• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#161 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Sorry, Solstice-Edwin and Alexandria would not be able to coexist peacefully, and a romance would have been out of the question. I really like Edwin, but he just wouldn't fit this group. I felt a little sad about killing him, but then I remembered Ilmatar's Valentine's Day joke, so blame her. :devil:

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#162 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

What was this joke Tempest, and where can it be found?

#163 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Check #2. The little scene with Jaina and Annie was also a barb at her-Jaina was the protagonist of a BG fanfic she started a while back, and Annie is a PbP character of hers. :) All in good fun.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#164 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

I love your new chapters, Tempest. I just played catch-up once again. The scenes with Selune were beautiful, and the dream was haunting at the end. As always, the way you play with canon to create those dreams just works wonderfully for the story.

I'm also beginning to like Alexandria more and more, and I can't wait to see what happens and how they face Sarevok. So keep up the good work!

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#165 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

I intend to. :)

I'm pretty sure that by now, I'm in the ballpark of ten chapters from the end of At Soul's Edge, depending on how much stuff I write that's not directly related to the plot, and depending on how far I stretch some things out-Candlekeep, for example, could be anywhere between two and four chapters long, depending on the way things go when I write it.

Oh, and just as a word of forewarning, don't expect all loose ends to be tied up in ASE. I'm going to try to flow into the BG2 portion of the tale as naturally as possible, and my bag of tricks is nowhere near empty... :whistling:

#166 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

You have a bag of tricks Tempest? That hardly seems sporting. It's like hitting your story with a wand of wonder and hoping for the best. :P

don't expect all loose ends to be tied up in ASE. I'm going to try to flow into the BG2 portion of the tale as naturally as possible

Sounds good but I'm curious as to where that leaves Tales of the Sword Coast? Will Alex and co be exploring the expansions storyline at all?

#167 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

You have a bag of tricks Tempest? That hardly seems sporting. It's like hitting your story with a wand of wonder and hoping for the best

This particular wand of wonder's been rigged. I've had subplots running for a good fifteen chapters or so that you don't even know are subplots and won't be concluded until near the end of the SoA portion. :ph34r:

Sounds good but I'm curious as to where that leaves Tales of the Sword Coast? Will Alex and co be exploring the expansions storyline at all?

Nope. I don't have TotSC, and since I understand that it has no real influence on the BG1 or BG2 storyline at all, I'm content to skip it. At Soul's Edge will end with Alexandria's ambush and capture by unknown assailants.

#168 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

No, you aren't missing much by skipping Tales of the Sword Coast. But I'm looking forward to the tricks lying in wait-I'm guessing Nalia will show up again at some point, and was I seeing things, or were you inserting references to Valygar? :whistling:
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#169 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Dun dun duuuun. :) Nice introduction of Tamoko, but I thought it was odd that Imoen didn't say anything when Tamoko said Sarevok was heading to Candlekeep. Good stuff as usual.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#170 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Chapter 32 is scheduled to pick up right where this chapter ended-I just decided to end the chapter there rather than go on for another big section. You'll see all of the crew's reactions then. Looks like it will be one more chapter to wrap up Baldur's Gate, then off to Candlekeep. And we all know what that means. :devil:

#171 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:37 AM

Whoah... powerful chapter, Tempest, especially when we take into consideration the arrival of a certain female character...

I love the way you've worked her into it. And your descriptions of Scar, Eltan, and the others. And now, seeing as you've adapted each area of BG to your fic so uniquely, I am very intrigued as to how Candlekeep will play out...

In short, I can't wait to see more. :)

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#172 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well, the next chapter is scheduled to have a brief respite from the grim seriousness, in addition to the usual dosage of darkness. And I must admit that as a writer, it's fun to write the protagonist getting the living daylights beaten out of her every once in a while. :)

#173 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:01 AM

Hi, Tempest.

I'm the newcomer to fantasy fiction who asked SHS members to recommend some good fantasy writers, which they kindly did. I've been reading Terry Pratchett and I decided: "Hey, this is fun! Gimme more!" After reading just the first chapter of your work I'd say: "Hey, this is fun! Gimme more!"

If Pratchett is an example of a good humorous fantasy writer, then I'm delighted to have made my acquaintance with him.

If Tempest is an example of a more serious fantasy writer, then I'm looking forward to reading more Tempest. You have certainly locked me into "At Soul's Edge".

I see that some of the early commentators suggested your characters were inadequately fleshed out in Chapter I, the opening events were handled too superficially, and you were somehow breaking the rules by choosing the type of protagonist you did. In my opinion: Nonsense! Your writing is good enough and you've put in enough hooks for me to be eager to dive into Chapter II. It's not as if you have to lay bare the nature of the protagonist or describe other characters' reactions exhaustively in the first thousand words of what will be at least a novelette. As for your choice of main character, I greatly look forward to following the adventures of a completely new type of protagonist with abilities I haven't encountered in the game.

According to your profile you're 19 years old. As someone who was an editor and publisher for as many years as you've been alive, and as a professional writer for twice that time, I hope you're going to continue writing seriously. And marketing yourself to commercial agents and publishers. And keeping us entertained by giving us more of your writing in this SHS forum.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#174 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Sorry, just a civil engineering student with way too much time on his hands. :) Alexandria and the rest of the cast have gotten more fleshed out over the course of the story (well, Khalid aside).

And a teaser for chapter 32: going to have a few more light-hearted moments. Quite possibly including a drunk Imoen. :devil:

#175 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

Nice tribute there Tempest.

The chapter was good (as was the last one, dont think I commented on it), especially like your representation of Tamoko.

#176 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Well, I've counted up the chapters remaining until the end of ASE, and I'm down to just six, unless I decide to stick another in there somewhere or split one up. After that, it will be on to ASE, Book Two: Malleus Animorum :)

The Gary Gygax tribute was directly inspired by the Order of the Stick-he deserved it. After all, Alexandria and company wouldn't exist if not for him.

#177 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

Malleus Animorum? That means something I'm guessing.

#178 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

It's Latin for "Hammer of Souls". Forgive my occasional penchant for being overly dramatic. :)

#179 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

• 344 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

It's Latin for "Hammer of Souls". Forgive my occasional penchant for being overly dramatic. :)

haha, no need to apologise for being able to use latin <_< hehe

Speaking of latin, does Diversus Eminor translate into Dangerous Enemy?

#180 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

Don't know. :) Took four years of latin in high school, including a college credit course, but that was two and a half years ago. But just mentioning now, since it may cause confusion in the future (you'll it know when I post the chapter), that Eversor is latin for "destroyer".