Photo

BiG World Setup Beta-Testing

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#661 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

After reading this page so far to sum things up that are doable, I guess my suggestion to stop testing and ask another guy did sound way too harsh.
I do want to apologize for that.

You cannot know it (if you did not read the code) but the whole application uses an array that uses the number of the control in the selection screen.
So if you click somewhere, you know that this is mod X, item, 0, uses this and that, has some kind of connection with array-item N and so on.
This array is used to make the selection (sure), read dependencies and conflicts during test of the download- / extraction- / and installation-part.
AutoIt3 does not support tristate treeview-items so I had write my own logic to be able to click somewhere and return the expected value. That was a huge chunk of work and since I think I'm coding slow and test a lot, it cost me a lot of time. So I will not rewrite things that will break that array.
If you could hide things in a treeview, changing the GUI would be much easier, but I cannot find something like that.

I will have a look at the following parts:
  • Add code to use German DSotSC-fix
  • Add code to fix German BoneHill-translation
  • Adjust descriptions for Click-properties, when downloads failed, IA-extractions
  • Delete BG1NPCSoA Backup-file and create a folder.
  • Show output of wget for a download and check if the tool hung up (like not changing it's size for 60 seconds or something)
  • I'm not sure about the use VBS-info. I thought I added that somewhere.
  • Add a cleaned version of Leonardos pre-selections in case you want to stick with the defaults with less conflicts to boot.
  • Look at the extractions-tests (which should halt the BWS and behave similar to the download -> ask you if you want to extract a file with your default tool)
  • Fix ReadDebug so it does not crash the BWS (e.g. BPv180, Lost Crossroads Spell Pack for BG2)
  • I don't know about reading TRAs because I didn't have a look into autotra-options...
  • Add a option to create a list of download-URLs / run a program with them as a parameter before. So you can run that and skip the download-part.
  • Add a save/reload after you switch from install-view to theme-view in the selection.
  • igi's ProjectileRetrieval opens a few instances...

Things I'm not so sure about:
  • Add a checksum to known downloads.
  • Disable FastShare und Mediafire by default.
  • Sort conflicts/dependencies by mod and not by case.
  • Open a readme for igis mods and level1npcs.
  • Either remove the comment about using Cleanup or replacing the text.

May take some time to get it all done since I don't spent much time to code during the week and I've been busy in my garden/doing chores and so on.

@Casper: It seems like the translations for Ascalons Breagar and questpack need some proof-reading and polishing. Some things look like they are from machine-translations and do sound awkward.

Edited by dabus, 28 April 2012 - 08:48 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#662 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

@Casper: It seems like the translations for Ascalons Breagar and questpack need some proof-reading and polishing. Some things look like they are from machine-translations and do sound awkward.

I see what you mean. I had a look myself, after reading this, and I wouldn't want to play that in it's current state. Thanks very much for looking into it :)

I would also like to voice some thoughts about the new BWS. First, I love the simultaneous downloads. I have a 100mbit connection, and downloading the mods several at a time very much improves the overall download rate. Brilliant idea. Contrary to Sasha here, I haven't got a single corrupt download or anything of the sort either. In fact, this new BWS seems much more stable than the ones before it (when they were current). Everything extracts fine, everything downloads fine, everything installs fine and also the import/export to file features are much more reliable now (at least for me).

But I also have some quirks to report. I try to list them coherently here, and I will not list things you seem to have already put on your fixlist :) Hopefully the new BWS team can have a look sometime:

1. The BWS makes weird edits to Baldur.ini. I understand that it is supposed to add Logging On=1 and such. And it does. But in my case, it also modifies the various in-game volumes in weird ways, not only overriding my own settings, but setting them erroneously and adding a bad string. Here is what it looks like after BWS is run:
Spoiler
... as you can see, the volume for voices is duplicated (but one is missing the "s") and also, the values are max 100, but they are now set to 150. I cannot see a reason for this. And if there is, it's still annoying that it does not retain the users settings.

2. It is not possible to install Big Picture component: Level 50 rules. It errors out. Also, a bit suspiciously (but I wouldn't know), it says it conflicts with "True grandmastery" from the BG2 Tweakpack.

3. One cannot install Edwin Romance without installing "Edwin Romance Flirt pack". They go together, or none at all. I don't see a reason for this. What makes this a bother is that a quick look on the support forums of this (not maintained) mod, it seems (at a glance) that the flirt pack add on is causing lots of problems/bugs to the mod.

4. Odd/wrong mods in the "recommended" preset (the old one/Leonardos). Some mods from the Expert selection is included. Neverending journey, Chaosknight kit, for example.

5. The component "Gorf the Squisher Fix, by Gebhard Blucher" from UB for BG2 is not installed. It's skipped, despite no conflicts reported in the BWS. Intended behavior?

6. The mod, Garricks Infatuation (for BG1, I think), is installed suspiciously alike if someone thought it was a BG2 mod. First, it is installed (order-wise) along the other BG2 npc mods, instead of along the other BG1 npc mods. And second, it is mentioned in the latest Big World Project.pdf in the notes for BG1NPCSSoA (spelling?) (the mod that adds lots of BG1 npcs to BG2) that Garricks Infatuation would be incompatible with it, which kind of makes no sense if it is a mod for BG1 :)

7. The BWPFixpack reports plenty of hunks "FAILED". I know you said that you don't know much about this, but is it at least possible that you know if this is a bad thing or perfectly normal? Or maybe you could ask Leonardo otherwise? I mean, I understand well how the patches function, in that they look for a known bad string and if found, they replace things, otherwise they do not. What scares me is that it seems it "ignore" some things (seems fine to me) and "FAIL" others (seems more scary, but I wouldnt know).

And some other, not BWS related as such, but possibly good nonetheless info:
- Lost Crossroads SpellPack B6 (I asked about it before, so I figured I would report back after my own test) made my game very crash happy. It seems the game becomes very unstable when there are spells going off. Don't know if it is the bunch of mods, or just my computer, or some setting, or the mod itself but it is the result nonetheless. Seems it is "Expert" for a reason. I say this in case someone else asks. It would be no wonder, as it's a very impressive mod.

- Finch NPC (which is included in the new recommended package) is acting weird already at the beginning of the game in Candlekeep. She is supposed to "bump into you" I think, by herself, but she is stuck and says things like "my spell was interrupted" etc totally out of the blue and on her own. If talked too, all seems normal, and she dissapears (one meets her later in Beregost i think) but I didnt test this any more. She is easy to miss in Candlekeep when she is stuck, and if this leads to her not appearing later in the game, it would mean it was a waste to install her :) not good when she is the entire second half of the new recommended packs BG1 NPCs.

If I spot more oddities I will post them :) thanks dabus (and the BWS team) for taking the time :)

#663 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Forgot my Weidu.log:
Spoiler

And also forgot to post the "FAILs" I meant fron the Big World Fixpack... I just post the whole fixpack part of the log:
Spoiler

#664 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

- Finch NPC (which is included in the new recommended package) is acting weird already at the beginning of the game in Candlekeep. She is supposed to "bump into you" I think, by herself, but she is stuck and says things like "my spell was interrupted" etc totally out of the blue and on her own. If talked too, all seems normal, and she dissapears (one meets her later in Beregost i think) but I didnt test this any more. She is easy to miss in Candlekeep when she is stuck, and if this leads to her not appearing later in the game, it would mean it was a waste to install her :) not good when she is the entire second half of the new recommended packs BG1 NPCs.

that's odd. even in the setup where I ticked everything off and sorted thru the discrepancies etc... Finch had the correct dialog. She doesn't actually bump into your character. That's just written text. I don't know anything about "my spell was interrupted" tho. She's supposed to just stand there and wait for the PC to talk to her. If she's ignored in Candlekeep, she'll still be available in Beregost.

If you want, run a change-log on her files and let me know what's going on. I've been meaning to take a look at her files and 'fix her up' since I've known about several errors for a long time (reported on her forum at PPG). She was designed for Tutu and so it is totally possible that a BG2 mod affects her somehow...

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#665 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

3. One cannot install Edwin Romance without installing "Edwin Romance Flirt pack". They go together, or none at all. I don't see a reason for this. What makes this a bother is that a quick look on the support forums of this (not maintained) mod, it seems (at a glance) that the flirt pack add on is causing lots of problems/bugs to the mod.

The flirt pack has one (serious) confirmed bug in it, but it only affects the filrts themselves. You can go through the full romance without being inconvenienced by having installed the flirts.

#666 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

5. The component "Gorf the Squisher Fix, by Gebhard Blucher" from UB for BG2 is not installed. It's skipped, despite no conflicts reported in the BWS. Intended behavior?

That's because it's included in the BG2 Fixpack already.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#667 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

@Casper
1)
I added these values since Leonardo does the same as you can see in the BiG World Installpack\Ini_Settings.bat, which is translated to this:
Spoiler

Thought the values were used because they'd make sense. If not, I can remove them.

2) The BiG World Installpack\English\strings.txt but says:

@337BG2_Tweaks 2210 was skipped because TDD or BP component 14 Level-50 Ruleset
@337already exists.

3) Don't know about that. I think Leomar suggested we install all those components together. I can leave the flits out if they are not needed and just keep EDWINROMANCE and TOB.

4) There are 3 versions of Neverending journey lingering around and the 6.8 is listed as recommended in the batch; chaosknight is also recommended in the batch.
IF NOT EXIST Setup-NeJ2v691.exe Call "BiG World Installpack\Install.bat" NeJ2v68 "0 1 3 5 6 7 8 10"
Call "BiG World Installpack\Install.bat" ChaosKnight "0"
Fell free to discuss which mod should be in which version if you don't think that's fitting...

6) You selected a the Batch-install-view. So you get it like it's sorted / bundled / called in the BWP Installpack.
If you select the BWS-install-view, you see it as a BG1 NPC-related-mod. Also had it listed as BG2 because of that for some time.

7) Patching fails e.g. when mods get updated and the text that the patch searches for isn't any more. Maybe some sort of that was the cause for BPv180 not installing correctly (new mod + old patch -> possible new errors). If you want him to update his patches, ask him. I have not been involved in patches nor do I have more sources/ways than anyone in this forum to contact him.

Edited by dabus, 30 April 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#668 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

6. The mod, Garricks Infatuation (for BG1, I think), is installed suspiciously alike if someone thought it was a BG2 mod. First, it is installed (order-wise) along the other BG2 npc mods, instead of along the other BG1 npc mods. And second, it is mentioned in the latest Big World Project.pdf in the notes for BG1NPCSSoA (spelling?) (the mod that adds lots of BG1 npcs to BG2) that Garricks Infatuation would be incompatible with it, which kind of makes no sense if it is a mod for BG1 :)

It's a BG1 mod. Someone screwed up when categorizing the mods.

Edited by William Imm, 30 April 2012 - 08:13 AM.

At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#669 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

3) Don't know about that. I think Leomar suggested we install all those components together. I can leave the flits out if they are not needed and just keep EDWINROMANCE and TOB.

As a heads up, Edwin Romance will receive an update sometime soon-ish that will render the stand-alone ToB and flirts parts obsolete.

#670 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

William Imm
We (russian translation team) have made a special patch. It will corrects some critical errors in last Russian Textpack.
Patch is simple - it need to be extracted into Russian Textpack folder and overwrite files.
Is it possible to include our patch into BWS? Can I post it here?

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#671 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yes - please post here.

As for my BWS revival - I think I'm going to be shifting focus to making it the ultimate mod compatibility tool - still going to be the same functionally, but it won't be attached to the BiG World Project, meaning, I get more control over what I want to do with this, and what I consider a recommended mod selection.

Edited by William Imm, 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#672 -Casper-

-Casper-

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

@Sasha
Oh really? Finch is supposed to stand still? O_O I could have sworn she has walked up to me before (similar to Imoen) and said her lines about not watching where she was going. Oh well. It was so long ago. I'll believe you. And about the fact that she "speaks out of the blue" in her place, it seems to me that her party ai combat script is firing. She is trying to hide in shadows and such. Sure i'll changelog her later when I have more time :)

@Wisp
Ah, thanks for the info. My apologies then for assuming the mod was buggy and also not maintained. Then I proceed to play with the flirts installed.

@William
I see. I knew I had seen such a component somewhere else :)

@dabus
1. Okay thanks for that list. Now I know why the game kept pausing on me when I opened the map. I looked everywhere in the tobex ini for this. Never could have thought that the BWS itself would make such a change to the game without asking :P
Frankly, I have to say that I do not agree at all with doing such ini changes. I realize that some changes are necessary like enabling logging and such, but modifying volume levels (and wrongly too) and even adding a personal tweak such as the map pausing is way beyond what it should do. Unless of course, i'm missing something and those tweaks actually are needed for some mod...

2. I don't know what you mean here, but anyway, I do not care for the component as such, I just wanted to report that it fails to install. And it has nothing to do with True Grandmastery. It is not skipped it gets ERROR and the BWS aborts.

4. I don't know if you misunderstood me here :) what I meant was not if I see them as fitting or not, but rather that they have never been included in Leonardos Recommended/Green before, and thus I assumed they were included by misstake. They still have the Expert/Red color for example, and yet they are included in the Green preset. Strange, no?

6. This you definetly misunderstood :) It has nothing to do with how I sort it. I understand the different sort methods. It is about the fact that Garricks Infatuation is actually a BG1 mod, but the one who included it into BWP and set the order for it (Leonardo?) probably thought it was a BG2 mod, and thus it's order in the install is wrong. It should be installing among the BG1 NPC mods and not among the BG2 NPC mods as it is now (*much* later in the install than it probably should be). The mistake is evidenced by the fact that in BWP.pdf it's noted as incompatible with mods that add Garrick into BG2 but the mod in question does not add anything to BG2 in actuality. I don't know how much of a problem it is to install this mod way too late. Maybe it does not matter, but it seems to be a mistake nevertheless.

7. I was just worried off the messages "FAILED" in comparison to the more harmless-sounding "ignored". I ask in the fixpack thread instead then.

#673 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

@Sasha
Oh really? Finch is supposed to stand still? O_O I could have sworn she has walked up to me before (similar to Imoen) and said her lines about not watching where she was going. Oh well. It was so long ago. I'll believe you. And about the fact that she "speaks out of the blue" in her place, it seems to me that her party ai combat script is firing. She is trying to hide in shadows and such. Sure i'll changelog her later when I have more time

I've been looking at her tutu version. She uses a check for STATE_SLEEPING instead of the custom state CD_NOT_VALID that most other NPCs these days use to help indicate when is a good time to talk. Therefore she very well could be doing some of her banters, while her combat counter is 0 and other party member's combat counters are active.

Gavin is an example of an NPC who can on occasion have a talk when he isn't in range of the enemy but the other party members are. Yes it can be annoying.

My working mods:

#674 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

@Casper:

1 Ok, these new changes to the baldur.ini are listed as optional, so I can remove them as well.
The BWP-batch just does include them, so I thought about adding them as well.

2 The BWP-batch tells you this text if the mods are found and you want to install the other one.
So I took the report from the batch and included it into the BWS.

4 The batch was changed since it can install it's own recommended version now. Before that, you just left out mods that were considered as standard. Maybe that was a reason to change some mods version.

6 I don't know if the mod should be placed at the beginning of the install. I just kept it as it is.
You could also argue that some other mods don't fit the declaration of the "chapter" or step they are installed in.

Edited by dabus, 02 May 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#675 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Special patch for BWP Textpack Russian. It will corrects some critical errors in a last version of Russian Textpack.
Before running Russian Textpack - extract this patch into Russian Textpack folder and overwrite files. Then run Russian Textpack.

Attached Files

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#676 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Emm...
This might sound a little newbie of me, but can someone please put a link for the latest download?
I pressed several and I keep getting a messege that the download is unavailable or that the page could not be found... I can't test it and give you my finding if I can't download it :(

#677 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

This is the only link I know.
http://dabus.bplaced.net/BWP/bws.php

It works for me, tho I understand some people due to regions/countries or something like that have trouble.

My working mods:

#678 nimrod yanai

nimrod yanai
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Works like a charm :)
Thanx a lot! Will post if I find anything need fixing and stuff.

#679 farmerjohn

farmerjohn
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I just used this. The Auden mod didn't work because his Mediafire account has been suspended. A handful of other media fire mods seemed to not auto download, but I got them manually: Randomizer, Volcanic, Kariv, wikaede, item revisions. I will test later and let you know how it works.

#680 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

I just used this. The Auden mod didn't work because his Mediafire account has been suspended. A handful of other media fire mods seemed to not auto download, but I got them manually: Randomizer, Volcanic, Kariv, wikaede, item revisions. I will test later and let you know how it works.

yeah that's a known issue. dabus wasn't able to set Mediafire to auto-download due to some setup on Mediafire's end. hence it should stop and give you the chance to try to download it manually.

My working mods: