cycles. Not sure what would need to be done to them further to use them.

EDIT: Probably need to add some sounds for the Nighthags other than the Bodhi default.

Edited by Hoppy, 05 April 2010 - 04:14 PM.

- King Diamond

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:51 AM

If these are goblins (BAMS/animations) from Aurora, I did not encounter the mix up in my game but I had Aurora v.3 so I probably suck for comparison.

The OP had an Aurora goblin but it just uses the normal goblin elite animation (MGO4) so it could happen with any goblin elite archers. RoT overwrites that slot with white abishai animations; IA then restores the goblins and slots the white abishai properly. Problem is the abishai has more sequences than the goblin, but I think the glitch would be rather rare because that isn't a standard MGO4 attack sequence. Anyhow, the files above should fix it in the meantime until the next release.

Did you guys include night hags at all? I wanted to use them for TDD and Planar sphere enemies but I did not see them in the lists. For now, I use CuVs for my testing and reduced the size a bit for them and he did everything as far as adding the different cycles. Not sure what would need to be done to them further to use them.

I don't think night hags were ported yet (you can see all the ported animations here btw). Erephine said here the PS:T animations should be ported to BG2 slots rather than IWD ones (which is what Cuv used - made sense at the time but no longer necessary). She also told me recently she had ported most of the remaining PS:T animations properly - hopefully she'll make an appearance soon to upload them.