Photo

BG2 - Sarevok Paperdoll

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 darthsabe

darthsabe
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

In the the Baldur?s Gate 2 ? Throne of Bhaal modification ?The Longer Road? (http://www.onlinefic...LongerRoad.html) Irenicus (as NPC) has a custom Inventar Paperdoll.

I do work on a mod which has the goal to restore the Original Sarevok as NPC in the addon. That means that I want to give him his classic outfit, his big mighty armor. It is easy to create items and change his ingame animation, but I have problems to give him an own paperdoll graphic (like in The Longer Road). The graphic work is not the problem, I have done a BAM-graphic and named it to ?usarinv.bam?. I have used ?The Longer Road? as demonstration material and think, that the Paperdoll of Irenicus was in some way linked to his ingame animation.

Can someone help me to link the paperdoll-BAM to Sarevok?s animation? Perhaps someone could write a short tutorial to do this?

The second question: I have used BAM-Workshop to create the paperdoll graphic. BAM-Workshop does reduce the graphic quality to a very low level (low color level), lesser than the original graphics from Bioware, I think. Is there any way to make it better, more color detail or however?

Perhaps someone could find the time for an answer,
Thanks!

Greetings from Germany, Niedersachsen/Wildeshausen, 09.09.2008
darthsabe

Links:
- Paperdoll of Irenicus from ?The Longer Road?: http://www.onlinefiction.net/Imask.jpg

- Paperdoll for Sarevok (Preview of my work/ Adobe Photoshop work): http://img292.images...aperdollmu6.jpg
Child of Bhaal

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

EDIT: No, wait, I'm dumb.

EDIT EDIT: The link is the file name. Since his avatar begins with USAR, placing that USARINV bam in the override folder should give anyone using Sarevok's avatar that paper doll. If it's not showing up, it may be a faulty bam.

As for the image quality, it's supposed to be 256 colours. Try reducing the colour depth before importing into BW, Photoshop (or whatever you're using) is probably better at that part of it.

(...wait, "eine spielpause beginnt..."? That's a lot more elaborate than the English version's plain "PAUSE". XD)

Edited by vilkacis, 09 September 2008 - 02:03 PM.

#3 darthsabe

darthsabe
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

At first, thank you for your help, vilkacis!

Here are a summary of my efforts:
  • First I copied my "usarinv.bam" into the override-folder. I gave my charakter the ingame animation of Sarevok, but there was not been showed up my custom paperdoll in inventar menu.
  • Another try: Experimental I took the "ireninv.bam" from "The Longer Road" and renamed the data name to "usarinv.bam". Then I repeated 1) and copied it into the override-folder. The same result: No paperdoll is showing up.
  • At next I took my original "usarinv.bam" and renamed the data name to "ireinv.bam". With the other data's from "The Longer Road" I copied it into the override-folder again. Then I gave my charakter the ingame animation of Irenicus to find out if my *.bam is valid - and it works. Every charakter with the ingame animation of Irenicus has my custom paperdoll.
Result:
My *.bam seem to be valid but the "linking" to Sarevok's ingame animation doesn't work.

Do you have other ideas to get it to work?
Child of Bhaal

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1334 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

The graphic work is not the problem, I have done a BAM-graphic and named it to ?usarinv.bam?.

Have you seen this? From what I have seen, the Infinity Engine will not use an inventory paperdoll with any animation that starts with a "u".

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 darthsabe

darthsabe
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

The graphic work is not the problem, I have done a BAM-graphic and named it to ?usarinv.bam?.

Have you seen this? From what I have seen, the Infinity Engine will not use an inventory paperdoll with any animation that starts with a "u".

I had not seen this thread before. That the IE do not use any inventory paperdoll with starts with a "u" is bad. I have read that you had had a similar goal like me and that the adding of new animations (overwriting an existing animation without the startletter "u") might be the solution of this problem. Do you had succeeded with that?
Child of Bhaal

#6 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1334 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

I had not seen this thread before. That the IE do not use any inventory paperdoll with starts with a "u" is bad. I have read that you had had a similar goal like me and that the adding of new animations (overwriting an existing animation without the startletter "u") might be the solution of this problem. Do you had succeeded with that?

No, I never tried it because of the widespread compatibility issues (a list) one would inevitably encounter (and because I am absolutely terrible at WeiDU coding). However, I think that theoretically, using one of the built-in extra animation slot would work, but I don?t guarantee it. You would probably have a better chance of success replacing one of the standard animations. For instance, you could replace every groundhog in the game with a rabbit and then add your animation to the groundhog slot.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

For instance, you could replace every groundhog in the game with a rabbit and ...

Do you mean that, updating the groundhog creatures to use the rabbits animation... or otherwise you'll just loose everything and the game. :whistling:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1334 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

For instance, you could replace every groundhog in the game with a rabbit and ...

Do you mean that, updating the groundhog creatures to use the rabbits animation... or otherwise you'll just loose everything and the game. :whistling:

I mean that every groundhog in a given area would be replaced with a rabbit. So, unless smashing groundhogs gives you more pleasure than smashing rabbits, you wouldn't lose anything but gain everything related to the new animation. (unless I've forgotten something important [which happens more often than I would like])

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#9 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

You might wreck the Sendai's Enclave wood, assquirrels and groundhogs are drow.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#10 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1334 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

You might wreck the Sendai's Enclave wood, assquirrels and groundhogs are drow.

Icen

How about pheasants then? My point was it would probably be OK to replace a relatively unimportant animation.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#11 nam3l3ss

nam3l3ss
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

Any progress with this mod? Is there a website for it, or maybe a thread somewhere?
(*casts raise dead on thread*)
About two times every year, I get this urge to make *the* perfect install (for me at least) of BGT: I haven't succeeded so far, always ran out of time at the point where it was almost complete.

No success so far, but I'll never give up. :)

#12 darthsabe

darthsabe
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

Finally I have managed to create a functioning inventory paperdoll graphic for Sarevok and integrate it into the game.

To make it work the latest version of IA (Infinity Animations) core mod must be installed. My thanks at this point to Erephine and the team of IA, who have improved the paperdoll support for existing animations!

The BAM must be copied into the override folder. In the result all creatures with Sarevok's animation will have the paperdoll graphic.

I have found the original Sarevok graphic on the net and not created myself. Therefore, I do not own rights to it. I brought it only in the appropriate format.

I put the BAM for free. Everyone likes to use as he pleases, even for mods of any kind. Over a mention in the credits I'd still look forward to.

Preview (small):

sarevok_ingame_vorschau.jpg

Preview (big):

http://www.baldursga...evok_ingame.jpg

Download BAM:

http://www.baldursga...ads/usar1inv.7z

Child of Bhaal

#13 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

i cant

#14 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

i need a moment here

#15 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

i don't even, i can't begin to

its

someone help me i dont know where to start

#16 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

i am at a loss for words

#17 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

four years

#18 darthsabe

darthsabe
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Today I also have made inventory icons (BAM) for Sarevok's equipment (helmet and armor).

Preview-Link:

Download:

http://www.baldursga...s/armor_helm.7z

Edited by darthsabe, 02 April 2014 - 08:33 AM.

Child of Bhaal

#19 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Finally I have managed to create a functioning inventory paperdoll graphic for Sarevok and integrate it into the game.

To make it work the latest version of IA (Infinity Animations) core mod must be installed. My thanks at this point to Erephine and the team of IA, who have improved the paperdoll support for existing animations!

The BAM must be copied into the override folder. In the result all creatures with Sarevok's animation will have the paperdoll graphic.

I have found the original Sarevok graphic on the net and not created myself. Therefore, I do not own rights to it. I brought it only in the appropriate format.

I put the BAM for free. Everyone likes to use as he pleases, even for mods of any kind. Over a mention in the credits I'd still look forward to.

Preview (small):

Preview (big):

Download BAM:

Edited by Roxanne, 07 September 2013 - 11:07 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#20 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Preview (small):

Preview (big):

Download BAM:

Edited by Roxanne, 07 September 2013 - 11:37 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*