• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#141 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

Keep in mind that *real people* often have one eye higher/of a different shape than the other. So in other words, it looks very realistic.

My cousin's a portrait artist professionally, and sometimes, to demonstrate to a client why it's important to choose the "good side," she'll hold a mirror up to reflect only half the face, then take a digital photograph, then move the mirror to reflect the other half the face and take another picture. Clients will be amazed that they look like two different people.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#142 Leila

Leila
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

Yay, Nalia with red hair! The only thing that bugs me is how volumous her hair is near the top, on the left side of the picture, and then it gets flatter because her face gets thinner. Looking at it a couple of times more makes it seem more natural, but it still looks kind of off.

Excellent work, though; She actually looks like a noble and not an insomniac.

#143 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

I was always confused as to why Nalia's avatar looked different in hair color to her portrait. Nice to finally see that resolved.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#144 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

I like them a lot! Very very cute :) I wanna hug Immy a whole lot :)

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#145 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

WOW! :woot: Great stuff! :clap:
Immy turned out very good with that new background and some leather on her. Or is it part of a cape? :unsure: Dammit, I guess I'll need that eye surgery... soon <_<
Her hair colour is MUCH better than before, it was a bit too bright. You also got the lighting great, her hair is the most realistic looking until now.
The only things still needing some work is the eye colour (still somewhat flashy, I'd make them more greyish blue), her pupils (just enlarge them some more) and her skin colour. The last point is the least important one though I liked her with pale skin as seen in this very picture http://urbanzebra.de...-BODHI-27287285 Now, whose work was that again? :) I love the shady dark purple cloak.
Otherwise it's a picture that improved greatly over time. Imoen's really gorgeous right now :wub: ...to think I didn't like it at first :doh:

To the one called Nalia:

I think her hair is fantastic, both the colour and the shape. It makes me squeal in ecstasy :Tasty: Brown for her eyes is a good choice as well. I miss some freckles though, I bet they would suit her nicely ^_^ No redheads without freckles, never ever :D
Her high cheekbones are a good idea to give her a more noble look, though I think you have to make her bridge a bit slimmer and shorter... maybe a snub nose? ^^ Combined with some freckles it sure would look cute.
Hmm, maybe you could also make her eyebrows slightly thinner. They look pretty much like Immy's. Now, that's not a bad thing mind you, but I think it's always good to have characters be as different as possible. Would also make her face even more female.
I'm looking forward to see which colours her clothes will have. Green always looks good for redheads.

:shifty: ... Anyone else for freckles?

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#146 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:12 AM

Getting there!

Love it! I was under the impression that Immy had grey eyes from her original portraits, but there's such a thing as artistic license, after all.

Oh, and love the Nalia portrait, too!

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#147 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback everybody!

I'm wanting to say no to freckles on Nalia - she is a noble, and noble red heads are rare enough as it is, and freckles would make her look peasant-ish. I fixed her eye and her nose a bit, that's really all I did this time. I hope I get to work on her more soon, and get her some clothing done.

nalia2.jpg

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#148 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

Love it! I was under the impression that Immy had grey eyes from her original portraits, but there's such a thing as artistic license, after all.

Strange, in BG2 she has greenish eyes, but I've forgotten about her previous portrait.
I'll see if I can dig em up and post em here and let everyone decide for themselves eh?

And yeah, you should definetly do things your own way Ilmy, that's what makes your artwork shine all the better. ^_^

Still looks a little cartoony, her hair is definetly matching closely with her avatar now, not as red as Imoen's (pink?) but close to the orange that it always appeared to look like.

I love it. I'd say the parts below the neck though could do with some more work, they look a bit unfinished if y'know what I mean. -_-

Keep up the good work. :cheers:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

~***~***~***~

#149 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

Oh my WOW! What beautiful work you've got here! Honestly, I'm completely and utterly in awe of your talent. *jealous* Who new Cernd was so dreamy, eh? ;)

I love all of them, and I can't thank you enough for putting all this effort in. I want to go up and hug each and every one of them (excluding Jaheira - I like my fingers unbroken, thanks) and I think that you're an absolutely amazing artist. :wub:

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

Nalia's cloak and buckle are absolutely fantastic. I think the angle of her face makes her look a bit ... odd, but the more I look at it, the more I think it looks fine.

#150 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

Much better, with the eye and nose!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#151 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:33 PM

Kewl, now that's one Nalia I wouldn't mind keeping around ^^

The original Nalia protrait kinda looked like my looney aunt, just a bit younger... O-o

#152 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:51 AM

Cool portraits. And, damn, your Yoshimo looks hot. And I like Imoen in as beat-up form as possible. :vbat:

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#153 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

Wow she's gorgeous! Nicely done Ilmatar!

#154 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

And I like Imoen in as beat-up form as possible. :vbat:

You WHAT? :woot:
That IS evil Bardess, meh anyways. :devil:
Here's the two portraits of the original Imoen, one from BG1 and BG2 that I said I'd look for.
BGImoen.jpg BGIImoen.jpg

They're bit big but that's mainly to prevent eyestrain. :rolleyes:
Hang on... why the staring. ;) No pun intended people. :P

~***~***~***~

#155 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 8348 posts

Donator

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

Eventhough most people dislike her first BG1 picture, I have to say it is probably my among my favorites still.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#156 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9200 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

Maybe enhance the shadows of Nalia's portrait a little? Aside from that, thumbs up :D

#157 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

Eventhough most people dislike her first BG1 picture, I have to say it is probably my among my favorites still.

I don't dislike her first picture. That raised eyebrow actually always makes me want to snicker. But even that cannot compare with PINK HAIR!

Anyways, Nalia's is looking good, except for her left eye looks a little big. Maybe just open a little too far. Think a lesser version of this man's trouble. :blink: Well without the blinking.

Also, have I mentioned enough how much I love your hair. You do it so splendidly. And looking forward to seeing her fully finished clothes, cause even her cloak looks stupendous.

Edited by Kellen, 20 August 2007 - 05:18 AM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#158 Feuille

Feuille
  • Modder
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:36 AM

I have to agree on the awesomeness of all the hair - especially Yoshimo's after silkiness-ifying. It's true Imoen's eyes are still a little bright; I can imagine they'd stand out quite a lot in smaller versions of the pictures too!

I'm so looking forward to all the others.

And Cernd, Cernd - he's awesome, especially the feathers. I like your interpretations!

Mystery, self-deception and shameless flirting. Rejoice, for the Luxley family is now released!

Sweet tooth? Why don't you try out Nathaniel? Now out for SoA and ToB!

#159 Ibis

Ibis

moonlit sleepless florida nights

• 114 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

Ilmatar, all of your portraits are delightful and I feel that they have an inner light and character-emotion that is more evident than in the original portrayals. That is just the vibe I get from your work. I love it.

Concerning Imoen and her pink hair = I think it is great! And if you look at the three portraits together ....

Posted Image

... you can see that Ilmatar's rendition is very true to the second BG2 pic of Imoen. As for the blue eyes, yes Ilmatar's are brighter but in the second picture her eyes could be a dark stormy blue or a brown, it's too hard to tell. Either way. The pink hair is gorgeous and really bumps up her character as to being reckless or deil-may-care. Perhaps you could add some of those string twirlies into her hair .. would that be too much trouble? Might make people see the reseblance a bit more.

But beautiful work on all of them and the guy with the feathers is a true hunk. Sorry i can't remember how to exactly spell his name and can't scroll back right now.

Edited by Ibis, 07 September 2007 - 10:41 AM.

Remember the Glory Days of Morrowind Mods? Visit Gamersroam Archival Download Library of 1032 old Morrowind Mods and take your pick. Just register and enjoy the good ole days!

#160 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

You mean Cernd?
Here's a rather big picture in case anyone wants another shot at him. Thank god for Google! :D

Edit: Twice... okay this is getting weird. :blink:

Attached Images

• Cernd.jpg

Edited by Solar's Harper, 08 September 2007 - 06:25 PM.

~***~***~***~