• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#201 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

I've been under a great deal of real life stress the last month or so, and to be honest, I've noticed that the quality of my writing has suffed from it (the last chapter of ASE is a good example). The next chapter is going to be an extremely important one, and I want to make sure I'm at my best when I write it.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#202 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

I've been under a great deal of real life stress the last month or so, and to be honest, I've noticed that the quality of my writing has suffed from it (the last chapter of ASE is a good example). The next chapter is going to be an extremely important one, and I want to make sure I'm at my best when I write it.

I think you were at you better at least when you wrote the last chapter. The discussion with Bhaal is simply superb. Congratulations!

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#203 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Truth be told Tempest I was growing slightly impatient waiting for your next chapter, but man the wait was worth it!!!! :D :crying:

As quinlan said, the discussion between Alex and Bhaal was superb, capturing the Lord of Murder's 'Lawful' essence as opposed to depiciting him as some kind of mindless murderer (which often happens in other stories). The Alex/Ajantis scene was also heart breakinly lovely as well. So emotional.

Loved the use of the modified 'Amazing Grace' as well. Very moving. :)

#204 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

That was one chapter I wanted to make sure I was well rested and in top writing condition for. :)

The conversation with Bhaal definitely stands out as one of my favorite things in all of ASE to write. You don't become a deity by being stupid or mindless (exceptions like Garagos aside), and I really wanted to bring out that Bhaal was highly intelligent and a very canny thinker, rather than a mindless bloodthirsty maniac. He was truly interesting to write-and fun, to boot.

Alexandria/Ajantis I wasn't real happy with, in terms of writing quality. Character interaction, especially romance, has always been one of my weakest areas as a writer, and I thought it became painfully obvious there. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

The use of Amazing Grace was actually the result of good fortune-I started laying out Pandora Unchained about three weeks ago, then titled Sins of the Father, and in church on Sunday, the song during the offeratory was Amazing Grace, which struck me as absolutely perfect for ASE in general, and Alexandria in particular. A few modifications to make it a song of praise to Selune, and it was done. :)

Beware. At Soul's Edge is down to about four more chapters. Possibly five or six depending if I break up one or two chapters into two separate ones. But this storm is nearly finished. And then, that's when things are going to get interesting, with ASE, Book Two: Malleus Animorum. :ph34r:

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#205 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Tsk, Bhaal being ever so evil, yet if you ask me it looked like he was dressing up his former portfolio as well. ;)

Can't really say anything different to what Dark Mage has, so I'll just pro-offer cookies - I won't say how I accquired them, lest I be moosed. :ph34r:

Also:

?I told you there always comes a time when one must choose between what one knows is right, and what one [/I]feels[/I] is right. Alexandria, I love you.?

Just a tiny problem with the italics. :)

Nice work again Tempest. :cheers:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#206 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Simply wonderful, Tempest, and well worth the wait. :)
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#207 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Just a tiny problem with the italics.

Fixed, thank you.

And thanks again, y'all. I'm already laying out chapter 37: You Take the High Road. The end is nigh. :)

#208 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:42 AM

Wow. That was definitely worth the wait. And I'll just reinforce what everyone's already mentioned here by saying that not only was the Bhaal talk superb (you really have a wonderful knack for the philosophical!), I actually thought the Alex/Ajantis scene worked really well. It also made me vow to never have him in my party...

Can't wait to see how you'll wrap this one up, Tempest. It's been a great road so far. ^_^

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#209 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:10 AM

Heh. My Ajantis isn't quite like the one in the BG NPC Project. :) Also, the next chapter will clear this up, but I'll make it known now: Ajantis has left the party. Whether this will be permanent, of course, remains to be seen.

And I'll also confess that I'm having a hard time writing this next chapter, simply because I'm in a hurry to get to the one after it. So in advance, forgive me if it feels a little rushed. :)

#210 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

Man, what a time to leave the party though :ph34r:

#211 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

Just an fyi: I'm hoping to have the next chapter out today or tomorrow. Got bogged down by other stuff that's been eating up my free time, but I'm back on track. :) Sorry for being so unreliable.

#212 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:10 AM

Good new chapter, Tempest... even though there wasn't much in terms of high-speed thrills, it was a great breath of quiet before the big battle and after the emotional turmoil last chapter. I like how you've twisted the happenings so well, and especially the group's entrance into Baldur's Gate! That last part of your chapter really sets up the tension... I hope you don't leave us hanging as long as last time! :D ^_^

#213 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:16 AM

Not a chance. :) Already got two pages of Chapter 38: Domino Theory written up. Expect lots of familiar faces, from Nalia and Anomen to a few cameos and the continuation of a major subplot.

Domino Theory will be the second or third to last chapter barring the epilogue, depending on whether I split the one afterwards into two chapters or not. :ph34r:

#214 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

Good new chapter, Tempest... even though there wasn't much in terms of high-speed thrills, it was a great breath of quiet before the big battle and after the emotional turmoil last chapter. I like how you've twisted the happenings so well, and especially the group's entrance into Baldur's Gate! That last part of your chapter really sets up the tension... I hope you don't leave us hanging as long as last time! :D ^_^

Yes, my thought, too. The sewer sequence was described very well. I could form pictures in my mind while reading it.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#215 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

As always, loved your careful descriptions of everything, and the exchanges with Imoen and Khalid. The underwater approach was a nice touch, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the finale.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#216 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

Wow, and so it starts again... the addition of a few familiar faces was interesting to see, although I was surprised Alexandria would deactivate it so quickly. The last part was sad, but understandable, and I liked the way you wove in so many characters we were already acquainted with. I can't wait to see the showdown!

#217 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:28 AM

Lucky you, I realized it's been almost a year to the day since I posted my first chapter of ASE, so I'm going to do my damndest to finish the showdown and post it by the first of June. :) There will be an epilogue chapter afterwards, but the next chapter is the showdown.

And you can safely bet this isn't the last the party's seen of Moira. :whistling:

#218 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:06 AM

My apologies for not getting chapter 39 out yesterday-and possibly not in the next couple of days. Yesterday morning, a virus slipped past my computer's firewalls, and either it was the trojan from hell or it accidentally set off a lot of problems. Short version is that my computer is out of commission-logged in on a friend's computer. :(

#219 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

Damn, that sounds awful. *pat, pat*. Hopefully the virus thing can get cleared up soon - I'm sure we all understand how annoying they can be. Until then, don't worry about the guilt; I'm sure that we'll get our share of ASE once your computer's okay again. :)

#220 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

Where there's a will, there's a way. :) Rewrote Chapter 39 from scratch on another computer.

For the future of ASE, there's going to be one more chapter/epilogue, then I'm going to start ASE, Book Two: Malleus Animorum, in another thread to keep things from getting too cluttered.