Photo

BiG World Setup Beta-Testing

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#621 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have been getting Forbidden messages when I try to visit baldurs-gate.eu pages. I think this is because I live in South Korea. Is there any way around this? I have tried several proxies already but they get identified and banned with lots of big scary red words. baldurs-gate.eu is being extremely rude by not accepting my http requests and quite frankly I am offended.
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#622 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

That's because of the spam filter on the site. For some reason, it hates Italians as well as Koreans.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#623 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

@Usurper
If you're using Firefox or one of its 64bit optimized counterparts - Pale Moon or Waterfox - try using the Stealthy plugin.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#624 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Tim told me they want to try to make that SpamStopper obsolete. That may take some time.
In the meantime, try to use this site and bear with my lack of html/php-skill. ;)

Edited by dabus, 21 April 2012 - 01:23 PM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#625 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Tim told me they want to try to make that SpamStopper obsolete. That may take some time.
In the meantime, try to use this site and bear with my lack of html/php-skill. ;)

Heh, that also gives me a 403 forbidden message.

@Usurper
If you're using Firefox or one of its 64bit optimized counterparts - Pale Moon or Waterfox - try using the Stealthy plugin.

10th

But I found a Stealthy plugin for Chrome and it allows me to access the site! Thank you for your excellent suggestion.

Edited by Usurper, 21 April 2012 - 07:25 PM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#626 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Using the version linked here:

1) it is better than trying to work with the batch files directly
2) bg1ub is listed at version 12. version 13 has been out for a while (is the version noted in the BiG World Installpack batch file) and v14 is already in the works. There may be others but this is the only one that stood out so far.

-- instructions on how to update existing mods listed in the setup would be nice.
-- instructions on how to add in mods not listed would be nice too (useful for personal mods or for testing out new mods within specific builds)

oh it reported that Item Revisions and the Tutu Gui mod couldn't be downloaded. I had to manually stop the Tutu Gui mod. It froze during the download.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#627 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

@Usurper
bplaced also failed? Then what's a file-hoster you'd be normally able to access? Just curious.

@Sasha Al'Therin
BG1UB is updated in the update-package that the BWS tries to fetch for mod names, missing links and version-info.
That's hosted on the KB-site, too. That's why I stated that I'd try to update the download-file once a week because you won't be able to fetch it if you download it from the bplaced-site.

You can read the docs\FAQ for info about updates. It's marked as outdated but the part that needs a little update is just about the config\select.txt which contains the info about the installation-order. It's changed from prn to csv-format, but I'll guess it's pretty obvious what you'd have to do there. The config\mod.ini is not changed so updates of URLs in that file are still valid. I wouldn't advice to use the internal GUI to configure mods since it may need a bit of attention, too

Adding those mods is a bit of a hassle if you want to add them completely because you need a more information than in the batch-file.
If you know where to put them, adding a pause before an install or jut pressing the pause-button during an install may be as efficient.

Item Revisions is placed on a file-hoster that you need to access, click on a flash-based site and then the download starts. I cannot provide that. Ask the guys why they'd place their mods at that hoster when their files were hosted at g3. When the download is finished, the testing starts and tells you about missing mods. You then have the chance to provide the file by trying to open the download-URL in your browser or selecting a local (saved) file.

Do you have the Logs\BiG World Download Debug.txt? Can you look for TUTUGUI and tell me about the download-messages? They may be a bit scattered because the parallel downloads. It would look similar like this:

TUTUGUI[]= TutuGUIv18.zip = 27559036
<= NA
Fetching TutuGUIv18.zip

#628 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Adding those mods is a bit of a hassle if you want to add them completely because you need a more information than in the batch-file.
If you know where to put them, adding a pause before an install or jut pressing the pause-button during an install may be as efficient.

problem with that is the display order to modify the pre-selected list of mods differs from the actual install order. Thus the installation process pauses at the wrong point and if the mod being done by hand REQUIRES a certain mod that should be there but isn't yet, then there is a problem. Pausing manually is difficult as some mods install quickly.

Do you have the Logs\BiG World Download Debug.txt? Can you look for TUTUGUI and tell me about the download-messages?

Here you go, every mention in the file in order.

TutuGui[]= TutuGUIv18.zip = 27559036
<= NA
Fetching TutuGUIv18.zip

--2012-04-21 22:17:31-- http://mods.pocketpl.../TutuGUIv18.zip
Resolving mods.pocketplane.net (mods.pocketplane.net)... 209.170.159.99
Connecting to mods.pocketplane.net (mods.pocketplane.net)|209.170.159.99|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 27559036 (26M) [application/zip]
Saving to: `H:/Games/BWP/BiG World Downloads/TutuGUIv18.zip'

0K ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ 11% 707K 34s
3072K ........ ........ .

Archive TutuGUIv18.zip could not be found at http://mods.pocketpl...TutuGUIv18.zip.

The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

Item Revisions: The Mod itself (Item Revisions V3 Beta 1.1.rar)
LadeJarl's Tutu GUI: The Mod itself (TutuGUIv18.zip)

Can't remember which setup I had pre-selected prior to adding in the mods I knew I wanted that weren't selected. But at any rate, I personally don't choose any BP stuff but some of it was preselected. when it came time to install those, they could not be installed because of errors. Looking at the debug file those components require the modifications to the various IDS files, something that after looking in the correct tp2 takes place in the main component which wasn't pre-selected for install.

When all finished installing, clicking on the Open Debug button results in an error

Windows cannot find 'H:\Games\BWP\BiG World Setup\Logs\BiG World Install Debug.txt'.
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

This is due to the file already having been moved into a dated folder. In my case Bak-201204221006. The button should be disabled or point to the most recent version stored in the most recent directory created by the program. Else pop up a text window that explains where the finalized debug text is located.

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 22 April 2012 - 06:20 AM.

My working mods:

#629 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Remember: A patchfile that is empty does not patch a thing. So if you put files into a "fix for the fix"-archive and extract it with an overwrite-option, dsotsc-files would be overwritten with empty files and the patching would stop. You could also use some other methods to do that like another batch or whatever.

BWP Fixpack and new DSotSC. You right. Patch was not applied. 26 of 26 hungs ignored.
But there is also a simple copy. And still 3 old files from Fixpack overwrites 3 new DSotSC files.

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#630 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

@Sasha Al'Therin

Sorting:
If you want to see the install order, click options > view > sort like the pdf.

Thats's odd.
The file is searched and the size and name are fetched from the http-query.
The download started, it fetches some megabytes and then it's either killed,stopped or whatever.
Then the download is not found... maybe you ran into a server-backup or something like that?
I also had that issue when my firewall went a bit nuts a few days ago.

BP-dependencies:
If you still have the setup-bpv180.debug. could you post it or the error-output?
I had a look into the tp2 and it's likely that it was either 3, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 that needed the AI (0).
That's Wand of Orcus Add-In, Improved Demogorgon, Improved Gromnir, Improved Illasera, Improved Yaga-Shura or BPSeries.

If you look at the Config\User.ini, you should see a section [Save]. Those are the components that were meant to be install during your last selection.
You could also look at the Logs\BiG World Install Debug.txt or BiG World Upload Debug.txt and look for the string was not installed due to errors.
That's written into the log when something fails to install.

Doesn't help you now, but I'll add that dependency to the connections.

@prowler:
So you know someone who's willing to fix that? Maybe you should open a new topic for that or post in the fixes for fixpack-thread.

Edited by dabus, 22 April 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#631 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

If you still have the setup-bpv180.debug. could you post it or the error-output?

you asked for it LOL
Spoiler

If you look at the Config\User.ini, you should see a section [Save]. Those are the components that were meant to be install during your last selection.
You could also look at the Logs\BiG World Install Debug.txt or BiG World Upload Debug.txt and look for the string was not installed due to errors.
That's written into the log when something fails to install

yes but i was refering to whether I'd chosen Mega-mod, Mega-mod plus, etc... As is there is nothing to state in any files after having left the selection screen to indicate which base selections was used as the starting point. At least nothing that I could notice.

In the end, I think the best thing is to rather than having fixed and predefined setups is to keep the tool up to date with mod versions and conflicts between mods/components. Let the user pick exactly what they want, if one needs another then flag it and let them decide how to resolve it.

If the tool could be designed to look into the BG2 directory and read any existing (thinking of unknown mods) setup-modname files and ask the user where in the install order they should go, that I think would be a beneficial tool to the program.

My working mods:

#632 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

You can see on top of the file that the selection was 15 16 17 18 19 20.
15 and 16 are installed, 17, 18, 19, 20 are left out because it needs the core-AI-component 0. So everything is fine.
You can delete the spoiler if you want to.

I could save the pre-selection, but since you can change almost everything, it does not really make sense.
The selection was made with the BWS and test-installs did not include the dependency with the improved AI.
The creator of the pre-selections didn't know about the dependency either and there you got your error.
But that's why we call it a beta and you are our testers. ;)

Those dependencies that are in batch, some of those read out of the TP2s and a bunch of those listed in the PDF should be in the BWS.
Well, there's a huge amount of them in there and I also didn't want to spend hours checking things all over again.
That should be done by a web-frontend by the community at the Kerzenburg. Don't know how long it'll take, but lets stay positive.

By the way: The pre-selections from the Kerzenburg are cut down - Leonardos selection is much more massive.

Regarding the inclusion of unknown mods -- how about I don't want to?
As said, from the GUI you can sort like the PDF / Installation order, look for a component that's installed and make a pause in front of it the selection screen. Then you can do what you want and press continue if you're done.
If you don't want that, add a CMD-line with your mods setup to the Config\Select.txt and it will be running where you want it to be executed.
I just don't see the be great benefit.

#633 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

maybe then change the text from "sort like the PDF" to "sort in install order"
I had no clue that sorting like the PDF = installation

here is the text regarding the description for "sort like the PDF"

Sort like the PDF:
Currently you can use a treeview to select mod types like npcs, quests or tweaks and access the related mods and components underneath. If you'd prefer to select your mods by going through the PDF guide and tweak the list to your liking, activate this option to get a chronological view, showing the mods and the content that can be installed then.

chronological view might imply that it is installation order but it should be stated more clearly. Especially if the intent is to have anyone be able to use it.

Another thing is that default view is in the tree view with mods/components separated by type. Default should be the install order or PDF order as you call it.

Regarding the inclusion of unknown mods -- how about I don't want to?

your tool, your choice. but rather limited. It screams do it my way or no way (which is the same feeling I get from the BiG World batch files too). It also says that newly released mods won't ever be accepted into the tool unless you decide to update it. At the very least, rather than having scattered files to be modified by the player to add in a new mod, provide a GUI method of doing so. It would also make it easier for another to step in (if necessary) and keep the program updated as new mods develop and existing mods get updated.

I still think a tool of some sort would be useful to mod authors, as they develop their list of incompatibilities, dependencies, etc. They could run a tool that would create a rule set that could then be read by this BWP setup tool and it be adapted into the installation process whether or not the mod is listed in the BWP tool.

Think about it, if mod authors and maintainers were to use such a tool (whose output could be read by this BWP setup tool & by Weidu if necessary) there would be no need to actually update the setup tool every time a mod gets updated. The mod authors/maintainers would already be doing that. You'd only have to update if any changes were needed to the positioning of no longer supported mods.

My working mods:

#634 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

clicking the option to view as PDF does not result in a build that matches the PDF file.
What it shows are the BiG World stuff followed by patch &amp; hotfixes followed by big BG1 mods, BG1 quest mods, BG1 npc &amp; related, BG1 tactics/rules/tweaks
then after all that is BGT

If that is supposed to be install order it is way off. In fact switching between the two there is no change. the 'tree view' and the 'pdf view' are identical except that the tree view has headings to indicate the types of mods/components found within

Using the update option at program start worked without error
Using the update option during the program after testing for presence of any existing mods etc produces an error

Line 353 (File "H:\Games\BWP\BiG World Setup\Includes\16_Select-Tree.au3"):

$g_CentralArray[$g_TreeviewItem[$cs][$cc]][8] = $Setup[$s][5]
^ ERROR

Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

pressing Ok exits the program

Item Revisions is placed on a file-hoster that you need to access, click on a flash-based site and then the download starts. I cannot provide that. Ask the guys why they'd place their mods at that hoster when their files were hosted at g3

The files are still at G3

http://forums.gibber...oads&showcat=49

all 3 of 'em OSX, Linux & Windows

Actually if you choose the option to try downloading the file manually or something it directs you to MediaFire where you can download the file without any passwords. I guess it just needs to be an interactive download rather than an automatic one. http://www.mediafire...3icn60z5062wexe The one at G3 is v2 while the one at mediafire is v3.

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 22 April 2012 - 02:26 PM.

My working mods:

#635 -Vinterskugge-

-Vinterskugge-

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Ascalons Breagar v6.08 does include english tra files.

'though it needs patching to tp2 setup file.

'snippet from v6.08 tp2 setup
VERSION ~6.07~

AUTO_TRA ~ACBre/TRA/%s~

LANGUAGE ~Deutsch~ ~german~ ~ACBre/TRA/german/setup-ACBre.tra~
' snippet end

Breagar-6.08.zip\ACBre\tra\english\ <- english tra files

#636 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

@Sasha Al'Therin:
I think that adding mods to a database that's maintained by some sort of "community" still is needed even if I build such a tool.
You still got a bunch of old mods that are not developed anymore and modders cannot test if things work out if they add another 450 mods or so.
I'd just guess that it's too much work for them.

Since the guys at Kerzenburg came up with the idea of a web-frontend, I hope that I can stop configuring the BWS.
Also building something that's creating some local strings still needs a way to get published and if the system is not good/easy enough, I'd guess people would just kick it and leave it alone.
I lack the coding-skill and the knowledge about web and databases so I'm not confident enough to realize that.

Same goes to your idea of adding mods if you think about adding them during runtime (as I did understand). The process to get things working like they are now was a long one and the way that AutoIt3 handles new controls keeps me from adding stuff here and there since it would blow up the logic behind it. So I'd guess I'd spent a lot of time and botch the hole thing in the process.

Adding a GUI to add new items and then rebuild the selection-screen would be possible but I still doubt the benefit.
I had built some GUI-tabs to administrate dependencies, mods and components. I also once thought about a GUI to do the sorting and adding/deleting stuff into the installation order, but I can't recall any feedback about those GUIs. So I had in mind that those tools would be mostly for me alone, it wouldn't be able to do much more than I can do with an editor and those files would still be on one computer and if you want to update files as a team,you'd still need some type of mechanism to exchange them. So in the end I decided for me that I should save the time and rather break the GUI and add more functions (like better conflict- and dependency-management) or fix some bugs (like the PDF-stuff).
If there's a web-frontend, a local GUI it would be even less useful or not needed in most cases.

Adding a command that is only shown like the pause with a little input-box where you just say: I want that mod to be executed before would be quite easy. It could add a cmd-line that just executes the mods setup and waits for it to finish (so you'd have to type in your selection during runtime. Or the install-instructions like setup-mod.exe --skip-at-view --language 4 --force-install-list 0 10 20 could be generated.

To sum it up: I'm fine if the thing is limited and just does what I wanted to come up with and that's getting some sort of BiG World-install on a computer.

By the way: If anyone thinks that (s)he wants to do a fork of the code, I'm fine with that. It's GPLed so you can do that if you want. Didn't happen so far, but I just wanted to say it. Thing is that it's written in AutoIt3 and that does not help since it does not seem to be as popular around here.

Mediafire has this flash-button-click that I cannot emulate (or at least I lack the knowledge). So Mediafire-downloads always fail and have to be done manually.

I hope I've recognized your suggestions as intended and covered them.

Edited by dabus, 23 April 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#637 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

what about viewing in install order? I know you said that the PDF order was the same as install order. So when I went back and tried that on a new install all it did was remove the section headings from the tree view. listed mods did not change their position. I said as much and more in one of the earlier posts, but there was a lot of different things and so easily overlooked I suppose.

On the whole the tool after lots of reading of mod readmes etc does make the installation process easier. Tho whenever you select a base package it constantly warns you about choosing things that are out of it's selected style whenever you wish to add something. I'd think one warning would be sufficient. I did try to build a install from a previous weidu.log were I had made a manual install of things. It read it fine, tho I did have mods that weren't on the list and so it spat out errors about that and that I'd have to do them manually etc. Perhaps in that case the tool can throw in an auto-pause between a known and unknown mod, seeing as there is already an existing list being read from.

To be honest due to the every changing nature of mods, it will be impossible to maintain an up-to-date tool. Perhaps the best thing is to store a selection of mods to choose from, work out the kinks between them and offer those to be chosen in an automated tool. It is still limited but would have the benefit of being as bug free as possible. Then sometime after mods are updated, do it again and update the whole process. In fact I thought that was what was happening here. BWS had been surpassed by enough mods that it was time to update the whole process. But since the tool had all this flexibility, I was hoping there were plans for even more flexibility.

My working mods:

#638 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

By the way: If anyone thinks that (s)he wants to do a fork of the code, I'm fine with that. It's GPLed so you can do that if you want. Didn't happen so far, but I just wanted to say it. Thing is that it's written in AutoIt3 and that does not help since it does not seem to be as popular around here.

I am intrested in forking your code, mostly for my BiG World Project setup. Even through it's a complete port over to Java, having the origional AutoIt3 code on hand will help me with making a new BWS.

Mediafire has this flash-button-click that I cannot emulate (or at least I lack the knowledge). So Mediafire-downloads always fail and have to be done manually.

My solution would be to 1) ask for permission to mirror the download on the linklist, and if that doesn't work 2) recognize MediaFire links and pop up a browser window for the download link.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#639 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

@Sasha Al'Therin
Uhm, maybe I misread that but do you use 20120422 or the older 20120414?
I fixed the issue with the sorting and changed the text with the last one.

If I remind correctly (don't have the tool here), there are three options when the popup about the other version comes up. Add, not to add, add every time. So you choose to add it every time and get the warning at the bottom.
If you don't want that, there should be a menu-entry in the option-menu. Click-behaviour or something. That's maybe set to recommended. If set this and click standard or above, you get the warning. Setting it to standard will only report tactic and above and so on. I though I described that in the right help-panel. (Maybe it's not clear enough...)

The problem is that some modders don't want to keep old versions on the net because old errors might pop up in the forums. You also need guys with knowledge about fixing and the mods behaviours and such.
The guy that did that a few years ago for the BWP left for personal reasons and he stated that there are too many mods but Leonardo does want the BWP to be "all you can eat".

All in all you can say that adding configuration-tools would be possible but as said, the low response about them and the lack of guys wanting to maintain the BWS at all made it low priority for me thus far.

@William Imm
If you didn't try: Au3-files are just text-files that are interpreted by AutoIt3. It's a basic-like language and I added pretty much explanations to all things that are a bit non-standard.
I don't mind if you use any part of it if it's useful to you.

Adjusting the download-message may be useful.

Edited by dabus, 24 April 2012 - 03:17 AM.

#640 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

I used whatever you last posted in trying to help Usurper get access to the tool.

I have 2 download versions and I'm not sure which one is actually being used. There is no "About" feature to indicate version number when it is ran.
I have
bws_9-20110501.exe
bws_20120414.exe

I downloaded the file on the 21st and I've not seen mention that the program was updated. Had I known that...

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 24 April 2012 - 03:02 AM.

My working mods: