• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#121 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9200 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

Ooh, she's very pretty! I have to ask, though - would it be possible to do a version where she isn't smiling? Part of the reason I like the original portrait is the haunted look on her face, which I found very appealing and in character; this, to me, looks like ToB Imoen, where she's a lot more balanced, if still a little broken.

I have to say, though... :wub:

#122 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:43 AM

Well, making a not-smiling version would be a lot of work for it to look natural. I'd need to change the shape of the face and the eyes and cheeks as well as the mouth, so... :blink: Eep.

Thanks, Liam, glad you like it tho. :hug:

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#123 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:25 AM

Ooh, she's very pretty! I have to ask, though - would it be possible to do a version where she isn't smiling? Part of the reason I like the original portrait is the haunted look on her face, which I found very appealing and in character; this, to me, looks like ToB Imoen, where she's a lot more balanced, if still a little broken.

I second that :cheers: I'd also like to see her with a more brooding face (even if I most likely bring the artist's eternal wrath down upon me). A mischievious look would also be more like Imoen. I miss a certain slyness, something that does hint at her more roguish side. Couldn't she be winking at us? That'd be so cute :wub: And very imoenish :)

If I would be completely honest (which I ain't), I'd probably say that she looks very nice, friendly and cheerful, though erm.. kinda dense. Maybe it's just her eyes...
Glad I didn't say all that :whistling:

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#124 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

I've always felt a little sad whenever seeing the scar on Imoen's right eye. :crying: :(
Still the scar is in an odd way is still good, and not to mention that when you look closely it has a sort of lightning bolt like structure.
Curious that. ;)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#125 rpmaster

rpmaster
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

I know that i'm not first to say it, but Ilmatar - thanks for great work :coolthumb:
Jaheira, Cernd and Yoshimo are perfect, it's the best portraits for them i've ever seen.
Viconia... You decided to completely remake her portrait, but as for me her profile is very good too. The only thing i can suggest is the area below her neck - her dress - maybe it would be better to change it to chainmail
And Imoen - i cant tell exactly but something is strange with her portrait... maybe it's because i prefer her in BG1, not BG2 style - without scars, more childish looks.
However, thanks for your work with these portraits and good luck. Cant wait to see other BG2 NPCs (and maybe you will also want to make BG1 NPCs along with some generic portraits for additional mods NPCs 8) )

#126 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

And Imoen - i cant tell exactly but something is strange with her portrait... maybe it's because i prefer her in BG1, not BG2 style - without scars, more childish looks.

I'm surprised by your comment. I think Imoen looks much more like her BG1 persona here, despite the scar: Happy, smiling, young, not at all tortured, haunted and hurt like she is in BG2.

#127 rpmaster

rpmaster
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

I'm surprised by your comment. I think Imoen looks much more like her BG1 persona here, despite the scar: Happy, smiling, young, not at all tortured, haunted and hurt like she is in BG2.

Yes, you are right of course, excuse me if i wasn't very clear.
She is very good herself, but according to CC guide-
maybe it will be better to use more brown, not pink hair - it seems not very natural for me
maybe darker background - in both offical portraits it isnt very bright and it may add some contrast: her cheerful nature regardless of dark surrounding - especially in BG2 storyline.
Next, i wont recommend to remove the smile, but i think it should be more "innocent" (sorry if i'm not clear again, but i'm not an artist and cant say where to change size/colour etc in this part)

When i downloaded, inserted portrets to the game and composed the party of NPCs listed here - 4 earlier NPCs are - lets say - looks similiar, in one style. And Imoen looks somewhat different from rest of the party - the similiar feeling when you use your character portrait from BG1, but again, it's only my opinion and it may change when i play with these portraits more

Edited by rpmaster, 03 August 2007 - 01:29 AM.

#128 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:33 AM

I'll be honest, the Imoen from BG1 had a portrait that kinda freaked me out, that smile could NOT be trusted! <_<
It's a sad thing though to see the change that happened, a sad day even more so once I passed Irenicus's dungeon the first time...
But I ramble on, I think if she is shown being a bit more playful with her expression, not many would leave dissatisfied, I know I wouldn't. ^_^

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

~***~***~***~

#129 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:22 AM

Yeah, I also liked BG1's portrait better, even though that one wasn't exactly how I imagined her either. So I'm trying to make a mix between the two - to have the marks of torture (the scar, mostly) but still have her childlike happiness.

Yes, you are right of course, excuse me if i wasn't very clear.
She is very good herself, but according to CC guide-
maybe it will be better to use more brown, not pink hair - it seems not very natural for me
maybe darker background - in both offical portraits it isnt very bright and it may add some contrast: her cheerful nature regardless of dark surrounding - especially in BG2 storyline.
Next, i wont recommend to remove the smile, but i think it should be more "innocent" (sorry if i'm not clear again, but i'm not an artist and cant say where to change size/colour etc in this part)

When i downloaded, inserted portrets to the game and composed the party of NPCs listed here - 4 earlier NPCs are - lets say - looks similiar, in one style. And Imoen looks somewhat different from rest of the party - the similiar feeling when you use your character portrait from BG1, but again, it's only my opinion and it may change when i play with these portraits more

Okay, it seems I have to say this one more time... Imoen is UNFINISHED. And I will make only one version of each portrait, I think, because I can't possibly please everyone. :wacko: So, hair stays pink and the smile stays also, I'm sorry. And of course I haven't even touched the background or the clothes yet, so... do come back later to see what she looks like when I've worked on it more.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#130 rpmaster

rpmaster
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:34 AM

Okay, it seems I have to say this one more time... Imoen is UNFINISHED. And I will make only one version of each portrait, I think, because I can't possibly please everyone. So, hair stays pink and the smile stays also, I'm sorry. And of course I haven't even touched the background or the clothes yet

No need to be sorry - everyone understands that we don't demand anything, we simply suggest what may (ot may not) make NPCs look better.
You say you will make only one version of each, but you mean final version, while we have 2 Jaheiras, 4 Cernds, 5 Yoshimos here (if i'm not mistaken) and somebody may prefer that older variants. And I believe that you wouldn't object if somebody makes minor changes to your work (but for exclusively pesonal use of course).

#131 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

Well, I don't see them as "older variants" - I see the other versions unfinished and thus greatly inferior to the finished pieces.

Changes for personal use is okay - but I do suggest you wait until I've done all the portraits and made a pack of them. I plan on revisiting and fixing every and each one of the portraits when they're done, before making the final portrait pack. This is simply the development topic, you see. :)

#132 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

I LOVE the new Immy! She looks so happy and cheery ^_^ It makes me want to hug her =3

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#133 Clary

Clary
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

I have to say I like the smile. Even though Imoen is more troubled in BG2, she's still not all doom and gloom. I always thought it would be nice to have a portrait where she's not scowling at you all the time. :lol:

#134 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:32 AM

Getting there!

imoen4.jpg

#135 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

*Approves of the changes and acknowledges t3h improvement* ^^

#136 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

Aw she keeps looking better all the time.
Little wonder why she can get away with so many pranks on me. :lol:

Edit: Incidentily, weren't Imoen's eyes originally greenish.
Ah well I like this ocean blue version better.
Look foward to seeing the final result Ilmy.

Edited by Solar's Harper, 14 August 2007 - 11:23 AM.

~***~***~***~

#137 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

I'll note that her eyes still kinda creep me out with their brightness, but other than that, I'd be nothing but happy to the extreme with her.

Sarry has glowy gold eyes, Immy glowy blue... :D
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#138 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

Whoo! Good to hear you like her. Here's what I got on Nalia so far. Unfinished, as everyone can cleary see.

nalia1.jpg

#139 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Very nice, but it looks like her right eye might be set a little too high.

I really like the cloak pin and the hair.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#140 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, I had major problems with the eyes. Have to tweak some more then! Thanks for the feedback, b! :)