• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#161 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

I always thought the Gnoll Fortress would be great if it was set up with spawns similar to the Xvart Village from BP.

Do u mean with a "fixed" spawn as in the village area (so the castle area here)? (that's against the "aim" of the mod i believe).

Fennek ... u should try to reach the Gnoll fortress at level 3 or above, u'll see what a fortress is :whistling:

Anyway i'm going to think and change something for the fortress (new creatures maybe?). Any idea is appreciated ... 8) 8)

mm75

Edited by melkor_morgoth75, 01 June 2010 - 12:43 AM.

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#162 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:20 AM

Anyway i'm going to think and change something for the fortress (new creatures maybe?). Any idea is appreciated ...

Well, it's a gnoll fortress (or has been taken over by them) so it should have some gnoll sentries roaming the perimeter, maybe accompanied by a gnoll shaman or two.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#163 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

Gnoll Shamans sounds nice even if i don't believe Gnoll are so clever to understand and read something and ... the problem is ... facing them at lev 1 (just thinking about request) :wacko:

mm75

#164 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

How about Gnoll Taskmasters/Warlords/Jailors/Whelps/Enslavers/Torturers ... and a area-specific encounter (like the Vampiric Wolf) - the GNOLL KEEP GUARDIAN :ROFL: (is it too evident that I've been playin a lotta warcraft lately?? :lol:)

PS: Are Flinds included?? :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#165 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Yes Flind are included ... possible to "find" starting from Lev2 ;)

mm75

#166 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Gnoll Shamans sounds nice even if i don't believe Gnoll are so clever to understand and read something and ... the problem is ... facing them at lev 1 (just thinking about request)

Well if you're foolhardy enough to sneak out to the fortress at level 1, you better know what you're doing, which means you've probably loaded up on invis potions and/or oils of speed, so the buggers will never see you or catch you anyhow (though presumably spellcasters might have a true sight or the like if they *heard* someone).

And yes, gnolls can have shamans and aren't entirely stupid as they can have INT up to 14. But it might be cooler to give them battle priests and witch doctors (which they can also have, up to levels 9 and 5 respectively). Maybe a few shadow assassin scouts (yes, also a valid gnoll kit as per the 2e Complete Book of Humanoids) since they'd want to make sure no one breaches their perimeter. And yeah, a couple flinds to keep them in line. Overkill for level 1? Well considering you can get jumped by a bunch of hobgoblin shamans, wizards, and worse things long before you get to the fortress, I think not :D.

is it too evident that I've been playin a lotta warcraft lately??

Not the online version I hope. :o :new_bottom:

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#167 -Fennek-

-Fennek-

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

Well if you're foolhardy enough to sneak out to the fortress at level 1, you better know what you're doing, which means you've probably loaded up on invis potions and/or oils of speed, so the buggers will never see you or catch you anyhow (though presumably spellcasters might have a true sight or the like if they *heard* someone).

Hm... I did not use invisibility potions etc. The approach involved only brute force... Without resting. That's what I meant. 1-2 gnolls... shot down before they reach you (Kivan's an archer in my party... everybody has a bow / sling etc.; it's part one, after all; and Minsc has a problem with gnolls, anyway). Dogs? Not dangerous. Oger? Tough, but also possible to defeat, and seldom. What one should have is proper armour/shilds (armor class around 1 - -1) and ranged weapons. Even had I rested, there'd been no difference.

Anyway: I like Milochs idea... Although there should be no overkill, not everybody likes the game tough, I'd presume... (I got jumped by about 15 bandit archers and it was possible to defeat them without losses; simply brought the mage out of action and the other guys brought the bandits low...).

@melkor_morgoth75: I guess I'll be back there after a week has passed and I am at level 3 or 4 to say "Hello"... :D

#168 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

Gnoll Shamans sounds nice even if i don't believe Gnoll are so clever to understand and read something and ... the problem is ... facing them at lev 1 (just thinking about request) :wacko:

mm75

My good friend,

Gnolls do have Shamans in 2nd AD&D Forgotten Realms. :whistling:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#169 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

My good friend,

Gnolls do have Shamans in 2nd AD&D Forgotten Realms. :whistling:

My knoledge of AD&D lately has been toned down a lot i believe :whistling:

Ok then, let's go for some Shamans or Doctors :P

mm75

#170 -Zaha-

-Zaha-

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

Hi there, I've been playing with this mod as part of the Big World package for a couple days now, just wanted to firstly say thanks for your efforts, it certainly does add a challenge.

I think the only thing lacking is to perhaps be able to change the spawn rate slightly (unless this exists and I don't know about it), there are occasionally areas where it goes a bit mad- I've found myself on occasion fighting groups of 12 spawned orcs while also fighting some plot enemies, or I pop my head out of a dungeon and my mage gets shot by 6 archers before I know what's going on. I'm a little higher level now and have some better gear, so its not so bad, but there was a period when most of my game was 'load game, walk ten feet, be shot by archers, swear, load game, walk ten feet' etc. My own fault for having a mage with 10 hitpoints as my main character I guess.

Anyway, hope that didn't sound too critical, it's a very good mod overall.

Z

#171 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

Hi there, I've been playing with this mod as part of the Big World package for a couple days now, just wanted to firstly say thanks for your efforts, it certainly does add a challenge.

I think the only thing lacking is to perhaps be able to change the spawn rate slightly (unless this exists and I don't know about it), there are occasionally areas where it goes a bit mad- I've found myself on occasion fighting groups of 12 spawned orcs while also fighting some plot enemies, or I pop my head out of a dungeon and my mage gets shot by 6 archers before I know what's going on. I'm a little higher level now and have some better gear, so its not so bad, but there was a period when most of my game was 'load game, walk ten feet, be shot by archers, swear, load game, walk ten feet' etc. My own fault for having a mage with 10 hitpoints as my main character I guess.

Anyway, hope that didn't sound too critical, it's a very good mod overall.

Z

Please, do u have some more details? If u're playing a "solo" adventure, u should not face so many archers around at low levels. If u have some more info regarding the area where u believe it was too challenge and some more details about levels and your party, it would be of help to understand if something is wrong,

thanks for your help and nice words,

mm75

#172 -Zaha-

-Zaha-

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hey Melkor,

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I didn't really keep track of details, but I think the only area that really annoyed me so far was the whole Ulcaster School outdoor level. I believe I was going around there with a party with level 3 and 4s, and there were archers everywhere, it seemed- I encountered some skeletons on the far west of the map, and at the same time a shaman+ orcs group, and an archer group. (Fight didn't last long, since my mage was hit by all the archers). A lot of similar things happened in the area too, like fighting that revenant dude (the guy near the school entrance who drops a teleport rod) as well as orcs and a giant snake. Since my sleep spell was ineffective these encounters were really tough. I'd estimate I died about 20 times there, and I've played this game vanilla at least 10 times.

There were other places where the orcs were causing me trouble too, but I've forgotten exactly where, sorry. It seems like there are just a few places where the spawn points are maybe a bit too close together, so that if you have to move at all in the fight you have a big risk of ending up fighting huge numbers. There was a time when the damn kobolds with their exploding arrows were making me cry (walk walk walk, admire landscape, oops everyone's dead), but it's not a big problem anymore.

Also, I was just about to enter the Firewine Bridge outdoor area, and I had to run away, there were 3 trolls and a basilisk and 2 things I forget in combat with me as soon as I entered, with one of the trolls on my mage. Running away ftw!

Thanks for your time

Z

#173 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hey Melkor,

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I didn't really keep track of details, but I think the only area that really annoyed me so far was the whole Ulcaster School outdoor level. I believe I was going around there with a party with level 3 and 4s, and there were archers everywhere, it seemed- I encountered some skeletons on the far west of the map, and at the same time a shaman+ orcs group, and an archer group. (Fight didn't last long, since my mage was hit by all the archers). A lot of similar things happened in the area too, like fighting that revenant dude (the guy near the school entrance who drops a teleport rod) as well as orcs and a giant snake. Since my sleep spell was ineffective these encounters were really tough. I'd estimate I died about 20 times there, and I've played this game vanilla at least 10 times.

There were other places where the orcs were causing me trouble too, but I've forgotten exactly where, sorry. It seems like there are just a few places where the spawn points are maybe a bit too close together, so that if you have to move at all in the fight you have a big risk of ending up fighting huge numbers. There was a time when the damn kobolds with their exploding arrows were making me cry (walk walk walk, admire landscape, oops everyone's dead), but it's not a big problem anymore.

Also, I was just about to enter the Firewine Bridge outdoor area, and I had to run away, there were 3 trolls and a basilisk and 2 things I forget in combat with me as soon as I entered, with one of the trolls on my mage. Running away ftw!

Thanks for your time

Z

Well,

a couple of things here. I checked the files and at 3rd level u should only face (alone character) just 1 archer eventually. Then those 2 areas are the wildest possible in BG, so it's the aim of the mod to have them very very difficult to come across.
Are u sure u encounter so MANY archers when u were at 3rd level and alone? Eventually u should just ahve got 1 archer per spawn point ... but no more. May be a weidu log could be of help, i'm wondering if some mods adds some encounters to the areas...

mm75

#174 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6579 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

As for the kobold commandos, that is a vanilla game thing (though BGSpawn may add more). There's a component in the Aurora mod that makes them more "realistic" instead of the cheating little buggers that they are normally.

#175 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

@melkor_morgoth75
Any plans for the werewolf island and Durlag's Tower in BGSpawn 1.08? It's a bit empty in those areas without any BGSpawnpoints or vanilla spawnpoint behaviour.

If there are no plans for these areas, wouldn't it be better to exclude them from the area patching process?

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#176 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

@melkor_morgoth75
Any plans for the werewolf island and Durlag's Tower in BGSpawn 1.08? It's a bit empty in those areas without any BGSpawnpoints or vanilla spawnpoint behaviour.

If there are no plans for these areas, wouldn't it be better to exclude them from the area patching process?

10th

It would be great and it was my intention. Unfortuantely i don't have that much free time, but i'd like to add the system to TotSC as well.

Anyway, do u mean excluding the vertex referring to those areas? Eventually i can yes, bu doesn't harm i believe ...

mm75

#177 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

In ARD011.are for example, BGSpawn adds six script-triggered spawn points, FW05110-FW05115, with .bcs-files of the same name which don't exist.

Afair the original spawn points created these creatures:
- a Battle Horror/Doom Guard
- a group of huge spiders and phase spiders
- a group of phase and ghost spiders
- a horde of zombies
- a group with ghasts, ghouls and a phase spider
- a group of phase spiders

These spawn points are gone if you install BGSpawn. The next area with spawn points would be ARD014, the big area before the Demon Knight. It had afair various carrion crawlers, ghasts and ghouls and some spiders.

Other spawn point areas:
ARW000 - Werewolf village, just behind the wall were two bear spawnpoints
ARW012 - Underground passage to escape ship, various werewolf spawnpoints
ARW500 - Wolfwere island part, various wolf variety and wolfwere spawnpoints
ARD000 - outside Durlag's Tower, two doppelganger and greater doppelganger spawnpoints

10th

Edited by 10th, 09 August 2010 - 09:06 AM.

Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#178 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:05 AM

Ok, i'll keep that into consideration for the next release,

thanks!

mm75

#179 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Cool.

A bit of feedback here:

Random orc encounters with orc mages are definately the hardest random spawns you can get compared to other random encounters, if you've installed SCS II with maximum battle preparation for enemy spellcasters.

Those orc mages are level 12 and thanks to SCS II they start out with Stoneskin, Fireshield and Globe of Invulnerability, followed by Greater Malison and Chain Lightning.

10th

#180 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

There a two little known bugs in the use of mummy.cre and rogtro01.cre in BGSpawn.

Mummy.cre is the mummy used in Korgan's quest in BG2. If you are experienced enough in BG1 you can encounter one, which results in SPRITE_IS_DEADMUMMY. This in turn causes Korgan to stutter as soon as he joins your party, moreover he'll speak the second part of his two-part speech in AR0802 instead of the first part. This causes you to miss out on 11250 XP.

Using mummy01.cre would fix that.

The same applies to the use of rogtro01.cre. You can encounter one if you're experienced enough amongst others in the lighthouse area. This troll has the deathvar rogtro02, which is used in the mini quest of Roger the fence.

A "cloned" rogtro01.cre would fix that.

10th