My BP-BGT-NeJ-CtB-SoBH-DSotSC Run of SoBH

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:17 AM

I have just finished running through the Secret of Bonehill with the 'big' build (see my sig) and apart from all the bugs that have been reported so far that I have also experienced (and fixed up in some cases, like the missing file BH0502.are and Fabio's little angry tavernwench), there are couple of StrRef/dialogue errors that may have only been introduced with my build of BGII.

Some that I have found and were quite obvious were:

GELPAS (in BHGELPAS.DLG)
After the following text (StrRef:128206):

No.  Personally, I think it is all rumor and hog wash.  There is nothing here that my guards can't handle.  As such, I will be keeping a close eye on you since you are not needed.  Don't do anything to insult the baron or this town!

You only have the option "I wouldn't dream of it", which leads on to Gelpas saying "Good". Then, the only option is to end the dialogue, and Gelpas doesn't particularly want to speak with you ever again. However, looking this up in NI leads off to another string of dialogue that does not make any sense. This is quite major because in order to start the warehouse, new bandits, and lighthouse parts of the mod, I had to SetGlobal "BHHandQuestAccept" to 1.

MARKER AND WORLDMAP ISSUES
Just three fairly major things here:
1. The StrRefs of the markers look incorrect in BH0700 (sewers)
2. The StrRef of the marker in the basement level of Bone Hill that leads to the area with the Statue and the Beholder/Spectator looks incorrect (can't recall the area code here)
3. All the World Map labels of BoneHill totally incorrect

ITEM TEXTS
Just one here:
1. Zahrdahl's notebook shows incorrect description text

Not sure whether this is only due to my install (check my sig), but if anyone else with a similar build to me could verify any of these that would help in determining whether this really is a global issue not just an isolated one.

Overall, as a first run, I found SoBH quite enjoyable, although the tavern wench bug was a little annoying and some areas seemed really barren (lotsa walking and not much interesting to do in some areas when exploring, such as climbing up all those mountains in Bald Hill). Thanks for all the hard work, Sir BillyBob.

Edited by Ascension64, 23 December 2004 - 03:31 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:30 AM

I should mention some other bugs that I do not think have been reported on these forums:

BH1100 (Bald Hill)
There are two spots where you can walk straight off the cliff:
1. At position approximately x=1390 y=2924, one can walk straight of the cliff
2. At position approximately x=2577 to 2634, y=2830, one can walk straight of the top of this ledge

VOLCIFAR (dialogue)
You could tell him about your adventures on Bone Hill without even going to Bone Hill in the first place

SIR BILLYBOB (dialogue) - who would have thought he was erroneous :lol:

Ah, that would be Krellus.  He has been a thorn in my side for awhile now.  Excellent work, young <MAMESIR>.  If you get the chance, please keep checking there for any more orcs.  Also, I am interested in what happended to a caravan that is missing.  I suspect that Krellus had something to do with it.

Here, <MAMESIR> appears blank in the game.

CLEAR OUT ABANDONED GUARDHOUSE
The quest does not clear from the Quests part of the Journal even though the quest is finished. A minor bug, since an entry is still placed in the Completed Quests section.

GRAPHICAL BUGS

BH0100 (Restenford)
Door to Pelltar's building with all the apprentices does not need to be opened to enter the building
Door to Tavern of the West Wind does not need to be opened to enter the building
Door to Barracks at middle top of the map does not need to be opened to enter the building
Door to Falco's Tavern does not need to be opened to enter the building

BH0402 (Tunnels of Old Guardhouse)
Purple of secret door does not completely disappear when opened

BH0200 (Restenford East)
There is some really weird shading just to the right of the mountains where you can actually see slabs of shading, but all characters in these slabs appear black (I noticed a tile mismatch as well near the bottom right of this big mountain)

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:25 AM

BoneHill isn't on your Worldmap yet. It is there, but I haven't updated the areas to display the worldmap yet, so it will stay buggy for now.

Doors - I had posted a question about this on TeamBG the day before it went south. So I still don't have an answer on how to lock the door and travel region together. I have noticed that other doors in BGT have this problem too.

BH0200 - Shading caused by the IETME program when selecting areas to darken, it is next to impossible to select the next area exactly without either missing a section of map or overlapping like you see here. My solution - please fix it for me ;).

Zahrdahl's notebook and all other new items get their new text from the TP2 file. So I guess something else stepped on that string number. I am seeing alot of that in CtB for some reason.

The tavern wench issue is not totally a bug. You get this because you insist on clicking on Fabio immediately after his first dialog (I do it to). If you give the game a few seconds, it will run this script. My only other choice was to do a cutscene and those run the risk of breaking and not allowing you access to the game. My other option may be to have the wench standing next to him when you walk up. That way, she should be able to start the dialog before you click again.

Gelpas has plenty more dialog but it happens when you are in Pelltar's locations, not in the castle. So changing the global actually breaks your game. When you met him, what he said was all there was to say.

Secret doors - Go figure. It took several attempts to even get it to work right. I can't tell what is causing the purple to display when other secret doors work fine.

Thanks for finding all of this. I wanted to catch all these problems before finishing the sequel.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:15 PM

Gelpas has plenty more dialog but it happens when you are in Pelltar's locations, not in the castle.  So changing the global actually breaks your game.  When you met him, what he said was all there was to say.

Changing the global actually allowed me to finish Bonehill, but that's beside the point. Where and when should Gelpas appear?. I can't find that trigger in NI but I'm interested in testing this out with a savegame I have at the start of Bonehill.

Fabio and the Tavern Wench works fine. Is it not possible to modify the dialogue so that it seamlessly flows from the first Fabio chat, to the Tavern wench, back to Fabio?

Edited by Ascension64, 23 December 2004 - 06:21 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#5 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:51 AM

Fabio and the Tavern Wench works fine. Is it not possible to modify the dialogue so that it seamlessly flows from the first Fabio chat, to the Tavern wench, back to Fabio?

Great idea. I'll try that.

When you leave Restenford for the first time, Gelpas stops Pelltar from sending you back. That is the dialog you affected. This starts the quest for the Glorious Hand.

Classic Adventures

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

When you leave Restenford for the first time, Gelpas stops Pelltar from sending you back.  That is the dialog you affected.  This starts the quest for the Glorious Hand.

View Post

This part works fine.

--------------
Retired Modder

#7 Suluku

Suluku
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:20 AM

Have just finished SoBH with the same 'Big' build.

The only real problem I encountered was that many of on-screen text messages
(brought up by left-clicking when the ? icon appears as the cursor moves over a store signboard, for example) were messed up - just random inter-NPC banters. The problem mostly arose with store and tavern names, but also affected one of two map headers, descritions of the dead thief and his lair under the burnt out barracks and also the gallows tree. I'm not sure if the problem is particular to this 'big' build or merely to the current version of SoBH. I'm using the patched version (1.1) plus King Diamond's graphical refinements. I also have NTotSC installed.

Like other posters, I also encountered a few minor dialogue glitches. The party had the option of tellling Pelltar about a visit to Bone Hill before they reached that area, and they kept the Black pearl in their inventory despite 'giving' it to Wencar. Furthermore, Wencar suggested that the party talk to the mage who runs the tavern about missing money and this character told us that the gnome in the lighthouse was acting strangely. But nothing changed in the lighthouse until we had a further talk with Pelltar. Shifting the trigger back to the dialogue in the tavern would make the game flow better, I would think.

I found the mod great fun to play. But, like several other players I did find the battles a little easy even though I don't use any cheese (except maximum HP on level up), rushed to Nashkel and began the mod straight after clearing the mines. The most challenging battle was at the end when the mercenaries came seeking a certain staff, and that was mainly because they used potions.

If I was designing this mod, I would be tempted to beef up the Gnolls with a higher proportion of Slashers/Captains, likewise the Hobgoblins with more Elites. Throw in a shaman or two who can cast bless, entangle, summon insects, etc and things could get interesting. I also think that the upper floor opponent in Bone Hill could use a least one stoneskin and a few pre-summoned helpers - maybe a Skeleton Warrior or two. He only had time to launch one fireball before he was chunked.

Anyway, thanks for all your work in getting this mod up and running :thumb:

#8 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:19 AM

The only real problem I encountered was that many of on-screen text messages
(brought up by left-clicking when the ? icon appears as the cursor moves over a store signboard, for example) were messed up - just random inter-NPC banters. The problem mostly arose with store and tavern names, but also affected one of two map headers, descritions of the dead thief and his lair under the burnt out barracks and also the gallows tree.

View Post

I've made a fresh install yesterday and Yes - I've got the same text mess with areas' strefs and map markers as well.... It should be checked.

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:23 AM

Text information on a map is created when the ARE file is installed into your game. Weidu is told to use the predefined text I give it for those areas. A mix up will occur if you -

1. Changed the strref from what Weidu created during install.

2. Copied over another copy of the same ARE but didn't make sure the strrefs are the same.

3. Your dialog.tlk is already corrupt.

Since the TP2 file tells Weidu what to place as text at each location, either the TP2 has the wrong text (highly unlikely - I just looked at it), or the TP2 copies over a second version of the ARE and doesn't place the correct strrefs.

If you look at the BoneHill install folder, you will see that I have some ARE files stored at the root, and some are stored in the AREA subfolder. Thoses that have no text strings assigned (usually ARE files for inside areas) are in that subfolder. Any ARE file that is sitting in the root BoneHill folder cannot be just "copied" to an override folder. You have to copy them with Weidu telling the game what the strrefs are.

KD, I expect yours to be wrong because you have been fixing some area files, if you ever copied them between folders, it is possible to trash the strrefs. For anyone else, they did something weird to the ARE file also. Or, they have done something to their dialog.tlk file that is reflecting this problem to the areas.

Classic Adventures

#10 Suluku

Suluku
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:23 AM

Well, speakings as a member of the 'anyone else' fraternity, I did copy a batch of fixed area files, downloaded from KD's site, into my override folder. That is obviously the source of the problem. Its a learning experience :P

#11 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

KD, I expect yours to be wrong because you have been fixing some area files, if you ever copied them between folders, it is possible to trash the strrefs.

View Post

RIGHT! :)

(last update: 02-12-2008)
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:13 PM

Well, speakings as a member of the 'anyone else' fraternity, I did copy a batch of fixed area files, downloaded from KD's site, into my override folder. That is obviously the source of the problem. Its a learning experience  :P

View Post

Isn't it though? This is why files like ARE, CRE, and ITMs can't just be zipped up and sent out to you. They have to have a TP2 and Weidu install so that their text is correct. Even if you install the same mods I do and in the same order, it is possible to have the string references off. Guaranteed to be a mismatch if the mods are not the same or installed in a different order.

Classic Adventures

#13 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:59 PM

Well, speakings as a member of the 'anyone else' fraternity, I did copy a batch of fixed area files, downloaded from KD's site, into my override folder. That is obviously the source of the problem. Its a learning experience  :P

View Post

Isn't it though? This is why files like ARE, CRE, and ITMs can't just be zipped up and sent out to you. They have to have a TP2 and Weidu install so that their text is correct. Even if you install the same mods I do and in the same order, it is possible to have the string references off. Guaranteed to be a mismatch if the mods are not the same or installed in a different order.

View Post

If you guys wanna "beat the clock", here's what I did:

I put the fixed areas and files from the forums INTO the proper mod folders BEFORE running weidu Setup-xxxx.exe. Hehehehe.........suckaz!!!! :P

#14 rangerfox

rangerfox
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

I finished the first part of SoBH this morning with the same mods installed, plus the BG1NPC mod.
I also had the wrong text on the sewer map, and I encountered one major bug.

When I went to talk to Pelltar to start the last quests, Gelpas and a guard came in as I assume they're supposed to, but the text was all messed up, and they just kept badgering me over and over. I had to ctrl+y them and manually set the BHHandQuest variable to finish it off.

I'm not sure what caused this, and I don't know how I can find the root of this problem.

#15 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

Install the 1.9 patch. That has a fix for Pelltar's dialog.

Classic Adventures