Photo

How important is the Widescreen Mod?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Baboon

The Baboon
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

Okay, so the Widescreen Mod has failed me every now and then. I never really figured out why - it simply doesn't install correctly, I get an error message, and my installation is thoroughly wrecked. Or at least I get a lot of random bugs, although I really don't know why.
If I try it again, it may work...or not.

Anti-virus and other programs seemingly have no influence whatsoever.

So, how risky is it to just use BGConfig settings instead of the mod?
All I want is to play the game in 1024x768.

Edited by The Baboon, 13 November 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#2 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Okay, so the Widescreen Mod has failed me every now and then. I never really figured out why - it simply doesn't install correctly, I get an error message, and my installation is thoroughly wrecked. Or at least I get a lot of random bugs, although I really don't know why.
If I try it again, it may work...or not.

Anti-virus and other programs seemingly have no influence whatsoever.

From personal experience, I would say go for it.

As far as i know, and the way I view the widescreen mod, is to use if you want anything truly not supported by the standard game. The options that are there, whilst technically 'unsupported' seem to work fine. If you wanted particular ratios or other options than those available, then that is the only time you need such a mod.

#3 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

I never really figured out why - it simply doesn't install correctly, I get an error message, and my installation is thoroughly wrecked. Or at least I get a lot of random bugs, although I really don't know why.

Are you using the latest v2.2??

Can you attach the setup-widescreen.debug (or somehing like that :P) file or ask in the official widescreen mod forums??

Personally, I never had a problem with the widescreen mod (and I usually leave me antivir on during install :D), Never thought about leaving it out. My logic was, if almost everything in the game's gonna be modded, why not let a mod take care of the resolution as well (even if I play at 1024x768 meself ... higher than that and everything's too antsy :P)

You could try to use the BGConfig's 1024x768 setting, it's kinda not been thoroughly tested yet :P Be sure to tell us if it worked though :D

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#4 Xicloing

Xicloing
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:37 AM

You could try to use the BGConfig's 1024x768 setting, it's kinda not been thoroughly tested yet :P Be sure to tell us if it worked though :D

Just don't do that if afterwards you install the Widescreen Mod. Leave it at (or set it back to) 800x600 before you install the Widescreen Mod.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

:blink: There is no such option in the BGConfig.exe's setting...

Now, if you have a clean full install of BG2(SoA+ToB+patch v2.5.26498) as your base, the mod should install fine, if your anti-virus and other software protections are turned off. And for the mod to be fully effective, you have to adjust your Windows background to the same resolution as the games.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't play the game with the normal 800x600 or 640x480, but that's kinda small, nothing else, there will be no more bugs or anything else for that matter, as the BWP/S will install fine without the Widescreen mod, or any other for that matter(except the BiG World Stuff of course), you should just choose them with the ~'Further customization of your settings...' box tagged.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 14 November 2009 - 01:02 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

:blink: There is no such option in the BGConfig.exe's setting...

There is too :P

Graphics->Display->Unsupported->Unlock Modes->1024x768

... and I guess the OP was talkin about this right from the start :D

Wish he could just tell us what his errors were exactly ... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 14 November 2009 - 01:09 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#7 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:10 AM

So i don't see a reason to use the Widescreen mode. Just use that setting within BGconfigscreen,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#8 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:37 AM

Since apparently people still don't get these things..

1. Widescreen hacks the exe so that it ignores the ini. As such, BGConfig can be ran indipendently of Widescreen, and the screen size config will be ignored.
2. Widescreen overwrites the 1024x768 codepath in the exe. As such, 1024x768 from either BGConfig and Widescreen execute the same exact code and are thus fully identical (*not* only equivalent, but fully identical). Thus, BGConfig 1024x768 is as stable as Widescreen 1024x768, and BGConfig 1024x768 should NOT be recommended against in the BWP.
3. On the other hand, 1280x960 and higher from BGConfig are as buggy as hell, and thus you should use Widescreen even if you intend to run one of those resolutions.

Hopefully more people will start remembering this if it's easier to read.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#9 joshuar9476

joshuar9476
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Since apparently people still don't get these things..

1. Widescreen hacks the exe so that it ignores the ini. As such, BGConfig can be ran indipendently of Widescreen, and the screen size config will be ignored.
2. Widescreen overwrites the 1024x768 codepath in the exe. As such, 1024x768 from either BGConfig and Widescreen execute the same exact code and are thus fully identical (*not* only equivalent, but fully identical). Thus, BGConfig 1024x768 is as stable as Widescreen 1024x768, and BGConfig 1024x768 should NOT be recommended against in the BWP.
3. On the other hand, 1280x960 and higher from BGConfig are as buggy as hell, and thus you should use Widescreen even if you intend to run one of those resolutions.

Hopefully more people will start remembering this if it's easier to read.

reading that was like playing the game in 640x480 mode ... ugh
i have a witty signature thought up, i just haven't posted it yet.

#10 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

By the way, I don't remember seeing it in the list of common problems with the widescreen mod, but if a resolution does not exist in the display driver in Windows, the widescreen mod will not work. The solution is to either use resolutions that are in the list of available resolutions, or to create a custom resolution using the display driver. I had to do the latter in order to get 1440x900 to work on my 24" monitor. It's the perfect mix of screen real estate and text clarity for me.

#11 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

We're not against it and it is only a note. The test have shown us, that it is always better you don't change the solution before you install a megamod as to change them before you start the installation. When the installation is finished you can change the solution like you want and try your settings or choose them with the Widescreen mod.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 14 November 2009 - 09:27 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World