Photo

BiG World Project (BWP) v8.3

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#121 Aramyr

Aramyr
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

I need some help I became new to the big world project user-although I played BGT. I fail to isntall the projest for the 3rd time for now. The 1st and 3rd one CDT at the gnoll stronghold, 2nd one at Candlekeep has the problem: can not initate dialog Gorion/or some others appears busy. I followed the instruction of the manual. Is there a difference between the dvd and rthe 3 cd version of BG?
And a note the spell50 v10 pack can not be download anywhere link seemed dead. I found only v6 on weimar's page(?)is the compatible?
If this question is not in the right topic please redirect me, where can i find help. Thanks. Aramyr

Attached Files

Edited by Aramyr, 02 March 2010 - 12:24 AM.

#122 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

My suggestion is to switch from pdf document to wikipedia. Even with my experience of wikipedia mostly as an end-user rather than a contributor, I believe most of the problem mentioned can be solved easily. Most importantly, wiki form allows Leonardo and other masterminds behind the project to outsource to the mass the busy work, such as updating the latest version # of the mods, proofreading translation, etc., that requires little technical knowledge. Meanwhile, they can focus on their energy on the technical level.

Kerzenburg has something like that :) (although it's in German :P) ... and I think SHS has a wiki ... :devil:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#123 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

My suggestion is to switch from pdf document to wikipedia. Even with my experience of wikipedia mostly as an end-user rather than a contributor, I believe most of the problem mentioned can be solved easily. Most importantly, wiki form allows Leonardo and other masterminds behind the project to outsource to the mass the busy work, such as updating the latest version # of the mods, proofreading translation, etc., that requires little technical knowledge. Meanwhile, they can focus on their energy on the technical level.

I've suggested this before - it really should be in HTML to allow easier editing. Moreover, if it's online too, if you want to direct someone to something, you can just send the link rather than trying to dig through the PDF and direct them to that. Even if the source is a MS Word document, you should be able to save it to HTML. "Wikifying" it might be a bit more work, but probably not much more.

@Aramyr, if you're getting crashes, attach your baldur.err log after it's been enabled in baldur.ini (see pinned FAQ for more info). Also there were issues with Spell50 I reported here, dunno if anyone did anything about it (probably not).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#124 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Aramyr, could it be that you have not used the BWP tools and did a manual installation? I ask, because your WeiDU.log shows me, that you haven't installed the BW Fixpack...

... 2nd one at Candlekeep has the problem: can not initate dialog Gorion/or some others appears busy.

Thats sounds like you haven't installed the latest official BioWare patch for ToB. Did you use the "BiG World Setup"?

And a note the spell50 v10 pack can not be download anywhere link seemed dead. I found only v6 on weimar's page(?)is the compatible?

The link in the linklist work for Spell50. Try it.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#125 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

First, hats off to everyone involved in the BWP, it is an extremely impressive piece of work, one with which I will finally be able to complete my goal of playing the entire BG saga in the same game, and with all the tweaks I want ! When you work in a way to select components in the mods, that will add another layer of awesomeness to the cake.

For the time being, I had to scour the .BAT install file and check the components for each of the mods I want to install ; in doing so, I found what I think are small mistakes or inconsistencies. Here we go :

• SCS II : components 6040 and 6070 should be on line 4432, and not 4428, as they are labeled "Tactical" in the manual
  • PnP Free action : the manual only specifies this is incompatible with Divine Remix, but the .BAT also checks that Spell Revisions is not installed
  • Taimon's ToB Hacks : components numbers and selection are inconsistent between PDF (100 120 121 130 140) and the BAT (80 100 110 120 121 130)

All this based on the 8.3.1 version I downloaded a week ago, so maybe there have been udpates since. I'll post a new thread with my own compatibility questions later, as I have a few conflicting mods and I'll need the help of knowledgeable people :)

Cheers,
Fred

Edited by Tonton Fred, 03 March 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#126 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

The PDF is the document that is created after the batch, so the bat should not be the one that is faulty.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#127 -Uaine-

-Uaine-

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

I have an idea for a feature to add in the future. It would be nice if you can save your mod selection choices in Big World Setup to a preferences file (use xml or something). This would be great for a couple reasons:

1. If the setup program crashes, you don't have to go through the whole list of mods all over again; simply load your saved selections.
2. This would allow people to easily swap their favorite "stable" combinations of mods.

#128 Theon

Theon
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

It would be nice if you can save your mod selection choices in Big World Setup to a preferences file (use xml or something).

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is already implemented on the advanced mod selection screen.

#129 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

Yup, the BWS could do that since long before the public release, when the GUI was mostly build upon menus and used a blue theme that was never seen by anyone except a few testers. :D

It's also written in the help-text:
The menu:
In the options-menu, there are several useful functions. E.g. you want to take a break from selecting your mods, you can save your current selection.
After you have taken a nap, you can restore the settings and continue.
You can also share your selection with others by the import/export-function.

#130 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:57 AM

you want to take a break from selecting your mods, you can save your current selection...

Just cause I am blind and an idiot, doesn't mean I don't have a valid questions... From where do I 'save' the selection? And how do I 'load' it... :P
Also there could be away to save it into a read file, so people could use other peoples file selections, and update them.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#131 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

:blink:

#132 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:43 AM

Posted Image

Anyway,

SCS II : components 6040 and 6070 should be on line 4432, and not 4428, as they are labeled "Tactical" in the manual

The recent SCS update (11->13) reordered the components :P So, unless a BWP 8.3.2 gets out, everyone's getting tactic-standard hybrids now :devil:

Edited by Lollorian, 04 March 2010 - 03:46 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#133 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:05 AM

:blink:

See, when you start the BWS, it defaults to the 5 Default install versions: BGT Minimal, Recommend, Standard, Tactic, Expert... there is no 'custom previously saved one: load from <link>this</link> directory'. Yeah, perhaps you should make a file out of it that the BWS can read, and then further customize no matter what version of BWS starts it.

This is part of the reason I hate going through the BWS, as I can't save the custom options I should make with every BWS versions but I forget some of them... customs like, "Don't install Plate and Ba...steel mod cause it will destroy the armor AC"! "Don't install Refinements". "Don't install plah, cause of plah"... plah... because I don't like them.
While it does remember that I shouldn't install obsolite mods like "Improved Horns of Valhalla" with Item_Rev and gives me a nice red note to remove either one of them in every version, which I have previously already removed custom install options... in another version, in another directory(or in a deleted one)... see the whole thing takes a quite lot of space in the hard drive and I wish to be absolutly sure I can revert back to a clean install. Well, two can take ~60Gbs while the Dragon Age takes ~20Gb at most. Yes, I could also make the BWS update itself and uninstall the mods by itself... but I might still be playing the compilation when I already want to make a new one. Posted Image

This way, we could actually see what mods were added to the setup... by loading a file that has the info of the previously saved custom setup, which the BWS then just updates to the current version tags and adds the added mods as optional additions.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 March 2010 - 06:32 AM.

#134 -Uaine-

-Uaine-

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:20 AM

Yup, the BWS could do that since long before the public release, when the GUI was mostly build upon menus and used a blue theme that was never seen by anyone except a few testers. :D

Sorry, I totally missed that. I was using the "BiG World v8.3 english.pdf" as I went through the install. I can't find import/export functionality mentioned in that doc.

I thought "options" was just a label for the mod selection menu; I never tried clicking on it because it didn't look like a button.

I suppose this is really kind of a nitpick, but maybe they can be made to look more like a standard window menu by aligning them to the left, assigning hotkeys, and underlining the first character.

#135 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

This way, we could actually see what mods were added to the setup... by loading a file that has the info of the previously saved custom setup, which the BWS then just updates to the current version tags and adds the added mods as optional additions.

If this isn't already done by the BWS (which I haven't tried out before :P) ... +1 to much needed feature :) (although it'd really be useful once the component-selectable version gets out :devil:)

while the Dragon Age takes ~20Gb at most

Unmodded I assume ^_^

#136 Setharnas

Setharnas
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:09 AM

Uhhhmmm...?

BWSImport.jpg

#137 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Oh, and I mean modlist compatible between major versions of the BWS ofc :P

Like, I create an install in 8.3.1 and when 8.3.2 comes out, I just load the 8.3.1 modlist and itdoes the stuff Jarno said :coolthumb:

#138 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Uhhhmmm...?

Ouhgh... how the ... did I ever missed such a feature? :wall: :wacko:

By the way, thank the big old beard fellow in the clouds there is such a function... and thanks Setharnas.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 March 2010 - 09:57 AM.

#139 Setharnas

Setharnas
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

That's what I was wondering too. :P

Though I concede that Lol's got a point there, it doesn't seem to work as a comparison tool.

#140 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

Well, it saves your selection. It does not save what you didn't want.
If you left out a mod, well, that could be added and the difference in between would be the new mods.

@Loh: Until then, you can already read the changelog for new mods. :P
Still, changes in component-numbers (e.g. MTS) might ruin the mood a bit when components are selectable.