Photo

Holy Symbol of Helm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

Incredible, unstoppable titan of terror!

• 1123 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:37 AM

When Anomen received his Holy Symbol of Helm, of course he couldn't use it because it's designed for Neutral clerics and paladins can only be Lawful Good, right? So, I thought to myself: That's stupid. Why would Helm give his servant a token of his good will knowing in advance he wouldn't be able to use it? "Here's your reward ... SUCKA!!"

So I go into Infinity and change the "unusable by" specs to allow for lawfu good use. That went fine and Anomen was able to use his symbol. But that wasn't good enough, was it? Oh no. I decided to change the "item description" to read that it was usable by clerics.

Problem is that I didn't make a copy of the original file before I saved it, and I made a mistake saving the file the 2nd time. So now the game crashes every time I try to equip Anomen (or anyone else) with the item.

I tried restoring the dialog.tlk file and then resaving the belt13 file. Both efforts appear to be successful in Infinity, but the game still crashes.

I suppose I could re-install the game, but whenever I do that I lose the ability to pick up my current saved game where I left off. If I knew there was a mod with a copy of the file I could reinstall that, but I don't know whether there is a mod with a copy of that file in it.

I'm thinking that if I could get an uncorrupted version of the original belt13 item file I could overwrite just that, restore my dialog.tlk again and it would probably work. Yes? No? Maybe?

Anybody have suggestions or a copy of the file?
All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#2 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

For the record, this matter is handled by Divine Remix, as well as many other things.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#3 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Grim. :)

Do you know whether the file will be restored when I install this mod? (which I'll install regardless because I like the description)
All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. -- Albert Camus

#4 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:19 AM

Actually, no, as DR patches the existing item, so whatever's causing the crash will still be there.

Delete belt13.itm in your override folder--this will cause the game to use the unaltered belt13.itm from the biffs. You'll need to re-do your changes, but it'll be fixed. :)

Edited by CamDawg, 01 December 2005 - 09:19 AM.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#5 Plasmocat

Plasmocat

• 1123 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

Thanks, Cam! :cheers: