Photo

BiG World Project (BWP) v8.0

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#81 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:04 AM

So tell us what's better than wget if you want console output with a free tool or just use the freedom we gave you to create your own addins or do with the code whatever you want (if it does not violate the gpl2). ;)

As posted somewhere before, adding multiple downloads is not planed, so if you want to use external tools, you can pipe the urls into a textfile quite easily. It's just a few lines of code.

And please remember that some server don't like multiple downloads, like one of the admins here mentioned before.

If you think the conflict/dependencies-section is not complete, write a pm/mail to Leomar. He updates the data.
You can save your personalized selection and import it on another computer. You just have to check the "Further customization of your settings" down low and go on.

Edited by dabus, 04 September 2009 - 04:10 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#82 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:16 AM

Haha :D (I think I get on your nerves when I mention that downloading thing :P) sorry :crying:

And about the missing conflicts, there're many mentions of Spell Revisions, SpellPackB5 and Spell-50 being conceptually incompatible with each other but I didn't find them in the conflicts list, that's why I wondered :P

As for importing the settings, I don't think you ever mentioned that before :P What files need to be copied to actually import your custom megamod to another PC?? :D

Btw, letting the player choose which components should be installed seems to sound extremely tedious for you guys :o Picking out individual component conflicts and dependencies, sounds very good ... but a hell lotta work ya know :huh: Especially for mods with a million components like SCS and BG2Tweaks.

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#83 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

Well, another one or two guys asked me why we don't use this app and not do multiple connections because his internet-modem was nearly falling asleep. The reason is simple:
1) It works as it is. And you always get told: Never touch a running system, and that's not false if you don't need extra work. :D
2) There are various tools and I don't bother to check them all, syntax, portability (OS wise) and all that stuff. And I do not know if the checks are done like I expect them to be done (like changed filenames behind php-downloads).
3) The tools that are used are free.
4) All the stuff you see in the console-window are actually ripped from a hidden cmd-window and the BWS can act "as intelligent as possible".
5) As I said, you are free to hack my code to your needs. Or tell me how to create a suitable file to import into your app. Since you will not download all the files every second day and you only download new or "problemchild"-downloads that do not return the required data, the guys that said they'd do it did not bother to do it or post the additional function.

Why should I mention these functions? The help says that you can do it, so try it. After the first internal tests with a helpfile and the app, I dumped the old skinned GUI and changed a few concepts. That of the help on the right side was to help people who don't like reading manuals. So we'd integrate it and see if we can force them. :D
It just exports the mod-selection to a file via a filesavedialog. Import goes via FileOpenDialog. Very simple and it does the job.

Making this possible was the reason for me to start this BWS. Well, I started it as MMI (MegaModInstaller), but after I had created the stuff, people with more experience told me that the GUI was crappy, gave me some advice, I contacted the BWP Team since I made some common errors and we decided to give it a try.
We learned and tested and failed a lot since then. You can see in the docs\changelog.txt that it took us some time. You would not believe how many mails, ideas and work has gone down the drain since then. ;)

I hope that I'll accomplish that goal in the near future, since I have some holidays left that I have to take. And to tease you: we had a version that was able to show you all the stuff you know from the manual one year ago. But the concept behind that went down the drain again, we needed to improve the download- and extraction-parts and so the data was left out at first. Now I have some additional idea and thoughts and the old installation routine, so I hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel and it is not no train. :D

#84 -Arjento-

-Arjento-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for the 8.0 release! Now I can try it out.

But I've come across a problem I hope you can help me with.

I get a Big World Error when installing saying:

The "Baldur's Gate II" folder you entered does not contain a full installation. At least the file CD5\Movies\25movies.bif is missing. Copy it from your CD/DVD if you did a full installation. If not, do a new BG2 install.

I've also tried copy/paste the original file but the error still comes up!

#85 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

Is your alias-section in the Baldur.ini valid?

#86 -Arjento-

-Arjento-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

Is your alias-section in the Baldur.ini valid?

Ok Thanks, this fixed it!

It's starting to download the files now (Standard Version).

If I wanted to close the program down and resume my downloads, is it safe?

#87 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Wget is used to do the download.
The resume of a chunk after killing wget is not supported. It will fetch the file from scratch.
But the BWS tells wget to try to fetch the file 3 times, just in case your provider closes your connection every 10 hours.
And you can close the BWS. It will tell you that it will do that after it finished its current wget-job.
So if you want to have 100 files, you have 99 opportunities to do that.
And if you are download is at 4 of 50 MB, it will load the last 46 MB.

If you start the BWS, it will ask you if you want to resume.
If you want to do the resume of a file with wget by hand, try

"YOURPATH\BiG World Setup\Tools\wget.exe" --tries=3 --continue --progress=dot:mega --output-document="YOURFILE" "YOURURL"

I did consider this as a default-option, but some modders upload their file under the same name and things could go ugly from there on. ;)

You can exit and resume while extracting files, too.
And if you want to select your mods with care and do that on different days, keep in mind that you can save your selection and load it again later. So you can go through the list without any hurry.

Doing that closing-stuff with the BWP Install-batch would be not so good. ;)

Edited by dabus, 04 September 2009 - 09:08 AM.

#88 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Making this possible was the reason for me to start this BWS.

:Bow: Thank you for all your works :Bow:

#89 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hello!
I just installed everything with the BWP installer (8.0) and everything went smoothly. However, now when I try to launch the game for the first time after the installation the game wont start. I don't get an error screen or anything but when I press the Play button in the ToB launcher it just gives me the You-need-to-configure-your-game-for-the-first-time-window and then nothing happens. I can launch the configuration separatly from BGConfig.exe and after I configured it the launcher still gives me the same message. Anyone knows what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

#90 -Arjento-

-Arjento-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Ok,

So I installed it now, it's finished biffing, then I tried loading BG1...OMG the horror I couldn't start a New Game!

I started to panic but after trying BG2 I am at ease now :woot:

Just one question, it's taken quite a lot of HD space (27 gigs!), what's the best procedure to delete files I wouldn't need?

Thanks.

#91 -Arjento-

-Arjento-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Damn, it won't let me edit the previous post.

What I also wish to find out is during the dos installation, it gave me the choice of using the widescreen mod, but I opted out of it just incase it messes with my BWP.

Any way to reactivate it? (I wish to try 1024x768 or even 1280x1024 if it can run it)

I found the folder "widescreen" but can't seem to "Open" an exe type file.

Thanks again.

Sorry for these n00b questions, just so excited that I finally got this beast on my system ready to go!

#92 -Arjento-

-Arjento-

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

I've actually been able to change the Resolution now, the DOS box was delaying a little.

#93 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

Did you try to run the Config-Tool by hand?
Did you start the game with the BGMain.exe, not the Baldur.exe?

You can try to run the BiG World Clea-Up.bat to remove files that are not needed after your installation.

Edited by dabus, 05 September 2009 - 12:25 AM.

#94 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:33 AM

Did you try to run the Config-Tool by hand?
Did you start the game with the BGMain.exe, not the Baldur.exe?

You can try to run the BiG World Clea-Up.bat to remove files that are not needed after your installation.

Ah, Thanks! :D When did it say that you had to run the game by BGmain.exe instead of the Baldur.exe? Oh well, now it worked! Thanks again :)

#95 anthony

anthony
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:35 AM

Hello!
I'm doing an english install, and I cant find a "Big world textpack" the instalation can't find that directory, there is the commandfile though, any ideas?

#96 EBlonsky

EBlonsky
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:43 AM

Hi All:
just installed BiG World last night.

Had the same problem as the earlier post - probs with BGT. Thought it installed, but I can only get BGII and TOB to run, no BG1.

Leaving for the weekend shortly, hope it works out! Great looking program!

Edited by EBlonsky, 05 September 2009 - 03:52 AM.

#97 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:54 AM

When did it say that you had to run the game by BGmain.exe instead of the Baldur.exe?

Well, I am quite sure the BGT's readme says so. Plus, the FAQ for the Megamods says so... :devil:
Why it says so is that the BGMain.exe starts the game, the baldur.exe just start the front end, from which you can start the game, but even in that case the computer just reads where the BGMain.exe might be in it's registry and then starts that one if it finds one.

Had the same problem as the earlier post - probs with BGT. Thought it installed, but I can only get BGII and TOB to run, no BG1.

WeiDU.log please, and attach the BiG World Debug.txt from the game directory, now if I were you, I would put it into a .zip archive and attach it... Now, it could be that it just didn't either install the BGT, or the BGT GUI which then leaves you to think that the BGT didn't install as the GUI is still the original and says: Start the BG2:SoA when it actually start the BG1.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 September 2009 - 04:52 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#98 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

@anthony: Please explain more detailed what you are doing.
English users don't need the textpack. It is not downloaded with the BWS and the installpack does not bother to search for it if you do English installations.

@EBlonsky: Have a look at the weidu.log and search for the BGT-line. If it includes a line like
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #SOMENUMBER #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - SOMETEXT
it is installed. You can start it from within the BG2-installation. If there's no such line, have a look at the Setup-BGT*.DEBUG files and see what's the message (if files are not copied) or upload these files in a compressed archive at the forums to have people have a look at it.

Edited by dabus, 05 September 2009 - 04:01 AM.

#99 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

As a general rule, people experiencing bugs should post atleast their WeiDU.log from the BGII-SoA folder, so that we may understand whether you have what you think you have :P

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#100 anthony

anthony
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:12 AM

[quote name='dabus' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:00 PM' post='461216']
@anthony: Please explain more detailed what you are doing.
English users don't need the textpack. It is not downloaded with the BWS and the installpack does not bother to search for it if you do English installations.

Hi Dabus, thanks for the reply. I'm doing an ordinary english install, when the actual installation starts it sudeenly comes to a halt, stating "can't locate the directory big world text pack make sure it resides in the current directory-push any key to continue