Photo

Will you buy Dragon Age: Origins?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Poll: Is DA for you? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you buy DA: Origins?

1. Yes, immediately upon launch (21 votes [52.50%])

Percentage of vote: 52.50%

2. No, not really that interested (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

3. When it hits the bargain bin (11 votes [27.50%])

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

4. What's Dragon Age? (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

Dear god, no, I hope that if there's plans for a sequel it will NOT be a MMO. I hate those freaking things with the passion of a thousand fiery suns.

Seconded.

Regarding BG2's collector's edition, I remember getting it as a gift as soon as it came out (hadn't even heard of BG1 by then, and I thought "hum, what's this? Kinda looks vaguely interesting", I was in for a ride!). So yeah, it might not make much sense that the Collector's Edition would come out so early, but in my opinion, it does, because it's "that special edition which special stuff in it, that edition that's kinda rare and that'll make your friends jealous" kinda thing. But, that's just me. I think that's very distinct from later versions, the ones that come out long after the initial release, such as the GOTY versions.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#102 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

More on topic... I've considered buying the Digital Deluxe Edition, and it looks like I'll be buying it, provided that I don't get a pre-order in for a regular CE before November 6th (not very likely).

Edit: Typo

Edited by Archmage Silver, 15 October 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#103 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

I previously took a look into what BONUS items you can get for pre-ordering the game (see my post here). Now you can also get the Lucky Stone ring if you upload a character made with the DA Character Creator to the BioWare social site. If you order from Steam you'll get:

Exclusive Steam Item
The Wicked Oath

Countess Luciana of Antiva lived as a virtual prisoner in her husband?s castle until an elven slave offered her a way out. The slave magically bound a small amount of the countess?s blood into a ring in return for a promise of freedom. The countess agreed, and the count was found stabbed soon afterwards, this ring lying beside him. Neither Luciana nor the slave were seen again.
  • Adds +10% to critical strike damage
  • Improves armor penetration by 2
  • Adds +1 to combat stamina regeneration
Edit: Added Guide: Getting The Most For Your Dragon Age: Origins Pre-Order Money

Edited by Archmage Silver, 17 October 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#104 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

I finally got around to pre-ordering my copy of Dragon Age Origins. I went with the standard version, in the end, because I'm an Amazon girl, and the Collector's version is now priced as 129$ (can I hear "youch!"). My only regret, in any case, is not getting the soundtrack, with it, because I don't care much for cloth maps, and the like.

The good news is that we can all get the Lucky Stone Ring, hooray! ^_^ (At least, I think my uploading 7 characters would have me qualify with flying colors... )

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#105 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

I'm looking forward to this game. Haven't looked this much forward to a game in a long time. I'm keeping my cool though; I ain't expecting BG2-like quality just yet...

The DLC-on-day-one can be explained though. The DLC has been in development by Bioware's DLC team for some time. The game itself was supposed to be released earlier this year, with the DLC coming out this November. With delay of the game, the two release days coincide. What should they have done? Delay the DLC artificially? Nah. I don't mind. Judging by the length of the game, we'll get plenty of bang for our buck. I think it's odd to be mad about the amount the content of a game that so obviously has tons of content compared to other games, just because of a day 1 DLC.

So I'm getting it. Even arranged for a couple of friends to bring their PCs over, so we can fire up the game together on release day, since it's released on a friday here in Europe.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#106 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

I finally got around to pre-ordering my copy of Dragon Age Origins. I went with the standard version, in the end, because I'm an Amazon girl, and the Collector's version is now priced as 129$ (can I hear "youch!"). My only regret, in any case, is not getting the soundtrack, with it, because I don't care much for cloth maps, and the like.

The good news is that we can all get the Lucky Stone Ring, hooray! ^_^ (At least, I think my uploading 7 characters would have me qualify with flying colors... )

The Digital Deluxe Edition for PC comes with a soundtrack, if you're interested. It costs a whole lot less than those crazy prices at Amazon too, so one could actually purchase it. Check

#107 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

Thanks, Archmage Silver, but you had already posted this link, and I had already taken a look. The unfortunate twist, however, is that I want a US version shipped to my European location, and a lot of those retailers just won't do it (namely GamersGate and Direct2Drive). There's always Steam, but I like having the CD, the box, the manual, all those little "real" things... As for EA, well... Try as I might to select International and then USA, it still keep reseting to France, which annoys me to no end.

Therefore, I'm just going to keep my pre-order of the Standard version at Amazon, and I'll just try and get the soundtrack some other way later on, no biggee. ^_^

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#108 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

Thanks, Archmage Silver, but you had already posted this link, and I had already taken a look. The unfortunate twist, however, is that I want a US version shipped to my European location, and a lot of those retailers just won't do it (namely GamersGate and Direct2Drive). There's always Steam, but I like having the CD, the box, the manual, all those little "real" things... As for EA, well... Try as I might to select International and then USA, it still keep reseting to France, which annoys me to no end.

Therefore, I'm just going to keep my pre-order of the Standard version at Amazon, and I'll just try and get the soundtrack some other way later on, no biggee. ^_^

Why do you need a US version? The only difference as I understand it is that the European comes on two discs - one for english install and one for multinational.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#109 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

I don't trust the French to leave you the option of choosing between English and French versions. Take the movies : except in Paris, a movie will will almost always be dubbed. All the games my friends have bought on the market here always have the French version, with a French manual, etc. As a French American, I'm get kinda picky, and like French stuff to be in French, and English/American stuff to be in English.

No, I'm not neurotic. ^_^

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#110 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:22 AM

Here is an interesting article on the DLC. Keep in mind that being on a fan site means that it's pretty one sided though.

#111 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:51 AM

How will you know when you get the Lucky Stone...? Do you just have to keep uploading chars and eventually you will get it and it will tell you...or what?

Edited by Vicen, 19 October 2009 - 03:51 AM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#112 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

I think they'll send you an activation code to the email adress associated with your account when the game is released.

#113 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

I don't trust the French to leave you the option of choosing between English and French versions. Take the movies : except in Paris, a movie will will almost always be dubbed. All the games my friends have bought on the market here always have the French version, with a French manual, etc. As a French American, I'm get kinda picky, and like French stuff to be in French, and English/American stuff to be in English.

No, I'm not neurotic. ^_^

I'd be more concerned with US version if I were you, frankly :/

EA has this nasty little habit of attaching regions to their releases, meaning the US version might not be playable in France. I don't know for sure though.

I think, however, the versions released in Europe are the same. Or, you could order your version from Scandinavia just to be a 100% certain of having every angle covered.

- Yahtzee

#114 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

... Or, you could order your version from Scandinavia just to be a 100% certain of having every angle covered.

It's kind of interesting that we're getting the same CE contents as they do in the States, even our game versions are always in English - yet the UK gets a plastic CE case while we get a tin one. I always thought we'd get what the UK is getting. :blink:

#115 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

... Or, you could order your version from Scandinavia just to be a 100% certain of having every angle covered.

It's kind of interesting that we're getting the same CE contents as they do in the States, even our game versions are always in English - yet the UK gets a plastic CE case while we get a tin one. I always thought we'd get what the UK is getting. :blink:

The UK is apparently getting the shaft everytime EA launches a new game. Or so I hear over at the Bioware forums at least.

- Yahtzee

#116 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:39 AM

From my years and years of gaming, and accumulating American games bought and played on a US system, and then exported to Europe, on a European system (including EA games), I forsee no problems with my US version on my French system. So no, I'm not concerned. ^_^

I'm surprised that the UK would get a modified version. Wouldn't logic dictate that the UK version would be identical to the US version? Would make sense to me...

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#117 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:51 AM

From my years and years of gaming, and accumulating American games bought and played on a US system, and then exported to Europe, on a European system (including EA games), I forsee no problems with my US version on my French system. So no, I'm not concerned. ^_^

I'm surprised that the UK would get a modified version. Wouldn't logic dictate that the UK version would be identical to the US version? Would make sense to me...

Not when you're dealing with EA, apparently. Maybe they still have some grudge against the empire, who knows? ^^

- Yahtzee

#118 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

Since I missed my first chance at getting a hard copy CE, I sent an email yesterday to one of the stores here in Finland that had sold out their stock - it turned out that they had one cancellation so I pre-ordered that one.

Archmage Silver attempts to use Luck: Archmage Silver rolls a natural 20

Not even the Digital Deluxe Edition available in the UK is similar to the US one, because Game.co.uk has the exclusive rights to the three CE bonus items for its hard copies, so they can't be included in the digital download as they are in the States and elsewhere. I don't know if that has changed, but that's the last I heard.

#119 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

I'd be more concerned with US version if I were you, frankly :/

EA has this nasty little habit of attaching regions to their releases, meaning the US version might not be playable in France. I don't know for sure though.

Huh? I know about DVD-players having regions, but computers? In any case, no one can stop you from hacking the shit. Heck, iirc there's Press-the-magical-button software that kills regions fro movies, so there must be similar stuff for regular disks.

Retired from modding.

#120 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

I've never actually seen anyone do it, but it's possible you could write software which checks which version of Windows you're using. I doubt it would work well though since there are so many possibilities. MUI vs full localised version (the only one detectable even remotely reliably), different locale settings, etc. Can't really see it happening.

It's really annoying how they water down the UK version of games. I'm told that the US version of BG2 had a full-sized box and manual like BG1, and US collectors editions commonly seem to have things like cloth maps and spiral-bound manuals. That said, the first CE I've ever bought where the UK version did actually include the 'cloth map' was WoW, where it turned out to be a fairly nasty nylon thing, so I guess we're not missing out on too much. Pity about the tin though :P.