Photo

Insanity's crescendo

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Art design ideas (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to see?

1. Dark themes (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. More Dragons please! :D (1 votes [9.09%])

3. Surreal/ maddness (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. cute stuff :P (1 votes [9.09%])

5. portraits (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

6. animals/creatures (1 votes [9.09%])

7. I don't care about your art (0 votes [0.00%])

8. other (please state) (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Why should I answer? I'm just a lurker (1 votes [9.09%])

10. fantasy landscapes (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

Beyond World's End
Beyond World\'s End SHS.JPG

Earth is our own heaven/hell. Beyond Word's End lies a different truth, where the days are ever-frost and darkness never sleeps... But there's beauty in darkness....

Encounter with the Silver Sea Dragon, guardian of the norther seas.

Original character Posted Image

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#42 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Whoa. That one's cool (as are the others - I particularly like the moonbird.) You've improved lots from when I last saw your stuff!

Other than that, I'm a lousy art critic, but... I like!

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#43 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Whoa. That one's cool (as are the others - I particularly like the moonbird.) You've improved lots from when I last saw your stuff!

Other than that, I'm a lousy art critic, but... I like!

Thank you Choo Choo! :hug:I'm so glad you like them! Yeah, trying to improve a bit. :whistling: Not always with the best results but trying at least! :lol:

My Deviant Art account

#44 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

Whoa. The dragon reminds me of the Frost Dragon from the Dragonology books, but unfortunately I can't find a decent picture. Beautiful picture, though :) I think you have improved. I love the fog/cloud cover in this image. I think the glaciers look a bit flat, though.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#45 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Whoa. The dragon reminds me of the Frost Dragon from the Dragonology books, but unfortunately I can't find a decent picture. Beautiful picture, though :) I think you have improved. I love the fog/cloud cover in this image. I think the glaciers look a bit flat, though.

Second whoa I got today! ^_^ I guess that's good! yey! Thank you for your words Ipsissimus, it really means a lot to me! :hug:
Nice to know you like the clouds/fog. Now about the glaciers, they are kinda of lower opacity compared to the rest of the pic because they were meant to be "behind". It is a technique that as long as you come closer to the horizon. stuff fades. I know you have some right, but if you could please show me a tutorial about making glaciers/icebergs... I couldn't find a good tutorial on DA... So I had to try on my own. I know it's not the best but I believe I managed to reach what I wanted quite well. Maybe with practice I will get better results. But still if someone knew a good tutorial... Btw, it should be a speedpaint tutorial as speedpaint is the rest of the pic...^_^ (even if in fact there's no speed at all and it takes me many hours)

My Deviant Art account

#46 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:11 AM

Ethereal pathway
Ethereal pathway SHS.JPG

Enter the ever-burning darkness. Abandon your thoughts and let the dream descend...

Encounter with an ethereal stardust dragon Posted Image

Original character :D

Of course, as always I'd appreciate your comments! :D

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 12 May 2010 - 04:11 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#47 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

The forgotten keep
The forgotten keep SHS.JPG

A place long forgotten, a story long lost...

This is my first matte painting! A speedpaint matte painting, if there is such a thing lol. I've really learned a lot of things! Posted Image Took me~6 hours

Dedicated to Posted Image for sharing a sliver of her awesome skills and knowledge with her amazing matte painting tutorial Posted Image

Please tell me what do you think of it! :D

My Deviant Art account

#48 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:55 AM

I love the castle. Makes me think of Candlekeep--especially with the birds, since they look sort of like gulls. I like how you can still see the mountains through the clouds, too. Though you can still see some of the brush strokes on the mountains--maybe smudge/texture over it?
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#49 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

I love the castle. Makes me think of Candlekeep--especially with the birds, since they look sort of like gulls. I like how you can still see the mountains through the clouds, too. Though you can still see some of the brush strokes on the mountains--maybe smudge/texture over it?

Thank you Ipsissimus! I'm so glad you like it! Now that you mention it, it somewhat reminds me too of Candlekeep! Subtle brush strokes are a thingy that exists in speedpaint, kinda gives style. I tried to smudge it once before, but the result was worse I think... The texture maybe would be a solution...Well, maybe it's something I have to improve. It's my first matte painting so I have to work more to make myself better. :D

My Deviant Art account

#50 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

The winter star
The winter star SHS.JPG

Beautiful, yet deadly poisonous, this rare blossom is said to be found only in the heart of the winter...

Original fantasy flower :D

What do you think?

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 31 May 2010 - 01:14 PM.

My Deviant Art account

#51 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Tales of the Wasteland
Tales of the Wasteland SHS.JPG

From the ashes of the waste, the king will rise again
to lift the curse upon the land, in where his soul remain

Another speedpaint matte painting. :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts! ^_^

My Deviant Art account

#52 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Neanna, the phoenix girl
Neanna, the phoenix girl SHS.JPG
Info:
Neanna, since she was but a young girl, she had a dream to become a phoenix knight, a protector of the ethereal flame. She has such a strong bond with her ethereal phoenix familiar, that it is said they share the same heart, if one falls, both die. She has gained some magic powers through the bond but the phoenix lost his rebirth ability and became vunerable to ageing.

Well, ...speedpaint in portraits too! :P

Original character ^_^

My Deviant Art account

#53 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

I've always adored your work, but it's getting so much better. You've got a great atmosphere in all of your artwork - it reminds me of the IWD art, which is a huge, huge compliment. I especially like Winter Star and Tales of the Wasteland. Amazing. I'm not sure about the proportions of Neanna - she looks like a child, or a halfling (or is that what you were going for?). Other than that, it's super.

#54 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

First of all, I love the atmosphere of the portrait. All sparkly and cold...lovely. And the phoenix looks great. I like the story too :)

I think that Neanna's features may be slightly skewed, though. Based on the angle, shouldn't her mouth be shifted more to the right? Also perhaps her right eye (viewer's right, that is) should be angled upward slightly.

#55 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

I've always adored your work, but it's getting so much better. You've got a great atmosphere in all of your artwork - it reminds me of the IWD art, which is a huge, huge compliment. I especially like Winter Star and Tales of the Wasteland. Amazing. I'm not sure about the proportions of Neanna - she looks like a child, or a halfling (or is that what you were going for?). Other than that, it's super.

Thank you so much Crazee for all your kind words and the really great copliments! :D It really means a lot to me to hear such comments! ANd I can understand how much important is the IWD copliment, it really makes my day! :Bow:
I'm so glad you like my art and watch my work through the years! That's so awesome! Nice to know your favs! :D
Now, about Neanna: in this portrait she is a young girl and not yet a phoenix knight (as says the title, Neanna, the phoenix girl ) lol. The phoenix is very young too! Maybe later you'll see them as adults, in their full glory ;)

My Deviant Art account

#56 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

First of all, I love the atmosphere of the portrait. All sparkly and cold...lovely. And the phoenix looks great. I like the story too :)

I think that Neanna's features may be slightly skewed, though. Based on the angle, shouldn't her mouth be shifted more to the right? Also perhaps her right eye (viewer's right, that is) should be angled upward slightly.

Thank you so much Ipsissimus! I'm glad you like it and thank you also for the precious feedback! I think you are right... In other words, next time I'm gonna make a portrait, I will use reference for sure, as I always do some mistakes. Hopes this time the were not so critical... ^^

My Deviant Art account

#57 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

Neanna, the phoenix girl SHS.JPG

Updated :D Hope it's better now!

My Deviant Art account

#58 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

The second version indeed looks better :) There's still a couple things I'd change though. Horrible icky coloring job as an example:

PhoenixTest.jpg

I tried to define the nose more with a light color and emphasized the nostril in a darker tone. I also colored the region between the nose and upper lip with more variation in color. Last, I slightly changed the shape of her irises and pupils--now they're partially covered by her eyelids, though it's not entirely clear in this, unfortunately.

For various tutorials, I recommend checking out acidlullaby's work--basic portraits in Photoshop, drawing noses from different angles, painting noses, and painting eyes.

Does that help at all?

#59 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

The second version indeed looks better :) There's still a couple things I'd change though. Horrible icky coloring job as an example:

PhoenixTest.jpg

I tried to define the nose more with a light color and emphasized the nostril in a darker tone. I also colored the region between the nose and upper lip with more variation in color. Last, I slightly changed the shape of her irises and pupils--now they're partially covered by her eyelids, though it's not entirely clear in this, unfortunately.

For various tutorials, I recommend checking out acidlullaby's work--basic portraits in Photoshop, drawing noses from different angles, painting noses, and painting eyes.

Does that help at all?

Well, Thank you so much for all the constructive criticism! It really helps a lot! :hug:
I belive you are right on more of your points, but I'm afraid it is more complicated. You should check the shadows too. I mean, the light color on the nose comes in contrast with the shadow of her hair ^^ Also, the changes you made, although they are right, they kinda kill the feelings captured. I mean she seems like an angry orc now lol (I'm not sury why, but somehow you corrupted the face balance) Also, the hair are not better without the white icy thingy, you have to consider not only the light but the snow has some icy effects there, which give also better bending with the rest of the pic.

Last, I slightly changed the shape of her irises and pupils--now they're partially covered by her eyelids, though it's not entirely clear in this, unfortunately

The same goes for the original eyelids, on both tries, with that resolution it doesn't show.... (something which is natural for a speedpaint portrait, chech for example IWD portraits)
No matter that, I believe you helped me a lot. I have to study these things and try to improve next time. ^_^

WOW! These tutorials are just great, I'm gonna fav them all so I will have them in my tutorials collection, ready for the next time! :D
So much things to learn! Thank you so much!

My Deviant Art account

#60 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

The winterhaven tower
The winterhaven towerSHS.JPG

On the frozen north, lies a great tower build long ago by a powerful wizard. It's a winter sanctuary made of stone and embraced by ice, bound to the earth but watching the skies...

Another matte painting! ^^

I would love to hear your thoughts! :D

My Deviant Art account