BiG World Setup Beta-Testing

• Please log in to reply
928 replies to this topic

#201 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

I'm using this version of BWSetup for the first time and I had to admit that it's a large step ahead in comparison with older BWSetup (which I used with v.6 of BWP or somesuch). However, there's a pair of questions I'd like to ask.

1. When BWSetup finishes autodownload of mods it provides me with the list of mods it was unable to download and let me to find those on my own. While that's good, skip option would be really helpful in the process, because currently if I can't find certain mod and decide I don't want it anyway I could only cancel whole process of manually adding mods, even if there's left dozen of mods I have and want to use. "Skip and remove from install list" would be of great help in this situation.

2. I know there should be option to export/import my customized mod selection somewhere, but I was unable to locate it. Help :)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#202 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

1.) Adding that would not be that hard.
Until then you could select to download the mod and don't do it. Or cancel the file-selection.

2.) Try the Options-menu in the component-selection-screen.
You don't really have to export your selection. Your selection is saved in the BiG World Setup\Config\User.ini, section [SAVE] and [DESAVE]. Those can be loaded for your next try. Just choose the reload from the menu the next time you want to get your old selection.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#203 dmxdex

dmxdex
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

Has anybody had any random crashes with the latest beta build 20100711 ?

Edited by dmxdex, 27 July 2010 - 05:08 PM.

#204 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

What are referring to?

The BWS itself during selection, download, extraction, installation?
The installed game itself?

You're pretty vague.

Edit: Seems like you mean the game itself...

Edited by dabus, 28 July 2010 - 02:46 AM.

#205 dmxdex

dmxdex
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:52 AM

What are referring to?

The BWS itself during selection, download, extraction, installation?
The installed game itself?

You're pretty vague.

Edit: Seems like you mean the game itself...

BWP is the game. If i was referring to BWP i would of said BWP. Its in game. I have had 2 random crashes i candlekeep when i have been walking around. My screen locks up and i have to crl+alt+del to get out. I then have a message saying BGmain has stopped responding. I had it once when i was walking around candlekeep and then when gorion was taking me out of the gates to his death. When i had one of the previous beta builds i suffered with no such crashes.

Edited by dmxdex, 28 July 2010 - 03:53 AM.

#206 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

You're pretty vague.

BWP is the game. If i was referring to BWP i would of said BWP. Its in game. I have had 2 random crashes i candlekeep when i have been walking around. My screen locks up and i have to crl+alt+del to get out. I then have a message saying BGmain has stopped responding. I had it once when i was walking around candlekeep and then when gorion was taking me out of the gates to his death. When i had one of the previous beta builds i suffered with no such crashes.

That's still really vague, and being pretty doesn't help anymore ... for teh anti-devils sake look at my signature... and what Miloch said.
More help? Look into here:

Symptom: Game freezes or crashes to desktop (CTDs)
Sometimes the game displays an "assertion error" in a pop-up window when this happens, but often times it doesn't. To enable the full error message, open the file baldur.ini in your game folder with a text editor (such as Notepad). If you find you can't edit it or save changes in Windows Vista, see this topic for assistance.

Under the [Program Options] section in the file, type Logging On=1 (unless it's already there). While you're there, you may also want to make sure Debug Mode=1 is there to enable the CLUA Console for debugging and testing. Save the file and exit. Now go back into the game and try to reproduce the crash. Then look in your game folder again for the Baldur.err file and open it with a text editor to analyze its contents.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#207 dmxdex

dmxdex
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

You're pretty vague.

That's still really vague, and being pretty doesn't help anymore ... for teh anti-devils sake look at my signature... and what Miloch said.
More help? Look into here:

Symptom: Game freezes or crashes to desktop (CTDs)
Sometimes the game displays an "assertion error" in a pop-up window when this happens, but often times it doesn't. To enable the full error message, open the file baldur.ini in your game folder with a text editor (such as Notepad). If you find you can't edit it or save changes in Windows Vista, see this topic for assistance.

Under the [Program Options] section in the file, type Logging On=1 (unless it's already there). While you're there, you may also want to make sure Debug Mode=1 is there to enable the CLUA Console for debugging and testing. Save the file and exit. Now go back into the game and try to reproduce the crash. Then look in your game folder again for the Baldur.err file and open it with a text editor to analyze its contents.

How am i trying to be pretty. I have gave you clear information about the crash and were. I am only asking for help. Not abuse. But thanks for that info jarno i will have a good look at it ;)

Edited by dmxdex, 28 July 2010 - 05:29 AM.

#208 -Iec-

-Iec-

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Just befire the silent NSIS extraction, the mod gave me no option to "Continue" the installation. I was shown a warning about any error boxes potentially showing up, but that was it. I could advance by hitting "Enter," but it wasn't a very intuitive solution given all the grayed-out boxes.

But after that, BWS stalled after indicating "TobEx_Beta0006.rar was extracted successfully." It seems like it should go on to the next mod, but it doesn't do so. I tried selecting Continue (bolded text changes from "Please wait..." to "0"), and Exit or Back ("Please wait..."), but it's still hanging. I'll come back and check on it in a few hours, but ye know.

Let me know if it's a known issue. Otherwise, well, I've reported it. :D

#209 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:44 AM

I don't know exactly what is going on:
There is a warning about NSIS

Starting the "silent" extraction of the NSIS-packages.

There will be message-boxes that ask you if you want to install several mods. They should disappear directly. If that's not happening, please press Enter or click "Yes" to continue...

The BWS gets minimized. Then a few boxes with "Do you want to install mod xyz" should appear.
After that's through,

Finished automatic process.
You can go ahead.

The BWS gets restored and then the installation goes on.

Which of those windows did show up?
Can you hove with your mouse over the BWS-icon in the systray (where the clock is placed) and tell me if there is a text displayed continuously?

To solve the problem itself, you can exit the BWS by right-clicking the icon in the systray and select exit. Then you can start the BWS again and resume the install.

#210 Iecerint

Iecerint
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I don't know exactly what is going on:
There is a warning about NSIS

Starting the "silent" extraction of the NSIS-packages.

There will be message-boxes that ask you if you want to install several mods. They should disappear directly. If that's not happening, please press Enter or click "Yes" to continue...

The BWS gets minimized. Then a few boxes with "Do you want to install mod xyz" should appear.
After that's through,

Finished automatic process.
You can go ahead.

The BWS gets restored and then the installation goes on.

Which of those windows did show up?

The first one showed up. However, it didn't minimize properly. Instead, it popped up and everything stopped for about 20 minutes, and there were no options to advance to the actual silent extraction. All the buttons on the pop-up, including the "Continue" button, which I assume the user ordinarily uses, were grayed out. I eventually hit like enter+spacebar+tab, and it went on, though. I just listed that bit because it was the only speedbump in the process of the installation.

Can you hover with your mouse over the BWS-icon in the systray (where the clock is placed) and tell me if there is a text displayed continuously?

To solve the problem itself, you can exit the BWS by right-clicking the icon in the systray and select exit. Then you can start the BWS again and resume the install.

I eventually used task manager to try to stop it, but then my computer exploded. I had to force-shutdown. I'm about to start round 2, so I'll let you know if anything dramatic happens the second time. :)

#211 Iecerint

Iecerint
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

It started fine from where I left off last time, I think. The last I was told last time was that ToB Extender had just been successfully installed (and then it wouldn't continue on), so I think things may be OK in spite of it awkward force-shutdown.

The text on the BWS icon in the systray is currently fine. I suppose I hope it wasn't also fine before. ^^ One odd thing is that it's installing stuff like Xan's audio track, which I would've assumed goes before the ToB extender, but maybe that's just my bad memory.

Side point -- Whenever I post on these forums, my browser (firefox) stalls and I have to force-shutdown. I don't have this problem at other forums. I registered in the event that that was the problem, but no change. Is this a known issue?

#212 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

Am I wrong thinking that BWS Beta auto-updates itself to a most recent version of BWP? I just noticed that while it's stated in BWP 9.3 that "Experience Corrections" and "Enable Conversation" exe hacks were removed from BWP in favour of TobEx, they both are still present when I run my copy of BWS Beta.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#213 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

The beta does update the links but it does not update the code/mods itself.
That's some part I'd like to do in a future release.

But as you can see, the latest release is from the 11. June, so I did not create an update for the last regular BWP-version (I did not feel like doing some coding lately and had a busy schedule at work).

#214 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Fixed
  • Pressing the exit-button while in console-window will work again while a question is displayed.
  • Reload-function does not display hints about new items while resuming any more.
  • Load additional language-specific-packages for a mod in the selected language (e.g. English GUI + preferred French Mod results will load French addon-packages if available.).
  • Search correct file for extraction-logic to close BWS own NSIS-MsgBox.

Added
  • Skip one/all missing files if providing the files was set during Au3NetTest.
  • Another check on the headers content-type to determine broken links (if no files but websites are fetched).

Changed
  • Decreased response-time during questions in console-window.

Click

Edited by dabus, 27 August 2010 - 04:10 PM.

#215 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

New release

Fixed:
  • Link-test gets recognized in advanced mode.
  • Stop fetching headers every time when fetching linkupdates for a single broken link.
Added:
  • More verbose logging (only written to logfile, not displayed) during net-updates/downloads and extraction.
  • BWS can now patch files, does updates with stripped ini-files and is able to deletes files/sections/keys.

Ah, and ImoenRom is back and replaced Imoen Friendship until that setup-name gets renamed.

Edited by dabus, 31 August 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#216 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I think I ran your last version from a week or so ago. Went pretty smoothly overall - nice improvements. A few minor issues though - most of them mod-related I think. This is from a so-called "Expert" install with some minor customisations.

- "Rquirements" (sp.) on initial install window (should be "Requirements").
- Should automatically get the latest Fixpack/Installpack versions etc. I think it does this *later* but it still says 9.2 instead of 9.3 etc.
- Exnem's Vault should be deselected by default even on Expert (it really can break your game). If you want a good enough reason beyond being overpowered, it (essentially) conflicts with CtB since I think they both (try to) fill the rows of rnd*.2da files above the cap of 9 rows each.
- Stuff of the Magi: "Use new, less cheesy items (recommended)" - if it's recommended, that's what should be selected by default instead of "Use original, overpowered items".
- If Unique Artifacts is not really compatible as the guide claims, it should not be selected by default.
- Why aren't all ToB Hacks and ToB Extender components selected - do some conflict?
- Vecna says it requires IA? Thought it duplicated the animation code like Aurora, and therefore shouldn't require it...
- BP's main component not selected by default - any reason for this?
- Why is the overwriting version of SPItems selected but not the patch-friendly version?

BWS stops responding when it tries to accept connections via port 1230 to check for missing mods. Why does it need port 1230? A lot of firewalls block non-standard ports.

These selected downloads are defect:

Black Rose Part I: Market Prices v1
Volcanic Armoury v1.0
Nikitalleria NPC (Nikita) v1.01
Wikaede One-Day NPC v3.4
Solestia NPC v1.2
Alcool (Beta) v0.11
Kari the Half-Kobold NPC (Beta) v1.3

We've known this for some time, but let's either remove them from the default or point toward working links if there are any (Volcanic Armoury at least has a v1.3 update or something I think).

Extended BG2 was "found" but had big issues downloading apparently. Would hang the installer for long periods and try to activate non-standard ports for some reason.

Sometimes there are pauses (like "Press any key to continue") or when Notepad comes up where you don't get a ringtone (ir you chose that option). These types of delays can probably be skipped or auto-continued somehow. TS is a glaring example, as it has 3 notepad popups. I thought WeiDU's skip-at-view skipped these... does it need a "really-skip-at-view" option or something? Or better yet, send all text pop-ups to the GUI "info" window on the right.

Some mods like Candlekeep Chores aren't installed automatically (though they were selected earlier). Have to choose language in the GUI and send (I)nstall as entered text. That could be done automatically I would think, since we already selected them for install in the GUI.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#217 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Thank you for testing.

Updates:
Most mods are linked via php, so the latest version is fetched. I just don't update versions and names in a regular manner like Leomar did.

The BWS fetches html-headers with winhttp.dll, a native AutoIt-tcp solution or wget to detect the filename that's fetched and its size. I don't know exactly how those work, so they might be the reason for your "funny" port. Must admit that dllcalls and how http works is a bit above my knowledge, though I read most of the code and understand what it gets/returns and how it works in general.

Mods:
Can't say much about components, I hope I fetched the defaults like the batch used to install them.
If they break stuff, I don't mind removing them from the defaults.

TobHacks and TobEx fix the same stuff, so TobEx gets the go. (At least that's what I read.)

BP 0 installs the AI, but SCS is installed per default if available and sometimes seems to conflict with BP. Thus it is left out.

Ah, and I also added a few conflicts for mods that do checks for other mods. So if the mod returns an "I will not install due to..." should be listed as conflicts, since you don't get the components that you selected. Some might still be missing though.

Downloads:
Which version of spitems should I get?
Um, I can delete some stuff that's not on-line.

Black Rose Part I: Market Prices v1 and Solestia NPC v1.2 are dead. But I thought Black Rose was ok some time ago. I also don't know if Soleastia will be put onto teambg sometime.

CoM_Solaufein said he wanted to fix Nikitalleria before putting it on-line again. Don't know how long that take and did not bother to ask. (I'm already spending too much time in front of my computer.)

Alcool (Beta) v0.11 is usually ok but the site might have been off-line for some administrative tasks.

Volcanic Armoury, Wikaede and Kari are put on mediafire. I can't handle those. You have to download them manually. (Let the BWS open the links for you should do the trick.) And as you already saw, those links may be outdated.

Halts:
The stuff that puts your install on hold should have been fixed a few days ago. I missed the change of the BW Installpack, which moved the Smoothpack-batch into a subdirectory. Thus those may have failed to install.
That installs some patches which remove readmes from batches -- that's why the WeiDU-switch does not work in that cases -- removes Chores-install and installs it later with the install-batch and so on.

Edited by dabus, 31 August 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#218 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

From what I understand:

- Why aren't all ToB Hacks and ToB Extender components selected - do some conflict?
Yes (or some components do the same thing and if both installed could/would cause problems)

- BP's main component not selected by default - any reason for this?
BP's and SCSII's AI don't play well together. And I think the BWP people are more in favor of SCS & SCSII. I regularly use BP's IA and many of SCS's components together but I am not sure which and/or if the AI is at its best.

I was slow typing.

Edited by Chevalier, 31 August 2010 - 03:14 PM.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#219 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

The BWS fetches html-headers with winhttp.dll, a native AutoIt-tcp solution or wget to detect the filename that's fetched and its size. I don't know exactly how those work, so they might be the reason for your "funny" port. Must admit that dllcalls and how http works is a bit above my knowledge, though I read most of the code and understand what it gets/returns and how it works in general.

Well, I thought AutoIt was just a scripting language and winhttp.dll a standard Windows dynamic library. And wget just a utility to retrieve content via http (usually port 80 or 443) or ftp (port 20 or 21). Maybe it tries different ports (possibly uncommon proxy ports) if it can't get the file within a specified amount of time, but the script you're using must specifically tell it to do that, no?

Which version of spitems should I get?

This is the preferred version I think. The kits don't need to be installed (but can be selected for install); the item pack is the last component listed. I think it's there, but like I said, the overwriting version is selected instead (maybe the modder has since changed the overwriting - kinda doubt that though).

I also don't know if Soleastia will be put onto teambg sometime.

I can ask plainab about it but if he hasn't been around, I don't really expect a response anytime soon.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#220 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Nikitalleria won't be fixed any time in the immediate future. I have other stuff to get done first.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying