Photo

BiG World Setup Beta-Testing

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#441 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

So it went through this time. That's nice.

Well, I just thought that most people wouldn't know/need the buttons that are in the tools-section and since I'll remove some other not needed stuff, I'll put those in some other places.
I'll also remove the customize-checkbox in favor of a third button so maybe people will not miss the selection-dialog as often as they seem to do now. The GUI will not change that much though.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#442 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Since I want to make a new install I decided to finally use the new BWS Beta :) . And it looks amazing! Great work, Dabus! :cheers:

So, from the first moment I noticed something I didn't quite understand. The BWS said it should make some correction and then reboot the system. What's up with that? Also after the system rebooted and after I started the BWS it said it suffered a critical error and then started normally.

Also I notice that its still using the BWP 9.8 description, so when can you please update it so I can confidently use the program further?

Also can you somehow make the BWS somewhat of an open project, like the mods wiki, which is a great idea BTW. Or at least have more team members to update the mods in BWS when a new BWP version is launched, so you wouldn't need to be bothered all the time?

About that, where is Leomar? He hasn't been around for almost a year.

Edited by dreamer2007, 01 April 2011 - 03:13 AM.

#443 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

I'll see if I can provide an update this weekend.
There is no team for the BWS since Leomar left and I never intended to keep track of the mods. I have not heard of him since a few months ago.
My plan for the future would be to create an update-program just as it existed for the old link-list, which is replace with the new kind-of-shared list.

#444 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

I'll see if I can provide an update this weekend.

Great! :D

There is no team for the BWS since Leomar left and I never intended to keep track of the mods. I have not heard of him since a few months ago.

I am sorry to hear that he is gone on the German side too :( . Did he at least give an explanation? I really hope he will return.

My plan for the future would be to create an update-program just as it existed for the old link-list, which is replace with the new kind-of-shared list.

That sounds good, since I noticed that the wiki page gets updated really fast to the latest versions, this might be the optimal solution for the BWS.

Edited by dreamer2007, 01 April 2011 - 07:21 AM.

#445 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

Updating links is not enough since the BWS should also include languages, components and all that other stuff, so updating the BWS is more work than before. So you'll still have to have a peek at the new release.

Edit:
Update takes (hopefully only) one more day.

Edited by dabus, 03 April 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#446 shadowlich

shadowlich
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

What the hell? No more BWS team? I am very sorry for this; I really NEED their .pdf and I just wanted so much to show them my customizing tool :(

I didn't know the whole story but it seems that dabus is in charge now? => Maybe we should help each other?

My tool should provide another easy solution.
I thought to publish it when I have a current install sample, but I will publish it here tomorrow, because I need help....

As I said in another topic, it proposes:
- component customization
- language selection by component
- fix cutomization
- install order customization
- default language customization
- constraint customization
- syntaxic coloration
- batch preview
- template customization
- label customization
- Drag and Drop
- easy to share installation

I attached a screenshot here: http://shadowlich.free.fr/sample.jpg

Edited by shadowlich, 04 April 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#447 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Eh?

BWP is Leonardos BiG World Project = PDF + batch-tools
BWS is BiG World Setup = script to prepare for batch-tools or install.

Don't confuse BWS with BWP.
And I really don't want to lead anything because I'm not interested in the mod-internals.

By the way: If anyone wants to keep the configuration of the BWS up to date, that would be really cool because I didn't ever intended to do so in the first place and my interest is currently very low (it's been somewhat exhausting the last few weeks).

If you have a good solution, I also wouldn't mind stopping the maintenance and be your tool the "next one" either.

So, here's the latest update. It can prepare batch-installs and do the install itself.
(The main reason was that I don't want to update that "old standard" BWS anymore.)
Information also includes all the updates since 30th November.

Fixed:
  • Adjusted _Tree_Purge to prevent the installation of purged foreign mods.
  • Stupid miss while changing parameters.
  • Possible extraction of all mods into BG1-folder.
  • Removed dependency that might crash the BWS (thanks to Chevalier).
  • Possible crash due to scsII increasing number of components.
  • WeiDU.exe will be put into BG2-dir if it does not exist.
  • Skipping download will really skip the link-check and the download (test and fix will still be done).
  • Additonal check for missing downloads works again.
  • Don't use passive ftp (so downloads don't get stuck due to your firewall).
  • Automatic display of mods tips/data.
  • Removed double entry from BGTNEJ.
  • BG1TP looks for correct version.
  • Exiting component-screen when using [CTRL]+[Alt]+[c] now works as expected.
  • _Tra_GetVersion accepts quotation marks.
Added:
  • You can choose if you want to use the new category or the old pdf-like view.
  • Mods that are not adding text but aren't translated either are shown as [–].
  • Import your selection from a WeiDU.log.
  • Create Logs\BWS_Tracedump.txt before Debug.au3 tries to fix things to track down some unknown errors.
  • If downloads are missing and you redo the download-process, downloads that are ok will be skipped.
  • Fix for CTB-packaging.
  • Selection between batch/bws-installation.
  • Components are not show when installing batch-version.
  • Dis-/Enabled various GUI-options when using BWS/BWP installation.
  • If checks are ok, give batch the key-files it searches for.
  • Improved handling of BiG World Install.bat (use temp-files if necessary).
  • Added [Ctrl]+[E] hotkey in component screen to switch detected component descriptions to stored English description (useful for Korean, Japanese, Chinese or Russian if symbols cannot be displayed due to codepage).
Changed:
  • Slightly altered the methods to fetch filenames from http-headers to match forum-free.net.
  • Moved version number to the informations that are shown when clicking on a mod.
  • Access the mod-selection through the folder-page.
  • Moved some tests from the tools-page.
  • Ask for updates every time the BWS starts.
  • Updated help to fit new layout.
Removed:
  • Quickstart-mode.
  • Tools-page.

Please note that I did test the functions I worked on but didn't ran a whole test from start to finish. So I may have missed something on the way (hopefully not). And stay away from the update-button, I just had a little glitch. -_-

Edited by dabus, 05 April 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#448 dmxdex

dmxdex
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

The latest beta seems messed up. Its making me have to manually download the fixpack and beregost crash preventer along with loads of mods.

I though this should be automatic?

Edited by dmxdex, 04 April 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#449 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thank you for the update, Dabus! :cheers: I will start the customized install and tell you how it goes.

I really hope that you will find someone to update the BWS, so you could continue doing what you like, maybe bring out of Beta the really nice BWS :) . Maybe you should create a thread for that purpose, for example "BWS Update team needed", here and on the german forum, maybe some people would like to contribute and update it. And so you could create a new BWS update team.

Shadowlich, instead of creating another tool, can't you help Dabus improve BWS Beta? The purpose is the same, to give you options for customizing, downloading and unpacking.

Edited by dreamer2007, 04 April 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#450 shadowlich

shadowlich
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

BWP is Leonardos BiG World Project = PDF + batch-tools
BWS is BiG World Setup = script to prepare for batch-tools or install.

Don't confuse BWS with BWP.

Yeah, this was clear for me but I mean BWS(ETUP) has so many responsabilities, maybe it's time to turn it into 2 distinct tools: a downloading tool and an install tool?

If you have a good solution, I also wouldn't mind stopping the maintenance and be your tool the "next one" either

My tool is a customizing install tool not a downloading one, neverveless I could make one that use its dictionary files to extract language download link and do the stuff. I didn't know that there could have download location by language (as you can see in the .jpg I published, I didn't handle this), but it coul be done easily. So why not.

Fixed:

• Don't use passive ftp (so downloads don't get stuck due to your firewall).
  • Automatic display of mods tips/data.
  • Removed double entry from BGTNEJ.
  • BG1TP looks for correct version.
  • _Tra_GetVersion accepts quotation marks.
Added:
  • You can choose if you want to use the new category or the old pdf-like view.
  • Import your selection from a WeiDU.log.
  • Create Logs\BWS_Tracedump.txt before Debug.au3 tries to fix things to track down some unknown errors.
  • If checks are ok, give batch the key-files it searches for.
  • Improved handling of BiG World Install.bat (use temp-files if necessary).
Changed:

These are the points that I am not sure of to well understand if I make a download tool.

Shadowlich, instead of creating another tool, can't you help Dabus improve BWS?

The many topics I see about the last BWS release make me ... unconfortable :crying:

My tool lets the download part to BWS to fecth mods; but it seems unreliable now :(
    Anyway, I use --imho-- easy text file dictionaries that set the "contracts architecture"; so theorically anyone could read mods in repository, let the user select language and mods, start the download (if not up to date); then optionally unpack them.

I will give it a try; the longer part will be to fill the mod dictionaries, this is what I do since 2 weeks now...

#451 danemanuelk

danemanuelk
    • 133 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

:woot: yooo hooo somebody new in BWS team ... congrats shadowlich :cheers:

#452 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
    • 430 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Two things I don't understand so far. First I noticed there is an option to select Big World Install.bat (fixed and tested) or the BWS. What's the difference? I imagined that if I chose BWS, which I did, I would be allowed to customize my install, but I can't, and that's the second thing I don't understand, there is no option to customize my settings like the previous BWS, is it moved someplace else, at the end of the download maybe?

It then starts with the download and gets completely stuck apparently at Legions of Hell.

I had to close the BWS with task manager and then I noticed that many mods I have to download manually, why is that? Actually when I start downloading manually with the easy command d(ownload) it seems to not stop at the missing mods, it goes on to manually download all the mods, or so it seems.

Edited by dreamer2007, 04 April 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#453 dabus

dabus
    • 1982 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

Download: Give me some logs.

Split tool: I wouldn't do that. You need the info what to download and what to install. So you also need dependencies and thus a lot of similar information/code.

Next one: Would be cool. As said, I'd like to do some other stuff in my free time.

Release notes: Only the passive ftp-issue is related to downloads.

Download issue: I haven't changed much so it can only be a minor glitch.

Big World Install.bat: It does what's its name: Install by using the batch. So you can select if you want to run the batch to install the BiG World use the BWS.

Customize: Sure there is. Read the text (at the end), see the button and click it.

LoH: Seems to be a picky server.

#454 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
    • 430 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

Oh you changed the further customization of your settings option... I didn't expect that.

#455 dabus

dabus
    • 1982 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:13 AM

Users can't complain about the checkbox now. Guess it'll be the button then. :D

Edited by dabus, 05 April 2011 - 02:13 AM.

#456 shadowlich

shadowlich
    • 102 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

Very good answer for the split point :Bow: => we need the custom build to avoid mass download!!!
    In the other hand we should be able to customize a build independently of download stuff, and be able to download without any build.

My point would be a tool (say ModDownloader.exe) that can be call within the customizer tool, whenever the user wishes. Force get a mod would be as simple as "Call.ModDownloader.Get(myMod)"; automatic downloading would be "ForeachModsInBuild.IfModNotUpToDate.Call.ModDownloader.Get(mod)"

This way, ModDownloader.exe layer is only aware of the download stuff (download link, saveAsName, upToDateSize) and could even be re-usable from command line "ModDownloader.exe -fromFile modsToDownload.txt" . => We get splitted tools and build context for downloading and making .bat and no merged responsibilities -- difficult to maintain tool. Ok, all of this is theory, practice is another thing...

Sorry for technical stuff but after BG2, I like programming :hug:

#457 dabus

dabus
    • 1982 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:26 AM

:blink: I don't think I can follow you until the excuse for the technical stuff. :D
    By the way: Is the coding platform portable? Some guys complained about being glued to windows.

#458 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
    • 430 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:19 AM

Just curious, is there a way to load the selection that you saved using save selection after you restart BWS?

Also, I noticed that once I clicked reload selection, big sections of mods were automatically unchecked.

And another thing, the BWS says it can't download a mod but its already downloaded and in the Big World Downloads folder. Here is what BWS says: The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

Food and Herbal: The Mod itself (Foodmod_v103.7z)

I am curious how unpacking works. When I first used BWS it downloaded automatically some mods, but then I restarted the BWS and customized the install, but those mods remained in the Big World Downloads. Those mods are skipped at unpacking when I select a new configuration?

18.34 I have an error at infinity animation core, and I can't seem to be able to repair it. I will try a reinstall and see how it goes.

18.37 Another problem, when I try to import the data from the previous selection I made in BWS, large mod sections are unselected and can't select them again. Trying a reinstall of the BWS to see if this goes away.

18.53 I started the fresh BWS again and chose this time the Big World install bat option to see the difference, and I noticed the components are organized differently, according to the manual, and when I clicked reload selection, BWS crashed the first time. The second time I clicked reload selection and everything got unselected.

19.03 Reverted back to the BWS option but I still can't use my previous selection. When I try to select the big categories they get unselected automatically.

19.47 I selected the mods and components again manually, and although I have the same Big World Downloads folder it reported that it can't find Food and Herbal again together with 2 other mods, and when I clicked retry the unpacking process started immediately. Confusing.

Edited by dreamer2007, 05 April 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#459 shadowlich

shadowlich
    • 102 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:55 AM

:blink: I don't think I can follow you until the excuse for the technical stuff. :D
    By the way: Is the coding platform portable? Some guys complained about being glued to windows.

Sorry, was thinking aloud.

Good news, I quickly tried the download module: it's unnecessary to pass the size as argument to check if a file has changed based on its size (the fewer arguments, the fewer code is error prone). So the download module is practically done, in C#:

var client = new WebClient(url);
    if (Convert.ToInt64(client.ResponseHeaders["Content-Length"] != mod.localSize)
    new WebClient.DownloadFileAsync(mod.url, mod.localName);

Yeah, it's theorically portable, have to install Mono on Linux for .NET 4.0 -- usually people under Linux are able to install Mono easily.
    It's a tradeoff: I could code in Linux/c++/QT or .NET, but time to market is increasing exponentially; and after one year with SC2 I want my Kensai/Thief Carsomyr holder back asap :)

#460 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
    • 430 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Install failed the second time at the same place. I uploaded the Big World Install Debug, Weidu log, and a picture of the error as shown on the BWS screen. Tell me what else should I upload and I will upload it if I can.

Attached Images

• error.png

Attached Files

Edited by dreamer2007, 05 April 2011 - 11:16 AM.