Comments on At Soul's Edge

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#81 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:28 AM

Tempest? Writing something light-hearted? I think I'm going to have a stroke...
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#82 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

Hey come on Sol, light-hearted seems to have played a silent hand in some of the previous chapters, can't see why it should stop now ^_^
ok I'm done joking. :lol:

Ooo! Immy's taking centre stage is she? Now you've got me interested ^_^ just remember to make her keep her wits Tempest, I know many writers out there are almost dying for a chance to make her seem light-headed, and often it comes across the wrong way. ;)

On a Soul's Edge here buddy... :lol:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#83 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:30 AM

Yes, Solar, the next chapter is the party's departure from the Inn, but on their way out, they're going to meet a couple of familiar faces, and Imoen will get a moment in the spotlight. And as for keeping her wits, well... let's just say her first attempt at casting a spell won't be the most auspicuous in the world. :whistling:

Honestly, it will probably be several days before I get the next chapter (tentative title:
Spoiler
) out. I've just gotten back this morning from attending a friend's sister's wedding, and I have homework for various classes to catch up on.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#84 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

Aw congrats to your friend's sister then Tempest. :cheers:

And I know what ya mean about homework, gots a whole tankload of it myself piled up because of recent absence. -_- And I bet there is a SAC (School Assessment Criteria, did I get it right this time?) also for me to do, go figure. ;)

Anyways lastly: Oi! Don't spill the beans just yet :lol: ruins the fun later on. ^_^

And look foward to making sure that taste stays in come submission time. :)
Anyways I'm back on the edge again. :lol:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

~***~***~***~

#85 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:53 AM

Oh, it will be in taste (as much as that's possible, once you see who Alexandria & Co are going to run into on their way out of the Inn), and it will actually explain a couple of things. :)

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#86 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

From the title, I can guess who might be showing up.
Spoiler
. Always eager for more. :)
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#87 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Not quite, Sol.
Spoiler
. Now if you will stop pestering me and let me get back to my calculus homework, the faster the next chapter will come out. :)

#88 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:30 PM

Anyone know of a word processor that autosaves at regular intervals? I was just getting ready to copy & paste the next chapter in when the power went out during a bad thunderstorm, and I didn't think to save my work. I promise to have it redone and out tonight!

#89 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Hey Tempest! Just catching up on your fine work... sorry I haven't been reviewing lately; my real life has been piled to the top with homework and study and will be for the next two and a half months. But still, very nice new chapters! I especially enjoyed the depiction of Alexandria in the last chapter, I don't know why. I also like how you wove Sarevok into Officer Donos' tale as well. It just worked so *right*. And your personal take on the dreams and the plot are making me itch to play BGI again.

By the way, I don't know what word processor you're using, but Microsoft Word *does* autosave every so often. *pat, pat* on the losing your work... >.<;;. I know how awful that can be.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#90 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:10 AM

You know what's coming next, Tempest :D

Great work again buddy! :cheers:

Intriguing debate about politics between Jaheria and Alexandria, and Jaheria certainly still sounds like her old Harper self before BG2's events cause all kinds of changes.
And the appearance of Haer'Dalis sure was a suprise, but if that sparrow calls me my raven or something like that... confound it all I started talking like him again! :lol:

And btw, loved that lil explaination about Immy's new hairstyle. Her sugarness is looking all the prettier now. ^_^

Anyways, looks like the last matters at the Friendly Arm have been taken care of, so look foward to seeing the next chapter in Cloakwood.
And again, it'd be very interesting to see how Jaheria handles those Shadow Druids, among other things. ^_^

Oh, and nice try in diverting the audience into thinking Alexandria would go for religion THAT easily. You almost had me there. :D :P

Edit:

About MWord, like many other word document things it can be a pain of a thing, never use a file under its format in emails, that's my opinion, chances are incompatabilites will follow eventually, I've lost work to such things. :(

And another thing, after running awhile it becomes a real pest when it comes to correcting work, either it will try to do it for you and give you the wrong result, or it will force you to save, exit then fix the damn sentences otherwise you'll literally overwrite your work. :angry:

And I know that happens sometimes when typing in posts here too. ;)
Sorry but 'tis true, happened yesterday. :(

Edited by Solar's Harper, 08 September 2007 - 01:17 AM.

~***~***~***~

#91 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

Hey Tempest! Just catching up on your fine work... sorry I haven't been reviewing lately; my real life has been piled to the top with homework and study and will be for the next two and a half months. But still, very nice new chapters! I especially enjoyed the depiction of Alexandria in the last chapter, I don't know why. I also like how you wove Sarevok into Officer Donos' tale as well. It just worked so *right*. And your personal take on the dreams and the plot are making me itch to play BGI again.

Beneath a Sea of Stars is, I feel, one of my better peaceful chapters. It's the first time she's taken to really think about how far she's come since leaving Candlekeep-she's already being called a hero[ine] by some people. I liked tossing that bit about Sarevok in as well-it's not portrayed terribly well in the game, but he's supposed to be very charismatic, and he is very well regarded by most people. There aren't the whispers of corruption about him like there are with the Roenalls, and the idea that he's the one who's actually behind the whole mess is supposed to come as a bit of a shock. Granted, Alexandria doesn't care too much for politics, and won't give a damn whether Sarevok is beloved or hated by the populace when she finds out that he's her main enemy.

Intriguing debate about politics between Jaheria and Alexandria, and Jaheria certainly still sounds like her old Harper self before BG2's events cause all kinds of changes.

Jaheira's chats with Alexandria will be interesting in the BG2 section, that's for certain.

And the appearance of Haer'Dalis sure was a suprise, but if that sparrow calls me my raven or something like that... confound it all I started talking like him again!

I just couldn't resist making a scene with Haer'Dalis-he's so over the top compared to everyone in the party that it was a lot of fun to write that scene, especially how he semi-randomly kisses Imoen and disappears. I'm not sure if he'll pop up again down the line or not-he's fun to write, but also difficult for me to write. Then again, he'd fit with the group I have planned for the BG2 section, and he'll be a good avenue for a couple of things I'm really interested in doing to poor Alexandria...

And btw, loved that lil explaination about Immy's new hairstyle. Her sugarness is looking all the prettier now.

There is no way in hell that Imoen would do something like changing her hair color without making a goofy scene of it. I think Toril breathes easier, knowing that by the time she develops *real* magical power, she's no longer a general safety hazard.

Anyways, looks like the last matters at the Friendly Arm have been taken care of, so look foward to seeing the next chapter in Cloakwood.
And again, it'd be very interesting to see how Jaheria handles those Shadow Druids, among other things.

Not sure how big of an encounter they'll have with the Shadow Druids, to be honest. There are two big encounters I have planned for the Cloakwood, but I suppose I might be able to squeeze the druids in.

Oh, and nice try in diverting the audience into thinking Alexandria would go for religion THAT easily. You almost had me there.

Could you really see Alexandria becoming a Lliiran? Imoen, certainly, but her elder sister isn't terribly into the whole joy and revelry gig.

#92 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

Lions and Tigers and Bards (oh my!) was as enjoyable as ever. Loved the Imoen-Garrick-Haer'Dalis scene.

#93 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

Chapter XIX is now underway. I'm currently planning on the Cloakwood taking about three chapters altogether before the assault on the mines begins, but that number could easily grow or shrink. There's one encounter in particular that awaits Alexandria that isn't canon, but it, too, will play an important role in a subplot that's already wormed its way into Alexandria's tale (and it has nothing to do with the Roenalls, religion, Angelo, or Semaj... maybe). :whistling:

#94 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

Oh, stop being so cryptic!

Could you really see Alexandria becoming a Lliiran? Imoen, certainly, but her elder sister isn't terribly into the whole joy and revelry gig.

A better question would be "Could you really see me writing a devout follower of Lliira convincingly?" :P

#95 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

Well, I'm hoping to have chapter 19 out tomorrow. Unfortunately, I've had shadow druids on the brain recently, and those wanting a real shadow druid-heavy story will have to wait for something special I have planned that doesn't involve Alexandria's tale. Shadow druids are notoriously secretive, and in this case, they don't actually have any reason to want to harm Alexandria or her friends. I'm going to be reviving an older fanfic project of mine that deals directly with the complexities of druids and shadow druids-Cold Fire is going to be getting at least one more chapter.

Chapter 19 of ASE is turning into another talk-heavy chapter, I'm afraid. Action junkies won't have terribly long to wait-chapter 20, as currently planned, is going to another combat-focused chapter (three guesses on what the big fight will be).

#96 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Okay, it's tomorrow. *Pokes*

#97 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

*Checks clock*

Still got an hour to get this out on time. :) I've actually written chapter 19 already... about four times. I'm just never satisfied with what comes out so I scrap it and start all over. Never had a case of writer's block this bad in ASE's history. At present, though, it's another chapter of virtually solid talking-in this case, with Ajantis.

#98 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

Ah well knew it'd happen sooner or later. :( *resists urge to kill my own writers block*

Still you'd be willing to give Tempest a bit more time won'tcha Sol? ;)

~***~***~***~

#99 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

I think I'm just going to have to split things up. Another page or two of chatter in MS Word between Alexandria and Ajantis and I think I'll call it a chapter.

#100 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:16 PM

Okay, scratch that. Think I'm on the right track with this now, though it may upset some long-laid plans down the road. It depends on just how far I end up taking this particular idea and how cruel I feel like being to Alexandria. :devil: