Photo

BiG World Setup Beta-Testing

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#681 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Small bugreport:
BWS installs wrong components for "Ajantis BG1 Expansion" (BG1 mod) and "Ajantis NPC for SoA" (BG2 mod)

It's harmless in the sense that it only regards portraits :) but still, needs fixing. In the BWS I pick that it should keep Ajantis vanilla portrait (default option) for both these mods but BWS installs another portrait for BG1 and also (a different) another portrait for BG2.

Maybe the components got expanded/mixed up in some update of the mod(s) and the BWS need to cope with that?

Small request:
To prevent issues like the above, couldn't the BWS compare the name of the installed component to the component name in BWS, and then stop on a mismatch?

If this is possible, then one can be sure that even if the mod updated (and re-arranged it's components), and the BWS installed the wrong components because of this and possibly wrecked the install, that you at least will know about this, and can fix it, before the next install.

It's almost essential to have such a protection because otherwise it can take a while for the effects of such a thing to show in the game. As in Ajantis case, I didn't notice until I first met him. And it's quite hard to doublecheck everything after a BWS install finishes. Now, it was just a portrait, but obviously it could have been much worse.

#682 farmerjohn

farmerjohn
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Thanks, now I am running into some install.bat issues. I think that this is because I did not turn off UAC and instead just hit "OK". I have noticed that it says, "applying tweak pack to XYZ" and every time I restart that file name changes to the next one in the alphabet. I am worried that if I fix this issue by disabling UAC that it will skip over the first few files when it is applying the patch. I am not sure if I have to redo the entire install at this point.

Edit: I think I fixed them. I ran Trimpack, fixpack and install pack from an administrative command line. I was able to boot into the game and clearly things have changed. My res is higher, the initial UI is different and I have more class options. I think it worked though I will have to test it out further later this week. Thank you for this great software.

Edited by farmerjohn, 07 May 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#683 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to use this installer (latest 4-22 version), but it always seems to stop at some point.
I'm using Windows XP SP3, a clean GoG install of BG2/ToB and did everything on the check-list in the installer (starting game, making a save, etc).

I've tried a 'tactical' install and later a 'minimal' install, but the problem doesn't seem to be with a particular mod.
The part it hangs up is here (click to enlarge):

Posted Image

As you can see the progress bar is completely filled, there are no active prompts open and both the resume and pause buttons are inactive.
The install doesn't advance beyond this point, and pressing Exit doesn't do anything either, the only way to quit is to manually close AutoIt.exe in the task manager.
I suspect it has something to do with the 7z unzip program, as you can see it gives errors during the extracting, even though the files seem to extract properly.

Please help, I've wasted several hours on this already. :(

#684 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

try extracting that particular mod manually. It should notice that it has already been extracted when you restart the installer... its not a solution just a possible work around....

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#685 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Ah, I don't think it's that particular mod that causes the problem, because every single mod gives the error "The following command failed to extract an archive:".
The mods do seem to extract properly nevertheless, and I can run the individual setup-xxx.exe without problems.

I've tried at least 5 different types of install (standard/minimal/tactical etc) and with the least amount of mods possible, it seems to be an issue with
the 7z program.
If I force-close the installer and then restart it choosing "continue installation", all it shows is a blank progress box with nothing going on.

#686 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Did you have your own copy of 7z installed and properly working before trying the BWS beta?

Might be possible that the 7z program is needing something else that isn't on your system if you didn't have it prior. could be something as simple as directory structure too.
I did mine with the following tree:
H:\games\bwp - has the bws .vbs files
H:\games\bwp\big world setup - has the rest of the bws files
H:\games\bwp\baldur's gate - copy of my clean original install
H:\games\bwp\big world downloads - were all the downloaded mods go
H:\games\bwp\bwp-*** -where *** is a description of the specific setup of the modified BG2 (cloned install using the built in clone tool)

looks to me like you are trying to extract from one directory to a higher level directory rather than as I did into a same level directory. I know that shouldn't be a problem, but who knows... at this point it's worth a shot right?

My working mods:

#687 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I had 7z yes, I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling and using more recent version, also tried copying that version into the BWS tools folder, all to no avail.

I tried installing it in the original c:\Program Files\BGII - SoA folder the first time, later I uninstalled and deleted the whole thing and did a clean install, and used the setup you see in the screen above.
And I just tried what you suggested, but still stuck on the same issue.

Just gonna give up for now, since I've waste way too much time on this. Perhaps someone will come with a solution later and it turns out I was overlooking something really simple.
Thanks for the effort though, I appreciate it.

#688 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

If you still have the BiG World Setup\Logs\BiG World Extract Debug.txt, I'd be interested if it contains some additional info.
There should be either a line like Process-Error: STDStream does not exist or ProcessWait-Error: XZY or STDInWrite-Error:XZY.
I had that error occasionally (lets say 5-10 times in 4 years) and I wasn't able to reproduce it since adding the additional logging.

Basically the BWS starts a hidden cmd, writes the commands in its stdin and gets its stdout-stream.
That could fail if COMSPEC is not defined (try echo %COMSPEC% in a cmd). If it fails, add it to your system variables... guess this is [url=http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2276483/what-should-comspec-and-path-environmental-variables-be-to-locate-the-command-in]a good example[/url}.

The other problem would be heavy system load, so the response-timeout kicks in. Or a failure to write the command or something beyond my knowledge. If you made it this far, you could try to use the BiG World Install.bat and see if many mods are missing and use that batch for the installation.
If mods are not present, you could use a batch to extract the files (see BiG World Installpack\Additional Tools).
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#689 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Just a simple remark : it seems to happen when extracting, so, he already pass the download step without this kind of error ?
If it's true, I guess this could eliminate the COMSPEC error...

Just my cents (I can't help further).

#690 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

The download is not shown in the "console"-tab by capturing a cmd and the wget-program is started directly. So you may pass that step (if I'm not wrong).

#691 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Small bugreport:
BWS installs wrong components for "Ajantis BG1 Expansion" (BG1 mod) and "Ajantis NPC for SoA" (BG2 mod)

It's harmless in the sense that it only regards portraits :) but still, needs fixing. In the BWS I pick that it should keep Ajantis vanilla portrait (default option) for both these mods but BWS installs another portrait for BG1 and also (a different) another portrait for BG2.

Maybe the components got expanded/mixed up in some update of the mod(s) and the BWS need to cope with that?

Small request:
To prevent issues like the above, couldn't the BWS compare the name of the installed component to the component name in BWS, and then stop on a mismatch?

If this is possible, then one can be sure that even if the mod updated (and re-arranged it's components), and the BWS installed the wrong components because of this and possibly wrecked the install, that you at least will know about this, and can fix it, before the next install.

It's almost essential to have such a protection because otherwise it can take a while for the effects of such a thing to show in the game. As in Ajantis case, I didn't notice until I first met him. And it's quite hard to doublecheck everything after a BWS install finishes. Now, it was just a portrait, but obviously it could have been much worse.

Dabus, did you see this? :)

#692 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I can't know for certain - BWP/BWS is not my specialty - but it appears that BWS fails to install Item Revisions.

Retired from modding.

#693 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

@Casper:
I did. Ajantis just got another few images.
And I did not recognize it since it since those are sub-components and WeiDUs --list-components does not print those.

So adding that test would fail if the modder uses subcomponents. Otherwise it would be possible...
You can look into the selection-screen, choose Manage components and select a mod that you have in your folder to see what's already present.

@GeN1e:
You could have a look at BiG World Setup\Logs\BiG World Extract Debug.txt.
All extractions are done by 7zip and are logged there.
I noticed a flaw in the coding that causes the BWS not to stop when it detected faults in that case.
I just got another bunch of stuff to do, so updating takes a while.

I also noticed that this is a new version, right?
Installing [Item Revisions by Demivrgvs] [V3 Beta 1.7]

The fixpack contains patches for

-VERSION ~V3 Beta 1.1~
+VERSION ~V3 Beta 1.6~

so they may cause some trouble... maybe someone can confirm that if (s)he wants to.

And also a small question: Why would people upload their stuff to mediafire if they host their mods at g3?
I don't see any benefit. (If uploading works...)

Edited by dabus, 09 May 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#694 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

And also a small question: Why would people upload their stuff to mediafire if they host their mods at g3?
I don't see any benefit. (If uploading works...)

I think because getting some things done is a rather slow process due to RL issues for the people with the powers. IR does a lot of intermediate changes between official versions so bothering the staff with minor updates is something they probably do not wish to do.

Same thing is true with the BG Fixpack. I've got that on my own website even tho it's intended to be hosted at G3. Tho it's not quite ready for G3's hosting, almost but not quite.

My working mods:

#695 -Perdido-

-Perdido-

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Okay, so I'm losing my mind here.

I was about 80% done of an install yesterday, but my computer crashed.

Did a re-install, and kept getting "The installation cannot continue without a current version of WeiDU. The attempt to replace the setup-allison.exe in the BG2-path failed. Please close all processes that may lock the file."

My understanding is that I need WeiDU.exe in the BG2 - SoA II folder and that it has to be the most recent one.

Only, I've done a complete un and re-install of all the games, a complete re-install of BWS, downloaded the most recent version of WeiDU (231, correct?) and I'm *still* getting this error.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

#696 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

The BWS tries to replace the Setup-allison.exe. So the problem is not a weidu.exe that was not found but the replacement of this mods setup.
So its suggestion is to close instances of setup-allison.exe in your taskmanager and so on. If you don't have the permission to alter the file and have to accelerate to the admin-user, you also got that error. So you could try to replace that file with a copy of Weidu\Weidu.exe and see what happens.
If you are able to replace the file, the BWS should just go on to the next one. If you get a "accelerate to the admin-user"-message, you could try to close your internet-connection and run the BWS as an admin.

#697 -Perdido-

-Perdido-

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

Okay, so I solved my problem.

For some reason, if my computer goes into Hibernate mode, BWS doesn't recognise my Admin account as being Admin any more and basically stops. Nothing short of a complete reboot of my computer will fix it (running Windows 7.) Right clicking to run as admin wasn't working (hence my frustration in my previous post) My computer had gone into hibernate mode each time (I was off doing other stuff while it ran.)

Don't know if this is a new issue or anything, but thought I'd share. .

#698 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

Dabus, 2 questions if I may :)

I'm in the progress of installing a new BWS, and I should start by saying that i rely heavily on "export/import from file" to save my components selection between the installs.

So first question: Now (suddenly), when I import my selection from the file I have created with BWS, it says that it "found new mods/components" and that they should be marked with [N] and that I should be able to search for them using search term [New] (with brackets). Well I have searched for [New], (New), [N], (N) etc and it does not work. It does not seem to search at all. At least nothing happens on the screen. How can I know what changed? I don't see any [N]'s either in the list, to be honest, but I just skimmed quickly.

Second question: Until you have updated the BWS to allow it, I wanted to manually remove the "Flirts" part of Edwins romance. However, in the BWS interface it seems to be impossible to manually remove the dependency. At least i can't find it. And I don't know where/which file of the BWS to manually edit either. Can you point me in the right direction for how to do this?

#699 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

So first question: Now (suddenly), when I import my selection from the file I have created with BWS, it says that it "found new mods/components" and that they should be marked with [N] and that I should be able to search for them using search term [New] (with brackets). Well I have searched for [New], (New), [N], (N) etc and it does not work. It does not seem to search at all. At least nothing happens on the screen. How can I know what changed? I don't see any [N]'s either in the list, to be honest, but I just skimmed quickly.

I've done similar with importing a previous weidu.log where I did things manually. If you look in the selection pane where all the mods are listed you should see [N] to the right side of all mods in the list not part of the imported selection. I did not actually try to search as with the limited selection of mods I manually did it was blatantly obvious which were new.

Second question: Until you have updated the BWS to allow it, I wanted to manually remove the "Flirts" part of Edwins romance. However, in the BWS interface it seems to be impossible to manually remove the dependency. At least i can't find it. And I don't know where/which file of the BWS to manually edit either. Can you point me in the right direction for how to do this?

I think what you want is in the setup.ini file found in the config directory of the BWS There is a work in progress FAQ that might explain a little about how to make the changes you want. It's located in the docs directory of the BWS
but i THINK under the connections section in the setup.ini you want to change this

Edwin dependancies=D:EDWINROMANCE(-)&EDWINTOB(-)&EDWINFLIRTS(-)

into this

Edwin dependancies=D:EDWINROMANCE(-)&EDWINTOB(-)|EDWINFLIRTS(-)

or this

Edwin dependancies=D:EDWINROMANCE(-)&EDWINTOB(-)

Not sure which to be honest. The first one changes the value from AND to OR but that might make it so that either Edwin Tob is installed or the flirts. The last one just drops it altogether. That might be the one you are looking for, tho it will allow the flirts to be installed without the others. I suppose you could try to adjust the dependencies by making an entry further down under the sub heading

; one mod/component need multiple others

and do something like

Edwin Flirts=D:EDWINFLIRTS(-)&EDWINROMANCE(-)&EDWINTOB(-)

So after my rambling you might want to try...
[Connections]
; all mods/components depend another
Edwin dependancies=D:EDWINROMANCE(-)&EDWINTOB(-)

and cross your fingers and hope it works LOL. at least I pointed you in the right direction and you can do trial and error till you get it just right.

My working mods:

#700 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

and do something like

Changing the order would have no effect if you use & because it translates to install a and b and c together, which is the same as install c and a and b together. If you change it to

Edwin Flirts=D:EDWINFLIRTS(-):EDWINROMANCE(-)&EDWINTOB(-)

, it would have the desired effect. The other one was correct.