Photo

BiG World Setup Beta-Testing

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#781 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

But will that tell me how to fix the problems I had?
I want to start a new clean install and try to fix the "invalid argument" problem, because I have a feeling that's what causing this whole mess :\
Any idea what that is?

#782 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Nope. not exactly. The black window you described and the questions are related to the BiG World Install.bat and I don't know about such an error with cut, but cut is only used to display text, so your install may still be ok. So you should have a look into the logs and see if the content you sought to install is in there as you already said you wanted to do. If BGT was not installed, then something went wrong. It's possible that the Batch did not find the Setup-BGT.exe because there is no such file in the BGT-archive and I'm not sure if the batch makes sure that it copies a WeiDU-Setup to create one.

Uh, and I don't know if the sense of the installation-method translated to you:

BiG World Install.bat (fixed and well-tried) => Semi-fixed mod selection, so you will have to edit the batch if you want to have your selection of components. And you will have to edit the batch if the preselection does not contain a mod of a "harder" or "buggier" preselection and you wanted that mod.
BiG World Setup (detailed customization) => You can select the components you want.

It also does not use the cut-program and stops if you want to if there are faults/warnings during the install.

Edited by dabus, 03 August 2012 - 10:48 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#783 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

BGT was indeed not installed. I know because after the installation finished, it gave me a long list of uninstalled mods, and BGT was there. I checked for it specifically because of the error at the begining - when the black window thingy opened up and all the questions poped up, it said BGT was not in the BGII - SoA folder, so I downloaded it by myself and extracted it there, including the setup-bgt.exe file... Is it possible that it can't install it even if it's there for some reason?
Also, I remember when I installed BWP with my old computer and the old BWS, and back then when the game started there was the famouse Elminster picture with the menu selection. This wasn't the case here.

#784 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Also - is there a losultion to the 3D acceleration problem?

#785 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well, there's something strange...
I decided to update my graphic drive, though if anything the drive is already too new...
My computer CRASHED in the middle of updating. I was doing several other things, so it might have crashed because of something else...
All of a sudden, the game works with 3D acceleration O_O
I have no explanation...

#786 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Just wondering, how is it going on the english translations that were being done for Ascalons Questpack & Breagar? Or maybe, where can I find info on this? Or do the BWS install english text for these mods already?

#787 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Just wanted to notify, that Infinity Animations will not install properly with latest BWS version. Just tried it yesterday.

Error message is here: http://www.shsforums...-ia-on-install/

And reported to official forum here: http://www.shsforums...-out-of-bounds/

Any clues dabus?

Btw how did it go with that web frontend for the BWS? I figure you would be pretty tired of this utility by now.

#788 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

There's no new statement to English translations of Ascalons Breagar mods. If you want to, you can modify the TP2 and get google-translator-quality. Since there was nobody willing to proof-read and improve it, it's highly possible that it has not changed since then.

I don't know about bugs. I can only do some google-fu, nothing more. The guy who was supposed to develop the web frontend was pretty busy with his real life, so nothing new there. The good thing is that I don't necessarily have to go and check packages that often since links are fetched from a package that's build at the Kerzenburg, but I think I did mention it before... Haven't spent much time on the BWS since my colleague is on a vacation and there's bunch of changes to attend to and you can always do something in the garden. Most of the time I did investigating a behavior / bug that I cannot fix, but rather have to rewrite portions of the code. A well, lets say I've been more enthusiastic about it but also much more pissed about it then I am now.

#789 -Piotr-

-Piotr-

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

I was going to try bws after a year break but the download link ends up with a 404 and I cant find any other places to download it from. Could anyone kindly upload it please.

#790 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the hint, I've missed to get those inactive-warning mails. :whistling:
Get it from here.

#791 Ungrammatical

Ungrammatical
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

Thank you very much. I have downloaded it from that site but I couldnt pick sub components and not even components itself. I Take it this is not the beta version but in the release version there was this check box that allowed you to pick components and i cant find it either.

#792 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

You have to select BiG World Setup (detailed customization) install-method and click on the [...]-button right to the preselection-combbox on the next screen. The BiG World Install.bat (fixed and well-tried) method does not allow you that. It's just for guys that still want to do things on their own editing the batch or install manually - and since you can only select components using the batch, the BWS does not show you those.

#793 Ungrammatical

Ungrammatical
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

Thank you

#794 -Jarin-

-Jarin-

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

I just noticed that checking the "recommended bwp installation" picks a lot of mods that BWP has listed as "expert", and skips quite a few mods that BWP has listed as "recommended" (including dark side!). this seems rather counter-intuitive.

#795 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

You reported it, good first step. But how about telling which those are if you already know?
I got an idea how to check those settings automatically but honestly don't feel the urge to go through those 450 mods by hand.

#796 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

@dabus I reported that to you earlier also :)

Some "odd" things with the recommended/green preset in BWS that comes to mind:

Askaria Questmod & Askaria Chaosknight Kit - BWP pdf and Kerzenburg BWP links lists these as Expert. At my last install, I was so intrigued by this that I checked up info on those mods. To say the absolute least, they seem of poor quality, and should probably not be in the recommended preset. This even shows up as red color in BWS but is selected nevertheless.

Neverending Journey - BWP pdf and Kerzenburg BWP links lists this mod as Expert. I don't believe the mod is even finished or in a 100% working state (or maybe I am wrong?). Either way, this mod is such a radical departure from the original Baldur's Gate so it should not be included in the recommended preset anyway.

LadeJarl's Tutu GUI - BWP pdf and Kerzenburg BWP links actually list this as Recommended/green. However, this has existed since 2005 and has never been included before. It's a radical component in the same way as "W_GUI" (which is marked as expert because of this reason alone), because it replaces the GUI with the Baldur's Gate 1 interface. I think this mod also breaks some features of TobEx (scrollable spellbooks etc) - there are already people reporting that they need to reinstall simply because this gets installed. I don't think anyone expects this to be installed without it being explicitly chosen. Moving this to Expert preset is probably the best solution.

Some other less important but still mysterious components that gets selected by the BWS recommended preset:

SCSII compoent, Difficulty of level based spawns: (of 4 choices) Highest - Odd choice if you ask me. Should be tactical only?

Hmm, can't think of more right now, but I know they are there :P for me, installing according to a preset seems very hazardous in BWS at the moment - but I don't understand why anyone would either when it's possible to select everything :P

#797 Jarin Hawkeye

Jarin Hawkeye

Wanderer

• 37 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

Methinks the "recommended" mod list still has an older, less full mod list in mind.

Anyway:
The recommended mod list's anomolies:
Mod names - colour code of the mod's name in installer - status in the recommended mod list as provided by bwp.
Dark Side of the Sword Coast - Green - Not Checked.
Askeria Quest Mod - Red - Checked.
Chaosknight mod kit - red - Checkjed.
Finch NPC - blue - checked. (don't necciserly mind)
Never Ending Journey V6.80 - red - checked.
Tortered Souls - Red - Checked. (Especially odd considering the BP compatible version is listed in blue and is not checked).
Elistraee's song - green - not checked.
Faren - Green - Not checked.
BG1 NPcs for SoA - Blue - "NPC Sounds" component checked - What purpose does this serve?
Banter packs - Green - Soa Banter accelerator not checked.
SCSII - Green - "Almost maximum difficulty" for level groupings checked - debatable? Atleast it is not maximum.
Turnabout - Colour coded in orange, checkmarks are in green?
BG2 tweak pack - Romance cheats checked, yet none of it's effects are checked - serves no purpose?
Enhanced BG2 - Blue - Checked, checkmarks are in green?

SCSII - More sensible weapon and kit choices for fighters - blue - why is this? Sounds pretty standard to me.
Smarter Illesara and Yaga Shura - Green - Not checked.
NPC Kitpack - Green - Individual choices are blue, none of them are checked.
Improved animations base - Svirneblin animations - Green - Not checked.
Tutu Gui - Green - Checked - recommended against above.
Widescreen mod - Blue - not checked - HIghly recommended!

These oddities have only been checked agians the latest BWP installer itself, and not against the BWP PDF. However, they do include all stuff I could find.

Edited by Jarin Hawkeye, 17 August 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#798 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Ah, weil, that's because there are some cooks and some differences between and in between.

For example the batch treats DSotSC as Standard, thus the components get installed when using standard, while the guys at th Kerzenburg labeled it as recommended. Thus you got the mod as green though nothing gets selected. It's kind of irritating since the recommended setting was "virtually" used in the link-list before it was included in the batch -- ah well, you get the idea.
(%IFSD% Call %INST% DSotSC "0 5 11 100 200 400 410 420 430 440 450 460 470 480")

You also got NEJ2, which is expert while the batch installs NEJ2v68 in a recommended environment.
(%IFNS%NeJ2v691.exe Call %INST% NeJ2v68 "0 1 3 5 6 7 8 10")

Chaos Knight also gets installed in any case.
(Call %INST% ChaosKnight "0")

Tutu also.
(Call %INST% TutuGUI "0")

The SCSII thing might be this:
findstr /I /M "Tactics.TP2~.*#.*#16 Tactics.TP2~.*#.*#25 Tactics.TP2~.*#.*#34" WeiDU.log
if %errorlevel%==0 (
%IFS%scsII.exe %TXT% | findstr @328 | %C% >> %E%
) else (
%NNS% Call %INST% scsII "7032"
)

That searches for the tactics-mod, and if that's not found, it looks for AI settings and then calls the third highest without other pre-checks.
From reading the Select.txt, I'd say Ive chosen that, too.

I won't get into it further since I'd test something out if I have some time to spare, but I guess you see the difficulty between the selections and also my trouble since I have not played a BWP-game for more than 120 minutes -- and you can remove 30-40 minutes of building a character and maybe another 10 minutes of standing in the wilderness while listening to BG1NPC-music and trying to figure out if the title was popular or composed.

Please also note that I'm running around with the suggestion to rate mods like: action/fights/banter/fun/NPC-quality/stories or something similar since I myself would like to have some sort of system but there's a lack of response and also people don't like the idea of giving points since that would be rather subjective.

I also want to note that Leonardos choices may not be bulletproof or sometimes may not be translated into code / variables as he intended them to be.

Edited by dabus, 17 August 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#799 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

"Banter packs - Green - Soa Banter accelerator not checked." - Intended. By default, BG1NPC already installs this earlier.

"Turnabout - Colour coded in orange, checkmarks are in green?" - It is an addon to the well known tactics mod Ascension. However, it does not serve to make it harder. It serves to make it easier. I guess some confusion caused this to be in orange because of this.

"Improved animations base - Svirneblin animations - Green - Not checked." - Intended. Already installed by Aurora by default.

"Widescreen mod - Blue - not checked - HIghly recommended!" - In my opinion, this is fine as is. Not all users want to change the resolution. Maybe they have a 4:3 screen or have technical limitations. Also, this can make some older mods look funny in cutscenes, where a low resolution was expected, and characters that are supposed to enter soon just stands around "outside the screen" only now you can see them :P looks terrible. The BWS asks at the end of installation if the user wants a custom resolution, and activates it as appropriate anyway.

#800 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Just wondering, how is it going on the english translations that were being done for Ascalons Questpack & Breagar? Or maybe, where can I find info on this? Or do the BWS install english text for these mods already?

Hi and hello.

Well, the guy who is supposed to take care about them it's me ;) LOL

And Dabus is right, I've experienced several job troubles which led to some delays.

However there are some news.

Ascalons Questpack: I already submitted english tra files to Gunnar (in June).

Ascalons Breagar: more or less nearly done - one tra file missing.

Jarls' BGT Adventure Pack: done, actually under proofread by Xicloing.