BiG World Project (BWP) v9.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
663 replies to this topic

#121 ChiXiStigma

ChiXiStigma
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:55 AM

WOW, 11 downloads

Edited by ChiXiStigma, 15 April 2010 - 04:56 AM.

Teach me the tongue of fire so that I may set the world ablaze for it is cold and this blindness can no longer give me shelter

#122 ChiXiStigma

ChiXiStigma
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:12 AM

My result of latest installation:
Map seems to be ok but for example fireball animation seems to remain just as in original BG1. what do you advice me to do?

A friend of mine would suggest, to kick your PC (really hard), maybe you sould try it, if you break anything and it doesn't boot then you won't have to worry about BWP any more, you may call it a solution to your problem :)

A really appreciate yours and your friend's great sense of humour but the problem remains the same:

I am becoming really a guru of reinstalling BWP, my computer is busy with this task for more than a week already :) But with latest fixes in BWP, in standart installation, fireball animation(don't know about other spells, only fireball and delayed fireball) seems to be oldschool like in BG1. Here is my BiG World debug.txt:

I am really a really a fan of BG1, so it's ok if only fireball will be with old-style visualization, but maybe it's a sign of a more serious problems?

I don't know if it's going to help or not, but you can delete baldur's gate 1&2 from control panel -> add/remove programs and then delete the folders from program files or wherever you installed them. Then you can make a clean Installation (no extracted files placed at BG directory, let BWP extract them) and follow the steps I followed, it worked for me, I did it twice, it could work for you as well. Here's what I did: Attached File  BWP Instructions.txt   4.14K   399 downloads
I know, it's a pain in the ass reinstalling BWP but it could work.

NOTE: I chose not to install any foreign language mods, I also chose tactics version (1st time) and Standard version (2nd time), not custom installation or any other kind of installation.
Teach me the tongue of fire so that I may set the world ablaze for it is cold and this blindness can no longer give me shelter

#123 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

I think as far as his installation goes, it is working as intended. The fireball thing would just be a symptom of some graphical cause (like drivers not being up to date, or not using 3D Animations/3D Acceleration in the config) that would most likely be present even if he were to do a completely fresh installation of Baldur's Gate with the same settings he has now.

The first thing to do would be to make sure the video drivers are up to date, and make certain 3D Animations and 3D Acceleration are turned on in the config. If the problem persists, check out this thread.

Edited by AndrewB, 15 April 2010 - 06:29 AM.

BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#124 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

my guess is, it's a hardware acceleration/graphics issue. There are only one or two mods that might touch the graphics of the spell in the BWP (and one of those is marked Expert).

My logic:
On of the main tasks Infinity Engine has to do is to render sprites from game resources. He may do it two ways: with hardware acceleration or without. So he may render the same sprite using two approaches. If both approaches are correct, the result has to be the same. But all of a sudden appears a guy "AndrewB", and tells "dude, it's a hardware graphics issue". Of course i think it's ridiculous because rendering approach will not change game sprites themselves but due to unknown reason i go and turn the acceleration on. What's the result? Fireball sprite magically(well, literally) changes to BGII. There is something i want to ask: what the hell?!

I've reintstalled BWP damn four times but all i had to do was to turn the acceleration on?! Oh, god, it's really hard to be stupid. There is a proverb in russian, it may be translated like "Legs are without rest because of foolish head", it's about me.

Although i'm not going to post xxx pics to thank you properly just as our witty friend does, but i really appreciate your help, AndrewB.

Edited by Suslik, 15 April 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#125 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

so your fireball thing is fixed then?
BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#126 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

so your fireball thing is fixed then?

yep, thank you :)

#127 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

cool, glad I could help.

Just out of curiosity Suslik, are you still seeing the problems you reported in post #73 with hardware acceleration on?

Edited by AndrewB, 15 April 2010 - 02:56 PM.

BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#128 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

cool, glad I could help.

Just out of curiosity Suslik, are you still seeing the problems you reported in post #73 with hardware acceleration on?

Just to clarify: I've encountered crashes when hardware acceleration was turned on in BWP 9.0.1: it crashed randomly during intense fights. So I played without acceleration and it was ok. CDT occured, but really rarely, let's say once a day. Animation of spells was ok. Then i've found a few more bugs(some of NPC speeches were messed up, SoBH was not installed at all and a couple of others). So i decided to reinstall the whole BWP, to version 9.0.3. After first reinstallation all seemed to be ok(except for savegame incompability from previous installation), but there was an obvious problem with fireball animation: it was from BG1, not from BG2. I did not come up with something more clever than to reinstall it once more. But even after second reinstallation fireball animation seemed to be crappy. So you adviced me to turn the acceleration on. Animation magically become normal(from BG2), and i played for more than 7 hours already and there were no CDT's(obviously they disappeared magically too).

#129 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

And two more advices, if i knew it earlier, it would save me hell of a time:
Hint1:
During BWP installation there are three "phases"
1) Downloading of mods
2) Unpacking
3) Execution of NSIS modules
4) Checking of mods which are "ready to install".
5) Running .bat installation script

It's obvious that once you've downloaded the modules(they are in archives and in exe's) you don't have to download them again. If BWP says that it was not able to download some of them(BDash168.exe and others), you may always download them manually and put'em in "BiG World Downloads" directory. So next time you wish to reinstall BWP there will be no need to download them again. Just don't forget to update BWP installer itself and download links, otherwise it will try to download outdated versions of mods.

So phase 1 seems to go quite smoothy. But there are often problems with phases 2-3: i often recieved a couple of modules(about 5-10) that due to unknown reasons were not extracted properly. BWP asked if i wish to try to extact them myself, i answered yes. But hey! It does not re-check what mods i extracted and what mods i messed up, it then just runs the .bat script, which sometimes freezes when i did something wrong during manual extraction. So i have came up with a solution that seems to work just fine:
When you extract all nessessary mods manually, just close the BWP installer and run it again. Unfortunately i did not find a better way to make BWP installer re-check extracted mods other than to run it one more time(wihout clearing BGII - SoA folder!). If you did it properly, in the 4 phase using standard installation you will recieve a message that three mod were not found: selune's armoury and two others. It is ok, you may safely tell BWP to remove them from installation and run .bat script.

Hint2:
Sometimes the .bat script freezes after a few hours. Sometimes it fails to install some mods. It seems to occur randomly. It takes really much time to reinstall BGII-SoA, reinstall ToB, patch, run BWP installer, unpack mods and so on. So i tried to backup BGII - SoA folder when BWP finished phase 4 successfully. If the .bat script crashes, you may wish to restore the backup(it is about 10Gb), and run it again.

Edited by Suslik, 15 April 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#130 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

If you extract missing files and the BWS continues, it's because it recognized the TP2-files that it was missing before. It does not check for all the files that should be in the archive.

And why would you want a "oh found it, I can continue-screen" when the BWS could just continue?
Makes more sense for me...
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#131 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:10 AM

And why would you want a "oh found it, I can continue-screen" when the BWS could just continue?
because i want to know what mods i extracted properly and what mods i failed. and then i wish to remove "failed" mods from installation.

#132 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

There is a quest about shadow druids in cloakwood 4(BG1). Some random druid says that to reach the shadow druid fortress location i just have to cross the bridge and go south. I cross the bridge, go to the south, but there are no new locations on the world map. Am i doing something wrong or it is a bugged mod?

Fxd: nevermind, quest guys appeared on previous map.
Fxd2: How in the nine hells is it possible to delete a post?

Edited by Suslik, 16 April 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#133 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

That annoying bug appeared again: in the middle of the game imoen's speech gets messed: she says "You're qeer fellow", for example and it is written in subtitles but the sound plays her death cry. Most of her phrases are just misplaced. Has enybody else encountered this bug? I was unable to find it using search.

Actually, if i load veeery oold savegame, Imoen's speech is ok. When i load a recent one, all phrases are shuffled. Please help, i did not intend to part with her :(

Edited by Suslik, 16 April 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#134 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:30 AM

Sorry for huge amount of stupid posts, but one more problem:
Somwhere in Baldur's Gate City sewers the game started to lag. It is a very strange lag: just about every second it freezes for about 0.1sec and then goes on, so it is very "rhythmic" lag. This lags appear only when game is not paused. I've tried to remove all from "cache" folder, to remove all npc's, to drop all items and set all detail to lowest. Lags remain. What may be the problem?

Fxd: the problem seems to be solved. Just as always i am unable to explain it, but somehow after i load one of my old savegames, and then new one, lags disappear.

The prob from #133 is still active though

Edited by Suslik, 17 April 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#135 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

About the first problem, the one with Imoen: Is this an old save from a previous installation? My general rule of thumb is that saved games expire the moment I make any changes to the installation. So if I do a reinstall, I would never use a saved game from before that. Now, I don't know if that is what's causing your mess there (it could be something else entirely), but that is the type of thing you would see when using an old save game where the String Refs don't match up.

About the second problem, the stuttering: when you drop all the items on the ground, you need to wait a few rest cycles for them to decay to be really gone. If that doesn't do anything, then you'll know it's probably script related.
BEGIN BIFFING

SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#136 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

AndrewB
About the first problem:
No, after reinstalling i started a new game. Both in previous installation and in current somewhere in the middle of the game(~6th chapter) Imoen's speech gets messed.

About the second problem it's really strange: i have to load a savegame which runs without lags and then the "problematic" one and it runs well too.

Btw in the 6th chapter i started encountering battle CDT's using hardware acceleration(again, just as in previous installation). So i had to switch to software again :(

Edited by Suslik, 18 April 2010 - 06:38 AM.

#137 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

On page 15, Section 1 a. of BiG World V9.0 English PDF, there is the following URL which gives links to all the mods in BWP. The URL is:

http://www.kerzenbur...ead.php?t=34931

When I try to go to this site, this URL (or my computer) sends me to:

http://www.o.de/such...s=Baldur-s-Gate

This is not where I want to go. Is anyone else having this problem?

Second question.

BoneHill V2.75 has been released. BWP V9 suggests using BoneHill V2.40 and 2.45. Will BoneHill V2.75 work with BiG World Installpack V9.0.2?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom

#138 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

Click

And yes it does. The pdf is not updated for subversions.
Look at this thread (page 3) or the download-section and you'll see that 9.0.2 is out and is aware of some updates, e.g.
%IFES%BoneHillv275%S%BoneHillv275%L%0%SK% 0 | %M%

Edited by dabus, 18 April 2010 - 07:40 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#139 mp84

mp84
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

Hey Everyone,

Forgive me if this is has been asked before, but it seems every time I use the search feature I get a database error, so I might as well just ask the question.

I installed the BiG World Project, and everything seems to be working like a charm, I only had one mod that couldn't install in the standard version (Assassinations Mod, which I didn't think is a big deal), and I'm enjoying Baldur's Gate with the BG2 engine as we speak, but there is a minor problem that's popping up that I hope is maybe just a fluke, but if there's anything I can do let me know.

Ever since I entered the Nashkel Path, and now the Carnival area next to Nashkel, anytime I click on the rest button, I will get a crash to desktop.

I hoping it's maybe just a fluke for these 2 areas and it will be fine after, but it this persists, at least I have the thread already made, does anyone happen to know a fix to this problem if there even is one?

I wish I was using my main computer to play the game, but for some reason BG 1 will not install on comp, (Vista 64, sigh), as it hangs once I click the install button, and after it reaches 100% for the installation prep (While that's not my main problem, if anyone's encountered this before, and has a solution to this too let me know!, hehe).. So I had to resort installing it to my laptop, which is not great, but well enough to run BG2 though.

thanks everyone, and let me say fantastic work all around on this project.

#140 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

Ever since I entered the Nashkel Path, and now the Carnival area next to Nashkel, anytime I click on the rest button, I will get a crash to desktop.

WeiDU.log please... As I suspect that the "Moinesse's Avatars" mod could be the cause... don't know what's off with that one, but it has sleeping related errors elsewhere... if the mod is correctly identified that is, and that's a big IF.

Anyways, you should be able to install the BG1 to your Vista computer, the problems might be related to few things:
Do not install the game to the default install folder nor anywhere near the "Program Files..." sub-folders or the like in other language OS'es.
Go off-line if you feel like it, and then disable your Virus Protections, User Account Control, and any other program that might like to interfere, restart the computer and then install the game, the expansion and the patch(and what ever you do, do not install anything related to the Direct-X), and then you can enable everything you just disabled. Well, if you wish to keep installing with the BWS, don't enable the UAC, and... anyway.

but it seems every time I use the search feature I get a database error, so I might as well just ask the question.

Yeah, the search function has been off from the beginning of this year, so that's no surprise.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 April 2010 - 09:30 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.