Photo

BiG World Setup

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#241 MatthewH86

MatthewH86
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

I tried going through each mod separately in Big World but half of the descriptions are completely wrong and are for a totally different mod. Also, editing the .bat file is like staring at gibberish, so I guess I'll have to manually go through and install things the way I want them. Oh well.

Unless you happen to be extremely lucky, a manual installation probably won't give you a stable game.

You are facing the same issue I had. I recommend persevering with the Big World Setup as its installation routine is a lot better than manually going through each mod and working out which components will affect others (I tried this as I wanted extra kits and different options for some tweaks, took 12+ hours and I had nothing to show for it except experience :P). There's also the fact that the BWS installs mods in varying different orders, as a single Mod might influence various different aspects of the game, with some sub-components needing to be installed at different points. Eg. Item_Revisions and Rogue_Rebalancing are spread through the install process for that reason.

Anyway my point is that you will gain the customization you desire and (most of) the stability needed for enjoyment by selectively editing the Big World Install.bat after selecting and extracting the mods using the BWS program. I made a post a few hours ago detailing some selective editing I attempted (which worked!) so that might help you.

I'd get a good Text/Code editing program like Notepad2 or Notepad++ as they have very handy syntax highlighting, and don't be afraid of being confused for the first few half-hours you stare at the batch file trying to puzzle it out. Once puzzled out it's very logical in what it does.

#242 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Unless you happen to be extremely lucky, a manual installation probably won't give you a stable game.

It's actually the other way around.

Edited by Daulmakan, 14 February 2010 - 05:31 PM.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#243 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

I've got a bit of a problem which should have solved itself, but it doesn't seem to have.

BiG World Setup doesn't seem to be updating from the 8.2 linklists, even though I've allowed it on my firewall and other such things. I'm on a university network so quite a few ports are blocked, which may be the problem? Other than that I can't really think of anything, and keep getting the message

"A test (ping) to verify you are connected to the internet failed.
The update process is cancelled."

Basically wondering if there's any way to update it other than trying from within the setup, which really isn't working?

I've read around but if a solution has been found I must have missed it.

Cheers

#244 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

Well, if a ping is not allowed, searching for ping and adjusting the code so a fixed positive value is returned would help.

Like line 464 and 617 in BiG World Setup\Includes\11_Net.au3 ;)

Old
$Ping = Ping('194.25.0.60', 1000); test if computer is online -- ip is a tcom-dns-server
If $Ping = 0 Then

New
$Ping=1; override the test
If $Ping = 0 Then

Edited by dabus, 15 February 2010 - 12:07 PM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#245 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Well, if a ping is not allowed, searching for ping and adjusting the code so a fixed positive value is returned would help.

Like line 464 and 617 in BiG World Setup\Includes\11_Net.au3 ;)

Old

$Ping = Ping('194.25.0.60', 1000); test if computer is online -- ip is a tcom-dns-server
If $Ping = 0 Then

New
$Ping=1; override the test
If $Ping = 0 Then

Thanks, I changed the lines you said but now I just get

The desired page could not be loaded.
Are you connected with the internet?
The update process for the current links is cancelled.

Slightly confused now.

#246 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

Look for the files in the "BiG World Download"-folder.
If it is an empty shell, I guess you use a proxy.
If there are other restrictions, the extraction may have failed for other reasons. Also look at the BiG World Setup\Logs-folder for hints about that.

If you use a proxy, get the info for wget and set it up.
Search the web and this site in particular for wget and proxy.

If you can't get it to work, catch the files from somewhere else.

Edited by dabus, 15 February 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#247 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Alright, I'll check it out in the morning.

Edited by Kaz, 15 February 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#248 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

I tried wget but nothing really made sense, however that could be put down to me being quite tired.

I've manually downloaded and unpacked all the mods I want into a seperate directory, so I'm considering a manual install. Would running the big world 8.3 install.bat require the unpacked mods to be in the same folder, or a sub folder? And would I have to manually "rem " each mod which I chose not to download from the install.bat?

Basically, what can I expect if I jam my chosen mods into the BGII - SoA directory and run the install.bat without any alterations? Or if that's just plain unworkable, what should I be doing instead?

#249 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

I've manually downloaded and unpacked all the mods I want into a separate directory, so I'm considering a manual install.

Manual setup... not installation. As you'll still be running the BiG World Install.bat, but everything upto that point you'll have to have done by yourself. Now don't worry, the BiG World Install.bat will not actually do anything irreversible if you don't have the basics right cause it will check that the BiGWorldfixpack is there, and you have few other proper files...

Would running the big world 8.3 install.bat require the unpacked mods to be in the same folder, or a sub folder?

Directly into the game folder, or you could do is to copy the mod files(mod folder and the setup-*modname*.exe and in some cases the setup-*modname*.tp2 if it's not inside the mod folder) to the game folder after you had exacted them to the separate folder.

And would I have to manually "rem " each mod which I chose not to download from the install.bat?

No, the BiG World Install.bat will check them before they are installed, so NO!

Basically, what can I expect if I jam my chosen mods into the BGII - SoA directory and run the install.bat without any alterations? Or if that's just plain unworkable, what should I be doing instead?

Well, it should install more than fine with manual setup... but you should expect that you'll have to insert the BG1 game folder to the command line if it's not in the 'C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate' -folder, but that's easy as you can use SPACEs etc.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 16 February 2010 - 11:55 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#250 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

I've manually downloaded and unpacked all the mods I want into a separate directory, so I'm considering a manual install.

Manual setup... not installation. As you'll still be running the BiG World Install.bat, but everything upto that point you'll have to have done by yourself. Now don't worry, the BiG World Install.bat will not actually do anything irreversible if you don't have the basics right cause it will check that the BiGWorldfixpack is there, and you have few other proper files...

Would running the big world 8.3 install.bat require the unpacked mods to be in the same folder, or a sub folder?

Directly into the game folder, or you could do is to copy the mod files(mod folder and the setup-*modname*.exe and in some cases the setup-*modname*.tp2 if it's not inside the mod folder) to the game folder after you had exacted them to the separate folder.

And would I have to manually "rem " each mod which I chose not to download from the install.bat?

No, the BiG World Install.bat will check them before they are installed, so NO!

Well, it should install more than fine with manual setup... but you should expect that you'll have to insert the BG1 game folder to the command line if it's not in the 'C:\Program Files\Interplay\Baldur's Gate' -folder, but that's easy as you can use SPACEs etc.

Thanks for that, copying everything into the main game directory now. I checked in the .bat and couldn't find a line containing the file path you specified so I assume that either something's already been done or it'll ask me later and I just misunderstood.
Going to run the install once it's all copied, hope it's a go :D

#251 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:46 AM

Well, it should install more than fine with manual setup... but you should expect that you'll have to insert the BG1 game folder to the command line if it's not in the 'C:\Program Files\Interplay\Baldur's Gate' -folder, but that's easy as you can use SPACEs etc.

Thanks for that, copying everything into the main game directory now. I checked in the .bat and couldn't find a line containing the file path you specified so I assume that either something's already been done or it'll ask me later and I just misunderstood.

The default is "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate" ;)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#252 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:03 AM

The actual default inserted command line is in a .bat file ...

Well, I remembered 2/3's of it... so he could have found it with the "Program Files" search. I did.

#253 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:40 AM

The actual default inserted command line is in a .bat file ...

Well, I remembered 2/3's of it... so he could have found it with the "Program Files" search. I did.

I thought so :) Did it anyway a bit after I posted.

Regrettably, after the install finished, I tried to run baldur.exe but it either CTD's instantly or the process just starts and quits without the window opening.

Weidu log

Dunno what's up.

#254 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

Regrettably, after the install finished, I tried to run baldur.exe but it either CTD's instantly or the process just starts and quits without the window opening.

Don't know, the BGMain.exe actually start the game, it should give you some kind of error report...

#255 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Don't know, the BGMain.exe actually start the game, it should give you some kind of error report...

Nope, tried running that but there's no error report. Process starts, stops, that's all. I might try reinstalling I guess, unless anyone knows what's going on.

#256 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

Can anyone tell me why the install script ejects the disc in my DVD drive? It just seems like rather strange behavior.

Edited by flinx, 17 February 2010 - 09:44 AM.

#257 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

Because the PDF tells you so. Don't ask me why. I don't get it either.

Edit:

It's copied from the BGT readme.

Ensure that no Baldur’s Gate-related CDs, DVDs, or virtual images are mounted in any of your CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or virtual drives. Failure to do this will likely result in errors during installation.

Edited by dabus, 17 February 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#258 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

Nope, tried running that but there's no error report. Process starts, stops, that's all. I might try reinstalling I guess, unless anyone knows what's going on.

You should have 'Logging On=1' in your baldur.ini file, which *usually* produces something in the baldur.err file. But not always.

Your install, the way it is, probably *will* crash, but only after creating/importing a character and loading the starting area for BG2 (it would probably still work for BG1... for a while at least). This is because somehow BWS allowed you to install optional components of Infinity Animations without installing the main component (a bit of a WeiDU bug reported here). And I suspect the main component failed because you didn't have all the requirements (the setup-infinityanimations.DEBUG file should tell you).

But it sounds like you have other major issues if BGMain.exe doesn't even bring up the menu screen, let alone character creation etc. If you didn't install biffing, it could take a while to launch (several minutes sometimes) but it looks like you installed that too (which may also make uninstalling/reinstalling something like Infinity Animations difficult).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#259 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Failure to do this will likely result in errors during installation.

And Assertion errors during game.

#260 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

Because the PDF tells you so. Don't ask me why. I don't get it either.

Edit:

It's copied from the BGT readme.

Ensure that no Baldur?s Gate-related CDs, DVDs, or virtual images are mounted in any of your CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or virtual drives. Failure to do this will likely result in errors during installation.

As in the original BGT? Not BGT-Weidu? If it really is a problem and not just outdated information, it's probably a good idea to actually figure out why it's happening, since nothing should access any other location but the BG2-SoA folder and subfolders during install anyway. If you do a complete installation like you're supposed to, there won't even be any references to the optical drive in Baldur.ini.