Photo

Will you buy Dragon Age: Origins?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Poll: Is DA for you? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you buy DA: Origins?

1. Yes, immediately upon launch (21 votes [52.50%])

Percentage of vote: 52.50%

2. No, not really that interested (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

3. When it hits the bargain bin (11 votes [27.50%])

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

4. What's Dragon Age? (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

Let's hope for some great user-made mods then. :)

#82 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:51 AM

Okay.... I just folded and pre-ordered the CE from Game UK. The only things that p!$$e$ me off about the UK CE is the plastic box (not tin) and the missing map. I know that sounds stupid but I still have every paper map from every CRPG I've ever bought.

-Y-

#83 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

I'll pre-order my steel box CE in a few days too, I just need to make sure whether or not my regular store will get it - if not, then it's CDON.COM (FIN).

I think Singapore takes the cake with their CE version though... it has a wooden box. Rats. I wanted a wooden box.

#84 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9200 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

Some companies have already sold out their collectors editions. I'd order sooner rather than later.

#85 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

Heh, you certainly got that right... my regular store told me that they can't confirm whether or not they'll have the CE for sale at all.

I figured I'd now pre-order it from one of the two shops that had it for sale here, but they're both sold out of DA.

Oh well, it happens... now I just don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll just pick up a regular edition of the game. Rats.

#86 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Well, I have the possibility of buying the Digital Deluxe Edition now... I guess I'll check that out if I can't find a physical CE for purchase before the release.

+ Same data content
+ Lower price
+ Warden's Keep for free

- No discs
- No steel box
- No cloth map
- No printed manual

Not too bad if it comes to that I suppose.

#87 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

How can there be a "deluxe" or "collector's" edition for a game that hasn't even been released yet? I mean, usually that takes at least a year or two, several patches, bugfixes and add-ons later (look at the "deluxe" editions with BG1-TotSC and BG2-ToB for example).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#88 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

You get the collector's edition of a game with bugs. :) People will be jealous because only X amount of people were able to get their hands on these bugs.

(It's a marketing technique to make money. Plus it comes with cool stuff apparently. Me? I'm trying to get a hold of the BG2 Collectors Edition.)

Edited by theacefes, 13 October 2009 - 07:14 PM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#89 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

SoA Collector's Edition was available when game launched. The list goes on... Collector's Editions have been available for games by launch day for years. The Deluxe Digital Edition for Dragon Age: Origins just has a different name so it won't "confuse" consumers unnecessarily.

The usual double/triple etc. gold/deluxe/diamond/platinum packages are printed for popular games after they've been out for a certain time, but they're quite different from the Collector's Editions, which are, as you observed, released on launch day.

It's just a matter of keeping up with the various terms. Confusing enough? :whistling:

#90 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Question that I am too lazy to research but some of you may know because you are bigger fans: Is Origins suggesting that this is one of a series/trilogy or is that dependent on how well the game is received and what in terms of $$$ it will turn out for the company, which took 5 years to put this game out?

#91 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:29 PM

DA isn't a part of a trilogy or anything like that, but it's a start of a new franchise for BioWare... there will, however, be at least one sequel. The devs have slipped out as much.

There have been some thoughts thrown around by devs of linking DA to DA2 in some way, possibly á la Mass Effect (save games determining the past choices). There's nothing certain about that though.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 October 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#92 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Question that I am too lazy to research but some of you may know because you are bigger fans: Is Origins suggesting that this is one of a series/trilogy or is that dependent on how well the game is received and what in terms of $$$ it will turn out for the company, which took 5 years to put this game out?

I'm hardly a 'bigger fan', though the answer I know.

Firstly, 'Origins' means you can pick an origin (yikes!).
Secondly, it illuminates the fact they're returning to roots they had started from, BG.

I can't care less though, it's called Dragon Age and nothing else. They may go and chant 'Origins, MFers, DA:Origins!' in front of a broken mirror, nobody will care.

Retired from modding.

#93 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

DA isn't a part of a trilogy or anything like that, but it's a start of a new franchise for BioWare... there will, however, be at least one sequel. The devs have slipped out as much.

I'd be a little more cautious than that and say that they have hinted there may be a sequel (which I guess would depend on sales). IIRC the exact wording was 'we have the rest of the map to play with'.

-Y-

#94 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

On an unrelated note, GameBanshee has the skills and talents etc. up in their DA section.

I'd be a little more cautious than that and say that they have hinted there may be a sequel (which I guess would depend on sales). IIRC the exact wording was 'we have the rest of the map to play with'.

-Y-

Considering that we're getting reports of CEs being sold out (some big retailers in the States as well) and large amount of pre-orders being made, IMHO it's pretty safe to calculate 1+1 when you add BioWare's previous track record to the formula.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 14 October 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#95 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

The amount of CEs being sold may not even let them break even with the amount it has cost for development. Based on that I'm wondering if they can afford (aka will the people with money make the decision) to make a sequel/franchise/whatever, not whether or not the game will be popular, as most of Bioware's games have been.

I would love to see another successful franchise by Bioware. :)

Edited by theacefes, 14 October 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#96 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

When I said "large amount of pre-orders being made" I wasn't just referring to the CEs - the normal versions (PC, 360, PS3) are topping charts as well. I think they're going to make a nice profit with the game sales alone, but when you add the predicted DLC sales to that figure you'll get to such numbers where making a sequel is mandatory since it's good business.

#97 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I was just using the CEs as an example since they were referred to above, but I think either way you got the idea of what I was saying.

#98 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

They'll make a pay-to-play MMORPG for the sequel. Either that or they'll go for a console-only game, in the spirit of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (which wasn't bad, for a console game, but the replay value is pretty much nil).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#99 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

That'd probably depend on BioWare Austin's success with the Old Republic MMORPG. It's a lucrative business after all, if you can pull it off like Blizzard did.

#100 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Dear god, no, I hope that if there's plans for a sequel it will NOT be a MMO. I hate those freaking things with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. Sure, go ahead and make it big scale multiplayer for the people who like that, but please please, also make it possible to single through it. I'd just rather have my single player games and hug them and squeeze them and name them George.

Edited by Choo Choo, 14 October 2009 - 10:01 PM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!