Photo

Troll immunities? Bug or design, I do not know.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sylvan

Sylvan
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

So, playing through BG2 for the first time in years, with a pretty much all caster party, and I've noticed that the trolls in the de'Arnise keep are immune to a LOT of my spells.

Specifically, I get no saving throw text for Confusion(Chaos), Paralysis(Hold Monster), and Sleep(Greater Command).

Dominate is strange as well, in that I will see the text Troll - Dominated in the text window, but nothing happens (I've made sure that I am *not* attacking these trolls, as I've had issues with my party members continuing to attack creatures after I have charmed/dominated them before). The dominated trolls keep their red circles and do not ever come under my control.

Slow is working normally.

ALso, and I'm reasonably sure this is just a design issue, but do trolls regenerate even when damaged with fire/acid? I know you have to perma-kill them with acid/fire, but I was hoping that my party of casters could just Flamestrike/Acid Arrow/Fireball their way through the keep without too much worry. Tested and confirmed when I let a Spirit Troll beat on a Stoneskinned/Mirror Imaged/Fire Shielded Nalia. Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is just a normal game feature, but its been so long since I last played, and I've never played with this kind of spellpower, so I've never tested it.

#2 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Specifically, I get no saving throw text for Confusion(Chaos), Paralysis(Hold Monster), and Sleep(Greater Command).

Trolls are immune to confuse and some other debilitating effects, yes. I still remember trying to Chaos a bunch of them for the first time.

ALso, and I'm reasonably sure this is just a design issue, but do trolls regenerate even when damaged with fire/acid?

They do. There's no way for IE to tell them stop it after being hit with fire.

Retired from modding.

#3 Sylvan

Sylvan
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

Alrighty. Thanks for letting me know.

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

ALso, and I'm reasonably sure this is just a design issue, but do trolls regenerate even when damaged with fire/acid?

They do. There's no way for IE to tell them stop it after being hit with fire.

And why not?
IF

OR(3)

HitBy(Myself,ACID)

HitBy(Myself,FIRE)

HitBy(Myself,MAGICFIRE)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

DestroyItem("trollreg")

END
Or something like that.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Sylvan

Sylvan
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

Well, I wouldn't want them to then *not* regenerate from normal wounds........

I'm not a modder, but would there be some way to give them permanent hp damage when hit by fire/acid? As in, a random troll has 60 HP, I hit him with a flamestrike for 23, he now has a cap of 37?

#6 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

Duh, I must be getting old.

I'm not a modder, but would there be some way to give them permanent hp damage when hit by fire/acid? As in, a random troll has 60 HP, I hit him with a flamestrike for 23, he now has a cap of 37?

It's doable... in theory. Each source of fire/acid also reduces troll's max hp. Problem is, for damage and hp decrease to be the same number, you'd have to turn a simple 6d6 damage effect into a very messy load of percentage-based fixed amounts. Still, it can be coded.

PS Yes, despite the ugly way to implement, it might prove interesting. I'll try it tonight.

Edited by GeN1e, 26 September 2009 - 12:32 PM.

Retired from modding.

#7 Sylvan

Sylvan
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

Spiffy. Once I'm done with this playthrough (first time to ever actually beat ToB, I hope) I can help out, since I want to get into some modding anyways. I see so, so many things to do with my BG games..........