Photo

Insanity's crescendo

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Art design ideas (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like to see?

1. Dark themes (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. More Dragons please! :D (1 votes [9.09%])

3. Surreal/ maddness (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. cute stuff :P (1 votes [9.09%])

5. portraits (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

6. animals/creatures (1 votes [9.09%])

7. I don't care about your art (0 votes [0.00%])

8. other (please state) (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Why should I answer? I'm just a lurker (1 votes [9.09%])

10. fantasy landscapes (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:00 AM

Due to space limits I had to create a new post for my artwork, so here it is! It's funny it happened now that the year changed. So here would be artwork from 2010! :lol: Enjoy!

Dark side of wonderland

Dark side of wonderland SHS.JPG

Wanna play hide and seek???
When a fairytale meet madness, it turns into nightmare... :devil:

Made in January 2010! That's my first work this year!

Credits: Brushes used from Obsidian Dawn http://www.obsidiandawn.com

Graidon
Graidon SHS.JPG
That's Graidon, Dragon-lovers group mascot dragon! :D
I made it for an avatar contest on DA. Enjoy! :D

Original character by alviaalcedo
Art design by me :P

Ghost of a rose
Ghost of a rose SHS.JPG

Where angel tears fell,
has risen a mighty rose,
but those who seek it never find it,
because it stands where there's no hope...

Forest stock by caserta-stock

The dark star
The dark star SHS.JPG

The last laugh is reserved for death

United Art
United Art SHS.JPG

Logo made for the group United Art in Deviantart. Of course you can join if you like! :D

Bound to the Devil
Bound to the devil SHS.JPG

Those who condemn others to their death, don't understand that it is them who are condemned. They can see but they're blind, they feel free but they're bound. By not confronting their hate and fear, they remain imprisoned...

The Moonbird
The moonbird SHS.JPG

Legend says that when the Moonbird is hurt, the moon itself bleeds (and thus turns to red)

Original character :D

Beyond World's End
Beyond World\'s End SHS.JPG

Earth is our own heaven/hell. Beyond Word's End lies a different truth, where the days are ever-frost and darkness never sleeps... But there's beauty in darkness....

Encounter with the Silver Sea Dragon, guardian of the norther seas.

Original character :D

Ethereal pathway
Ethereal pathway SHS.JPG

Enter the ever-burning darkness. Abandon your thoughts and let the dream descend...

Encounter with an ethereal stardust dragon Posted Image

Original character Posted Image

The forgotten keep
The forgotten keep SHS.JPG

A place long forgotten, a story long lost...

This is my first matte painting! A speedpaint matte painting, if there is such a thing lol. I've really learned a lot of things! Posted Image Took me~6 hours

Dedicated to Posted Image for sharing a sliver of her awesome skills and knowledge with her amazing matte painting tutorial Posted Image

The winter star
The winter star SHS.JPG

Beautiful, yet deadly poisonous, this rare blossom is said to be found only in the heart of the winter...

Original fantasy flower :D

Tales of the Wasteland
Tales of the Wasteland SHS.JPG

From the ashes of the waste, the king will rise again
to lift the curse upon the land, in where his soul remain

Another speedpaint matte painting. :)

Neanna, the phoenix girl
Neanna, the phoenix girl SHS.JPG

Info:
Neanna, since she was but a young girl, she had a dream to become a phoenix knight, a protector of the ethereal flame. She has such a strong bond with her ethereal phoenix familiar, that it is said they share the same heart, if one falls, both die. She has gained some magic powers through the bond but the phoenix lost his rebirth ability and became vunerable to ageing.

The winterhaven tower
The winterhaven towerSHS.JPG

On the frozen north, lies a great tower build long ago by a powerful wizard. It's a winter sanctuary made of stone and embraced by ice, bound to the earth but watching the skies...

Another matte painting! ^^

The silver snowbird
The silver snowbird shs.JPG

It is said that on the winter's eve, a silver snowbird appears, and the very first snow flows from it's silver wings...

Another matte painting! ^^

The White Gate of Fornost
The White Gate of Fornost SHS.JPG

Info: Fornost Erain (Sindarin 'Northern-fortress of the Kings' from for(n) (north) + ost (fortress); "Norbury of the Kings" in Westron) was a city of Eriador in the north of Middle-earth. It was located at the south end of the North Downs, about 100 Númenórean miles north of Bree; after Fornost Erain was abandoned, the site became known as Deadmen's Dike, visited only by Rangers. (wikipedia)

Well, I love Tolkien's work and Silmarillion is my favourite book. I always wanted to do some art inspired by this book, so here it is! This matte painting took me quite a lot of time and effort but I hope it was worth it. ^^

Into the Void
Into the Void SHS.JPG

Between the worlds, there is the Void... a dark and desolate place fallen into oblivion Posted Image

Another speedpainting ^^

The Fallen Paladin
The Fallen Paladin SHS.JPG

Devotion to the code isn't always for the greater good. Sometimes you have to stand against the law, sometimes you have to stand against the gods themselves...

This portrait is a tribute to Jason Manley, one of my fav artists, whose awesome work always haunt my mind and I really learned a lot by his unique view on art. Posted Image

The Black Dragon Lord
The Black Dragon Lord shs.JPG

A pic for a dragon contest in DA, for more info see here

Elven Kitty
Elven KittySHS.JPG

A lil' elven kitty! Posted Image It's mysterious glow in the moonlight, is said to be a reminder of the light, that was flowing by the great Silver tree of Valinor! ^_^

The writing is in elvish language: "Cath'Quessir" = Elven cat

Another speedpaint ^^ Doing some practice on creating digital fur. lol

Of course, as always I'd appreciate your comments! :D

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 05 October 2010 - 05:03 AM.

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#2 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

Hat is slightly too blured but at overall it looks awesome :ph34r:

#3 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Hat is slightly too blured but at overall it looks awesome :ph34r:

Thanx Yarpen! I think it's the fog that makes it feel blured, but to some point this is intended. I mean that without the fog it looked quite flat and the fog makes it more dark I think. The original which was crystal clear, wasn't so awesome in my eyes. Maybe because of the design of the pic, the black tree on the front seemed way out of place. (It has a touch of surrealism so don't blame me for pure black/shadow trees lol) I have tried different opacity levels for the fog and that one was fitting best IMO. Of couse I don't claim it's perfect but it was the best I could do.^_^ Thank you very much for the feedback, it's much appreciated! :cheers:

My Deviant Art account

#4 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Your previous works have often had pretty colors and neat details. But this pic, it's got style. @_@

I'd maybe 'cut some corners' with the shape of it though, give it something of an vertically lengthwise aligned elliptical frame; there isn't much going on in the corners, an elliptical shape would bring it to better focus I think. ^^

#5 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Your previous works have often had pretty colors and neat details. But this pic, it's got style. @_@

I'd maybe 'cut some corners' with the shape of it though, give it something of an vertically lengthwise aligned elliptical frame; there isn't much going on in the corners, an elliptical shape would bring it to better focus I think. ^^

Thanks WeeR! It sounds a good idea (at least I would try that) but I'm not sure how to do it... Can you give me an example? I'm a little confused about this lengthwise aligned elliptical frame. Do you mean the pic could be oval or something?

My Deviant Art account

#6 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

Yes, the pic should be an oval. .p

Something like so: http://img.photobuck...oid/Example.jpg

Edited by WeeRLegion, 09 January 2010 - 09:57 AM.

#7 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

Yes, the pic should be an oval. .p

Something like so: http://img.photobuck...oid/Example.jpg

I can't deny it has a stronger focus. But I don't really like it. :P The dark corners give anyway focus to the center in a similar way. The bad thing with the oval is that it managed to "erase" some tiny but spicy (for me) details like the dark creatures with shiny eyes (all the 4 of them!) and the dice on the right. In order to include them all, it's better to stay in it's current state. Anyway, thanx for the try to help! Much appreciated as always! :cheers:

My Deviant Art account

#8 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9200 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

Silinde, why not try adding some darkness to the top corners to create that elliptical shape, rather than cutting out everything in the corners?

#9 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

Silinde, why not try adding some darkness to the top corners to create that elliptical shape, rather than cutting out everything in the corners?

K'aeloree you're genious! :Bow: You came up with the best idea which combines both benefits from oval and normal view! Simple, yet brilliant!

The only thingy is that this would be my final version as tomorrow I will leave my pc and my stuff on my university home, while I will go back to my homeland in order to return to the army. As a result I will not be able to alter it anymore (at least for some time, until I return)
I hope it's better now. If you ask me why I haven't added more shadows on the top, believe me, that was because of the moon, it was a sensitive area and the more shadows in contrast with the bright moon made it looks kinda crappy. I think it's quite good now, what's your opinion?

Here's the new version: And the old
Dark side of wonderland SHS.JPG post-8237-126303254209.jpg

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 09 January 2010 - 08:14 PM.

My Deviant Art account

#10 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Graidon SHS.JPG
That's Graidon, Dragon-lovers group mascot dragon! :D
I made it for an avatar contest on DA. Enjoy! :D

Original character by alviaalcedo
Art design by me :P

Of course I'd always like to hear your comments!

My Deviant Art account

#11 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Mmmm. Looks nice. :]
Bright/dark balance seems to be quite spot on for that kinda picture.

The style, excepting on the horns, is kind of smudgey, not in a bad manner mind it, it's very stylish, but I'd still go with more detail, particularly around the mouth area; get it some real teeth. ^^

#12 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Mmmm. Looks nice. :]
Bright/dark balance seems to be quite spot on for that kinda picture.

The style, excepting on the horns, is kind of smudgey, not in a bad manner mind it, it's very stylish, but I'd still go with more detail, particularly around the mouth area; get it some real teeth. ^^

Thanks WeeR. Oh no! you noticed the teeth thingy! lmao! I was just too bored to work on teeth because they're so tiny that noone will notice them on the avatar (bear in mind that it's 100x50 pixels). Let's say it comes out blackness from it's teeth or something :ROFL: Other than my boredom, I intended not to make too many details because it's meant to be an avatar and the details are lost and even worst, it not very sharp, then it may looks even worse (like a mosaic thingy). I tried to keep some areas with no details because the avatar is so damn small that some shapes are lost :(
Btw, what do you think of the avatar? Bah, I don't care so much to win but for the fun of drawing again. Nice to see you here! Wish I had more time. 1,5 months left for me to finish my service. I have some days off now so I'll be around for about a week. Yey! :D

My Deviant Art account

#13 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

The teeth. well, quite frankly, I don't think the smudges look much like teeth either in the big or the small pic; they work as a stylistic chocie, but calling them teeth seems to be a bit off the mark. .p

And yeah, it might take some tinkering to get real teeth to look nice in the scaled down pic. Key would be to not make them too bright or too obvious, flat white being a def nono. ^^

As for what I'd like to see you try here. Hm. Dunno. Just keep it inspired and relaxed. ^^

Edited by WeeRLegion, 04 March 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#14 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

Thank for the advice. I'd pick the stylistic choice excuse :P You saved me for the time! :lol:
Inspired and relaxed, it sounds like... -rolling- *mind check succeeded* :Bow:

My Deviant Art account

#15 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Ghost of a rose
Ghost of a rose SHS.JPG

Where angel tears fell,
has risen a mighty rose,
but those who seek it never find it,
because it stands where there's no hope...

Forest stock by caserta-stock

Of course I'd love to hear your comments! :D

My Deviant Art account

#16 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

That...is absolutely gorgeous. Makes me think of something from the Chronicles of Amber. The lighting seems a bit too intense and blue around the rose itself, though. Maybe try making the frame/structure more prominent? Meh, dunno.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#17 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

That...is absolutely gorgeous. Makes me think of something from the Chronicles of Amber. The lighting seems a bit too intense and blue around the rose itself, though. Maybe try making the frame/structure more prominent? Meh, dunno.

Thanks u for your words Ipsissimus! I'm so glad you like it! Btw, never heard before of Chronicles of Amber. I just took a quick view on wikipedia and it looks cool! As about the lighting, It's a bit difficult to change it now because that would mean I would have to work from the start :doh: (as I should have chosen a different scale of lightpower). I understand that it's very intense but it was meant to be that way as it's the lightsource , at least to one point. lol

My Deviant Art account

#18 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:44 AM

Mmm. Looks good.

But, um, if you use a stock photo as a base, and do all the work with special brushes, how much of it is really you doing the work?
Just a little something I've always wondered.
I prefer being able to give and take full credit. o_o

#19 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:42 AM

Mmm. Looks good.

But, um, if you use a stock photo as a base, and do all the work with special brushes, how much of it is really you doing the work?
Just a little something I've always wondered.
I prefer being able to give and take full credit. o_o

I don't blame you WeeR, I was thinking the same for a long time. But I changed my mind :P That's because I realised it is just another challenge to work with photomanipulations. It's not the same as drawing but it's a kind of art. I also prefer to actually do mixed media (thus drawing in a photomanipulation). That's a collaboration with the greatest artist, nature! lol And it's really hard to make something that would bend with a real pic. For example, the thingy around the rose took me about 4-5 hours to make it feel somewhat realistic (design ~6-7 min, proper lighting/shading and bending ~4+ hours) I prefer not to just copy and paste things but I see it as a kind of art. Even the proper light can boost a pic to a real wonder. I also try photography so I could really take full credit by editing my own images :D But in that case I had not the right pic in my photo library :doh:. Anyway, I don't really mind to give credit to other people as long as they give me tools for building my dreams :D

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 09 March 2010 - 01:44 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#20 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

The dark star
The dark star SHS.JPG

The last laugh is reserved for death

Of course I'd love to hear your comments! :D

My Deviant Art account